Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Bruno suffers from having a bit of a hero complex. Makes sense since when we signed him he immediately became our main man. Reminds me of Gerrard in the way that he loves to always try the spectacular. The problem is that he plays so high up the pitch that it can basically unbalance our entire side unless we a) play him as a false nine or b) stick two holding midfielders behind him. We have tried both, and neither look to be massively successful.

On the one hand, he needs to become less of a "big fish in a small pond" sort of player, on the other hand, we need some of the rest of the squad the step up to actually alleviate the pressure on Bruno.

Could be a big player under Rangnick, but equally could find himself out of the limelight if he doesnt fit easy into Rangnicks system.

united for life

If Bruno left and thrived elsewhere as he was at Sporting ...these same pathetic fans who are always on a scapegoat mission will be moaning. A defensive game will never suit Bruno...that's not his strength. Thats why so many players look world class at City, they control the game and have a lot of the ball. If you want to park the bus you're better off not playing Bruno or any of out attackers who feed off scraps.
thank you, I wouldn’t have said it better

always_hoping

From Statman Dave

Chances created from open play in the Premier League in 2021:

71 — Bruno Fernandes
70 —
69 —
68 —
67 —
66 —
65 —
64 —
63 —
62 —
61 —
60 —
59 —
58 — Mohamed Salah
57 —
56 —
55 — Trent Alexander-Arnold

AbstruseAlan

I'd be interested in arguments against for dropping Bruno vs big teams and in games we're likely to see a lot less possession etc.

He's not very good playing in a defensive shape/team. Pogba for example when back I think is much better suited to picking the ball up in tight spaces and playing those long dangerous through balls to Rashford/Sancho etc. I love Bruno and he's obviously one of our better players but he's so much better suited to us being on the front foot rather than games like yesterday.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
That’s our problem. A lot of people have falsely given this guy the title of our best player. He can’t make continuous short range passes to save his life and he fizz’s balls to your attackers like the ball is a punching bag.
Have you slipped out of character?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I'd be interested in arguments against for dropping Bruno vs big teams and in games we're likely to see a lot less possession etc.

He's not very good playing in a defensive shape/team. Pogba for example when back I think is much better suited to picking the ball up in tight spaces and playing those long dangerous through balls to Rashford/Sancho etc. I love Bruno and he's obviously one of our better players but he's so much better suited to us being on the front foot rather than games like yesterday.
I dont want to drop Bruno I just think for big games he needs to be considered a striker quite simply when you have 2 wingers and 2 wing backs allowed to push up, or you play him and a striker but tell the FBs to stay back, theres just a balance and his output is worth working round if we are well drilled enough

UncleBob

I have little doubt that Ralf will love Bruno, he'll fit in perfectly with the high energy football that we need to adapt to. Odds are that Bruno will be the easiest player to implement it via.
Hopefully, pressing as a team will enable Bruno to perform at a higher level as well...

Chief123

From Statman Dave

71 — Bruno Fernandes
70 —
69 —
68 —
67 —
66 —
65 —
64 —
63 —
62 —
61 —
60 —
59 —
58 — Mohamed Salah
57 —
56 —
I love how the illustration educates us at the same time by letting us know exactly how many numbers there are between 58 and 71. :lol:

NewYorkRed

Still one of the most creative players in the world. Players like him don’t look great in dysfunctional teams, and he’s still had moments of quality even when the team’s looked crap. He’ll be just fine; easy to forget that he is still one of the PL’s elite players.

The United

Yes, saying that he's incapable of pressing is a step too far. Although that section of the article is about the players not doing what they were learning in training. It's probably come from someone in the coaching staff trying to make themselves look less culpable for the mess. I agree that under a better coach he should be fine in this regard.

On the second point. At least from what I've read on RR and his style, the aim is to get the ball up the pitch as fast as possible in a 'vertical' manner, in contrast to the Tiki Taka style. A German poster stated that one of his sides had a really low pass completion rate as well so I'm not sure that we'll see any sort of controlled football that some people seem to be expecting. Bruno seems to fit the type of player that would excell under RR. I think his off the cuff Hollywood passes will fit the system.
If it is true and happens with us, it will be amusing to see what CAF will say.

