Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I can give him extra time to see if he develops.

However, hope he doesn’t have Sancho wages that makes him un-sellable.

What’s his wages?

Bobski

All it will take is a bit more composure and variety in his finishing and he could be a 15 goal + a season guy, which would be more than acceptable productivity from the RW, even with his limitations in terms of one v one ability and top end speed.

It is an odd role these days.

Sylar

Well to be fair the pass to Rashford when Iwobi intercepted the ball was hospital. I don't blame him for that particular instance, but when you complete the picture (that he could finish the game with 2 goals and an assist) and AGAIN goes away with nothing is quite worrying.

Going for the far post shot when he had Rashford making a run also proves that's the only thing he has the confidence to do. I actually think he has a good reason for it as his passing is quite poor.

Anyway, he's OK in that kind of games, helps us to stretch the play, does a lot defensive work and gets into some good positions. It's just his productivity is really really poor for a winger considering he really gets into some good positions. Definitely our best RW, although if better than Bruno - I'm not convinced.
I never judge a player from first season especially when there's been no pre season. I think he's doing a lot right. I think the price can higher expectations. If we had got him for about 30m reckon people would be much happier with his contributions so far especially at his age.

What is the worry is that lack of right foot. It becomes way too predictable and you would hope even though it doesn't happen much at 21+, but, ideally he hads going out wide, putting in an early cross, or pass, or some near post shots etc. Will give the defenders something else to think about rather than worrying about left foot far post shot

Baneofthegame

Thought he was good today, should of got at least one goal and wasted another opportunity allowing Godfrey to get back when he was through.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Last 3 games his dribbling is less predictable - not perfect but defenitely can see that he is improving on it.

Chief123

I don’t think he’ll develop his game to score those chances, you have it or you don’t. We’ve ripped Nunez for this all season.
Ey? Rashford was wasteful for a number of years and has improved his clinical edge. Drogba who was regarded as one of the best in prem history was killing birds in the sky with his shots when he arrived. Of course it can be worked on.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Still no PL assist. Last PL goal September.

It's getting a bit ridiculous this now tbh. Ben White who is a CB playing right back has more attacking returns for Arsenal this season than Antony has.

Walters_19_MuFc

Got in behind a few times today, following some good runs. Had Godfrey on toast, so much so that Dyche had to take him off at half time. Unfortunately, Antony didn't capitilise on the chances he had, but his positioning and understanding of what ten Hag wants is so important for the team.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I never judge a player from first season especially when there's been no pre season. I think he's doing a lot right. I think the price can higher expectations. If we had got him for about 30m reckon people would be much happier with his contributions so far especially at his age.

What is the worry is that lack of right foot. It becomes way too predictable and you would hope even though it doesn't happen much at 21+, but, ideally he hads going out wide, putting in an early cross, or pass, or some near post shots etc. Will give the defenders something else to think about rather than worrying about left foot far post shot
It's fine to have low expectations of a 85m player IF he can become a star in the future. I simply don't see this happening for Antony.
I don't want to criticise him after this game but I also think I already have quite low expectations.

He's overdue a goal so hopefully more luck next time, can't say he didn't deserve it with his movement alone.

Shark

@NotShark
He's starting to run at his man now a bit more and mix it up. Like what I seen from him today.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Anto's play could be still calibrated for United style, perhaps next year, but he should get full pre-season this time, no excuses.

Still the case could be need for a Haller type striker to encourage him in finding more gaps to send an assist, but now with Martial back and scoring, perhaps they'll find some pitch vibe.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is so slow. I think even Sancho is quicker than him.

Commentator was surprised how Godfrey caught him every time, despite him getting away from him every time at first. There was one situation when Bruno kicked it high and he lost a race with Godfrey even without the ball.

Apart from that had a good game, but he could have assisted in one of his first few chances instead of going for shot. I guess there is a reason he doesn't have any assists.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Thought he was good again. You tend to notice a drop-off in our balance when he's replaced.

Based Adnan

I think at some point it will click with him. He's always heavily involved and capable of creating something from nothing.

DownRiver

See, this stuff is just bollocks. He is the exact opposite of that, for better or worse.

Dyche had to take off his left back for feck sake.

A waste of a position is when we plays the likes of Elanga and just refuse to play any football down that side.

Had Antony scored that opening chance then folk would be in here singing his praises. It’s fine margins.

