BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Quite simple. If we reach top 4, he isnt coming. If we fail, he arrives. Take a pick
I don't believe this is the scenario but if it was I would rather we missed top 4. I've seen enough of LVG in the CL this season to say its not worth it

Sad Chris

Yet even Becks like Ronaldo puts hours in practicing their skills. You wonder how much work kids now want to put in for the rewards?
In our casting show society, if your Mum says you're brilliant during breakfast but you haven't been offered a contract by lunch it's time to blame the manager for
not recognizing your talent.

Whining spoilt fecks

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I've just read through the time line of events - this would make a fantastic movie/documentary to watch.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I think people's desperation to get rid of Van Gaal has blinded people to the considerable amount of baggage Mourinho has. His football isn't brilliant, he's record with youth is abysmal.(quite rightly the club views this as an important issue). Most importantly people forget he's been chased out of his last two clubs because the players hated him so much that they downed tools.
The club is right not to be falling head over hills to appoint him.
Here goes this lie that is constantly peddled around here.

I think Van Gaal is an outdated manager that should long have been fired, but that has nothing to do with wanting Mourinho.

Its not because of desperation that I want one of the three best managers in the game at United.

The great thing about having Sir Alex as manager was being able to witness what a proper world class manager can do ,

Sadly, post Sir Alex we've hired a manager that is over the hill, and one that didnt even know how to climb one.

I have wanted Jose (and would have settled for another proven world class manager) for years now.

People may not like him. But you cant deny his ability. It wouldnt be the first time United has taken in a troubled genius (Cantona was no angel), given the stage I am sure he can perform.

Using examples of two teams with players that have routinely hounded out managers before is futile. Look at the players that Jose had problems with at Chelsea and Real. The Ronaldo's, Terry's and Casillas of this world. Most of them have had run-ins with more than one manger. To lay the entire blame on him is unfair. But that doesnt make him faultless.

soapythecat

Rashford, lingaard, tfm, varela, cbj are exciting.

But they're not good enough for everton, let alone top 4 and spurs.

It's easy to play youth without winning, any morons can pick a team full of youth, any youth can be lucky enough to play in our current squad, you just have to be fit and unknown.

None of them are a revelation, the only thinf they reveal is thst they're not useless.
Just shut up. To write players off at such a young age - do you even watch football?

Gazza

There's no credible evidence whatever so far that Mourinho is coming here. Plenty of paper talk, wishful thinking and nudge nudge, wink wink but that's all.
actually it's not just hearsay. The BBC reported the meeting between his people and United's, not on their gossip column but as the main story on their website using their own sources. In British media terms you cannot get more concrete than that. The rest of it might be inference and extrapolation, but you can take the BBC report as evidence unless you want a photographic proof or direct quotes from the man himself

stevoc

There's no credible evidence whatever so far that Mourinho is coming here. Plenty of paper talk, wishful thinking and nudge nudge, wink wink but that's all.
If all the reports from credible sources like the BBC, that Inter director, the fact that neither United or Mourinho have denied it (to my knowledge), a reliable Spanish paper saying it's happening and various fairly reliable foreign journalists saying it's a done deal etc etc don't confirm that both parties are at least interested and have had some discussions then what sort of credible evidence would you need to convince you that there's something to these rumours then?

Would you need Jose himself to come out at half time during our next home game to a WWF style smoke and fireworks show with a T-shirt gun and then proceed to shoot shirts into the crowd with his face on them and the slogan ''Coming July 2016''. While a plane flies over head trailing a banner that says Welcome to Manchester Jose.

Anything can happen between now and July and nothings certain until a contract is signed. But Jesus this is as strong a rumour as you can get in football.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
If all the reports from credible sources like the BBC, that Inter director, the fact that neither United or Mourinho have denied it (to my knowledge), a reliable Spanish paper saying it's happening and various fairly reliable foreign journalists saying it's a done deal etc etc don't confirm that both parties are at least interested and have had some discussions then what sort of credible evidence would you need to convince you that there's something to these rumours then?

Would you need Jose himself to come out at half time during our next home game to a WWF style smoke and fireworks show with a T-shirt gun and then proceed to shoot shirts into the crowd with his face on them and the slogan ''Coming July 2016''. While a plane flies over head trailing a banner that says Welcome to Manchester Jose.

Anything can happen between now and July and nothings certain until a contract is signed. But Jesus this is as strong a rumour as you can get in football.
yes please :drool:

Earthquake

Pokemon expert

Next game at OT, we'll hear an Undertaker gong, a flash of thunder and he'll appear at the top of the highest stand in a black trenchcoat.

