Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

criticalanalysis

11 crosses attempted...0 successful.

If he was a horse, etc
Almost every single time the ball to him and his positioning was perfect to cross it after taking one touch. Yet every single fecking time, he decides to take 2-3 more touches, attempt to take on Alba and close the space he already had. Like seriously WTFFFFF.

F this guy man.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
This is the kind of Captain you get if you abide by the emotional purist ultra mentality of wanting only the most super loyal and contextlessly passionate players, and rid of all the Pogbas, De Geas, Rooneys, Ronaldos, and other obviously talented players who don’t outwardly seem to “care” or “want to be here” enough for your liking...

Enjoy your loyal and passionate mid-table Man Utd.

NinjaFletch

This is the kind of Captain you get if you abide by the emotional purist ultra mentality of wanting only the most super loyal and contextlessly passionate players, and rid of all the Pogbas, De Geas, Rooneys, Ronaldos, and other obviously talented players who don’t outwardly seem to “care” or “fully want to be here” enough to your liking...

Enjoy your loyal and passionate mid-table Man Utd.
I'm not even convinced that's true tbf. I think Young's a decent enough bloke off the pitch, but his attachment to United specifically seems to be that we're the only club absolutely daft enough to pay him what we do to play football.

There's nothing particularly wrong with that, but it's hardly commendable either.

Paul_Scholes18

After his terrible game against Wolves he should not have started today. Particular not in a 5 man defense since we got Dalot who could attack much better on the right and could play Shaw on the left.

With Shaw out he will start the next game no doubt which will be a problem.

El Jefe

He was being offered a contract in China two years ago yet somehow he's still starting games as our captain in the biggest game of the season.

I can't even blame Young. This has to be the clearest case of a player not being good enough but still guaranteed starts I've seen in a while. Rooney was over the hill but he was our record goalscorer at least. Young is nothing to this club yet we've rewarded more and more as the seasons have go on.

Paul_Scholes18

I'm not even convinced that's true tbf. I think Young's a decent enough bloke off the pitch, but his attachment to United specifically seems to be that we're the only club absolutely daft enough to pay him what we do to play football.

There's nothing particularly wrong with that, but it's hardly commendable either.
Yeah I don't think he is particulary loyal. He always work hard and never gives up though. I think Valencia is a more loyal player if you are looking for one.

kundalini

Our worst performer tonight. Plenty of chances to get in a decent cross yet the quality simply wasn't there. As for his passing, you could hardly give the ball away more often, if you tried.

RedNed77

I think Valencia’s a goner in the summer anyway, so for squad depth we should keep him.

Also bear in mind his new contract is just for one year. People are going apeshit like he got five years or something. Here’s hoping next season he’ll be a squad rotation option and I’d rather keep him over Valencia because Young’s got the versatility that Valencia doesn’t.

Young will be close to 35 at the end of next season and I really can’t see him carrying on at the club in a playing capacity at that age.
I kneejerked and went in with two feet on him after the game, but I probably agree with you. He should only be playing when Shaw and Dalot are injured though, and in no other circumstances. We could do with adding another full back in the summer too, he can then sit behind them too.

m1tch

Awful, he cost us tonight, I'm convinced if he hadn't messed up every single attack he was involved in then we'd have got something out of the game.

Maybe a silver lining is that he's shown the management and board tonight that there's absolutely no getting away from signing a right back to replace him.

joedirt87

After his terrible game against Wolves he should not have started today. Particular not in a 5 man defense since we got Dalot who could attack much better on the right and could play Shaw on the left.

With Shaw out he will start the next game no doubt which will be a problem.
he started today despite that Wolves performance, he was always starting both legs of this tie unless injured or suspended. the position has been in such a state since this season started that Ashley Young was always going to be the first choice right back. About the only thing that could have changed this was Luke Shaw getting hurt or being awful. then we would have been stuck with him at LB, but at least IMO he's mildly better as a LB

Last edited:

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He's useless. That "cross" he attempted after Martial had a run at the defence and passed him the ball was League 2 bullshit.

Paul_Scholes18

he started today despite that Wolves performance, he was always starting both legs of this tie unless injured or suspended.
Which is strange since you think someone should be dropped if they are not playing well. I feel it is the same problem we had with LVG and Moyes. They never seem to drop players and just keep with the same plan and the same players.

Mourinho often did drop players though, but sometimes too much or for weird things outside performance often. Like how he did drop Pogba in games when we needed him. Shaw and Blind dropped after one bad game often too and then not back in the team for a long time. Only one immune seem to have been Matic, Ibra and Lukaku during his first season.

joedirt87

Which is strange since you think someone should be dropped if they are not playing well. I feel it is the same problem we had with LVG and Moyes. They never seem to drop players and just keep with the same plan and the same players.

Mourinho often did drop players though, but sometimes too much or for weird things outside performance often. Like how he did drop Pogba in games when we needed him. Shaw and Blind dropped after one bad game often too and then not back in the team for a long time. Only one immune seem to have been Matic, Ibra and Lukaku during his first season.
it goes back to the problem of having zero depth. Ole either likes playing Dalot as a wingback/winger, or doesn't trust him as a fullback. The man used Eric Bailly as a RB, and only pulled him because of what looked like a knock. We wouldn't have even gotten past PSG if Bailly had been out there for another 10-15 minutes. Valencia is frozen out, Rojo can only play on the left. we literally have no options.

