6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vilev

Lets see how he runs first. This season he was the slowest in the team.
Would not be a surprise if he would be a failure at Euros and even manages to get injured again. And misses our tour, pre-season. Even if he will be in Germany team and will do well, when PL season starts i think he will go back to that sorry state he has been this whole season and people will blame whatever, something like "look the guy had a great Euro, he just needs time to recover and get fit again, blah-blah, blah". I hope he can rediscover his WC2014 form, but I'm afraid Munich let him go exactly because they saw he can't really be a force anymore.

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose
He was great last year when he was fit, and played a decent amount of games.
Can't wait to see him at the Euros and how he plays under Jose.

Varun

Staff
Reminds me when people kept calling Shaw overweight.
Yeah, remember that well. Ando has fecked with people's minds forever it seems.
always wondered myself :lol: i guess everyone has to look like di maria or something. Its also a common misconception that low body fat is synonymous with fitness. Its quite far from the truth. You can be "overweight" and also be very fit and vice versa
Aye. Anything but lean = overweight it seems.

Devil may care

He looked heavier last time he played for us, but mainly the issue is he's immobile and that is a killer in the PL, especially if the equally immobile Carrick is sticking around.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He looked heavier last time he played for us, but mainly the issue is he's immobile and that is a killer in the PL, especially if the equally immobile Carrick is sticking around.
Pre-injury he wasn't. He popped up all over the place. It's only after injuries that he was static.

acnumber9

I don't know how anyone could look at him a couple of years ago and now and claim he's in peak condition. Semantics about what constitutes being overweight aside he's nowhere near fit enough.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
It's not good but it's not the main issue. That is his constantly passing backward or square. I'll swear our forwards stopped moving in front of him after running into space, only to see him look at them, quite clearly see them, yet turn around and pass backwards.

There's a lot our fans watch him play and in their mind's eye see the man as he was over two years ago. That happens to all of us at times I suppose, but it's the only explanation for people thinking he actually played well last season as far as I can see.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
It's not good but it's not the main issue. That is his constantly passing backward or square. I'll swear our forwards stopped moving in front of him after running into space, only to see him look at them, quite clearly see them, yet turn around and pass backwards.

There's a lot our fans watch him play and in their mind's eye see the man as he was over two years ago. That happens to all of us at times I suppose, but it's the only explanation for people thinking he actually played well last season as far as I can see.
If any player without his big name put in his performances they would have been shit on but since it was Bastian fecking Schweinsteiger he could plod around the field and people thought it was amazing.

Devil may care

Pre-injury he wasn't. He popped up all over the place. It's only after injuries that he was static.
It wasn't ground coverage but mobility on the ball that I felt was the issue, the fast press of the PL was too much for him in many games.

I do think a lot or enamored with the player he was rather than the player he is, even LvG himself seemed confused as to why he wasn't the same player he managed at Bayern.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
Come on, Bastian has pedigree like no other midfielder in our team. Of course he will figure in Mourinho plans

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
Never mind the form, watch the pedigree.
There are question marks over Schweini, but his pedigree will guarantee him chances and probably a solid place in plans for incoming season. Then gametime will verify everything. Are you really indicating that we should get rid of him after one season, while keeping in team Fellaini, Herrera and Carrick? You cannot just nuke midfield area and start building it from scratch in one transfer window.

acnumber9

Let me simplify it.

You called Schweinsteiger fat.
He's not.
Did you laugh when people called Lampard fat?
Because he wasn't either.

got it?
It doesn't require simplification thanks. Just to make sense.

I said he was overweight. If you'd like further clarification that's in comparison to how a footballer should be. Watch the man play. He's blowing out his arse after ten minutes. People have their head in the sand if they think he's anywhere near fit enough. Got it?

Last edited:

Vilev

Pre-injury he wasn't.
He did not play one game in United's shirt when he actually run. Like a proper, fit player that is. Wolfsburg away was before any "injuries" and he was by far the slowest player on the field.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
When we signed him, I said people were expecting too much and that he'd have injury problems at some point. I ate some crow for some of his games, but in the end I was right.

204Red

He did not play one game in United's shirt when he actually run. Like a proper, fit player that is. Wolfsburg away was before any "injuries" and he was by far the slowest player on the field.
That Watford game he almost single-handedly turned a draw into a win through shear force of will and leadership.

We haven't seen that since Keane.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's a myth. When has Carrick run throughout his United career? When does Schneiderlin or Herrera properly run? They're not wide players that have to flat out sprint, especially in LVGs system. But pre-injury, Schweinsteiger gave us as much energy as anyone in midfield. He would chase, harry and tackle in a number of positions, which takes mobility.

Devil may care

Definitely. He's immensely experienced and will be central to Mourinho's starting XI imo.
I hope not, building midfield on a 32 year old has-been who is injury prone would be dumb, especially if Rooney is also going to be lumbering about in there.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I hope not, building midfield on a 32 year old has-been who is injury prone would be dumb, especially if Rooney is also going to be lumbering about in there.
We wouldn't be building anything - its already there. He just needs to stay healthy and get in the Mourinho frame of mind. Jose has worked with the likes of Zanetti, Materazzi, Lucio, Samuel, Milito, and Stankovic - all over 30 - in the same year, so I doubt Schweinsteiger and Zlatan would be in a different category, especially with talk of a Carrick extension.

