Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He needs to continue growing bit by bit like he is the next arjen robben.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Now, if only he could use his right foot once in a while :smirk:

Grande

He did ok for me based on his own established level, and I also agree he was crucially important for us today also apart from the goal. He covered us a few times when Wan Bissaka got brain fever towards the end of his stint. His retaining the ball as many have mentioned. The best and worst of him today was his continuous runs in counter situations, where, if he hadn’t been so inconsistent in his choices, would have completely killed Barca there for a while. Had he shielded that ball from Christensen, cut in that low criss for Rashford, played Rashford through instead of dribling and turning back at least two times, we’d have been cruising. All made from his own decisive runs in transition, without like Rashford and Sancho shirking in the defensive work for that reason.

In a paradoxical way, he offers what Weghorat does, with added goals.

Amarsdd

Antony brings so much balance to the team. We clearly miss him when he's not playing.

zenith

What really makes me happy is how after so many years we finally have amazing quality on the flanks. True game chargers in the form of rashford, Sancho, antony and garnacho and with all of them still being so young.

We've not had this level of quality in crucial positions in ages. All of them are capable of changing a game on its head. Amazing. Loving every minute of this.

Now if only we can get a world class striker, this team will be going places

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He makes a massive difference. Only thing stopping him from being a genuine world class player is decision making, and well he just turned 23 and is in his first season in the prem. Brilliant technique, has the pace, has the work rate, ability but just needs to get the decisions right. His off the ball movement is very good and he made such a difference to us both in build up in being able to shield the ball and get in danger positions... And then the goal was class. Made a lot of poor decisions in attack but it's something that can flip like a switch with young players.

JuriM

The very creative flair players are usually haunted by many for not working hard enough for the team and being defensive solid - Antony is absolutely different class in that team and he excelled in defensive duties and works hard for the team.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The very creative flair players are usually haunted by many for not working hard enough for the team and being defensive solid - Antony is absolutely different class in that team and he excelled in defensive duties and works hard for the team.
True. I can't remember a time when he didn't help defending/covering for his RB. He's not Nani but he brings so much balance, I guess you can't have it all.

OmarUnited4ever

The way he chased Balde and made sure that he didn't get to the ball was for me better than the goal, he plays with heart and desire, and I like that about a player, the goal was a well taken superb shot.

Eric_the_Red99

Took his goal very well and played well overall. But his lack of a right foot is costing us goals.

Rashford would have had an easy tap in if Antony had simply crossed the ball with his right, rather than cutting inside to use his left. As well as making the cross more difficult than it needed to be, doing this also slows the play down, giving defenders an extra half-second, which can be crucial.

ETH is too smart not to see this as an issue, so I don’t know if it will just take a while for Antony to change this part of his game. Everything else he does is very promising, but being so one-footed does put a hard ceiling on how good he can be.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Took his goal very well and played well overall. But his lack of a right foot is costing us goals.

Rashford would have had an easy tap in if Antony had simply crossed the ball with his right, rather than cutting inside to use his left. As well as making the cross more difficult than it needed to be, doing this also slows the play down, giving defenders an extra half-second, which can be crucial.

ETH is too smart not to see this as an issue, so I don’t know if it will just take a while for Antony to change this part of his game. Everything else he does is very promising, but being so one-footed does put a hard ceiling on how good he can be.
Yeah, he doesn't seem comforteable using his right foot (obviously) but also outside of his left foot. He needs to figure it out.

dutchred

Antony is going to be a very important player for us. With him it's like having an extra midfielder on the right. He helps the full back a lot and is great at holding the ball up to allow the defenders and midfielders to come out of the defensive areas. Although I agree about the use of the right foot

jackal&hyde

Agree. He might not be fully adjusted in the creative or going past players sense but he is great at being part of the system. He also scores good goals so for his first season as a young player, he is doing very, very well. Will be a monster soon enough imo.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

That's assuming it'd have been accurate

Grande

Sorry I don’t see it mate. Did you see the difference in dynamism of the team when he replaced Wout?
Well, there are many ways that comparison is just absurd. What I meant, though, was that through very different roles, and very different competencies, they both contribute much to sustained high pressure, retaining the ball in transition, enabling the team in the phase from getting through the mid third of the pitch, much more than pitching in goals or assists, or making decisive plays in the last third (so far). Through this, they complement and accomodate for players like Bruno, Rashford and Sancho.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Yeah, he doesn't seem comforteable using his right foot (obviously) but also outside of his left foot. He needs to figure it out.
Yeah, the guy's made it all the way to a club the stature of Manchester United and the Brazilian national side . . . he better figure it out with that right foot! The European footballing geniuses would've turned the likes of Maradonna, Antonio Valencia and Anthony into perfect League 1 footballers. When will they figure it out that their awkward one footedness is what got them where they are, not what's holding them back.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Its hard to dispose him off the ball. He isn't your explosive dynamic dribbler . He is more of a composed keep the ball and goal scoring winger.

