BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoo

Someone had a similar phrase about LvG.

Will he be able to feck up Martial as much as he fecked up Hazard or will he just sell him (like he did with Lukaku, de Bruyne, Robben)? Will Man Utd, once they realize how horrible Mourinho is, be as badly fecked as Inter anno 2012 or just Chelsea anno 2007 (only winning the cup in 2009 despite spending more than anyone for several years in a row).

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I think those arguing about youth are mainly concerned with those from the academy. All of those were signed apart from Santon. Pretty sure you've got most of those ages wrong too as Zouma has only just turned 21 now and has been at Chelsea for a couple of seasons.
Zouma was a January buy when he was 18, and loaned back to ASSE, wasn't he?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I wont be surprised that Maureen made the mistake of making it obvious to Ivanovic and Terry that this was going to be their final year. Sure as hell they weren't going to just leave without taking their pound of flesh.

Come to think of it, maybe that's the reason why SAF kept the old guard for as much as they wanted (and Im not referring to just Gaz, Giggs and co but also to people like Robson and Keane until the latter lost the dressing room). Who knows, maybe he knew that there were fights that not even the great Alex could win?
Ferguson was quick to get rid of any player who was starting to stir trouble in the dressing room wasn't he? It always prevented these mutinies happening to him. It's like he could see it coming from a mile away. Chelsea never keep a manager around long enough for them to establish a big enough role at the club so that player power doesn't become an issue.

Revan

Assumptionman
Pep quit after Mou beat him to the La Liga title.
Pep quit because he fed up with Barca's inter-politics and was burned out by working all day long for four years. He didn't quit because of Mourinho, similarly how he didn't get the best of Mourinho almost always.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Far from daft. He's a human being, he will be emotional returning there. If a winning goal happens and he's not exactly composed and calm don't be surprised, that's all I'm saying.
Well I would be surprised, that's all I'm saying! No chance. None. Zip. Nada.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
fecks sake. Ashey cole was 23,Lampard 25, Mikel 17,Kalou 18, Cech 21, Courtouis 21,Santon god knows, same with Balotelli(That inter-side was a retirement home when he got there), Robben 20,Zouma 21, Hazard 20, Oscar the same.. It's pretty retarded to suggest he doesn't "do youth". NO manager ever was successfull only using youth.
Bosingwa, Varane, Morata, Carlton Cole, Salah (kinda) too.

GeneralGattuso

Happy? Not really. I'll be happy when he wins us the league or CL every year or adapts to a more long term, exciting style of football with out imploding and failing in 3 years... then I'll be happy. If Mourinho comes, he's going to have to prove he's capable of doing the Man Utd job in my eyes.

Classical Mechanic

Pep quit because he fed up with Barca's inter-politics and was burned out by working all day long for four years. He didn't quit because of Mourinho, similarly how he didn't get the best of Mourinho almost always.
Well, Chelsea also knocked him out of the CL. I bet he wouldn't be tired of Barca's internal politics if he had done the treble that year.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
19. I had him in my SM team at the time (still do). Even at that young age both he and Varane were touted as the next big thing defensively.
I remember from FM, was annoying as feck afterwards as you'd have to wait years to pinch him off Chelsea whereas in 14, you could nab him instantly and have a key piece of your defence sorted for 15 years.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ferguson was quick to get rid of any player who was starting to stir trouble in the dressing room wasn't he? It always prevented these mutinies happening to him. It's like he could see it coming from a mile away. Chelsea never keep a manager around long enough for them to establish a big enough role at the club so that player power doesn't become an issue.
Sometimes you can sort it up that way and sometimes you have to suck it up. If you take what happened to Maureen in perspective it makes sense why SAF refused to see what many of us saw quite clearly (a non existent CM during his latter years and Keane walking on the pitch in his last 1-2 years of United career). I seriously doubt that SAF or any other manager for all that manager could survive a mutiny from such influential figures

predator

Youth NITK
Sounds cheesy but he was made to manage United. There's just something about Jose managing us that seems like it was meant to be.

If we do get him I personally would find it more exciting than signing a world class player. I can imagine some of our player flourishing under him. Then again we all know some players do not work under his style.

