Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morpheus 7

Long night for Young, I feel bad for criticizing him when he gives everything. They targeted that side all night, squad player for me. He dug in deep at the end, he gets United but we need an upgrade soon.

Steerpike

Long night for Young, I feel bad for criticizing him when he gives everything. They targeted that side all night, squad player for me. He dug in deep at the end, he gets United but we need an upgrade soon.
Ashley Young was always likely to have a tough time given that the tactical plan was for Lukaku to stay forward to exploit the space behind Kolasinac rather than try to track back. Although continually exposed to 2 v 1 situations, he actually showed a lot of tactical nous and handled it very well (this was even picked up by a frustrated Arsenal fan - see the clip on the Arsenal FAM TV thread). His defensive positioning and ability to snuff out danger were both excellent all night, but the tactical set up meant he was limited in the contribution he could make going forward.

Ole clearly trusted Young to do what he knew would be a difficult job, and he will have been very pleased with what he delivered. Right now, Ashley Young is our best right back, but I expect Diogo Dalot to make strides and be challenging for the starting berth next season.

Steerpike

I thought the same too. Iwobi had him on toast. It looked like he must have fell for every shimmy out there. Not good.
Are you referring to the same Iwobi who was substituted while his side were chasing the game? Methinks he would have stayed on if his manager thought he had his opposing full back on toast.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Ashley Young was always likely to have a tough time given that the tactical plan was for Lukaku to stay forward to exploit the space behind Kolasinac rather than try to track back. Although continually exposed to 2 v 1 situations, he actually showed a lot of tactical nous and handled it very well (this was even picked up by a frustrated Arsenal fan - see the clip on the Arsenal FAM TV thread). His defensive positioning and ability to snuff out danger were both excellent all night, but the tactical set up meant he was limited in the contribution he could make going forward.

Ole clearly trusted Young to do what he knew would be a difficult job, and he will have been very pleased with what he delivered. Right now, Ashley Young is our best right back, but I expect Diogo Dalot to make strides and be challenging for the starting berth next season.
Hallelujah. Great post.

automaticflare

They overloaded left wing. Young and Herrera were defending 2 vs 3 or 4 at times. Lukaku nowhere to be seen to help out. He stayed alerted and made some important interceptions.

That was our tactic and led to a couple of goals. Ole knew kolasanic would push on so we left Lukaku up top right to take advantage it worked perfect. Young and Herrera dealt with it for the most part pretty well

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
:lol:
Did he just coin that phrase?

This guy has been a good servant to the club. Certain players are signed for a particular reason and they do not reach that initial expectation, but as far as failed transfers, you'll look hard to find a better servant than Young. Makes the most out of his situation, never complains and is super professional. He also plays with heart, aggression and pace and has a good right foot.

KennyBurner

Not even going to sugarcoat it but he was terrible. Some will say he was targeted down the right but that's not why he was terrible. Its his constant inability not to get stuck in. There were countless times when iwobi was isolated and kolasinic was nowhere in sight yet young gave iwobi all the time on the ball till kolasinac could make an overlap. Once the second half began I though we would see a difference in his approach to iwobi but nope it just stayed the same. Anyways we got through and I guess its all okay now but what happens when we face PSG or any other team with solid wide forwards?

We seriously need a very good RB if this is how we our going to start approaching away games. It really strains my heart when young just lets his attackers do whatever. I read somewhere that our supposed tactic was letting young shadow iwobi on the ball because iwobi isn't very creative. Very silly if true given everything they did came down the right.

He gives his heart out blah blah which is good but he needs to improve on tackling. Even if he can't tackle try and harass him instead of just SHADOWING him on the ball.

OohAahMartial

I thought he was terrible and that's why Aresenal targetted him constantly. He would just stand off rather than get close, press or tackle, didn't block their crosses at all which were their main threat. Ole saw this and had to make two tactical changes to compensate for it, by first moving Lingard to the right to help out and then by bringing on Jones, an actual defender, as RB (not even his position) and move Young more forward. That Ole had to do this tells you everything about just how bad Young was. Criminal that we still don't have a decent RB after all these years.

Andersonson

I thought he was terrible and that's why Aresenal targetted him constantly. He would just stand off rather than get close, press or tackle, didn't block their crosses at all which were their main threat. Ole saw this and had to make two tactical changes to compensate for it, by first moving Lingard to the right to help out and then by bringing on Jones, an actual defender, as RB (not even his position) and move Young more forward. That Ole had to do this tells you everything about just how bad Young was. Criminal that we still don't have a decent RB after all these years.

Oh man...

Young was very very good. Arsenal always double/triple up the left side. He was constantly in a 2v1 / 3v2 situation. Herrera did help him out, but Arsenal came with atleast 3 men on the left. They have done so the whole season. He even got credits from AFTV cause of it, they rarely managed to beat him and Ander. Ole knew this and thats why he played Young and not Valencia/Dalot. Simply because he is Our best RB.

But, you see what you want to see.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He moved people to give young a hand, not because he was individually awful. He had owobi in his pocket most the game. They scored their goal through Ramsey making a 3rd man run and Herrera/Bailly didn’t track.

young was fine defensively, but his passing wasn’t the best.

KennyBurner

Oh man...

