Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AneRu

Excellent post.

It's great to know that Elliott actually know much more than the Glazers and SJR on running a football club. This is the only positive for their take over. But their ultimate aim is still making money and sell the club. No one can predict what will happen. These strategies could go very wrong or right no one knows. This makes them second favorite after Jassim's proposal.

Jassim's proposal includes investment in the squad and infrastructure with zero debts to the club. This is the much better way and risk free way for the club. Jassim also looks for long term investment which provide stability to the club. They are also known to invest in community projects and etc.

One way or another, hope this get resolved quickly for the team to get ready for next season. This is most important for the club.
The only way Elliot will get any control from the Glazers, given that they don't want to buy the club outright, would be through trapping Joel and Avram by funding their intended buyout of their siblings and then putting up tough repayment conditions on the two. Given that the two holding out for staying are reportedly prepared to walk away from £5b you have to wonder what sort of antics those two will pull out when Elliot come calling, if they get their way.

From the way they handled Milan, they muscled in on an underresourced owner, cleared the mess and sold the club off whilst it was on top. The challenge with United is that it doesnt suit their M.O because you will need to be in for at least a decade or more - after the considering the time and effort it would take to boot the Glazers out, getting systems right, getting the squad right and building a new stadium or renovating Old Trafford.

After all that you start considering an exit strategy, United at a +£5b valuation hasn't attracted enough buyers to guarantee a big payday and you have to wonder whether it will ever attract buyers at a significantly higher valuation than this. In my view, this is the highest we could ever sell for because the interest at these stratospheric valuations simply isn't there from the usual suspects.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
What do we make of this news?

We are sure there will be redevelopment but we don't know the dates.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Still want the full sale whatever positive posts there might be about Elliott as not buying it
It's not all positive, far from it. Elliott would want to run a tight ship and are ruthless. That will put them in collision course with the fans most of whom are pretty sensitive. Can you imagine a season when they let Rashford and Sancho because they are asking/paid silly money while also firing phelan and Fletcher? Cause that will happen if they don't get what they perceive as value out of them.

All I am saying is that they aren't as horrible as they are being portrayed and might be a better option then ineos who seem to have no clue on how a football club operates

AneRu

It's not all positive, far from it. Elliott would want to run a tight ship and are ruthless. That will put them in collision course with the fans most of whom are pretty sensitive. Can you imagine a season when they let Rashford and Sancho because they are asking/paid silly money while also firing phelan and Fletcher? Cause that will happen if they don't get what they perceive as value out of them.

All I am saying is that they aren't as horrible as they are being portrayed and might be a better option then ineos who seem to have no clue on how a football club operates
The issue we have as United is that we wasted so much time and so much money on terrible signings that we now need a lot of money for the squad and infrastructure to remain competitive and maintain our status which is directly linked to our value.

Assuming that Elliot come in as a minority investor I am sure they will demand a disproportionate say on how the money they invest will be used. I don't think even Avram and Joel are foolish enough to consider debt financing to get rid of the other four as that wont solve the teeming issues within the club. If they are able to get that concession from the Glazers then fine, the changes they are likely to bring are what we, the fans, would also want - more competent decision makers, signing younger players instead of washed up stars and infrastructure development.

Getting the Glazers to agree to all that and ensuring that the club remains competitive whilst undergoing major infrastructural development will be key. It will be interesting to see what will happen but I doubt that the Glazers can be trusted to finally stop fecking up things.

devilish

The issue we have as United is that we wasted so much time and so much money on terrible signings that we now need a lot of money for the squad and infrastructure to remain competitive and maintain our status which is directly linked to our value.

Assuming that Elliot come in as a minority investor I am sure they will demand a disproportionate say on how the money they invest will be used. I don't think even Avram and Joel are foolish enough to consider debt financing to get rid of the other four as that wont solve the teeming issues within the club. If they are able to get that concession from the Glazers then fine, the changes they are likely to bring are what we, the fans, would also want - more competent decision makers, signing younger players instead of washed up stars and infrastructure development.