Your post is bollocks

CM

Antony did okay but he needs to become far more ruthless in front of goal. He has his trademark where he cuts in on his left and curls it but there needs to be more variety in his game with his finishes, and crucially he needs to get the shot off in the first place. There's enough there to not throw the toys out of the pram yet, but there's still plenty of scope for improvement.

RuudTom83

He played well today so no complaints...but i would like him to assist more, he has a gem of a left foot so i can understant the urge to shot whenever he gets the chance, but grabbing a few assists would do wonders for him overall play.

He’s a very good player, don’t understand the constant need of many to put him down.
First season too, young lad. I’m sure he’ll get more clinical and ruthless as he settles more and more into life at OT and as Ten Hag’s team evolves.

FriedClams

Calling it now, he’ll be our player of the season within 2 years. Can see him getting more up to speed each game, full backs absolutely hate playing against him. His work rate is admirable.

He played well today so no complaints...but i would like him to assist more, he has a gem of a left foot so i can understant the urge to shot whenever he gets the chance, but grabbing a few assists would do wonders for him overall play.
Had of couple of key passes today, one especially for Sabitzer that he should’ve scored.

mctrials23

If he can sort out two things he will be class for us. He needs to stop being so damn predictable and he needs to learn when to pass. Players know what he is going to do 95% of the time because he has zero right foot. He also doesn't pass that often when he could shoot so defenders have far fewer variables to worry about with him.

Oranges038

Reasonable performance.

Should have grabbed 2 goals when he was put through.

First one he may as well pointed where he was going to put it.

Second one, it took him an age to bring it under. Needs to do it quicker.

Also needs to learn how to use his right foot.

Abraxas

He actually went on the outside today. That suggests he is actively working on it and the manager will certainly have identified his one dimensional play. It can be done, Mahrez became a far more direct and varied player over time. So I liked to see that and his penetrating runs. Okay it didn't come off in terms of end product but in terms of building habits these things will make him more effective if he can do it more often.

redcucumber

See, this stuff is just bollocks. He is the exact opposite of that, for better or worse.

Dyche had to take off his left back for feck sake.

A waste of a position is when we plays the likes of Elanga and just refuse to play any football down that side.

Had Antony scored that opening chance then folk would be in here singing his praises. It’s fine margins.
Agreed. Also, "waste of a position" is utterly mental. We absolutely tore them apart on that right side in the first half. Antony definitely should have scored from one of those one on ones, but had a good game. Bizarre people are still moaning about him today.

kundalini

Well he certainly had chances today. Playing against Ben Godfrey is about as easy as it gets for a right sided attacker. Antony's finishing seemed ok without being amazing and the shot just before half-time is becoming so predictable that opposing keepers are expecting it. Unfortunate to hit the post in the first half. There was one where he looked to be through but a lack of pace meant the defender got back to block I think. A couple of key passes. I suppose it was a good performance overall.

I'm still astonished that we haven't given Pellistri starts in the PL as Antony looks such a limited player.

Last edited:

Devil You Know

What I like about Antony is that he always knows what he wants to do, and he never hesitates in doing it.

He and Sancho are playing at a similar level at the moment, but I have more faith in Antony putting the pieces together in the long run. I just think he's closer to figuring out Premier League football.

redcucumber

Well he certainly had chances today. Playing against Ben Godfrey is about as easy as it gets for a right sided attacker. Antony's finishing seemed ok without being amazing and the shot just before half-time is becoming so predictable that opposing keepers are expecting it. Unfortunate to hit the post in the first half. There was one where he looked to be through but a lack of pace meant the defender got back to block I think. A couple of key passes. I suppose it was a good performance overall.

I'm still astonished that we haven't given Pellistri starts in the PL as Antony looks such a limited player.
Regardless of what anyone thinks about Antony's patented cut in and curl it shooting behaviours, his defensive output is inarguably top notch. Hard to imagine Pellistri could offer anywhere near that sort of level defensively, which is even more significant when Casemiro is out.

kundalini

Regardless of what anyone thinks about Antony's patented cut in and curl it shooting behaviours, his defensive output is inarguably top notch. Hard to imagine Pellistri could offer anywhere near that sort of level defensively, which is even more significant when Casemiro is out.
Antony does work hard defensively most matches. I wish the effort he put in was standard for the team but clearly it isn't (Rashford and Shaw for instance)

Status
Not open for further replies.