Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We are much better team with him as our RW, we don't have any other winger who brings what he does.

Edwards6

People wrote him off too soon, it's obvious we're a better team when he's on the right. Trust Ten Hag, there's a reason he was so desperate to bring him after working with him at Ajax

Dempsey19

I've seen it mentioned so many times that we are much better with him playing as our RW but that's so easy to say because we don't have anybody else who can do a job at RW. I'm excited about Pellestri but his minutes seem limited.

He still hasn't convinced me unfortunately and the reason is I can't get over the fee when it comes to judging him. Not his fault that it was a ridiculous fee though. But it does play a big part in it. I watch Malacia play at LB and I'm very impressed with him, not all the time of course as we have seen him play poor, but then you say he cost around 15m euros (may be wrong on exact price). I doubt you could sign any starting XI player from a premier league team right now for that price, which is quite wild come to think of it.

I just expect more from Antony. There's RWs in the league that you would immediately say are better just because of how direct they are, their stats might be zero zero but just the directness alone makes the difference. If he can just improve how direct he is then I think we would be onto something.

Here's the flip side then, his indirectness brings 3 or 4 players to him, I think I've seen it every single game he's played, why can't we use that to our advantage ? 3 or 4 players stuck to him should surely free up space for our mids and attackers, yet when he's fecked in that situation his only ball is back to AWB/Dalot or maybe Bruno who tries to help.

I'd love for him to succeed but unfortunately I just don't know how he can with the way he currently plays.

I don’t think ETH wants him to be so direct though, we have a winger/forward on the other side who is as direct as it comes and we’re still not a great team at keeping possession/controlling games.
What you refer to as Antony’s “indirectness” actually gives us much more control.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I haven't seen his stats for yesterday but I loved what I saw from Antony yesterday. He seemed much more like the Ajax Antony than he has all season: Running in behind, stretching play, getting passes into people in dangerous areas, taking players on. He, to me, was the game changer yesterday. I don't know where that came from but I wanna see more of it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I just can't see how a player with his ability/control on the ball doesn't put it together and improve his decision making to absolutely blow up as a player.

He has a good shot on him, can create that half yard of space very well, he is capable of playing good passes and capable of good crosses. Capable of embarassing opponents. He's very press resistant and it's very hard to take the ball off him. Has a good work rate. He's very ineffective a lot of times, he's inconsistent and has a lot of games where he ruins counters through bad decisions or holds on to the ball too much, or doesn't go at his player too often... But all those issues I just think will one day disappear and he'll just be a world class player. We'll see.

December_16

I just can't see how a player with his ability/control on the ball doesn't put it together and improve his decision making to absolutely blow up as a player.

He has a good shot on him, can create that half yard of space very well, he is capable of playing good passes and capable of good crosses. Capable of embarassing opponents. He's very press resistant and it's very hard to take the ball off him. Has a good work rate. He's very ineffective a lot of times, he's inconsistent and has a lot of games where he ruins counters through bad decisions or holds on to the ball too much, or doesn't go at his player too often... But all those issues I just think will one day disappear and he'll just be a world class player. We'll see.
I think so too. Feels like he was instructed to play this way and fulfill this role in the first season in the PL. With a left like his, he could easily switch to the other wing from time to time and start bombing crosses in - if he is told to do so. We see that precisely once this whole season. I think ETH knows what he wants out of Antony and will keep doing that as Antony still gets used to the league.

Sylar

Thats another occasion where a wide man (Antony again) comes on and does better. I do think our wingers seem to perform better with their cameos (maybe cos its against tiring legs). Ive seen Antony, Sancho, Pellestri and Garnacho have better performances as sub than a starter.

Antony did well and i thought his play in the leadup to the penalty was well done.

Doracle

A shame he doesn’t get the deserved assist for the penalty, as Sancho should have put it away (albeit maybe he was playing 4D chess and foresaw the chain of events arising from giving Willian a chance to block it :-)).

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He influences the game much much more through 90 mins than Sancho.

I see the potential to improve and him not being a dud.

If we get a striker than can play him on goal he can be deadly IMO.

Martial was doing this early on in the season.

Now we have Weghorst who is doing nothing much and Rashford who needs to be played in.

mikeyt

He's starting to show his quality, way more to come from him. If he bags a few more goals and assists his numbers won't be at all bad this season. Seems to be growing into English football.

Marwood

A bit? The witch-hunt for one of our new players is extremely weird by the Cafs usual standards.

I’m sure the posse will move on to abusing another player in due course.
No I mean this "trick" he does is getting a bit weird.

It's just so basic :lol:

It's no major deal obviously, doesn't warrant any abuse.

But if I were his coach everytime he does it in training I'd tell him to now do it with his right foot.

Bebestation

But if I were his coach everytime he does it in training I'd tell him to now do it with his right foot.
How is it basic!

He clearly enjoys doing on the football and it’s not exactly easy even if it’s easy for him to the point he keeps repeating it.

TheReligion

Abusive

Yeah I’m not sure if you’ve tried it but it’s incredibly hard. His close ball control is phenomenal.

I don’t know why people care either way!