Young was very very good. Arsenal always double/triple up the left side. He was constantly in a 2v1 / 3v2 situation. Herrera did help him out, but Arsenal came with atleast 3 men on the left. They have done so the whole season. He even got credits from AFTV cause of it, they rarely managed to beat him and Ander. Ole knew this and thats why he played Young and not Valencia/Dalot. Simply because he is Our best RB.

But, you see what you want to see.
When has Ole not played young as our first choice right back? To even state otherwise is nonsense. Valencia or Dalot have never been ahead of young under mourinho or Ole.

Arsenal did overload young but that isn’t what we’re criticizing him for. It’s his inability to not tackle. Iwobi is a decent player at best. It would be understandable if he was up against hazard or even Wilfred zaha, players that can actually hurt you on their own day. Countless times he could have done more than just follow iwobi around. Even if he doesn’t want to tackle iwobi he could have roughed him up abit on the ball. You know he could do anything other than just FOLLOW him. That’s not to much to ask.

Ole needs to address this before we face psg and Liverpool because mane and Robertson will be less wasteful that iwobi and kolasinic.

Man Utd 2:2 Burnley

Based Adnan

Only thing he's half good at is finding half a yard, lumping it into the box and hoping for the best. The cross itself is dangerous 1/10 times and when he's got time to cross it and find a man somehow his crossing becomes even worse. Absolute disgrace that we've not addressed our full back issue. I thought when Mourinho said last season 'Ashley Young will play 50 games' he was just doing him a bit of lip service but it's actually going to maybe come true. Shambles how a club with aspirations as ours is not only starting Ashley Young every game but is also looking to extend his bloody contract.

Worst United captain I've ever seen.

mewnew11

Utter rubbish. Keeps playing blind crosses. Worst United captain ever.

News is that he also wants a two year extension.lol him and Mata on right is just appalling.

Baxter

Basically had free reign down the right hand side, and I can’t remember one cross finding it’s man.

Minimalist

Not even sure what the point is commenting on him anymore.

He works his bollocks off without question but his quality on the ball is that of a Championship player.

Art

Art the artist
We're gonna see him whiff crosses all next season too aren't we ? ffs

drdoityourself

He takes forever to make throw ins. He'll more often settle for throwing it to the man most forward for a flick. Who is he supposed to flick it on to?
He wastes possession quite often in the build up just lumping it to the forwards, or blindly putting it into the channels.

We have no one on the right wing, thus creating ample space for him to roam into. He cannot cross the ball.

I can not for the life of me understand how this position, which has become vital for United's attack against weaker opposition, has not been addressed. Valencia has completely gone and Ashley Young is ridiculously unproductive, considering the opportunities he gets during games like these.

El Jefe

Not even sure what the point is commenting on him anymore.

He works his bollocks off without question but his quality on the ball is that of a Championship player.
Same here. Cannot wait for the day he joins West Ham on a free.

Renegade

I get irrationally annoyed at him putting his hands up with some signal before he takes a shit corner that doesn’t reach anyone.

settembrini

He should accept the one year extension offer before the club realise they might be better off buying a new right back.

Bojan11

Shit crossing and his stupid shot before half time sums him up. No doubt he’d manage to put one beauty of a cross in next game.

He’s not consistent enough. When you watch Beckham and Neville for years there’s no competition. Even Phil Neville was better attacking wise than him and he wasn’t even a winger.

Devil may care

Pogba hit him with some lovely crossfield balls that saw him in acres of space but his crossing once het got the ball was more miss than hit.

Another game another goal he's cost us. The sooner we replace him the better.

el3mel

Just one thing, was Young part for all our Moyes Fulham crossing esque games every season ? I bet whenever we go mad crossing to no one the entire game he's mostly part of the team do these shite crosses, right ?

Idxomer

I've no idea why he's our first and only choice in this position as in no way he's that much better than our other three options.

Rotate him with the others till the club gets a competent replacement.

izec

Showed some of the worst crossing you will ever see. Cant pick out a man to save his life. Aimless shit crossing. That he didnt mix it up as well, just the same hopeless shit.

Dolf

Does anyone know how many crosses/corners he put in today? And how many actually reached the target?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I cannot understand how can people like him as a player. I think he is definitely a nice chap, but it's ridiculous that he is starter for us, if he was playing for relegation side no one would say he is better than that level. I don't know if it's because he is English or something that people refuse to criticise him, but he simply shouldn't be anyhwere near starting XI for us. He was nothing more than a squad player for us even at his peak, so how did he end up after so many years being our first choice fullback is beyond me.

Rossa

Love it when he does that little flick back and goes for the run forward, and every time he looks surprised as to "why doesn't that work anymore" - he either stumbles on the ball or isn't able to get away from his defender anymore with a quick turn.

He runs his socks off up and down that side, but the end product is just not good enough, but I also think we isolate him too much, and as a result he has to try and do too much on his own. He had some decent overlaps in the second half, but then the crossing was simply too poor. We need a new RW and new RB if Dalot is not ready.

Andy_Cole

So frustrating today. I think he was the main cause (with Lukaku) of why we didn’t score up until we did. Horrendous, mindless crosses.

We need a world class right back. I’d spend most our transfer budget on one if there is one out there.

Canagel

What's with the blasting into defenders shins or massively overhitting cross? I'm so done with it. We got rid of valencia only to find another one. Get him out and play Dalot. In all home matches at least till we sign someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.