The expectations here are different.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Yeah, the guy's made it all the way to a club the stature of Manchester United and the Brazilian national side . . . he better figure it out with that right foot! The European footballing geniuses would've turned the likes of Maradonna, Antonio Valencia and Anthony into perfect League 1 footballers. When will they figure it out that their awkward one footedness is what got them where they are, not what's holding them back.
You don't think his one footedness is holding Antony back?
Valencia was amazing with outside of his foot tbh. It's a difficult skill but imo easier to learn than learning on how to use right foot for a player like Antony. He will figure it out.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Say what you want about the guy, but the thing that separates Antony from Sancho, is that Antony never looks fearful of the big stage. Nor does he let past failures get in the way of him being aggressive and wanting the ball. Love the competitive spirit from the kid and how much effort he gives on the pitch.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You don't think his one footedness is holding Antony back?
Valencia was amazing with outside of his foot tbh. It's a difficult skill but imo easier to learn than learning on how to use right foot for a player like Antony. He will figure it out.
I think even his staunchest of fans would accept and understand his not trusting of his right foot is hindering him a bit.

The weird thing is when he does use it, he's actually alright with it. He hit a half decent volley in 1 of his last games, he had a close shot against Chelsea etc.

It just seems more like a lack of trust in his own ability at the moment. One day he will start doing it and the penny will drop.

Nico87

I like Sancho but while they have both shown similar flaws and some of the same qualities I’m much more confident that Anthony will make it here as he has the aggression and intensity that I fear the former lacks. As well as a burst of pace which once he uses more frequently, will be regularly beating his man, which is currently his main issue.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Not my favourite player in this team to be honest. There are so many things about him that piss me off, the guy can’t cross(how the feck?) but I love the dog in him. Out wide is the smallest space for attackers and being a hustler is important in that position.
I’d never describe a wide player as inconsistent because all wide players are naturally inconsistent, that’s why they are the most substituted in games. The only ones that don’t get sub alot are the goal scoring types or David Beckham type.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think even his staunchest of fans would accept and understand his not trusting of his right foot is hindering him a bit.

The weird thing is when he does use it, he's actually alright with it. He hit a half decent volley in 1 of his last games, he had a close shot against Chelsea etc.

It just seems more like a lack of trust in his own ability at the moment. One day he will start doing it and the penny will drop.
Sound ridiculous but it seems like he seems much more eager to shoot than to pass.. Yesterday he had a lot of time to pass into the right area where Rashford was running. He could've done it slowing down and passing with his left foot imo. Whether that is lack of experience, or bad judgement, hard to tell, but he also shoots much more often than makes a cross. That's a bit weird, considering he has a beautiful left foot and he gets into a lot of good positions to cross the ball.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sound ridiculous but it seems like he seems much more eager to shoot than to pass.. Yesterday he had a lot of time to pass into the right area where Rashford was running. He could've done it slowing down and passing with his left foot imo. Whether that is lack of experience, or bad judgement, hard to tell, but he also shoots much more often than makes a cross. That's a bit weird, considering he has a beautiful left foot and he gets into a lot of good positions to cross the ball.
Think it was just a difficult situation to assess.

He was probably thinking of scoring first but then noticed Rashford coming out of nowhere and thought it was better to pass. Got stuck in 2 minds maybe?

I don't think the pass was awful either, Christiansen just got a touch on it which took it out of it's path.

It was great to see him burning away from the defender though!

Greck

This whole right foot thing is very biased I think. I can't imagine him to be much more one-footed than similar right-footed wingers. Sure it would be great if he improved on it, but he just needs to make better decisions and try different type of shots I feel.
Big Antony defender here but there's merit to that one criticism, that is the weaker foot thing. When a situation overwhelmingly favours going on the outside he resists. Weaker foot usage doesn't need to be good or even average, conditionally below average is realistic, as long as it's not completely non-existent.

Malone_Post

‘We look better with him in the team’

Of course we do. He’s the only naturally inverted right winger that we have at the club. When he’s not available it means someone has to play out of position and the balance is lost. Vital we get him some competition next season (or Diallo is able to come into the squad and compete)

That said it was a lovely finish last night, and he played his part in a far better second half performance. His work rate was phenomenal as always too. He has too many flaws in his game to ever be a top class player, but I think he has enough to play his part. Please stop with the Robben comparisons though. They’re silly.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
22 years old and was always going to take time to settle.
Even so, he's done fine so far. The side is noticeably better with him in it, he’s scored a few good goals. He’s done more in 6 months than Sancho in 2 years.

there is one thing though: people keep saying”when he gets better on his right foot”. I think he’s had four years training under ETH, and will have done lots of work on it. Maybe it will happen, but I wouldn’t count on him suddenly improving on it. Some players go their whole career being very one-footed and do fine.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Think it was just a difficult situation to assess.

He was probably thinking of scoring first but then noticed Rashford coming out of nowhere and thought it was better to pass. Got stuck in 2 minds maybe?

I don't think the pass was awful either, Christiansen just got a touch on it which took it out of it's path.

It was great to see him burning away from the defender though!
I think it was just lack of experience. Bruno would go for a pass right away, an experienced attacker would get stay in front of Christiansen and either got him booked (red) or found a way to square it. He had a few options really. That said, it's not a big deal. I will be worried if he does that regularly. Right now I'm happy he got into that position in the first place.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Loved his calmness during Barca game, even the celebration wasnt over the top.

Tarrou

having a winger that works this hard is brilliant for the team

its not like he's a clogger like Kuyt or anything either, he's got quality

if he can develop a bit more in terms of end-product, he'll be dynamite..

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Wanted to say the same. Despite being a flair player, his work rate is highly impressive. A few tweaks by ETH and he will be a top top player

Status
Not open for further replies.