Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's been far better in big games so far. Opposite of Sancho who struggles in them but does well in smaller games. Just rotate them basically...

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Again, puts a shift in out of possession, holds onto the ball well, but his one dimensionality in the final third couple with his aching lack of pace is a concern.

El Jefe

The only way anyone doesn't understand the criticism he gets is if you bury your head in the sand.

Both Garnacho and Fred have more goal contributions than him this season in less minutes too. He has about the same as Sancho too despite the latter playing poorly and being in exile for months.

I'm not even the biggest fan of stats and have a lot of appreciation for players who can facilitate attacking moves but not necessarily get the last pass. This doesn't describe Antony as I feel most actions he takes in the final third reduces the likelihood of a goal.

The defence for him seems to be we've been winning games and having a successful season with him as a starter. If that's your defence, will you extend that courtesy to Weghorst?

His skillset is painfully limited for an attacking player and we have Rashford and Bruno to thank for it not costing us a lot more points this season.

The only way anyone doesn't understand the criticism he gets is if you bury your head in the sand.

Both Garnacho and Fred have more goal contributions than him this season in less minutes too. He has about the same as Sancho too despite the latter playing poorly and being in exile for months.

I'm not even the biggest fan of stats and have a lot of appreciation for players who can facilitate attacking moves but not necessarily get the last pass. This doesn't describe Antony as I feel most actions he takes in the final third reduces the likelihood of a goal.

The defence for him seems to be we've been winning games and having a successful season with him as a starter. If that's your defence, will you extend that courtesy to Weghorst?
Has Weghorst scored against Arsenal, City & Barcelona?

The United

He is similar to Dirk Kuijt, a defensive winger. He'll score a few odd goals here and there, but it's unclear what kind of creativity or excitement he brings to the team at this moment.

What a miserable bunch :lol:

One week on from his introduction completely turning the tide vs Barca & just 3 days after excellent first half in our first trophy win in years & here you all are :houllier:

He’s scored vs. the 3 best sides we’ve played by some distance this season, we look miles more balanced and better at keeping possession with him in the team and we’re having a cracking season, you absolute miserable numpties.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not even a week ago he scored the winner against Barcelona, right bunch of whiney sods you lot

No but what does that have to do with anything?
Scoring goals against the best opponents we face all season as a winger vs. a striker with one single goal against lower league oppo?
You really need me to answer that?

In the biggest games, Weghorst has fallen massively short, whereas Antony’s best moments have all been in the biggest games.
Give me a big game player any day over someone smashing the smaller teams, that we have no issues beating regardless.

El Jefe

Scoring goals against the best opponents we face all season as a winger vs. a striker with one single goal against lower league oppo?
You really need me to answer that?
Your point has little to do with my original post.

Antony scored on his debut and then scored a consolation goal two PL games later to make it 4-1 against City. Five months later he scores a hugely crucial goal to send us through against Barca. Trying to sum up Antony's season into these three moments is just desperate.

A whole bunch of posters get defensive when he is criticised but Antony is toothless, it's the unbiased truth. He might work hard and keep the ball but we never look threatening with him on the pitch.

We've looked at our best this season with Bruno on the right and Weghorst in behind Rashford.
In October (let’s also note you were whining about Bruno before then also, hoping ETH wakes up to his shit or something or other).

The cheek of this lad going to EtH saying he wants to be up front. Someone needs to tell him that he's a dreadful striker.

Nowhere near clinical enough and seriously poor with his holdup play. Any game where space in behind is denied he does feck all.

He should be only play on the left. If he doesn't like it he can leave.
Safe to say you love a whine, and thank feck ETH isn’t as reactive as yourself.

Your point has little to do with my original post.

Antony scored on his debut and then scored a consolation goal two PL games later to make it 4-1 against City. Five months later he scores a hugely crucial goal to send us through against Barca. Trying to sum up Antony's season into these three moments is just desperate.
Desperate is trying to scrub off a goal v Arsenal because “debut” and a worldie v. City because we were losing.

You asked if we’ll extend the courtesy to Weghorst, but he’s:
a) played much less
b) been shite in the big games
c) had no big moments such as scoring a winner vs. Barca or vs. the league leaders.

And yes, if Weghorst did all those things, I’d extend him more courtesy for sure. He’d need to be a shit load better at keeping the ball under pressure though, and we’d need to look a much better and more balanced side with him in it rather than anyone else in his position, and we don’t.

Irwin99

His skillset is painfully limited for an attacking player and we have Rashford and Bruno to thank for it not costing us a lot more points this season.
Absolutely. Even when they frustrate you can see what they bring to the side.

