BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acquire Me

It's official, I don't us to get top 4 or win the FA Cup even so I don't mind losing a few games. It seems that's the only way to ensure LVG won't be here next summer, or at least gives the best chance. I'd much rather skip 1 season of CL football to ensure we have a much better chance for success in the long run. It's disgusting that it's come to this but that's what happens when Woodward is just spineless.
Be a man and hope we win what we can win. Top 4 means José can show CL that we are back and in business again. Adidas will love it as well ;)

mbb8

And it has done wonders for their team's season.
Yeah. Like they were world beaters before that. They are performing exactly like they've been performing every single season for the past 10 years. Top 4 and getting knocked out in the Round of 16 in the champions league.

And just what is so great about our season? We got knocked out of a piss easy group in the Champions League, lost in our first round of Europa to Liverpool (to fecking Liveprool!) and are battling for 4th place. That's some season, mate! Wouldn't want to disturb this great march towards glory!

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Bullshit. They are just throwing everything at the wall now and hoping some piece of shit will stick.

Jose is not coming. And I'm fecking depressed.
Where do you think he's going considering he sounds pretty confident that hes got a job sorted for July?

mbb8

Where do you think he's going considering he sounds pretty confident that hes got a job sorted for July?
Not here, that's for sure. It's pretty clear that LVG is confident he'll be here, and it's clear the club doesn't like Jose at all, from Charlton to Fergie.

Hammerfell

Not here, that's for sure. It's pretty clear that LVG is confident he'll be here, and it's clear the club doesn't like Jose at all, from Charlton to Fergie.
No, it isn't. Do yourself a favour and take a break from pointless panicking.

MDFC Manager

Pure conjecture. But carry on anyway, it's quite amusing.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
You are having a meltdown for no reason. He's clearly coming here. The other option is Real Madrid but the stories from Spain say that Madrid have been told that he's agreed to come here. These are from sources who are meant to be reputable unlike the Manchester evening news which has some random shit story every other day

Pretty much the main stories of doubt come from Luckhurst and Jackson who are both shit journalists. I actually think Luckhurst must read the cafe to help him make stuff up

I really find it hard to believe that Woodward and the Glazers would let the manager position be decided on whether we get 4th considering its so close and will come down to a couple of points. We aren't going to make a decision on the basis of one or two games. This is a huge decision which is going to have a massive effect on the next few years so I'm pretty sure it must already be decided and it sounds likes it Mourinho and not giggs thankfully

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I disagree. Plenty of fans want him here. Me included.
I like it when we win. And Jose is the best candidate to achieve this.
I just don't think he means the fans though. We have seen what's been in the papers about the power struggle at United, who wants who etc. Just seems a little weird that José says what he said doesn't it?

mbb8

I just don't think he means the fans though. We have seen what's been in the papers about the power struggle at United, who wants who etc. Just seems a little weird that José says what he said doesn't it?
That's what's got me freaked out. Jose is clearly bruised by the Madrid and Chelsea experience, especially after winning both the clubs league titles the year before, that now he wants to go someplace that isn't going to be so eager to get rid of him because they don't see him as a valuable piece of their club's infrastructure and brand, someplace that will be glad to have him.

He may go to a club that isn't as prestigious so he can avoid the BS that comes with it. I mean, he's won to UCL titles and 8 league titles, and likely wants to be in a place that respects him.

From all the reports, our club not only not respect him, but see him as a negative rather than positive asset.

Rednotdead

You are having a meltdown for no reason. He's clearly coming here. The other option is Real Madrid but the stories from Spain say that Madrid have been told that he's agreed to come here. These are from sources who are meant to be reputable unlike the Manchester evening news which has some random shit story every other day

Pretty much the main stories of doubt come from Luckhurst and Jackson who are both shit journalists. I actually think Luckhurst must read the cafe to help him make stuff up

I really find it hard to believe that Woodward and the Glazers would let the manager position be decided on whether we get 4th considering its so close and will come down to a couple of points. We aren't going to make a decision on the basis of one or two games. This is a huge decision which is going to have a massive effect on the next few years so I'm pretty sure it must already be decided and it sounds likes it Mourinho and not giggs thankfully
There's no credible evidence whatever so far that Mourinho is coming here. Plenty of paper talk, wishful thinking and nudge nudge, wink wink but that's all.

hobbers

I'm calling it now. We're going to finish in the top four and Mourinho will take over in July.

Pep will be fielding questions about post-Europa league tiredness while Mourinho takes the piss in his own press conferences.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
There's no credible evidence whatever so far that Mourinho is coming here. Plenty of paper talk, wishful thinking and nudge nudge, wink wink but that's all.
Wasn't it the same with Guardiola and City before it got announced? I think most people could tell that was going to happen

What is credible evidence with this kind of thing anyway?

