5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Son

He is a cut in and shoot spammer, of which Robben may be the premier exponent. Now Robben had much more to his game as well, but it is an ugly ass play style at the best of times.
I never heard anyone say Robben’s style was ugly. He was one of the best attacking players of all time at his peak at Bayern.

Antony will never get to his level. Robben ar Chelsea was dominating this league at the same age. They got a ridiculous amount of points with him in the side.

crossy1686

career ending
To be fair, Antony still hasn’t had a full season here yet and this season was disrupted by the WC. We should probably reserve proper judgement until next season at least.

spiriticon

There's a lot of kinks to iron out in his game but I think it can be done.

He just needs to watch more Robben videos. If he wants to cut in and shoot all the time, then you need to watch and learn from the very best.

Bobski

I never heard anyone say Robben’s style was ugly. He was one of the best attacking players of all time at his peak at Bayern.

Antony will never get to his level. Robben ar Chelsea was dominating this league at the same age. They got a ridiculous amount of points with him in the side.
No argument about his quality, one of the best wide players ever. Just from personnel taste the cut in and shoot style doesn't appeal to me aesthetically.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
There's a lot of kinks to iron out in his game but I think it can be done.

He just needs to watch more Robben videos. If he wants to cut in and shoot all the time, then you need to watch and learn from the very best.
He should absolutely not look at any of Robben's video, that's just not the kind of player he is or will ever be. Him not using his right foot doesn't make him a similar player. He'll never have the pace and raw power Robben had and that allowed him to take the best of his opponent in 1v1. On top of that, his ball handling while sprinting is pretty bad.
His strengths are his quick steps and his ball retention (on top of his signature shot), he should use that to throw defenders off balance to attack both sides of the box, sometimes do a fake shot and go right to create depth and a good cross opportunity. But it won't happen at the moment with that right foot he forgets he has.

NoPace

I'm nowhere near as down on him as most seem to be. He's 22, it's his first year in the Prem, and while he's frustrating, he's been okay considering that.

I'll judge the lack of assists when we have a proper #9. He and others have no confidence Weghorst can actually get across his man or reach a low cross or get in behind.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
So predictable that he is super easy to defend. And annoying as he even cuts in when the center is crowded and all the space outside

el3mel

When his one trick doesn't work, it's like playing with 10 men on the pitch (9 today).

Pretty much every single ball he got ended up with him cutting inside and trying to shoot.

We paid 100m for a player who can only do one skill on the pitch. Ridiculous.

Get rid of that one trick pony and sign a proper winger. Waste of money.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
No argument about his quality, one of the best wide players ever. Just from personnel taste the cut in and shoot style doesn't appeal to me aesthetically.
Surely no one in their right mind can deny Robben's dribbling was a work of art? That 2014 goal against Spain. Or the one against Schalke in the DFB semies. Or that one volley from a corner aga.... ok not going there.

spiriticon

He should absolutely not look at any of Robben's video, that's just not the kind of player he is or will ever be. Him not using his right foot doesn't make him a similar player. He'll never have the pace and raw power Robben had and that allowed him to take the best of his opponent in 1v1. On top of that, his ball handling while sprinting is pretty bad.
His strengths are his quick steps and his ball retention (on top of his signature shot), he should use that to throw defenders off balance to attack both sides of the box, sometimes do a fake shot and go right to create depth and a good cross opportunity. But it won't happen at the moment with that right foot he forgets he has.
I am hoping he can improve his power and physicality with a few months of gym work, otherwise it will be difficult for him in the Premier League.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Not surprised at all, his flaws were there for all to see. His strengths too, btw, so I think he will improve on his cutting inside and shooting/setting up a teammate
Thanks. His inability to dribble really surprised me. Won't even do step overs.

el3mel

He is a cut in and shoot spammer, of which Robben may be the premier exponent. Now Robben had much more to his game as well, but it is an ugly ass play style at the best of times.
Robben had multiple other tricks and solutions in his arsenal. He is known for this shot indeed but that wasn't the only thing he could do.

r1z3mu

We should stop comparing Antony and Robben. They are not in the same class. Robben was world class player and Antony is not and never will be. Scholes correctly identified Antony as one-trick pony.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He was just named least productive attacking player in top 5 leagues by the stats in one of the YouTube post game clips.