He was poor tonight though, few would dispute that. I do share the frustration at his lack of assists and creativity for a winger. I think he will probably hit 10 goals scored for the season but his chance creation is poor. There are some matches where Garnacho's directness has actually looked worse for the team and games where Antony's retention of the ball has worked far better. Tonight was just the opposite though. Each has a different skillset and both are not the finished article yet.

El Jefe

In October (let’s also note you were whining about Bruno before then also, hoping ETH wakes up to his shit or something or other).

Safe to say you love a whine, and thank feck ETH isn’t as reactive as yourself.
Christ you're a sad lad, a bit sensitive too. You'll notice all my criticism of Antony is based on performances and stats and not a minority opinion either. The mere fact that you've pulled my post history on something totally unrelated just exposes your orginal post didn't make much sense.

Christ you're a sad lad, a bit sensitive too. You'll notice all my criticism of Antony is based on performances and stats and not a minority opinion either. The mere fact that you've pulled my post history on something totally unrelated just exposes your orginal post didn't make much sense.
It exposes just how incredibly reactive you are on match by match basis, and should lead anyone to not really take your constant whining seriously.
In May you’ll be telling us how amazing he is when he plays a blinder in the FA Cup final, just like how you’ve flip flapped with Bruno & Rashford already this season.
From “he’s an awful striker and ETH should let him leave if he wants to play there” to “we play our best football with Rashford up front”, it’s almost impressive how reactionary you are.

We all have our own idea of what makes a “sad” lad, I’d say coming on redcafe to whinge after beating Barca, winning the League Cup and getting in the FA Cup quarter final is sad as feck, but each to their own eh?

Last edited:

El Jefe

It exposes just how incredibly reactive you are on match by match basis, and should lead anyone to not really take your constant whining seriously.
In May you’ll be telling us how amazing he is when he plays a blinder in the FA Cup final, just like how you’ve flip flapped with Bruno & Rashford already this season.
From “he’s an awful striker and ETH should let him leave if he wants to play there” to “we play our best football with Rashford up front”, it’s almost impressive how reactionary you are.

We all have our own idea of what makes a “sad” lad, I’d say coming on redcafe to whinge after beating Barca, winning the League Cup and getting in the FA Cup semi final is sad as feck, but each to their own eh?
I'm on the forum to give my opinion not to prove I'm always right :lol:

Now you might take this extra serious and want to always be the super fan who gets nothing wrong so you can beat your chest and call out posters.

Your Rashford point proves my point exactly. He was poor and was widely criticised and everyone has been praising him and ETH for turning it around. Things can change in football so fingerpointing in hindsight just looks well, sad.

I say what my eyes tell me. If Bruno is shite i call it, if he's world class I call it. I just care about being a fan and don't mind being proven wrong. I promise you I don't care about being wrong on a player, it's really not that serious.

I'm on the forum to give my opinion not to prove I'm always right :lol:

Now you might take this extra serious and want to always be the super fan who gets nothing wrong so you can beat your chest and call out posters.

Your Rashford point proves my point exactly. He was poor and was widely criticised and everyone has been praising him and ETH for turning it around. Things can change in football so fingerpointing in hindsight just looks well, sad.

I say what my eyes tell me. If Bruno is shite i call it, if he's world class I call it. I just care about being a fan and don't mind being proven wrong. I promise you I don't care about being wrong on a player, it's really not that serious.
Let’s just leave this back on you comparing Antony’s contribution with Weghorst then, I’ll leave you with your own comments earlier, which alone tell you what a daft point you were trying to make…

Feck me Weghorst is shite. It's a miracle we are where we are with him in the team.
If you care about being a fan, may I suggest more time supporting, especially during good periods, enjoy it, and spend less time whining? No need to take everything so seriously, watching your team play and do so well after years of being a bit wank should be an extremely enjoyable experience.

r1z3mu

Does anybody remember Dan James? We paid 12M for him. His performances were OK for money we paid.
We paid 90M for Antony and for now he doesn't look like 90M player. But let's give him time. Hopefully he will adapt.

El Jefe

Let’s just leave this back on you comparing Antony’s contribution with Weghorst then, I’ll leave you with your own comments earlier, which alone tell you what a daft point you were trying to make…

If you care about being a fan, may I suggest more time supporting, especially during good periods, enjoy it, and spend less time whining? No need to take everything so seriously, watching your team play and do so well after years of being a bit wank should be an extremely enjoyable experience.
As I said, sad.

