g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
 Casemiro image 18

Casemiro Brazil flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

lex talionis

He's starting every game, two games most weeks. He can't do it. He needs to start once a week maximum throughout the season. Consider playing him twice a week sparingly when there are crucial back to back games. I won't write him as over the hill unless it's clear he can't handle playing once a week.

Older players simply need more rest.
My view exactly, so I won't repeat what you've just written.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Is he purposely being used as a box to box midfielder? Because that is what he seems to be currently, which exposes all his flaws.
That’s how he played at Santos. It looks to me like he’s taking the opportunity to finish his career with the shackles of, to play with more personality. He played with exceptional discipline for years and that took him to the top of the hill. Now he’s going downhill, he’s doing it with a sense of abandon.

Prodigy24

Lost my mind when he gave the ball away and tried to win it back by flying in with a tackle, you just knew that they would somehow score from that.

But he's been doing that too often this season, and looks like he couldn't bother to track back and mark players. Not sure what has happened to him but I really hope he finds his form soon. Was excellent in a vital period last season and I refuse to believe that he's regressed this much over a couple of months.

UpWithRivers

Why are people going on about his age like you are done for at 31. Plenty of players in their 30's doing just fine and don't need to be wrapped in cotton wool. Jorginho, De Bruyne, Van Dijk, Pascal Gross, Milner, Lallana, Trippier for example.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Im not buying it, he’s still plenty good enough and I bet if he’d joined a Bayern when he left Madrid, he’d still be going strong until his mid-30’s.

Malone_Post

He’s been an absolute liability since about February. Glad Erik finally had the balls to sub him. Why he thinks he can just jog around the pitch at his own pace, constantly giving the ball away, throwing himself into tackles, not tracking runners and generally just doing whatever he likes is a mystery. Even more of a mystery is why the fans love him so much. He blatantly just disregards his duties as a defensive midfielder because he can’t be assed, or thinks he’s better then he is. Or a combination of both. Either way, he leaves the defence without any sort of protection because he’s too busy trying tricks and flicks that he obviously wasn’t allowed to do at Madrid. He’s treating this club like a pre-retirement kick about.

Ah well, just another two and a half years left to run on that £375k a week contact. Fantastic.

RedorDead21

He’s been an absolute liability since about February. Glad Erik finally had the balls to sub him. Why he thinks he can just jog around the pitch at his own pace, constantly giving the ball away, throwing himself into tackles, not tracking runners and generally just doing whatever he likes is a mystery. Even more of a mystery is why the fans love him so much. He blatantly just disregards his duties as a defensive midfielder because he can’t be assed, or thinks he’s better then he is. Or a combination of both. Either way, he leaves the defence without any sort of protection because he’s too busy trying tricks and flicks that he obviously wasn’t allowed to do at Madrid. He’s treating this club like a pre-retirement kick about.

Ah well, just another two and a half years left to run on that £375k a week contact. Fantastic.
Generally subbing him is not really an option though is it as we don’t have any midfield as 1st choice so second choice is a no no. That goes for all our problems due to injuries.

The Oracle

A misplaced pass can happen at any time, and by anyone, unfortunately it happened to Casemiro which only adds to the belief that he has become somewhat of a liability for us this season , especially when you also factor in his pointless slide tackles that never get near the ball but always runs the risk of him taking out a player and getting sent off; add to that him playing two games per week as well as his International duty means that we aren't seeing the best version of him, which given the stage of his career - the tail end, his game time really does need to be managed.

When his game time does get managed (if it does) then that will be the correct time to assess his value to the team, which in fairness to him he is doing alright, but we are not seeing the best of him, because in my opinion he is overplayed.

However, going back to his misplaced pass that ultimately led to Brentford scoring, that was not actually the biggest disappointment I had with Casemiro today...

...the biggest disappointment I had with Casemiro today was him being abject at the final whistle.
He walked towards the Stretford End and down the tunnel without even acknowledging the fans.

Very disappointed. We are a team after all.

...or are we just a collection of self-serving individuals?

Dve

He's starting every game, two games most weeks. He can't do it. He needs to start once a week maximum throughout the season. Consider playing him twice a week sparingly when there are crucial back to back games. I won't write him as over the hill unless it's clear he can't handle playing once a week.

On the other hand, he didn't have much of a preseason, so when he was starting in the Carabao cup, I took it as a sign that he wanted more game time to play himself into form after having looked unfit the first matches this season. He had 3 good games in a row (the cup match included), so I kind of expected him to kick on from then on. Instead, he's gone on to play his worst matches for United. A bit surprising, I must say.