Devil may care

We wouldn't be building anything - its already there. He just needs to stay healthy and get in the Mourinho frame of mind. Jose has worked with the likes of Zanetti, Materazzi, Lucio, Samuel, Milito, and Stankovic - all over 30 - in the same year, so I doubt Schweinsteiger and Zlatan would be in a different category, especially with talk of a Carrick extension.
All of those players have the same thing in common, they played for him in the OAP league, not the fastest and most physically demanding league in Europe, and on top of that only one of them is a CM, and last but not least none of them were the injury prone crock that Schweinsteiger is. We need athletes in midfield and players with energy and ground coverage, not old players whose best is behind them.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
All of those players have the same thing in common, they played for him in the OAP league, not the fastest and most physically demanding league in Europe, and on top of that only one of them is a CM, and last but not least none of them were the injury prone crock that Schweinsteiger is. We need athletes in midfield and players with energy and ground coverage, not old players whose best is behind them.
I don't think he cares about age as long as they can perform to the standard he wants them to. Since you brought up the English league, he didn't have any compunction working with Terry, Lampard, Cashley, and an ageing Eto'o (as well as a 43 year old Mark Schwarzer) when he rejoined Chelsea. Bottom line, age is irrelevant as long as the manager feels the player in question can perform the required job.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
The odds of him staying fit are pretty low looking at his injury record over the last few years. He is another Falcao and I hope we move him along. We already have Carrick and Rooney, who I am pretty certain will play as a part of the midfield three, as the older heads to provide 'experience'. Gesticulating at others anyway was never a sign of leadership.

He already enjoyed a one year paid holiday at our expense. We don't need to give him another.

Devil may care

I don't think he cares about age as long as they can perform to the standard he wants them to. Since you brought up the English league, he didn't have any compunction working with Terry, Lampard, Cashley, and an ageing Eto'o (as well as a 43 year old Mark Schwarzer) when he rejoined Chelsea. Bottom line, age is irrelevant as long as the manager feels the player in question can perform the required job.
Look at the core of the team that he actually won the league under with at at Chelsea this time, he'd broomed the aging has-beens and the core was Matic, Fabregas, Hazard and Costa, because he realized you can't win leagues relying on has-beens, which is what Schweinsteiger is.

Varun

Staff
Why does it have to be a case of building on/around him? At a top club, you have to be a Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar etc to have the team built around you. For others, you play a role just like others.

Devil may care

Why does it have to be a case of building on/around him? At a top club, you have to be a Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar etc to have the team built around you. For others, you play a role just like others.
The post I responded to said he thought he'd be a central part of Jose's starting 11, if you are a regular starter then you are building that area of the team, in this case the engine room, on that player.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Look at the core of the team that he actually won the league under with at at Chelsea this time, he'd broomed the aging has-beens and the core was Matic, Fabregas, Hazard and Costa, because he realized you can't win leagues relying on has-beens, which is what Schweinsteiger is.
You're missing the broader point - which is Mourinho doesn't seem to have an issue with age as long as the player in question can get the job done. He proved this in multiple leagues with multiple league winning sides. Thankfully Fergie didn't have any problems either otherwise the likes of Neville, Keane, Scholes, Giggs, Blanc, Ferdinand and others would've been sold off well before they should have. Schweinsteiger, being younger, is no different.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He relied a ton on Drogba and Terry, which you conveniently ignore. Schweinsteiger might not be a staple in the first X1 but he'll be relied on to be a solid squad player, which is what he should be unless he regains peak fitness and form.

Devil may care

You're missing the broader point - which is Mourinho doesn't seem to have an issue with age as long as the player in question can get the job done. He proved this in multiple leagues with multiple league winning sides. Thankfully Fergie didn't have any problems either otherwise the likes of Neville, Keane, Scholes, Giggs, Blanc, Ferdinand and others would've been sold off well before they should have. Schweinsteiger, being younger, is no different.
I'm not missing the point, the point is he's past it and massively injury prone and playing in a much tougher league than his body is used to. You also said he'd be a starter, at best he should be used like Fergie used latter day Scholes, as a sub that can come on in games as an extra body in midfield to keep possession.

Varun

Staff
The post I responded to said he thought he'd be a central part of Jose's starting 11, if you are a regular starter then you are building that area of the team, in this case the engine room, on that player.
Yes, if he stays fit and performs, he would be. If he doesn't, he won't. For BFS at this stage of his career, that's all he can expect as we have the likes of Herrera, schneiderlin and Carrick all in contention for those spots with reports indicating we will buy atleast 1 more CM. Which is why I said he could be a important part of the 11 without necessarily having it built around him.

Devil may care

He relied a ton on Drogba and Terry, which you conveniently ignore. Schweinsteiger might not be a staple in the first X1 but he'll be relied on to be a solid squad player, which is what he should be unless he regains peak fitness and form.
He didn't rely on Drogba who made most of his appearances off the bench, again Raoul said a key starter, not a bit part player. As for Terry, CB's last longer because there is less mobility and stamina required, especially in a Mourinho team that uses a deep defensive line.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm not missing the point, the point is he's past it and massively injury prone and playing in a much tougher league than his body is used to. You also said he'd be a starter, at best he should be used like Fergie used latter day Scholes, as a sub that can come on in games as an extra body in midfield to keep possession.
Well yes you are missing it because you're not addressing the examples I've provided where Jose has repeatedly used players in their 30s, including Drogba which @Wednesday at Stoke noted. Clearly Mourinho doesn't care about age which is why Schweinsteiger will likely be an important part of his side.

Devil may care

Yes, if he stays fit and performs, he would be. If he doesn't, he won't. For BFS at this stage of his career, that's all he can expect as we have the likes of Herrera, schneiderlin and Carrick all in contention for those spots with reports indicating we will buy atleast 1 more CM. Which is why I said he could be a important part of the 11 without necessarily having it built around him.
Just look at that set of options and the problem in hording has-beens is apparent, especially when Herrera isn't a proper CM and Schneiderlin has looked like a deer in the headlights at United.

Status
Not open for further replies.