MDFC Manager

I'm calling it now. We're going to finish in the top four and Mourinho will take over in July.

Pep will be fielding questions about post-Europa league tiredness while Mourinho takes the piss in his own press conferences.
Would love it if this is how it plays out!

mbb8

Wasn't it the same with Guardiola and City before it got announced? I think most people could tell that was going to happen

What is credible evidence with this kind of thing anyway?
But City had the Barcelona connection. Txiki and Guardiola are close friends. What's the link between Jose and United? For all we've been told, the power brokers at the club hate Jose.

mbb8

Oh, the dream. The dream.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So lets look at the sources that have claimed this is happening-
  • BBC (they dont put there neck on the line for anything)
  • EL pais (Very reliable)
  • Le10 sport (Again reliable, have reported falcao to us and martial to us before any english media knew)
  • Di marzio (Got darmian right, does get somethings wrong, more right than wrong though, got conte to chelsea right months ago)
  • Ballague (Has contacts in the spanish media, hasnt put his name on the line, said mou's friends reckon it)
  • Custis (Got the neymar interest spot on, maybe has some briefing from woody or someone high up at united)
  • Calderon (Well, he says madrid wanted him, but he goes to united. He knew abt ronaldo deal, adm, kaka etc. Former madrid president)
  • Torro rosso (very well connected and respected journalist)
  • ESPN
  • Gregory Ionnidis (Sports lawyer and united fan, hasnt said it directly but has implied it many times like with conte to chelsea months ago, may not be considered the best source on transfers, but he advices many footballers and is bound to have contacts, also appears regularly on SSN/bbc for cases of sports law including evra case and PED cases)
  • Spanish papers including MARCA, AS, el confidencial etc say its done.
  • Inter milan's chief's daughter came out to the media and said the same
  • Red issue (well they have some sources, they have broken stories from dressing room, before they came to eng media)
  • Last space for @Acquire Me just because he put his caf account on the line.
I must have missed some, i dint put english papers in as they seem to be out of the loop, may be woody doesnt like them as they portray him badly. May be woody is keeping his side hush but leaks happen from Mendes side. Those are hell lot of "sources" to say its happening. Right now i am very sure this is happening, unless a miracle happens. I think van gaal will announce he wants to leave if/when we are out of F.A. cup. I dont think the league finish is important, maybe if we finish 3rd?. United are respecting their manager by not confirming a new one, until LVg is gone. That you can say is also disrespecting as there is so much speculation. All in all i would say, barring a miracle, we will have jose mourinho as the next united manager.
Wow, man. That is a very compelling research and list there. Bravo!!

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

Doubt it, but... :drool:

mbb8

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
But City had the Barcelona connection. Txiki and Guardiola are close friends. What's the link between Jose and United? For all we've been told, the power brokers at the club hate Jose.
No proof of this and the papers refer to Bobby Charlton & Fergie as the ones who supposedly don't like Jose - and in any case they are not on the main board of directors who hire and fire our managers

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
It's Woodward who makes the decisions though. And he's clearly been in discussions for Mourinho as there's too much smoke for it all to be made up. The club would have just denied it (like they did with the Guardiola Paris meeting story) instead of letting it run for 6 months and Mourinho's side would put an end to the stories too if there was nothing in it as otherwise it just makes it look like that he's been passed over again

If there's nothing in this then letting it run like this is just hurting both sides and makes no sense.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Won't believe it until I see him leading the charge in the Rovers Return, singing "knick knack paddy wack" at the top of his voice, whilst ordering hot pot off Liz McDonald

mbb8

It's Woodward who makes the decisions though. And he's clearly been in discussions for Mourinho as there's too much smoke for it all to be made up. The club would have just denied it (like they did with the Guardiola Paris meeting story) instead of letting it run for 6 months and Mourinho's side would put an end to the stories too if there was nothing in it as otherwise it just makes it look like that he's been passed over again

If there's nothing in this then letting it run like this is just hurting both sides and makes no sense.
Why would Jose's side squash the rumors? It's a great negotiating tool for them with other clubs.

As for United denying the rumors, it's not beneficial. It puts LVG under pressure to deliver top 4.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
MOURINHO to Man utd : The timeline of rumours (Credits to sportwitness)

December 20th:
The Independent run an exclusive saying Van Gaal will be sacked if his team lose to Stoke or Chelsea: 'Louis van Gaal set for Christmas sack if Manchester United lose to Stoke or Chelsea.

Louis van Gaal is facing the sack at Manchester United if the club lose to Stoke City or Chelsea during the festive fixture period.'

December 21st: The Daily Mirror say Van Gaal has ONE game left to save his job and will be sacked if Stoke win.

December 21st: Jan Aage Fjortoft tweets: 'Been talking to a lot of people last days.