That's a bit harsh after a game where we collapsed for another reason, but still a food for thought for people who have been talking about Antony "improving recently", what I am not seeing at all.

lsd

The Oracle
Can we please just stop trying to compare him to Robben. Its an insult to Robben to even have his name mentioned with Antony

DarkXaero

He needs to add a lot more in his game but I think there's a lot of unfair scrutiny that comes primarily on the basis of his pricetag. He'll never live up to it, people need to accept that and move on. What Antony does need to have though is the ability to go to his right. His complete lack of a right foot right now severely limits his ability to impact games. If and once that happens, his game will dramatically improve.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I am hoping he can improve his power and physicality with a few months of gym work, otherwise it will be difficult for him in the Premier League.
Of course He can, but he'll never be comparable to Robben even if he spends 24/7 in the gym, that shouldn't be his target and he shouldnt be a model for him, he has other attributes he needs to exploit.

A player like Bernardo Silva (although à different player) managed to be one of the best players in the PL, Antony should be able to find hiw way as well. And it's certainly not the Robben way just because he doesnt feel like using his right foot.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I’d be looking to sell at the first opportunity. He’s got a great goal in him but we need so much more on that side if we want to push on.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't get as worried as a lot of our fans about him.
But there was one moment he had the ball at pace, had the defender all over the place. The space was obviously wide, and he still tried to go the long way round onto his left foot.

Suv666

I have no clue why we bought him. At least Sancho had two stellar seasons, it takes 2 games to figure out how one dimensional Antony is. Isn’t creative at all, doesn’t put good crosses in and I reckon I’ve literally never seen him beat a fullback.

How can you be a winger and not be able to dribble past players? That’s like being a CB who can’t defend.

And above all his situational awareness and footballing IQ is pretty low, seems to always go for the wrong option.

I know I’m being a bit too harsh given he hasn’t played a full season yet but these are traits that you can’t acquire overnight, certainly not after a player has turned 18.
He’s not going to start dribbling like Hazard in a year.

Its staggering the money we waste in every window. Going on for a decade now, when will we fecking learn ffs.

BluesJr

I have no clue why we bought him. At least Sancho had two stellar seasons, it takes 2 games to figure out how one dimensional Antony is. Isn’t creative at all, doesn’t put good crosses in and I reckon I’ve literally never seen him beat a fullback.

How can you be a winger and not be able to dribble past players? That’s like being a CB who can’t defend.

And above all his situational awareness and footballing IQ is pretty low, seems to always go for the wrong option.

I know I’m being a bit too harsh given he hasn’t played a full season yet but these are traits that you can’t acquire overnight, certainly not after a player has turned 18.

Its staggering the money we waste in every window. Going on for a decade now, when will we fecking learn ffs.
We still don’t recruit based on data and it shows. We do have a newly created data model which will hopefully yield greater results.

Galactico

He’s not terrible and he’s given us a few goals and always tracks back to help. I would give him more time to judge. At least he’s available to play which is a big plus for attacking options this season. I would keep Antony over what I’ve seen of Sancho, Weghorst and not seen of Martial this season.

Dearg hÉireann

Agree with every single word.

A desperate waste of money and ETH has to shoulder the flak if he doesn't produce more. Once the asking price for him went over 60M he should have pulled the plug because he's the most one dimensional winger I think I've ever seen.

Suv666

We still don’t recruit based on data and it shows. We do have a newly created data model which will hopefully yield greater results.
I doubt we properly scouted him. Just asked ETH who he wanted and pulled the trigger. We really need to move away from the archaic model of blindly going for the manager recommendations.

Klopp famously didn’t want Salah. A manger can be the best in the world but that doesn’t mean he’s got an eye for talent.

Hopefully we are sold soon and this madness ends. Sick of us pissing money away.

El Jefe

Comparing him to Robben is like hoping Mctominay will turn into Gerrard or Maguire becoming John Terry. Its a ludicrous comparison as there are a whole bunch of limited right wingers that Antony can be likened to before reaching Robben.

How about Yarmalenko, Adam Johnson, Hulk, Politano. He's closer to that level of player before even getting to players like Mahrez, Ben Arfa, Dembele etc.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
There were two or three plays where he had a ball on the edge of the box. Full back was literally opening him space on the right but Antony still goes left and plays safe pass.

