Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Since 2015/16 the season in which he started to feature more prominently for Madrid they only failed to reach the 84 League tally point on two occasions one in which they won the Champions League and the other in which they clearly had internal problems with their managerial selections.

He clearly has a howler of a game in his. Here and there as we saw early last season but you don't get those League finishes by having an inconsistent performer in your team especially in the position that he played.
You seem like you've seem him play more often than me. What would you say is his main weakness? Pacy attackers?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Said by someone who has never seen Keane play before his injuries.

Younger Keane was a force of nature as well as a natural leader.
Keane really was unreal. I've heard some folk say he was a box to box player, others an all out defensive midfielder, a small few an attacking midfielder, and they were all right. Like you say, it also helps that he was a proper Captain, and he didn't take shit from anyone. Not many folk will gladly offer a punch up to Viera just to defend a team mate.

Cezine

Supports
Real Madrid
His team maybe achieved more. He didn't wim those trohpies on his own.

It's a team sport. You're comparing the two as of they're individual sportsmen.

If Madrid had won less(let's say they didn't have prime Ronadlo) would you rank Casemiro as a lesser player?
To be fair, RM didn't won any CL with Cristiano until Casemiro arrived to the team.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I was talking about our history. Cantona is definitely comparable but I'm still not sure he was as transformation as Casemiro.
Cantona was the catalyst for the rest of the 90's after he joined, he gave the team belief and helped guide the class of 92, his influence can't be under-estimated, I was at the game against City when he came on a sub for his debut, whilst he didn't impact the result of that game you felt the team puffed it's chest

If Casemiro can guide United to a title next season then yes he'll be just as big a transformation - I bloody well hope so!

Last edited:

kidbob

Casemiro is a better player than Roy keane tbh.
Watch Keane play for Ireland against Holland and Portugal and you'll change your mind. Casemiro isn't that far off but not quite as good. No shame, though, because Keane is the best midfielder the PL has had so far.

In terms of tangibles Keane was a much more consistent accurate forward passer for instance.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
You seem like you've seem him play more often than me. What would you say is his main weakness? Pacy attackers?
I'd say none and I feel comfortable saying that seeing how Madrid fared against the very best Europe could offer for so many years and casemiro on his best is impeccable.

Things to consider are him being over worked as he could go haywire when so with extremely erattic passing being the result but I don't think that's exclusive to any one player , he also has a bad pass in him from time to time as we've seen.

The biggest concern in my opinion is not expecting too much from him, when at Madrid he would usually release the ball to someone like kroos and join the attack so he wouldn't carry it much that's why I'd still think we're due a new cm so we could replicate the Madrid model although to be fair casemiro has done the aforementioned role marvelously so maybe he could rise to the occasion here with us , we'd get a better feel of how he'd cope against wc opposition in that regard against man city.

Thom Merrilin

I'd say none and I feel comfortable saying that seeing how Madrid fared against the very best Europe could offer for so many years and casemiro on his best is impeccable.

Things to consider are him being over worked as he could go haywire when so with extremely erattic passing being the result but I don't think that's exclusive to any one player , he also has a bad pass in him from time to time as we've seen.

The biggest concern in my opinion is not expecting too much from him, when at Madrid he would usually release the ball to someone like kroos and join the attack so he wouldn't carry it much that's why I'd still think we're due a new cm so we could replicate the Madrid model although to be fair casemiro has done the aforementioned role marvelously so maybe he could rise to the occasion here with us , we'd get a better feel of how he'd cope against wc opposition in that regard against man city.
I think we're already replicating the Madrid model. Erikson is playing the kroos role.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's fun to watch him play, he just knows where the danger is and he is good in attacking third too. His cross to Martial deserved assist, it was awesome.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I think we're already replicating the Madrid model. Erikson is playing the kroos role.
I love eriksen but going forward i don't think he could pull that off long term and as someone else has said on this forum idealy he should be more of a gundogan figure than a permanent starter for us.

Someone like Enzo Fernandez would have been ideal to replicate the kroos model , he could do well defensively and be great at distributing from the back but he's Chelsea bound now, we could also deviate from the model by going for Someone like de jong(ten hag 's original plan) in which case de jong will do the ball carrying and would join the attack in which case casemiro wouldn't be better suited to stay behind although that could possibly be a waste of his talents somewhat.

All in all in my opinion getting a wc cm this summer to build a double pivot is of massive importance, we might possibly have the very best dm in the world but he's 30 and to waste several of his prime years without getting a top class player to partner him would be idiotic.

Wing Attack Plan R

Keane really was unreal. I've heard some folk say he was a box to box player, others an all out defensive midfielder, a small few an attacking midfielder, and they were all right. Like you say, it also helps that he was a proper Captain, and he didn't take shit from anyone. Not many folk will gladly offer a punch up to Viera just to defend a team mate.
Exactly. Add Martinez’s butcher persona to Casemiro’s class, and you’re getting closer to describing Keane. I think adding some of Bruno’s never-ending demand for the ball, always wanting to take it and spark something, to the above and you’ve got prime Keane.

