5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt851

I saw more positive things by Gakpo today in 90 minutes than by Antony in all the games he played for us. And Gakpo would have been half the price. What the hell?
True but then you compare gakpos record of goal and assists to antonys prior to moving to the pl, gakpo appears a much more effective attacker. Its hard to fathom what Antony has in his locker that would even make him a 50m player. According to many on here his ball retention is what makes him worthy of a place in the team but it isn't even very good. He often passes the ball back instead of attempting to take his man on

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Had a pretty good fist half but final third efforts need work. He has a stumbling block and lack of confidence in around the box. He knows he can’t beat the defenders pressure with a pass or a dribble. Hope he overcomes it.

binary bot
Don’t think I’ve ever seen a players one footedness be so detrimental to his overall game, and we’ve seen Valencia down the years. Even the ball roll thing he does is a product of it. Acres of space on his right at times and he can’t do anything with it. Those two outside of the foot punts into the box in the first half were painful

Jev

He's probably starting the next game because he's the only actual RW we've got and we've been better in more games with him on the pitch than without.

The only other real options are sticking Fernandes out there (who was just as bad if not worse), or Pellistri who spent the last two years sitting on the bench of the worst team in La Liga.
There's no reason not to give Pellistri a game. He's looked bright when he's played. Antony has not. Bruno has also looked decent on the right when he's had Sancho to play off in the middle. We've also barely tried Sancho at all on the right, even though he played there quite often for Dortmund. It's simply not true that there are no alternatives.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
People argue about pace but there was a moment in the first half where Rashford plays him through and he had no ability to run away from the defender. He definitely doesn’t seem fast to me

Dannn411

People argue about pace but there was a moment in the first half where Rashford plays him through and he had no ability to run away from the defender. He definitely doesn’t seem fast to me
That's because he isn't fast. He may be the worst winger I have ever seen in transitions/counters. Once the ball gets to him just know the counter is dead. And he cost almost £90m. Unbelievable.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is useful against parked bus where you need quick passes. But he is not a winger for counter attacks for sure. He kills nearly every counter with bad pass or wrong decision. Not to mention that he is afraid to go all the way. He runs down the line and when full back comes near he just stops.

Pickle85

Starting to think we've bought a dud for a LOT of money. Really poor today. Didn't do well when he tried to run at the fullback and his use of the ball was really poor outside of that. Very bad day.

rajds89

The lads pony. Can only hope next season he’ll kick on after his settling in season but right now, I can’t see it.

Ekeke

He's so incredibly predictable in the end. Sure when he's right out wide he'll do a few tricks to try and get free. But eventually you know he's coming inside on his left foot and wants to shoot. Occasionally he'll pass. Point is he's never going on the outside and a threat crossing with his right foot. He needs to mix it up or its too easy to defend against, other than occasionally when he's got great contact on his shot and its flown in.

spiriticon

I nearly flipped a table when he didn't release that cross early for Rashford in the first half.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Sounds harsh, but reckon the lad is just a bit thick. It's like every game he's starring in his own imaginary football version of The Fast and The Furious and despite nothing he's doing ever being effective he thinks that if he just keeps on busting it out 100% it will swing the odds in his favour. Football version of doing the same stupid thing over and over and expecting a different result.

IFC 1905

He's so incredibly predictable in the end. Sure when he's right out wide he'll do a few tricks to try and get free. But eventually you know he's coming inside on his left foot and wants to shoot. Occasionally he'll pass. Point is he's never going on the outside and a threat crossing with his right foot. He needs to mix it up or its too easy to defend against, other than occasionally when he's got great contact on his shot and its flown in.