Anyway I'll leave you to continue policing my posts, only about 3500 left to go. Should be an easy night's work for you.

Stacks

I actually think he has done better for us than his ability level to be honest. If he played for Leicester or West Ham, simply put we would not be interested and he would not be their best player

SAF is the GOAT

He really has to stop trying to run into the middle in order to score, he's way too predictable.

He really needs to start dribble and come 1v1, beat the defender and cross it to someone of our players in the box.

skc_18

Our options on the right are so bad , apart from Antony we have only Bruno.I think he is doing okay but given his price tag he will always be criticized.

But I am surprised he does not have any assists so far , he played almost 26 games and no assist so far. Given his playing position, I expected more assists from him compared to Goals. May be I am thinking too much into this or his linkup play with team is probably taking time.

Newtonius

Quite easily the biggest question of ETH's tenure so far was being so desperate for him he obviously values work rate but that was quite a price tag for the overall package.

NoPace

Whoever we sign as a #9 needs to have good chemistry with him, presumably by being a threat at the back post/penalty spot as he does look to hit the ball there, and/or making a horizontal run to his right/ahead of him when he's cutting in to maybe shoot from 20-25 yards.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Really hope he steps up next season. We’ve seen some very good things but ultimately if you can’t make that yard to get yourself ahead of a defender you’ll struggle to be a top player. It’s also why he takes so many random shots or very early passes inside as he’s lacking the confidence to erm attack the space.

Early days still.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He really has to stop trying to run into the middle in order to score, he's way too predictable.

He really needs to start dribble and come 1v1, beat the defender and cross it to someone of our players in the box.
Easier said than done.
1. It's not too often when you find yourself 1vs1 because many teams bring 2 or 3 players to defend an area
2. Even if he gets in such position he can only gain some space to shoot or pass because he does not have the pace to burst from a full back - at least not a decent one
3. In order to cross he can only come to the inside, because he has no right foot and never uses it, he knows why.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
He's very good in possession, rarely loses the ball, presses well and links up play. Scores the odd goal here and there too.

He'll come good. Still his 1st season here.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Does anybody remember Dan James? We paid 12M for him. His performances were OK for money we paid.
We paid 90M for Antony and for now he doesn't look like 90M player. But let's give him time. Hopefully he will adapt.
Well it's a good job we didn't pay 90M for Antony then.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I actually think he has done better for us than his ability level to be honest. If he played for Leicester or West Ham, simply put we would not be interested and he would not be their best player
That's actually a good assessment. Although in the league he has not been directly involved in a goal for 700 minutes, so that's reflected. Doing much better in cups though (apart from yesterday).

Being predictable is one of his lesser issues.

Sylar

He was ok. Whilst the cut onto his left his predictable, he still manages to get his shot off, sorta like robben was doing (but without the killer finish).

Lee565

He isn't helped by the fact of what garnacho is doing on the opposite flank of taking on and beating his man often and think why can't Antony do the same as he is no slouch himself

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Decent overall but his strikes were proper meh. Want to see him smash one for a change.
At least we know he has a good shot on him. He’s scored some cracking goals and his technique is obviously very good.

What I really want to see from him is a decent cross or two. He hardly ever chooses to hit a cross when he’s created some space for himself. And I can’t remember a single good cross from him all season. But it seemed to be a real feature of his game at Ajax.

Sea-Cow

He's very good in possession, rarely loses the ball, presses well and links up play. Scores the odd goal here and there too.

He'll come good. Still his 1st season here.
Really? I don't have any numbers to support or refute this, but my eye test says that he gives it away constantly. Maybe it could be clarified by saying, he rarely loses the ball in the defensive and middle thirds of the pitch, which is good and should be lauded, but in the final third he loses possession any time he tries anything other than a pass back to the fullback.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
What a miserable bunch :lol:

One week on from his introduction completely turning the tide vs Barca & just 3 days after excellent first half in our first trophy win in years & here you all are :houllier:

He’s scored vs. the 3 best sides we’ve played by some distance this season, we look miles more balanced and better at keeping possession with him in the team and we’re having a cracking season, you absolute miserable numpties.
This should be a sticky at the top of the thread.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Really? I don't have any numbers to support or refute this, but my eye test says that he gives it away constantly. Maybe it could be clarified by saying, he rarely loses the ball in the defensive and middle thirds of the pitch, which is good and should be lauded, but in the final third he loses possession any time he tries anything other than a pass back to the fullback.
Yes, that's what I meant. His ball retention in the middle third and defensive areas is very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.