Obviously, winning more with that makes it a bit less toxic. But we would still see 'controlling the game' crowd keep crying about it.

Blood Mage

Very concerned about him, he's gone from being the second best midfielder in the league to one of the worst midfielders in the league in the last couple of months. Ralf needs to do some serious work with him on the training pitch.

AbstruseAlan

I dont want to drop Bruno I just think for big games he needs to be considered a striker quite simply when you have 2 wingers and 2 wing backs allowed to push up, or you play him and a striker but tell the FBs to stay back, theres just a balance and his output is worth working round if we are well drilled enough
Fair point, I understand what you're saying. He'd definitely need to remain far more disciplined in staying high and not being tempted to get involved too much deeper. He was clearing balls from left back and right back yesterday. It's not where you want him. Even when he wins it, it's not going to achieve much as I don't rate his long range passing from deep like a Pogba etc. I can clearly remember him winning it left back and then playing it across our goal and giving it away and in turn Chelsea, a really good chance.

Mr PG

From Statman Dave

71 — Bruno Fernandes
70 —
69 —
68 —
67 —
66 —
65 —
64 —
63 —
62 —
61 —
60 —
59 —
58 — Mohamed Salah
57 —
56 —
This has quieted some of the non-sensical abuse our best player is getting here...unbelievably...you'd think Bruno killed somebody the manner in which he's getting abused here

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Love him but he needs to stop playing like we are 1-0 down with 10 minutes to go from kick-off. I believe Carrick has had a word about it after Watford and hence why he was dropped at Villarreal (where he came on, generally kept it simple and was fantastic). Back to being frustrating on Sunday but that was more down to Chelsea's relentless pressing - but still some really careless moments where you just need to keep it simple against a top side and keep the ball.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
From Statman Dave

71 — Bruno Fernandes
70 —
69 —
68 —
67 —
66 —
65 —
64 —
63 —
62 —
61 —
60 —
59 —
58 — Mohamed Salah
57 —
56 —
Where is the next united player on the list

Last edited:

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
People who want to see him dropped arent with their right mind if you ask me. Form or no form. He is the only fecking one who creates something and is able to rip open an opponents defense. Plus the only way to retain form is to play him and we want him back in form ASAP. We simply cannot afford to drop him.

romufc

People who want to see him dropped arent with their right mind if you ask me. Form or no form. He is the only fecking one who creates something and is able to rip open an opponents defense. Plus the only way to retain form is to play him and we want him back in form ASAP. We simply cannot afford to drop him.
The thing is, I reckon with a better coach he can be tamed. Everyone is having a go at him for giving the ball away against Chelsea but none of our players could keep the ball under pressure, it wasn't just him.

We have seen in games, without him we do not create chances, so I would rather see him in the team than out of it.

Man Utd 3:2 Arsenal

lost7

So happy for him, you could tell from his celebration just how important that goal was for him. Now it's the perfect time to get back to form

Pretty meh game from him other than the goal, but I'm confident he'll be able to build on this moving forward

saivet

I thought he was very good today. Didn't notice any or many occasions where he was unnecessarily forcing things. Well taken goal too.

united for life

Solid game today. Like i always say, he will never be brilliant when we park the bus. But when we play attacking football, that’s when he’ll show his true worth. Pressed high, good passing, scored (how much did that mean to him!!). A very good player with lots of passion on the pitch.

lex talionis

Not his best or worst performance, but Bruno gave it all he had today. I still think we’re overplaying him. But he put in a very solid performance today in delivering the glorious 3-2 win in what really was a must-win game for us.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Yeah, it's quite obvious he adjusted his game last night and played it more safe. Still scored and managed to have a good game.

And that hug at the end :drool:

Mainoldo

Him and McFred should never play together again. Probably the most boring combo since Carrick, Fletcher and Gibson.

He will be incredible under a proper manager who teaches him to be better instead of just telling him to go out and do whatever he likes. With only a little more restraint yesterday he was better than he has been for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.