5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NZT-One

He's trying his best I think, but his pass accuracy % is just so bad.

He has the vision and the heart, the quality of the execution lets him down more than half the time.
Even execution is more than fine I think, what is really lacking with Bruno is the decision making. He always goes for the pass forward, which obviously is not always the easiest, most effective or efficient option. Brunos vision and courage are awesome traits, but he needs somebody to teach him to pick his moments. Just like with Ronaldo - keep it easy and save the fancy stuff for special occasions to make the most effect.

Bruno has been one of our rare good signings in the post Fergie era. I don't get why everyone goes in on him all the time.

Ronaldo arrival seems to have overshadowed him this year but last two seasons I think he's been out best player
I think because he is carrying the same issue the whole Ole reign carried - good results mask questionable performances. That is a pretty good description of Bruno as well because his performances often were saved by an assist or a goal. Brunos natural game seems to be the antithesis of control. Which is why he needs to mitigated by team tactics to deliver his best. He is an instinct player, a bit like Fred - I think, these two will significantly benefit as soon as we employ some sort of forward pressing which increases the number of turnovers high up the pitch. But as long as we are trying this control stuff, he is not the best player to have. It just isn't his game. And seeing him moan and sulking gives, at least me personally, lots of reasons to avoid making him the focal point of the team.

He was an ole signing- he was great in an ole team- Pinch the ball, play it quick/fast and release a player on the counter. That’s why it’s took him so long to adapt to a more pragmatic planned approach, it doesn’t suit him though.
Yeah, I think that summarises him very accurate.

Greck

In the last three games his passing accuracy is similar to Pogba's(in only one game he was far lower than Pogba in this department), and he created almost twice as Pogba in those three games, and made more passes in general than Pogba.

Pogba's performances since he's back are regarded mostly as very good to - "he is clearly our best player", while Bruno is described by mostly being out of form and is "one of our main problems".

This place is amazing.
I'd hope an attacking midfielder's forward passes result in more chances created but you can also just say you didn't think Pogba was good enough. I think we already know we have enough moments contributions.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He literally hasn’t been good in a calendar year. Last spring Pogba, Greenwood, and Cavani basically carried us. And in the fall the less said the better, pretty much everyone was terrible besides Ronaldo (who is noww currently shite).
Pogba carried us? His last PL goal for United before Burnley the other day was against Fulham in January 2020.

How is that carrying us?

I swear to god some of you watch a different Pogba to me. He played on the left wing in Spring and didn't score a single PL goal.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Perhaps people don’t watch football matches via Opta’s Twitter feed?
I am not quite sure what's your point.

I thought both Pogba and Bruno were equally good in past few games, but I am not quite sure why they got completely different comments in their threads, mostly by Pogba fans. So I went to check stats, considering Bruno was blamed a lot for not keeping the possession and I saw that he was almost identical to Pogba when it comes to passing accuracy, which pretty much confirmed that you can't blame one without blaming the other for that, especially as we know that Bruno always creates more anyway, as he actually did in these past three games.

So saying Pogba is good or our best player, while Bruno is shite and our main problem based on last three games is obviously complete bullshit to anyone who has watched these games. But who disagrees with that can check the stats which will prove that anyway.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I am not quite sure what's your point.

I thought both Pogba and Bruno were equally good in past few games, but I am not quite sure why they got completely different comments in their threads, mostly by Pogba fans. So I went to check stats, considering Bruno was blamed a lot for not keeping the possession and I saw that he was almost identical to Pogba when it comes to passing accuracy, which pretty much confirmed that you can't blame one without blaming the other for that, especially as we know that Bruno always creates more anyway, as he actually did in these past three games.

So saying Pogba is good or our best player, while Bruno is shite and our main problem based on last three games is obviously complete bullshit to anyone who has watched these games. But who disagrees with that can check the stats which will prove that anyway.
I’m sure you are. You basically said that some people had very differing views of the respective performances of Bruno and Pogba, which was nonsense and you effectively have the stats to prove it. If it were that simple then perhaps we should just read stats. Not that it is unreasonable for you to have a different view to these people, but your stats don’t necessarily prove anything. Pass completion has layers for example. In watching the game you don’t see 82%, you watch every pass and get a feel. Perhaps the passes Bruno gave away were considered worse transgressions than the ones Pogba gave away to some people?

Pogba also scored a goal and Bruno also missed very presentable sitters in this period, which may have also influenced some people’s views, which you didn’t mention in your stats. And I don’t see many people saying Bruno is shite and out main problem anyway. But they do seem to think Pogba has performed better in the last 3 games.