Matt851

People wrote him off too soon, it's obvious we're a better team when he's on the right. Trust Ten Hag, there's a reason he was so desperate to bring him after working with him at Ajax
I agree we are probably better with hom on the right but that's a low bar given our other options aren't great. The right side of our team still doesn't offer anything near enough

El Jefe

I like Antony, he’s going to be one of those players people blame stuff on but we are a much better team with him playing on that wing.
If Antony wasn't a United player and we had Solly March, the team would be much better with him on the right wing too.

Being the best available doesn't mean you're good enough.

Antony might turn things around but being a better option than Sancho and Pellestri isn't much of a feat. If Greenwood was around and Antony was still a better option then that would mean a lot more.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
7 goals in all comps for us up to now, he may reach 10.
How does that compare to previous wingers we've signed in their first season?
Valencia 2009/2010 : 7 goals (and 13 assists) in 49 matches - 23 years old when he signed
Nani 2007/2008 : 4 goals (and 14 assists) in 41 matches - 20 years old when he signed

So Antony is still below them in the terms of assists but doing well enough in goals. He also doesn't have the luxury of playing for a stable team with a lot of winners in it, in those seasons United were the top team in England so there's that. Valencia also played less in the season after his first while Nani.... had his inconsistency issues. Both had periods where they were among the best wingers in the world though. So give the lad a chance. Every player has a different trajectory.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Valencia 2009/2010 : 7 goals (and 13 assists) in 49 matches - 23 years old when he signed
Nani 2007/2008 : 4 goals (and 14 assists) in 41 matches - 20 years old when he signed

So Antony is still below them in the terms of assists but doing well enough in goals. He also doesn't have the luxury of playing for a stable team with a lot of winners in it, so there's that. Valencia also played less in the season after his first while Nani.... had his inconsistency issues. Give the lad a chance.
Valencia was always a seriously underrated player. Those are damn good stats!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Apart from goals and assists, he was excellent ball carrier and also outlet for those long diagonal passes almost everytime.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Definitely underrated, was brought in after Ronaldo left and we didn't miss him that much because Valencia kept putting in top performances. And when he was 'finished' as a right winger he played as a right back superbly. Wingers hated playing against him, he's faster and stronger than most of them.

Bebestation

If Antony wasn't a United player and we had Solly March, the team would be much better with him on the right wing too.

Being the best available doesn't mean you're good enough.

Antony might turn things around but being a better option than Sancho and Pellestri isn't much of a feat. If Greenwood was around and Antony was still a better option then that would mean a lot more.
And again Antony in his debut season would play differently with Martial than he does with Weghorst.

An inverted forward needs the right balance of a striker - this is why oh why Osimhen would suck at United inbetween players like Rashford, Greenwood, Garanacho and Antony.

Bondi77

A bit? The witch-hunt for one of our new players is extremely weird by the Cafs usual standards.

I’m sure the posse will move on to abusing another player in due course.
Every player apart from Casemiro and Martinez has been abused at some point haven't they?

Bondi77

Ever heard the phrase "Sack Fergie, sell Giggs"? nobody has ever escaped it.
Apart from Rashford scoring goals and probably the performances of Casemiro, Lisandro and Luke there has not really been any consistency from any other individual in the team and that is why in the performance threads it is so up and down.
The old saying about only being as good as your last game definitely applies on here.

TheReligion

Abusive
Apart from Rashford scoring goals and probably the performances of Casemiro, Lisandro and Luke there has not really been any consistency from any other individual in the team and that is why in the performance threads it is so up and down.
The old saying about only being as good as your last game definitely applies on here.
Even this doesn’t apply to the master @Yagami

Casemiro’s career at Madrid did not save him

Bebestation

Asking consistency on a players first season here is pure deluded.

Never mind a new league, new City, a new language, new team mates.

The fact is that even if he hasn’t been consistent - he has been useful at useful times in his first season here, and been part of a cup winning team in the managers first season in a new league as well.

Bondi77

Asking consistency on a players first season here is pure deluded.

Never mind a new league, new City, a new language, new team mates.

The fact is that even if he hasn’t been consistent - he has been useful at useful times in his first season here, and been part of a cup winning team in the managers first season in a new league as well.
There have been plenty of players that have come to a new league and adapted and thrived for a lot less money but that doesn't really matter now.
Erik wanted him badly and the club went and got him so he will get plenty of time because of that and let us hope he comes good.

Bebestation

There have been plenty of players that have come to a new league and adapted and thrived for a lot less money but that doesn't really matter now.
Erik wanted him badly and the club went and got him so he will get plenty of time because of that and let us hope he comes good.
I think he has come good but not great.

He has already beaten Sancho’s first season and has plenty of games left to destroy it.

Let’s see if he can be a great player - a good player is not consistent, a great player is.

Marwood

How is it basic!

He clearly enjoys doing on the football and it’s not exactly easy even if it’s easy for him to the point he keeps repeating it.
Yeah I’m not sure if you’ve tried it but it’s incredibly hard. His close ball control is phenomenal.

I don’t know why people care either way!
Give it a go. It’s much harder to do than it looks.
Guys I'm not suggesting its basic for a clogger like me.

But for a top level pro? It's just a bit, I don't know what the word is, naff.

I'm not laying into him, it's no huge deal. I just find a player repeatedly doing such a pointless little spinny thing a bit odd.

And as I say, if I was his coach I'd be saying "yeah spinning around is great and all, now how about that right foot?"

Status
Not open for further replies.