Said by someone who has never seen Keane play before his injuries.

Younger Keane was a force of nature as well as a natural leader.
Are we pretending Casemiro isn’t a force of nature and natural leader? :lol:

Keane was sensational, but so is Casemiro who’s even a better all round footballer. It’s no slight on Keane, Casemiro is one of the most decorated midfielders ever to play the game.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Bloody hell, i knew that he is world class when we signed him but he is unbelievable. Defends, leads, creates and scores. What a player

Sylar

I won't argue the opinion but would make a case for Roy Keane being the best midfielder I've seen at united. Immense player who could do it all.

Casemiro still has a lot to do for united to be in that same bracket but casemiro performances have been magnificent

TsuWave

Are we pretending Casemiro isn’t a force of nature and natural leader? :lol:

Keane was sensational, but so is Casemiro who’s even a better all round footballer. It’s no slight on Keane, Casemiro is one of the most decorated midfielders ever to play the game.
Always kills me when people list these intangibles as if they don't/can't apply to other players.

A substantial number of United fans feels very insecure about conceding that there are players now that are indeed better than a lot of United legends. Casemiro being better than Keane isn't a mark against Keane

I won't argue the opinion but would make a case for Roy Keane being the best midfielder I've seen at united. Immense player who could do it all.

Casemiro still has a lot to do for united to be in that same bracket but casemiro performances have been magnificent
I don’t think anyone’s making the argument that Casemiro is a better player for United than Keane. He’s joined too late for that and has no chance of ever coming close to eclipsing or even matching what Roy Keane did at this club in the few years he has here.

Over his entire career though, that’s a different story.

Last edited:

Sylar

I don’t think anyone’s making the argument that Casemiro is a better player for United than Keane. He’s joined too late for that and has no chance of ever coming close to eclipsing or even matching what Roy Keane did at this club in the few years he has here.

Over his entire career though, that’s a different story.
The initial response was to me saying : our best midfielder since Roy Keane ...

midou

It was a bit shocking to me, why Casemiro decided to join us still in his prime. My first thought was retirement money while kicking it around with his pals Ronaldo and Varane, I admit I was suspicious.

What a revelation after so many years of crap/no midfield.

Drizzle

He's not. Keane was more consistently accurate with his passing, and a bit faster and snappier round the pitch.

Casemiro is definitely world class though and not a million miles away. If I were to be critical I'd say his passing can be erratic under pressure and he's also pretty slow on the turn. I was at the match yesterday and thought he had a rather sloppy game (silly fouls, not as influential) until it all opened up towards the end when he could spray it around. Nice goal though.

Long Time Red

Cantona was the catalyst for the rest of the 90's after he joined, he gave the team belief and helped guide the class of 92, his influence can't be under-estimated, I was at the game against City when he came on a sub for his debut, whilst he didn't impact the result of that game you felt the team puffed it's chest

If Casemiro can guide United to a title next season then yes he'll be just as big a transformation - I bloody well hope so!
But Casemiro was coming into a team at a much lower starting point.

Cantona came into a team that finished 2nd the season before, Casemiro was coming into a team that scraped 6th.

After the Brentford game there was even someone who started a thread The elephant in the room….. could this club face a relegation battle in the 22/23 season? and yet we currently find ourselves 4 points behind City!

SAF is the GOAT

I see some delusional Arsenal fans comparing him to Thomas Partey.

Can someone please say to these prats that Partey cant lace Casemiro's boots

arthurka

He is fantastic but he has played 15 games for the club give the Keane comparison a rest. Prime Keane was like nothing else.

KeanoMagicHat

Casemiro isn’t the midfield equivalent of RVP either, he’s one of the most decorated midfielders to ever play the game.
True but so was Schweinsteiger, decorated doesn't necessarily mean current ability. Anyway I've been a very pro-Casemiro poster, I kept saying he would transform United's season when he signed to sceptics because he was that good, so I'm not arguing against how good he is. Just that Keane was phenomenal. It would be close between them. Keane won a lot too. Stick Keane in with Kroos and Modric, Ramos behind him and Ronaldo and Benzema in attack and he might have won 4-5 CLs too.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
But Casemiro was coming into a team at a much lower starting point.

Cantona came into a team that finished 2nd the season before, Casemiro was coming into a team that scraped 6th.

After the Brentford game there was even someone who started a thread The elephant in the room….. could this club face a relegation battle in the 22/23 season? and yet we currently find ourselves 4 points behind City!
Cantona was coming in to a team that hadn't won the title in more than 20 years and were pretty shell-shocked at screwing it up the season before and helped make them champions

Casemiro hasn't guided the team to any success yet, I'm sure he will but until he does you can't compare him to previous greats for United

Status
Not open for further replies.