Should make it to pitchside at 'Taker pace just in time for his first match in charge next August.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Our two most recent managers have in effect been undertakers, tbf.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Our two most recent managers have in effect been undertakers, tbf.
Yeah, and don't forget Sexton. We've a long history of macabre managers when you think about it.

Maureen should forget about being the happy one if he's coming, that's for sure - unless he plans on donning the ol' mortician's smile.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
As for whether he's actually coming or not - he probably is.

I don't quite get the iron clad logic some seem to see in certain moves (or non-moves) on the club's part, though. But whatever, I guess. If it's a deal, it's a deal - and precisely why we've opted to go about it in this fashion doesn't really matter.

Perrick Dubois

It started three years ago.
It started at the start of Van Gaal's reign. He didn't have a clue how to play in these conditions and he's made almost zero effort to adapt, it was obvious right from the start he was the "name" and the forefront "persona" everybody wanted but when the rest got peeled back it was a crusty old turd wrapped in aluminum foil.

LvG's target was to get minimum 3rd and automatic CL qualification not 4th. 3rd at this stage is quite unlikely
When you make this statement, do you mean the times he has spoken about it in press conferences? I think when he says "get third" it is an easy way for him to make a rather loose statement that the club needed to improve on last year and not an actual stipulated guideline that he must finish in third place of higher.

Who?

Last edited:

Spock

I'm calling it now. We're going to finish in the top four and Mourinho will take over in July.

Pep will be fielding questions about post-Europa league tiredness while Mourinho takes the piss in his own press conferences.
I hope the plan is for Jose to report for duty in June, not July. A season can be won or lost with the transfer work that gets done in June.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It started at the start of Van Gaal's reign. He didn't have a clue how to play in these conditions and he's made almost zero effort to adapt, it was obvious right from the start he was the "name" and the forefront "persona" everybody wanted but when the rest got peeled back it was a crusty old turd wrapped in aluminum foil.
Yeah, Moyes' tenure was clearly fantastic.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It's looking more and more like this. The comment about "going where he's wanted" struck me the hardest. I'm so fecking disappointed right now. Charlton and the board really are clueless.

This whole Everton takeover thing is making more and more sense for Mourinho. He will basically have FULL control of that club and he can shape it how he likes it, which will be a trophy winning machine.

This is the darkest timeline of United about to start. Brace yourselves.
Jesus christ, there is pessimism and then there's this. Get a hold of yourself ffs.

MDFC Manager

I hope the plan is for Jose to report for duty in June, not July. A season can be won or lost with the transfer work that gets done in June.
Very true, but it's being said that Mourinho is already being consulted with regards to transfer business.

Andrea Berta is probably being consulted as well, and if he's coming, it's likely that he'll start working at the club earlier than Mourinho.

Rednotdead

For me it's like this - I strongly believe nothing has been decided, because the club would look rather idiotic if Van Gaal met his objectives and we'd already signed a contract with Mourinho. It's my belief that Mourinho and his people are trying to present it as a fait accompli by hints and subtle suggestions in the media, in order to put pressure on the club to make the decision.

It may or may not happen eventually, but I don't think it's yet anywhere near the done deal a lot of people think it is. It's illogical that it would be decided at present, signed contract or not.

MDFC Manager

For me it's like this - I strongly believe nothing has been decided, because the club would look rather idiotic if Van Gaal met his objectives and we'd already signed a contract with Mourinho. It's my belief that Mourinho and his people are trying to present it as a fait accompli by hints and subtle suggestions in the media, in order to put pressure on the club to make the decision.

It may or may not happen eventually, but I don't think it's yet anywhere near the done deal a lot of people think it is. It's illogical that it would be decided at present, signed contract or not.
That argument stands on very weak ground.

The club can sack LvG regardless of meeting objectives or not.

Rednotdead

That argument stands on very weak ground.

The club can sack LvG regardless of meeting objectives or not.
It doesn't stand on very weak ground at all. It's entirely logical because the club has had plenty of opportunity and reason to sack Van Gaal already but hasn't. Why then would it sack him at the end of the season if he met his objectives?

MDFC Manager

It doesn't stand on very weak ground at all. It's entirely logical because the club has had plenty of opportunity and reason to sack Van Gaal already but hasn't. Why then would it sack him at the end of the season if he met his objectives?
What's the point of sacking LvG when the only alternative for the rest of season would be Giggs?

MDFC Manager

Based on what exactly?
It seems to me as if there's a lot of fans who are taking great sadistic pleasure at the possibility of LvG still being here next season. So much, that every other alternative is discarded as speculation!

SirAF

Ageist

That would have been preferable to be honest.