My understanding:

Van Gaal OUT

Giggs the new manager

Could happen before Christmas'

December 22nd: Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf cover the claims from England, with a headline saying 'D-Day Louis' but they don't give any impression they believe an exit is imminent.

December 22nd: talkSPORT have something of a 'Van Gaal sacked' day, insinuating the manager could go that day, and making claims of upcoming announcements.

Andy Goldstein of the radio station tweeted: 'Lots asking me for news. It's coming. Be patient. Will be today....so I'm told. My guess would be before 7.30pm'

December 22nd: Trevor Sinclair, who at the time said on his profile he was a BBC pundit, jumps on the bandwagon and tweets that Van Gaal has been sacked. Sinclair later said he'd left his telephone unattended at a Christmas party and someone else had tweeted it, few believed him.

A huge fuss develops, with Kevin Palmer of the Sunday World adding 'Good to see Trevor Sinclair breaking the news that Man Utd have sacked Louis van Gaal...who needs Sky Sports News!'

December 22nd: The Sun say Mourinho is already working on Manchester United plans, and signing Wesley Sneijder would be his first move.

December 23rd: Van Gaal hosts his Manchester United press conference, clearly angry, asking for apologies over what he calls lies about his sacking being imminent.

Van Gaal ends the press conference, refusing to take questions, but wishes everyone well: "I wish you a merry Christmas and also maybe a happy new year when I see you. Enjoy the wine and a mince pie. Goodbye."

December 23rd: The Sun's Neil Custis prepares a response to Van Gaal within hours, turning the manager's request for an apology full circle and into an attack. Custis uses the name 'Apollo Gees'.

December 26th: Stoke City 2 Man United 0

December 26th: Paddy Power payout on Van Gaal being sacked: 'Ho ho ho… Merry Christmas! After today’s defeat Van Gaal’s position at United looks dodgier than cold turkey on Boxing Day so we decided to payout on a Van Gaal exit.'
e
December 26th: The Daily Mirror: 'Louis van Gaal on the brink of the sack after Manchester United crash to 2-0 defeat at Stoke. The Red Devils board accepted before the match that another defeat would make the Dutchman's position untenable.'

December 28th: The Telegraph say Van Gaal could quit, even if Manchester United beat Chelsea, after the manager made comments suggesting he could decide to leave if he wants.

December 28th: Man United 0 Chelsea 0

January 2nd: Man United 2 Swansea City 1

January 9th: Man United 1 Sheffield United 0

January 12th: Newcastle United 3 Man United 3

January 12th: After the Newcastle match, Van Gaal has another spat with journalists and allegedly calls The Sun's Neil Custis a 'fat man'. Despite several Dutch speakers saying the manager almost certainly said 'that man', and going into detail to explain why, Custis takes offence and admits he is fat.

A knee operation hit the journalist's fitness regime, but Van Gaal's words are inspiration enough for Custis, who gets a personal trainer, sets himself a weight-loss challenge, and films his workout.

January 17th: Liverpool 0 Man United 1

January 17th: Duncan Castles for One World Sports: 'Jose Mourinho turned down Real Madrid to wait for Premier League opening'

January 23rd: The Independent run an exclusive saying: 'Jose Mourinho to Manchester United: Ex-Chelsea manager pens six-page love letter to United to claim 'I can change''

Mourinho's agency Gestifute quickly deny the claims, saying the idea is 'totally absurd'.

January 23rd: Man United 0 Southampton 1

January 29th: Gazzetta dello Sport's London correspondent say Mourinho is in 'real but discreet' talks with Man United.

January 29th: Derby County 1 Man United 3

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
February 2nd: Man United 3 Stoke 0

February 3rd: Sky Italia journalist, who interviewed Jorge Mendes, recently says Mourinho to Man United is close.

February 3rd: Manchester Evening News journalist says Sky Italia claims are nonsense.

February 4th: El Confidencial say Mourinho has signed some sort of agreement with Manchester United, will be the club's new manager... with the only doubt being when he takes over.

February 5th: Various media outlets in Spain back up El Confidencial, with Marca saying Mourinho will take over on July 1st.

February 5th: Manchester Evening News journalist says Mourinho and Man United are in talks.

February 7th: Chelsea 1 Man United 1

February 10th: El Confidencial say Jorge Mendes is working on the final details of Mourinho's contract. He'll be paid €20m a year on a deal lasting until 2019.

February 10th: Gianluca Di Marzio tweets: 'I just told few days ago, I know he'll be the next manager.'

February 13th: Sunderland 2 Man United 1

February 14th: Duncan Castles writes for Sunday Times, saying: 'Man United have no agreement with Jose Mourinho. Risk losing their chance to hire him'

February 14th: The Sun run an exclusive saying Van Gaal could go before the end of the month, claiming the board 'believe they will lose nothing by swooping for the ex-Chelsea boss before their next league game at home to Arsenal on February 28.'