Mainoldo

Young Mata was 10 times a better player than Bruno. I think he is very overrated
I don’t think there is a person on earth except for Bruno’s Dad who would think prime Bruno is better than prime Mata. We are talking about someone in the league of David Silva.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He's a more productive Giggs from 2005-2013. Either a jaw dropping pass or terrible giveaway. Giggs could keep the ball though.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Only Telles (crosses) and Rashfordhave a lower pass completion rate than Bruno for the season.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Both him and Pogba dropped their performances from the moment McT was cautioned.

Ring a bell ?

Greck

Only Telles (crosses) and Rashfordhave a lower pass completion rate than Bruno for the season.
If the Rashford stat is true then that's truly shocking for a player with no creative duty, who shoots a lot and is only asked to make short layoffs. Matches the eyetest because his short passing decisions are easily the worst in the first team. The worst thing about our attack is our main pieces are allergic to 3-5 yard passes. Can't tell if it's low intelligence and/or poor impulse control but it's irritating and why we will never become a well drilled side at breaking teams down.

Mainoldo

He's a more productive Giggs from 2005-2013. Either a jaw dropping pass or terrible giveaway. Giggs could keep the ball though.
Giggs was one of the best dribblers in world Football. What’s Bruno one of the best of? Moaning?

Maniron

Bruno trying to get the Southampton player booked for an accidental handball in the first half was embarrassing. If he spent less time moaning (along with Ronaldo and Pogba) he would be more productive. Meanwhile we have Lingard and Mata rusting on the bench

Dan_F

I think he’s doing exactly what Ralf wants for the most part. Okay the execution was terrible in the second half, and it was probably too panicky, but the whole point of Rangnick’s tactics is to get the ball forward as quick as possible after winning it and have an attempt on goal. That’s exactly what we are seeing, in the first 45 minutes anyway.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Bruno trying to get the Southampton player booked for an accidental handball in the first half was embarrassing. If he spent less time moaning (along with Ronaldo and Pogba) he would be more productive. Meanwhile we have Lingard and Mata rusting on the bench
The way they all moan is so annoying. They waste energy bickering for pointless. Their focus is all over the place

Greck

I think he’s doing exactly what Ralf wants for the most part. Okay the execution was terrible in the second half, and it was probably too panicky, but the whole point of Rangnick’s tactics is to get the ball forward as quick as possible after winning it and have an attempt on goal. That’s exactly what we are seeing, in the first 45 minutes anyway.
These are Ralf's tactics. Attack progression with intelligent short passing, one touches and only long balls as the situation calls for. Quick as possible doesn't mean one long pass to totally bypass an entire passage of play, that's too literal and predictable.
Look at the pass selection in the few instances when the defenses are sitting deep. No one ever says f it, I'm going to do it all myself.

Dan_F

These are Ralf's tactics. Attack progression with intelligent short passing, one touches and only long balls as the situation calls for. Quick as possible doesn't mean one long pass to totally bypass an entire passage of play, that's too literal and predictable.
Look at the pass selection in the few instances when the defenses are sitting deep. No one ever says f it, I'm going to do it all myself.
I don’t see that being too different to how we tried to play in the first half of the recent games. Of course in that video you’re watching the successful transitions all merged together which is misleading, because it’s not representative of one game or anything that went wrong.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ralf needs to be a bit stricter on him. He's not that good a player that we can entertain his ridiculously maverick tendencies. There was a cross field pass on with one player drifting out into space and the other inside but marked. And I just knew Bruno couldn't help himself going for the more ambitious and clearly stupider option. Someone like Scholes would have definitely picked the player in more space and helped the move progress.

As good as Bruno was in his first year, bad decision making is becoming is forte and it has to be resolved.

Greck

I don’t see that being too different to how we tried to play in the first half of the recent games. Of course in that video you’re watching the successful transitions all merged together which is misleading, because it’s not representative of one game or anything that went wrong.
This is a Bruno thread right? So I'm talking about how Bruno needs to play over 90 minutes for the tactics to truly stick. It only takes one player to break those combinations so everyone has to be fully bought in. Patience, intelligence and trust in the system.

KeanoMagicHat

The problem remains, Ronaldo on the pitch takes up the space he would like to slip into and he’s merely a good midfielder whereas he is a world class second striker. We see it again and again.

Dan_F

This is a Bruno thread right? So I'm talking about how Bruno needs to play over 90 minutes for the tactics to truly stick. It only takes one player to break those combinations so everyone has to be fully bought in. Patience, intelligence and trust in the system.
That lofted ball forward of his generally gets worse and worse throughout a game, rather than them only appearing when we lose patience. It was a feature of our recent successful periods in matches, both at Burnley and Boro, the good stuff we played definitely involved Rashford/Sancho spinning their defenders and running directly on to fairly long balls. Same for the multiple chances Ronaldo missed.