Revan

Assumptionman
Well, Chelsea also knocked him out of the CL. I bet he wouldn't be tired of Barca's internal politics if he had done the treble that year.
I think that he was going to leave anyway, and that Rosell and co. were happy to let him leave. His mentor (Cruyff) was exiled from the club, Laporta who gave him unconditional support left, together with Txiki Begiristain who actually gave him the job.

Pep was too popular with the fans to be get rid and Rosell offered him a contract extension, but from all reports, Pep wanted to leave whatever it happens.

Member 5225

But Jose leaving RMadrid for the exact same issues seem to be an issue for some?!

entropy

No, he didn't. His record against Pep them is actually very respectable, especially considering Pep had the superior side. Stop ignoring the stats just because you don't like the man.
I love the man. Which is why it is hard for me to admit that his spell at RM was the worst in his career.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Which of the academy players he managed in Chelsea, Madrid or Inter was proven to be good? No-one at all. So, who cares that he didn't give chances to players who weren't good enough. He was there to win matches, not to turn donkeys into less donkeys.
Don't even bother man, the fact that those academies didn't produce a lot of players of genuine quality should be overlooked. Folk will project one anomalous season at Chelsea over his entire career (apparently he leaves every club in the relegation zone), clubs with at times toxic broadroom and dressing room environs (Chelsea and Real Madrid with Roman and Florentino) will be used against him, but we will selectively erase Internazionale and Porto from our memories, or even Chelsea I where a lot of the players would have fallen on the sword for him; people will dig up, or even invent arguments just to have a go at Mourinho because he doesn't fit the stereotype and is too much of a *censored word*.

eg. Apparently Pep vanquished José in head to head meetings, even though:

At Internazionale, he won the European Cup against Bayern Munich, after defeating Pep's Barcelona in the semi-finals.
In his first season at Madrid, yes they lost 5-0 at the Nou Camp, and lost the league, and lost in the semi-finals of the Champions League; but they did defeat Barcelona in the finals of the Copa del Rey.
In his second season, they won the La Liga, but lost to Barcelona in the Copa del Rey.

So, in broader picture terms, and in terms of winning silverware, it was a rather even match - 1 European Cup each while facing each other in that 3 season window, 1 La Liga apiece, 1 Copa del Rey title for each, and one extra Supercopa for Pep; this despite Barcelona's superiority in terms of personnel. So the disparity in overall W/L ratio doesn't really tell the whole story.

Another one - Pep supposedly destroyed Mourinho in terms of mind-games, even though Guardiola quit immediately after José won the La Liga with Real Madrid; and seemed visibly unnerved at times through the 2011/ 2012 season - it was for a multitude of reasons to be fair, and maybe his heart wasn't in it evidenced by the sabbatical, but still, Pep snapped in the face of Mourinho's war of words:
"Señor Mourinho has permitted himself the luxury of calling me Pep, so I will call him Jose," he said. "Tomorrow at 8.45pm we face each other on the pitch. He has won the battle off the pitch. If he wants his own personal Champions League trophy away from the pitch, let him take it home and enjoy it. In this room [the Bernabéu press room] Mourinho is the f------ chief, the f------ boss. He knows all about this and I don't want to compete with him in here. I'd just like to remind him that I worked with him for four years [at Barcelona]. He knows me and I know him.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...Pep-Guardiola-over-the-edge-at-Barcelona.html

Pep says (to quote) - "He has won the battle off the pitch". But nah, Guardiola destroyed Mourinho when it came to mind games.

SirAF

Ageist
For the love of everything that is holy in this world, let it be true!!

Someone

Something
We need to remember something important here, he's a massive twat.

Not the kind where you say "but he's our twat" no, he's the "i don't wanna be seen with this twat" kind.

Sir A1ex

Happy? Not really. I'll be happy when he wins us the league or CL every year or adapts to a more long term, exciting style of football with out imploding and failing in 3 years... then I'll be happy. If Mourinho comes, he's going to have to prove he's capable of doing the Man Utd job in my eyes.
I'll settle for one league title and him feckin' off. The one massive thing for me is somebody... anybody winning our first post-Fergie title. Once we know we're not doing another 26 year barren spell, we'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.