Eric_the_Red99

Why are people going on about his age like you are done for at 31. Plenty of players in their 30's doing just fine and don't need to be wrapped in cotton wool. Jorginho, De Bruyne, Van Dijk, Pascal Gross, Milner, Lallana, Trippier for example.
Yeah, but longevity is usually due to a combination of good genetics, and/or sheer willpower to keep in tip top physical condition (which I know from personal experience gets harder and harder after the age of 30) - and sadly Casemiro doesn’t seem to have either.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

As angry as I am with him this is probably the truth, what I will say is that I think he needs to earn his position back, he's not an automatic starter for me any longer.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't think he's finished or at his decline cliff or something. I think he's just woefully out of form and making bad decisions. Not the only one obviously, but he plays in a position where it kills us when he fecks up. The system is asking him to do far too much on the ball in deep areas and cover far too much space first of all. He'll improve as will the rest when we settle, but sometime on the bench in the next take wouldn't be a bad idea.

Dve

On a note, it's a bit funny that Fred and McTominay were called McFred because they were seen as two players in one, i.e. they were two players doing the job of one. When Casemiro is struggling, the same people (Goldbridge more than anyone) come to his defence by saying he cannot possibly do the job alone. Ok.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
My general opinion all season has been that the criticism of his performances have been hugely exaggerated, and also often down to terrible tactics leaving him in midfield alone - however, today was comfortably the worst I’ve seen. Shocking stuff.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
You can clearly see he isn’t quick enough. Shouldn’t be playing simple as that.

Trondivan

Class player - in his time.

Came here for the money, and of course we paid up. Silly. Just a vaste.

The tempo in PL is killing him. He is way to slow and sluggish. He is a liability and should be sold asap. Still love him, super lad, but sadly, not good enough.

redshaw

Would be interesting know what's happened with him , he was really pumped last season then after the two red cards he's not been the same, like he lost his heart in the task and maybe how difficult it is to play and succeed for United. I thought a new season he'd be back up and running after a while but he looks quite demoralized still and down after a good comeback, maybe wants the Saudi money or a better situation. You wouldn't have thought that by listening to him before he came and seeing him during most of last season.

The sad thing about those red cards I felt he was stitched up, VAR ref selected a freeze frame making it look like he's throttling a player when he was just joking and holding the collar and more damning a Palace player raises his hands to our player's face in that scuffle and nothing is given. The next looks more like a yellow, the ref gave a yellow but again the VAR ref decide to select an angle and slow it down helping the ref pull a red card.

We had such a good run before the nonsense freeze frame, getting close to City and Arsenal even then it's in tatters. I just think in his heart he knows we'll never get back that momentum and we're playing for top 6 with how poor functioning the club is. We paid a big fee and wages but if he wants out and be off to Saudi then feck him off.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I have a friend who is a really good football player. Problem is, if his team isn't very good, he tries to do too much and often ends up being the worst player on the field. But when he is on a good team and surrounded by players who he sees is his equal or better, he is fantastic. I'm seeing Casemiro as a player with this same problem right now. He is a DM but he is trying to be a play maker and goal scorer as well. It almost seems as if he doesn't think the players around him are good enough, so he is trying to do too much. He needs to just play his position and have trust in the players around him and then he will be the world class CDM that we all know and love...

RedStarUnited

I will start by saying yes he fecked up. But, Maguire shouldnt have passed him the ball there.

We recreate this situation a lot. You will see a cluster of players together and the person on the ball rather than look for a way out of that cluster, they make a pass right into it. Contrast this to how teams play us, they always look to escape our cluster and find the free man.

Maguire either goes to Dalot or tries a pass to Rashford through the lines.

by the time Casemiro has it he is in trouble.

FerociousCorgis

I will start by saying yes he fecked up. But, Maguire shouldnt have passed him the ball there.

We recreate this situation a lot. You will see a cluster of players together and the person on the ball rather than look for a way out of that cluster, they make a pass right into it. Contrast this to how teams play us, they always look to escape our cluster and find the free man.

Holy hell no he is not in trouble. That is an easy as feck pass any player of his supposed caliber should be able to make easy. He has been trash this year, save for his random goals.

garelo

Case and Rashford need to be dropped from starting line up, let's not go overboard here some players might have lose their performance for one reason or another, it's happened to everyone even under Fergie, it's normal, just some time away from spotlight will do them good, hopefully.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Nothing against the people saying it, but I hate the opinion that he was worth the transfer because he helped us get top 4. Do people not see the loop we're in with this mindset as a club?

Short term signing to get into Europe, promptly underwhelm in Europe because we took the short route instead of building for the long term, fail to finish top 4, more big signings made based off reputation rather than their general play, rinse and repeat.

Signings like him and Eriksen are never the right option. We need young, press resistant players, and if that means missing out on champions league footy because of the time it takes to build said team, so be it. It's exactly what Arsenal have done and now they look like they're going to be consistently competing at the top domestically for the foreseeable whilst also playing entertaining stuff.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He has massively declined over the last year. And it shouldn’t come as a big surprise. Generally it’s the midfielders with immense technical quality and football intelligence that age like fine wine. Those that rely so much on reaction time and physicality as part an overall defensive skillset tend not to. And there in lies another problem - we don’t have players who can lead us during the buildup phase and all this time we’ve been relying on Casemiro as the focal point for it who has prior to this been carried in this regard by Modric and Kroos. He’s simply not got the quality for it. He’s the guy who plays a sideways pass and let’s others run the show.