It would also be too simplistic to just blame Bruno. You’d have to look back and see if the other three players ahead of him are in the right position. There’s a good chance they have got tired too and the counter isn’t being executed properly. I’m sure that’s what are analysts are doing :nervous:

Mainoldo

The problem remains, Ronaldo on the pitch takes up the space he would like to slip into and he’s merely a good midfielder whereas he is a world class second striker. We see it again and again.
We are not going to compete with Bruno playing SS. So it doesn’t matter about Ronaldo, both are a huge problem. Bruno is not a system player. Sporting look a much better team without him.

KeanoMagicHat

We are not going to compete with Bruno playing SS. So it doesn’t matter about Ronaldo, both are a huge problem. Bruno is not a system player. Sporting look a much better team without him.
We did compete though, we were 2nd in the league and a penalty save away from the Europa League, which was a lot better than anything this season. The team last season with a better midfield with Rice or Kamara instead of McTominay and a few other small amendments could have been working towards something really good.

Mainoldo

We did compete though, we were 2nd in the league and a penalty save away from the Europa League, which was a lot better than anything this season. The team last season with a better midfield with Rice or Kamara instead of McTominay and a few other small amendments could have been working towards something really good.
We have come second before most recently without him and comfortably second at that. We also was a penalty miss away against a team we should of easily beat in a competition that we were relegated too.

With a better midfielder it will just expose how crap he is. As it will then depend on him to create in the final third using intelligence which he doesn’t have much off (if you watch him closely).

Greck

That lofted ball forward of his generally gets worse and worse throughout a game, rather than them only appearing when we lose patience. It was a feature of our recent successful periods in matches, both at Burnley and Boro, the good stuff we played definitely involved Rashford/Sancho spinning their defenders and running directly on to fairly long balls. Same for the multiple chances Ronaldo missed.

It would also be too simplistic to just blame Bruno. You’d have to look back and see if the other three players ahead of him are in the right position. There’s a good chance they have got tired too and the counter isn’t being executed properly. I’m sure that’s what are analysts are doing :nervous:
No one is blaming just Bruno. We're in a Bruno thread so we're going to talk about his play as we do in the Ronaldo thread and Rashford threads. As for lofted balls they have no place being played heavily when there isn't actually any space to run onto. It's a situational tool. We are no longer playing counter football.

Dan_F

No one is blaming just Bruno. We're in a Bruno thread so we're going to talk about his play as we do in the Ronaldo thread and Rashford threads. As for lofted balls they have no place being played heavily when there isn't actually any space to run onto. It's a situational tool. We are no longer playing counter football.
I know we’re in the Bruno thread, you’ve told me twice now. I’m giving you my point of view that the positioning of other players as they tire/lose their heads when conceding, may effect his performance, hence the need to include it when talking about Bruno’s performance and why the longer passes look so bad later in games.

As for your second part, you can dress it up in a lederhosen and give it a German accent, but when your whole football principal is about winning the ball back and having a shot as quickly as possible, that is very much counter football. It’s not sitting back and sucker punching a better team, but it’s still “counter football”.

Litch

I kind of get why we got Bruno relative easy for a player of that profile. The issue is what you gain from him in one hand, you lose in the other hand. For those who know basketball, he’s the Westbrook of football.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’d like to see Ronaldo gone to see if Bruno can settle again. I feel like for whatever reason he’s not been the same since Ronaldo arrived

Litch

I’d like to see Ronaldo gone to see if Bruno can settle again. I feel like for whatever reason he’s not been the same since Ronaldo arrived
Make you right but he‘s not alone. CR7 turns up at any club and others players immediately turn into small fishes in the rather large Ronaldo pond. It’s literally sink or swim. Bruno regressed to the player in a Portugal shirt who’s first thought on the ball is where is Ronaldo….like said, he's not alone.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Yes, which believe it or not, is what football is. All you Opta nerds may as well just read football instead of watch it.
Oh, you mean real life games in which we haven't won a single game since Pogba is back and have lost every midfield battle in these three games?

Man Utd 2:0 Brighton

SER19

Remains the absolute heart of the team. Tracks back as good as any attacker we've ever had, might have had 2 assists, always a moment of magic - and some let a few misplaced passes cloud everything.

Hes everything I want in a United player.

lost7

That finish at the end was pure class, was straight out of the Cantona playbook. He also created 2 peach of assists that Ronaldo should have buried.

His overall play was still mediocre and I couldn't believe he missed another sitter, but I'm really glad he scored at the end as that should give him a lot of confidence

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Was flat alongside everyone else in the 1st half but ,minor the sitter, he played well in the 2nd. Glad he got his goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.