Perrick Dubois

Yeah, Moyes' tenure was clearly fantastic.
If you think so, then that is up to you. He certainly didn't have us playing soul destroying football. He was removed quickly before he could do any real and lasting damage to the core of the club. Someone with Van Gaal's reputation for building has rather bizarrely continued to smash his spiked flag into the concrete while wondering why it isn't going in.

We made a legitimate "philosophy" detour when Van Gaal came to the club and that was made obvious by Woodward's appointment and continued support of him. Stark contrast to Moyes who floundered in shallow water and was put out of his misery quick smart.

Perrick Dubois

Ah Rene Muelensteen's finest moment as a manager, no doubt. I'd be curious to see if Van Gaal can boast a match we've played under his leadership with 75% possession and 40 shots for United (9 on, 31 off).

Stekelenberg was outstanding in that game and we really easily could have more than two goals. In fact, we probably should have.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If you think so, then that is up to you. He certainly didn't have us playing soul destroying football. He was removed quickly before he could do any real and lasting damage to the core of the club. Someone with Van Gaal's reputation for building has rather bizarrely continued to smash his spiked flag into the concrete while wondering why it isn't going in.

We made a legitimate "philosophy" detour when Van Gaal came to the club and that was made obvious by Woodward's appointment and continued support of him. Stark contrast to Moyes who floundered in shallow water and was put out of his misery quick smart.
You seem to think so, so it is up to you.

He certainly did have us playing soul destroying football. We finished 7th and outside the CL places after ages, lost at home to teams that hadn't beaten us at OT in multiple decades and all that after winning the league title by a margin. He did indeed do "real and lasting" damage to the core of the club as he took a team that won the league and obliterated them within 6 months. His tenure saw a championship winning squad fall to pieces. If that's not real damage, I don't know what is. It's semantics and petty to try and paint him in good light because the next guy also did badly.

It's actually amusing to see all the pro-Moyes chaps crawl out of the woodworks now, trying to play down how piss poor that season was for the club and how much of a laughable fall from grace he oversaw.

It takes some serious bias/terrible logical thinking to actually manage to exclude Moyes' tenure from our supposed "bad years" and claim that LVG started the fall. It's something I'd expect of a die-hard Moyes fan, which I'm not sure why any Manchester United supporter would be.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
Ah Rene Muelensteen's finest moment as a manager, no doubt. I'd be curious to see if Van Gaal can boast a match we've played under his leadership with 75% possession and 40 shots for United (9 on, 31 off).

Stekelenberg was outstanding in that game and we really easily could have more than two goals. In fact, we probably should have.
"oh wait, that match, let me just find an excuse for that one"

Same procedure as always.

In regards to Moyes, didn't have a clue, came across as clueless as it gets. He was so out of his depth and comfort zone that it was sad to watch it unfold.

It's like those youtube compilations of people getting badly hurt while doing daft things, it's funny as long as it's not happening to you.

Perrick Dubois

You seem to think so, so it is up to you.
No, I don't. Nowhere have I said that, nor have I even mentioned it. You brought it up, you seem to want to be projecting it onto me to suit your argument.

It's actually amusing to see all the pro-Moyes chaps crawl out of the woodworks now, trying to play down how piss poor that season was for the club and how much of a laughable fall from grace he oversaw.
Who are these "pro-Moyes chaps"? I haven't come across very many and I certainly don't see what you describe as a hoard of "pro-Moyes chaps" anywhere on this board coming out of the woodwork to provide you with amusement.
In regards to Moyes, didn't have a clue, came across as clueless as it gets. He was so out of his depth and comfort zone that it was sad to watch it unfold.
Agreed, he didn't really have a clue about how to run a club the size of United. If you watch Rio's Oxford QnA he says one of Moyes biggest downfalls was that he made the mistake of cutting ties with every piece of delegation that Sir Alex had set up before realizing that the load he had to take on was far to much for one man. His attempt to "rebuild" was to do what is commonly described on here as "dither" (dithering Dave) for the first season and he's even said himself in interviews that he didn't see the sack coming as he was always assured that he would get the time required to "rebuild the club" the way he saw it.

Thankfully that idea was knifed from behind very early by Woodward. I did mention the stark contrast and the credibility that Van Gaal has built with Woodward. That, for me is the reason why he was not sacked this season and higher-ups didn't see that strategy as an end-solution or a quick fix for the positive. I don't really view Moyes the same way as I view Van Gaal. There is a pretty clear line of strategy in between, one man trying to continue the legacy and build slowly. One other man re-shaping the club from the ground up the way he wanted it to be shaped. I think it is shaping it for the worse and have though that from the beginning of Van Gaal's reign. But like I said, there to me is a clear and distinct line between SAF's end, Moyes short reign and Van Gaal's reign.

Status
Not open for further replies.