Oh come on now. Nothing beats a good 360 when no one is marking you, especially if you're planning to lose the ball after that

jem

I tell you what, Amad Diallo should be given a real shot next year at the RW position.

next_number_seven

The lads pony. Can only hope next season he’ll kick on after his settling in season but right now, I can’t see it.
Me too.
Don't see anything in him. Has no brain.
Should be cutting inside looking for 1-2s or diagonal through ball.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I am at the point where I would not start him again in any meaningful game this season barring injury to others. He has done absolutely nothing to earn a starting spot. I would start Garnacho instead and let him figure it out on the right. Enough of mediocrity.
He’s shown absolute quality on numerous occasions this season. Weghorst on the other hand has been hilariously shite. One seems to be coming in for a lot more flack than the other because of…price tag? Not sure.

Jev

I nearly flipped a table when he didn't release that cross early for Rashford in the first half.
I got even more annoyed afterwards when he made a hand gesture signalling that he should have hit a high cross. No, idiot, that was not the problem. He's a very unintelligent footballer.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Yeah but at least try a different angle for his shots no ? It's always the same curler far post
Because he doesn't have the pace to create separation from the full back following inside so the gap is only to hit it outside the far post. He could try near post but it'll have to get through the full back.

marktan

Not a surprise to me, I watched his goals + assists last season from Eerdevisie and some highlight performances against better teams and his limitations were clear to see in about 30 mins of research.

Like Sancho that's all you really needed to do see their level. It's harder for midfielders and defenders to judge their level (for me anyway), but attackers you can acertain a lot.

Here's what I gathered:

marktan said:
From watching his 21/22 assists + goals the thing that stood out is just how poor the defending was. Most of the goals were him cutting inside and getting a free hit at goal.

Also one thing that stood out from watching his highlight videos is how he rarely took a player on to the outside, preferring to cut inside, and just how unexplosive his dribbling is compared to someone like Mane or Dembele. I'm not sure that'll translate very well to the PL in a similar way it didn't for Sancho.

Also a google shows me his CL opponents this year were Sporting, Besiktas, Dortmund and Benfica. Last year it was Pool, Atlanta and Midgetland and they got knocked out. So yeah for me anyway a lot of question marks. Especially at a big price point.
Got a lot of stick from people like @Chief123 and @roonster09 but hey ho.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

He’s shown absolute quality on numerous occasions this season. Weghorst on the other hand has been hilariously shite. One seems to be coming in for a lot more flack than the other because of…price tag? Not sure.
One works hard and has a goal, couple of assists and cost us nothing and towards the end of his career.

The other fecks about on the ball and ruins any speedy attacks and cost us £90m

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Because he doesn't have the pace to create separation from the full back following inside so the gap is only to hit it outside the far post. He could try near post but it'll have to get through the full back.
That's where the variety would be welcome tbh, a good ball shift and a run, maybe shooting through the player's legs. At least something different

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It's crazy just how many of these mega money signings flop. Not just at United either although we've had plenty of course.

Barca have had 2/3 over 100m that haven't worked. Chelsea with Lukaku, Grealish hasn't been great either.

Stop spending stupid money on footballers.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I swear I could tear my hair out watching him do the same thing over and over and refusing to go outside to his right foot.

Is that why ETH is bald?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Had a pretty good fist half but final third efforts need work. He has a stumbling block and lack of confidence in around the box. He knows he can’t beat the defenders pressure with a pass or a dribble. Hope he overcomes it.
I’m not sure how his dribbling can be worked on when he lacks a lot of the basic requirements. One footed would be fine if he had the raw pace of Valencia but he doesn’t.

He rolls the ball with the bottom of his foot until he creates less space for himself and then does feck all. If ETH can make something of this guy then I’ll be shocked

Dominos

Have any of his crosses actually found a team mate all season?

He hit the first man with his cross 3 times in a row in the first half. Incredibly frustrating.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Don't understand why someone wants to slow the game down when they're ahead of players, when the can't beat them?

You have a headstart, why slow it down? My thought is he is a self centred little attention seeker who wants the limelight

Matt851

That can't be real :lol:

It really is criminal.
Unsurprising though having watched his crossing

Would be great to hear from some of the people who were ardent in insisting his ball retention is excellent earlier in the week though

Status
Not open for further replies.