February 18th: FC Midtjylland 2 Man United 1

February 18th: Duncan Castles for One World Sports: 'Mourinho set to meet with Inter Milan.'

February 19th: Inter Milan's Bedy Moratti says: “He’s missed as a person, but right now he’s happy, he’s going to Manchester.”

February 20th: Duncan Castles tweets: 'On Jose Mourinho and Manchester United am told there has been no change of position this week. Still no deal.'

February 22nd: Shrewsbury 0 Man United 3

February 23rd: Portugal's Correio da Manhã report Mourinho has told friends he's got the job at Old Trafford, and they claim he's house hunting.

February 25th: Man United 5 FC Midtjylland 1

February 26th: Gianluca Di Marzio tweets: 'I said: I know he'll be the manager. I know, doesn't mean he signed. I know that. So let's wait it happens.'

February 27th: Duncan Castles writes for The Sunday Times, saying Man United's board split over Mourinho, but also claiming board will appoint director of football.

February 28th: Man United 3 Arsenal 2

March 1st: Spain's El Pais say Real Madrid have learned Mourinho has signed a pre contract agreement with Man United.

March 2nd: Man United 1 Watford 0

March 6th: West Brom 1 Man United 0

March 10th: Liverpool 2 Man United 0

March 11th: Gianluca Di Marzio, when asked about Mourinho, tweets: 'I know it’s United…'

And then: 'that's what i know and say for months now. 100% is when he signs and be official.'

March 13th: Man United 1 West Ham 1

March 16th: Mourinho grants an interview to BT Sport, in which he says: "Do I miss my football? Yes I miss it. But I look forward to the future, I want my football back and time flies and July will be just around the corner.

"Yes, for sure (he'll have a job in the summer). I don’t know where. Since I left Chelsea in December I was lucky enough to not just have options but good options. But I made the decision to wait. July, mid-July the new pre-season starts and somewhere I want to be there."

March 17th: Man United 1 Liverpool 1

March 19th: El Pais run a story similar to their previous one, but add figures: 'If United do not sign the final contract (with Mourinho) before May 1st, they must pay £5m; If by June 1st he's still not signed, they shall pay another £10m. May is the key, because it's the month in which the vast majority of the signings of players are closed and the plans formed.'

The El Pais story is written by Diego Torres, from sources close to Gestifute. Torres wrote a hugely critical Mourinho biography.

March 20th: Man City 0 Man United 1

March 21st: Duncan Castles for One World Sports: 'Jose Mourinho is considering an approach to replace Arsene Wenger at Arsenal. The Portuguese manager - also the principal candidate to succeed Louis van Gaal at Manchester United - has been asked by third parties to avoid committing himself to a new job while Wenger's future at the north London club remains unresolved.'
March 25th: The Sun run an exclusive saying Mourinho has a verbal agreement to take over at Man United and will be paid £20m: 'there is a verbal agreement in place that he will take over in May.'
April 3rd: Man United 1 Everton 0
April 5th: The Sun: 'Jose Mourinho demands written promise from Manchester United that he will be manager in summer. Special One is sweating over Old Trafford future after Fergie publicly backed LVG.'
April 6th: De Telegraaf run an article on Van Gaal's plans for next season, making it clear they believe he'll still be in charge at Man United. It's claimed the manager has been given assurances he can spend €100m in the summer window. Further Dutch reports follow that Van Gaal has turned down the opportunity of a role with the country's FA.
April 6th: Guillem Balague tweets: 'His (Jose's) people say all done with United', but points out Van Gaal thinks differently.
April 7th: The Sun: 'Jose Mourinho begins house hunting in Cheshire as he prepares for life as Manchester United boss. Special One is growing more confident he will be appointed Old Trafford chief.'

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Why would Jose's side squash the rumors? It's a great negotiating tool for them with other clubs.

As for United denying the rumors, it's not beneficial. It puts LVG under pressure to deliver top 4.
ok fair enough, I guess we both just see this differently

Acquire Me

That made no sense. It makes sense to deny the Pep rumors but not the Mourinho rumors that clearly want go away?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
There is difference between supporting the team and supporting the manager.

Even fecking Arsenal fans have made their voices heard regarding Wenger.
And they're supporting the team and not the manager. It's pretty evident given they fully support us during games but most people seem to want him gone. If you want people going batshit mental like that cringe worthy Arsenal fan TV, go ahead and start it. But given were reported to be lining up Mourinho as our next manager , would be a bit weird for fans to go on a bit of a protest.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
For all we know ed woodward is shapeshifting unicorn. So we aren't hiring Mourinho because we haven't got a link to him within the club? You're throwing a right hissy fit. At least wait till bad news comes before losing your shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.