Strelok

Nah it's perfectly ok for Maguire to pass him the ball there. For once Maguire went vertical instead of sideway and people saying he should not.

If you watch other teams play CB pass vertically to DM/CM a lot in order to accelerate the building. Casemiro was not marked. He just fecked up that's all.

GoldanoGraham

He’s had a dip if form and because of his high standards last season it’s magnified.

A lot of players around him are also out of form - he is the type of personality to knuckle down and come through it.

Over reaction here as usual.

Keanes Magic Hat

He has massively declined over the last year. And it shouldn’t come as a big surprise. Generally it’s the midfielders with immense technical quality and football intelligence that age like fine wine. Those that rely so much on reaction time and physicality as part an overall defensive skillset tend not to. And there in lies another problem - we don’t have players who can lead us during the buildup phase and all this time we’ve been relying on Casemiro as the focal point for it who has prior to this been carried in this regard by Modric and Kroos. He’s simply not got the quality for it. He’s the guy who plays a sideways pass and let’s others run the show.
Decline over last year is excessive, he was man of the match in the cup final end of Feb, voted player of the match in other matches in May and was pulling the strings admittedly against a poor CP team in the cup a couple of weeks ago.

He's lacking confidence like all of the team. With a settled defence and some confidence in the team we will see him back.

I have no problems with him hoeing dropped though given current blip in form.

Mickson

He’s had a dip if form and because of his high standards last season it’s magnified.

A lot of players around him are also out of form - he is the type of personality to knuckle down and come through it.

Dip in form for eight months? A classic CAF argument.

Lee565

Im not buying it, he’s still plenty good enough and I bet if he’d joined a Bayern when he left Madrid, he’d still be going strong until his mid-30’s.
Provably but that is less demanding league and would have the luxury of being at the top side in league, at united in the premier, its a different ball game, this is the issue we face when buying players like him, Di maria and varane etc.. from consistent trophy winning clubs, to go from winning trophies so often with well drilled sides and then have be part of united team that aren't challenging for major honours and barely scraping a top 4 spot, it probably effects their commitment to the club in terms of being at the same level they use to be.

next_number_seven

Last season he scored important goals which masked his overall performance.

His passing was sloppy last season and he dives in a lot. Great if it works but if it doesn't it's a huge error.

chris123

Eh, I totally disagree this is the exact sort of passes we should be making. If Casemiro is able to complete that very simple 5-yard pass, two passes have taken three players out of the game and completely broken down Brentfords press. That's the way we should be looking to start our attacks.

Idxomer

Of course, there's no problem with him getting that ball in that position. He lazily misplaced a simple pass and naturally went lunging into tackle right after taking himself out of the game.

It's unacceptable for someone who has played at the highest level for so long to consistently make this type of mistake.

chocolate cloud

Put him on the bench for a while. Play Fernandes at CM beside Amrabat. Play mount at CAM in between martial and Garnacho.

stoinz

Lest not forget he was player of the month in September. He is still good enough if we use him sparingly. He can't be starting 2-3 games a week.

sugar_kane

Lest not forget he was player of the month in September. He is still good enough if we use him sparingly. He can't be starting 2-3 games a week.
We lost 4 games out of 6 in September so not sure if that counts for much…

Honestly I can’t tell if it’s application or a decline, maybe a bit of both.

Either way I don’t see what he is adding at the moment (beyond goals but that isn’t sustainabable) If anything is being in the 11 is a detriment and counter to the style of football we want to play.

If he can sort himself out fast and Amrabat alongside him solves our midfield issue then maybe it’s worth persisting, but given his age we need to start finding a replacement quickly anyway.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He has a bad habit of going to the ground while stretching into a tackle.
Firstly he should stay on his feet and secondly referees will normally see this as a booking.

Thiagoal

Nah it's perfectly ok for Maguire to pass him the ball there. For once Maguire went vertical instead of sideway and people saying he should not.

If you watch other teams play CB pass vertically to DM/CM a lot in order to accelerate the building. Casemiro was not marked. He just fecked up that's all.
I agree! Top teams that play out from the back have a DM who can receive the ball under pressure and manoeuvre themselves to create space and start an attack. This is what we are really missing. At Madrid the defenders would pass to Modric or Kroos- Casemiro does that have the skill set to do this! Will be interesting to see Mainoo play next to him and take that responsibility off him.

Varun

Staff
More than sparingly, we need to use him correctly.

Have no idea why he's been morphed into a roaming midfielder. When we have the ball, he spends most of his time ahead of the actual attacking mids close to the box. Neither involved in build up nor in a position to help out defensively if we lose the ball. Given his age, he doesn't even manage to recover in time. That's why we look so stupidly exposed every time we lose the ball. We have to beat 2 banks of 4 to get close to the opposition box, opponents just have acres of space to run in to and have a go at our CBs. It's comical and insane.

Just play him as the holding mid that he is and help the team.