Paul_Scholes18

it goes back to the problem of having zero depth. Ole either likes playing Dalot as a wingback/winger, or doesn't trust him as a fullback. The man used Eric Bailly as a RB, and only pulled him because of what looked like a knock. We wouldn't have even gotten past PSG if Bailly had been out there for another 10-15 minutes. Valencia is frozen out, Rojo can only play on the left. we literally have no options.
Dalot could have started tonight on the right with Shaw on the left and I do think he is a better option right now. Lindelöf as a right back could work out well too as he has played that before. Although not sure his crossing is going to add very much. Jones could also play rightback. Herrera on the right in the future could be an option. Sure they are not amazing, but I would rather play them over Young right now.

arnie_ni

"Tonight, Ashley Young lost possession a total of 32 times and attempted 11 crosses with 0 meeting their target. No player on the pitch lost possession more or had a worse crossing rate than him. https://t.co/hOrObBQ3J3"

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

Well that's precisely the point, isn't it? It's easy to be loyal if you know you're punching above your weight. Just as it's easy for us romantics to assume the likes of Giggs and Scholes, or Keane and Ferdinand, stayed with us for their entire careers, or their best years, purely because they simply loved the club and all it stood for, and not in any way because we just so happened to be enjoying our most consistently successful and reliably dominant period ever!

It's not like Keane ever held the club to ransom for a contract in 2001. Just like Rooney and Ronaldo did. Or that in the perfect nostalgic halcyon days of yore, where players had loyalty etched into their bones, did the likes of Dennis Law ever do anything as uncouth as move to City when we were a bit shit, or a GOAT like George Best say anything as treasonably daft and self-interested as “Yes, I’m sick enough to ask for a move. I’ve got nothing against the management. It’s the team. It’s just not good enough. It’s just not going anywhere. I could go right through the team and find things wrong. People knock me when I’m no doing it, but when I’m not doing it who is?"

Oh, whats that you say? All that did happen? Huh... Yet somehow, in a time where a sizeable chunk of our fanbase have grown up entirely in the modern Murdoch era of Premier League Sky ball, where this purist idea of loyalty has barely if ever existed, we've still got fans - some weird, boggle eyed (probably Brexit voting, lets be honest?) fans - insisting that our problems can be solved by actively GETTING RID of the very few World Class, or even slightly upper tier players we have, should they prove less than evangelically committed to a side currently struggling to reach Top 4... who've scored one goal at home in the Champions League all season... and just failed to accrue a single shot on target in their home leg QF!!

All under the assumption that a football team can just blithely make the leap from chaotically transitional to competitively elite, by sheer force of loyalty, tradition and passionate will power alone!...Albeit somehow without settling for Ashley Young as Captain until 2025?.....

MAKE UNITED GREAT AGAIN!!

Good luck with that.

Last edited:

PSingh

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He was awful. So wasteful in possession. It’s difficult to build from the back or even retain possession when you have a player as wasteful as Young.

I’d like to see Ole give Dalot a run at RB.

Varun

Staff
Speaks volumes about how far we’ve fallen that someone who couldn’t make it into our starting 11 at his peak is now the club captain starting every game at the end of his career.

Absolutely disgraceful performance. Only Ole knows why this was needed anyway. Dalot RB, Shaw LB with a proper 3rd CB even if we have to play this formation

zenith

Dalot and darmian should share the RB spot till the end of the season with dalot starting most of the games.

Young is old and knackered now , should never have been starting RB but no point harping about it now. Let's hope we don't see much of him this season.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
So we lose 1-0 to Barca on an own goal by Luke Shaw (unlucky) and Ashley Young gets the lowest rating from our supporters for this match. Can we scapegoat the man any more? Is anyone even talking about De Gea on that goal when he is basically hiding inside his post? The man is a giant wuss. Just like Smallings own goal the last game, De Gea should be throwing himself out there to make the save. Best keeper in the world? I don't think so...

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
So we lose 1-0 to Barca on an own goal by Luke Shaw (unlucky) and Ashley Young gets the lowest rating from our supporters for this match. Can we scapegoat the man any more? Is anyone even talking about De Gea on that goal when he is basically hiding inside his post? The man is a giant wuss. Just like Smallings own goal the last game, De Gea should be throwing himself out there to make the save. Best keeper in the world? I don't think so...
Young had a much worse game than De Gea, in fact De Gea made a tremendous save to keep the game at 0-1. Young didn't do anything right all game, he was the biggest pile of shit out there. That isn't scapegoat, that is fact.

ReallyUSA

He destroyed so many attacks. So many.

varga92

You can't be serious..
Young gets the lowest rating because he was the worst player on the pitch.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Do we have his passes completed stats? Wouldn't be surprised if the percentage is at an all time low in the competition.

Kapardin

If you see the match, Young botching our attacks cost us atleast 2 possible goal scoring chances. Shaw was played in a wrong position by Ole until the goal, while Young was just shite.

Status
Not open for further replies.