As with every player, i will give full verdict about him in his second season but there are lots of things which i don't like about Antony so far. Maybe it is because of price. I can't get that 100 mil out of my head.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I doubt we properly scouted him. Just asked ETH who he wanted and pulled the trigger. We really need to move away from the archaic model of blindly going for the manager recommendations.

Klopp famously didn’t want Salah. A manger can be the best in the world but that doesn’t mean he’s got an eye for talent.

Hopefully we are sold soon and this madness ends. Sick of us pissing money away.
Klopp wanted Gotze and Brandt over Mane and Salah. Same as he is the one who insisted on Keita.

Suv666

Agree with every single word.

A desperate waste of money and ETH has to shoulder the flak if he doesn't produce more. Once the asking price for him went over 60M he should have pulled the plug because he's the most one dimensional winger I think I've ever seen.
I don’t really blame ETH but our wacky structure, if we have one. Even if he desperately wanted Antony the top brass should be stepping in and refuse to pay that much for an incredibly limited player.

We have had Moyes, LVG, Mou, Ole and now ETH signing high profile mega million flops (potential flop maybe Antony turns it around unlikely though).

The common denominator is to be blamed, clearly the club is going wrong somewhere whatever the scouting and the transfer process is it obviously sucks and should be nuked to oblivion. This many flops isn’t just bad luck and coincidences.

spiriticon

Of course He can, but he'll never be comparable to Robben even if he spends 24/7 in the gym, that shouldn't be his target and he shouldnt be a model for him, he has other attributes he needs to exploit.

A player like Bernardo Silva (although à different player) managed to be one of the best players in the PL, Antony should be able to find hiw way as well. And it's certainly not the Robben way just because he doesnt feel like using his right foot.
If he's not got power or physicality, then yes he needs to get his right foot sorted. I've not seen a winger as one-footed as him for a long time. Even Robben had an ok right foot, he just rarely used it to shoot.

As I said, many kinks to sort out, let's hope he can improve on at least one aspect by next season.

Roboc7

But we didn’t recruit anyone based on data and by and large recruitment has been good with ETH. Even with data going to get things wrong, Anthony and Martinez were recruited in exactly same way, one has been great one has flopped so far.

I think the one of the biggest problem with Utd is we seem to get fixated on players to the extent where the price becomes irrelevant. Guys like Anthony and Maguire are decent players but their real value was clearly closer to half what we paid.

lsd

The Oracle
Comparing him to Robben is like hoping Mctominay will turn into Gerrard or Maguire becoming John Terry. Its a ludicrous comparison as there are a whole bunch of limited right wingers that Antony can be likened to before reaching Robben.

How about Yarmalenko, Adam Johnson, Hulk, Politano. He's closer to that level of player before even getting to players like Mahrez, Ben Arfa, Dembele etc.

Heather Mills is a better comparison and I'd rather see her starting for us than Antony

BluesJr

But we didn’t recruit anyone based on data and by and large recruitment has been good with ETH. Even with data going to get things wrong, Anthony and Martinez were recruited in exactly same way, one has been great one has flopped so far.

I think the one of the biggest problem with Utd is we seem to get fixated on players to the extent where the price becomes irrelevant. Guys like Anthony and Maguire are decent players but their real value was clearly closer to half what we paid.
Data will get much more right than traditional methods, hence why it’s used by the most successful clubs and their transfers have a greater success rate.

spiriticon

I know this is the Antony thread, but Sancho has had 0 stellar seasons. Two stellar games maybe. If I was blind in those games.

Edit: Oh sorry, you were talking about Dortmund. Ignore me :lol:

Donut

I was saying he’s giving me Memphis vibes before we bought him but he’s actually even worse.

Maybe it’s just a long con and he’ll start using his right foot now that everyone has him completey figured out.

Suv666

Klopp wanted Gotze and Brandt over Mane and Salah. Same as he is the one who insisted on Keita.
Arguably one of the best managers around and he would have gotten it hilariously wrong. Yet we present the keys to the kingdom to whomever walks through the door.

And we continue doing the same shit over and over again refusing to learn from our mistakes probably hangover from the Fergie era, which could be mitigated if we bought some diverse perspectives in but we refuse to hire laterally and only stick with internal promotions. Lads who have only seen it done the way its being done. No surprise why nothing changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.