Getting the Glazers to agree to all that and ensuring that the club remains competitive whilst undergoing major infrastructural development will be key. It will be interesting to see what will happen but I doubt that the Glazers can be trusted to finally stop fecking up things.
The Glazers made 2 key mistakes

a- they bought a business despite lacking the money to do so. That meant that they saddled the business with a mountain of debt which in turn lead to them appointing a CEO who while being good in generating money/balancing the debt was hopeless in anything football related

b- they had neither the knowledge nor the will to learn how the business work. The first part is self explanatory but the second part is often ignored. We're talking about owners who couldn't be bothered locating in the city were their major asset resided. That meant that the club was managed in a sluggish way were incompetent people were allowed to get away with almost anything without the owners even noticing up until it was too late.

Manchester United of the time could have tanked one of them. It could have done well with 'poor' but competent owners or with incompetent but insanely rich ones. However the two things put together was a killer. Which is why I am scared about INEOS. They can't compete with the oil rich countries and they seem to have no clue on how to run a football club

Now back to the sale. Whoever buy United will do his outmost to buy it to its entirety. That's because it makes zero sense to invest 1-2B in United's infrastructure only for others to share the benefits of it.

a-Jassim will probably but the shares outright.
b- Ratcliffe might postpone heavy investment up until he'll get his hands on all the shares.
c- Elliott will probably add a clause were the Glazers will be selling them the entirety of the club in let say 3 years time and for X amount. Alternatively they will burden the Glazers with a mountain of small print that will force them to either pump huge amount of money into the club or else sell/relinquish their stake to Elliott.

Elliott management will adopt a similar approach to what Martin Edwards had. The man was a snake but he was very business oriented. Thus they will

A- will invest heavily in infrastructure
B- reduce debt and cost (staff that are not carrying their weight, players on huge salaries etc)
C- They will buy players with a huge ROI (specifically young players)

Some think that this is a positive post in favour of Elliott group. I disagree (its meant to be neutral). Elliott has zero loyalty towards us.They will 'sort the mess' and then sell for a neat profit. On top of that they will probably show zero loyalty to anyone who doesn't bring value. If Rashford ask for 500k then he'll be sold. Sancho, Maguire and co will be sold (if not then heads will roll), they will listen to offers for the likes of Casemiro, DDG and Varane + forget them spending big money on Kane.

fallengt

What do we make of this news?

We are sure there will be redevelopment but we don't know the dates.

Read like an excuse that Old Trafford is now an outdated stadium and cant host european game to me.

AneRu

a- they bought a business despite lacking the money to do so. That meant that they saddled the business with a mountain of debt which in turn lead to them appointing a CEO who while being good in generating money/balancing the debt was hopeless in anything football related

b- they had neither the knowledge nor the will to learn how the business work. The first part is self explanatory but the second part is often ignored. We're talking about owners who couldn't be bothered locating in the city were their major asset resided. That meant that the club was managed in a sluggish way were incompetent people were allowed to get away with almost anything without the owners even noticing up until it was too late.

Manchester United of the time could have tanked one of them. It could have done well with 'poor' but competent owners or with incompetent but insanely rich ones. However the two things put together was a killer. Which is why I am scared about INEOS. They can't compete with the oil rich countries and they seem to have no clue on how to run a football club

Now back to the sale. Whoever buy United will do his outmost to buy it to its entirety. That's because it makes zero sense to invest 1-2B in United's infrastructure only for others to share the benefits of it.

b- Ratcliffe might postpone heavy investment up until he'll get his hands on all the shares.
c- Elliott will probably add a clause were the Glazers will be selling them the entirety of the club in let say 3 years time and for X amount. Alternatively they will burden the Glazers with a mountain of small print that will force them to either pump huge amount of money into the club or else sell/relinquish their stake to Elliott.

Elliott management will adopt a similar approach to what Martin Edwards had. The man was a snake but he was very business oriented. Thus they will

B- reduce debt and cost (staff that are not carrying their weight, players on huge salaries etc)

Some think that this is a positive post in favour of Elliott group. I disagree (its meant to be neutral). Elliott has zero loyalty towards us.They will 'sort the mess' and then sell for a neat profit. On top of that they will probably show zero loyalty to anyone who doesn't bring value. If Rashford ask for 500k then he'll be sold. Sancho, Maguire and co will be sold (if not then heads will roll), they will listen to offers for the likes of Casemiro, DDG and Varane + forget them spending big money on Kane.
Reducing the wage bill will be top on the agenda of most new owners/investors. That could lead to a lean period for a few years as the adjustment is made, which could be difficult to come back from given how other clubs are investing. But when you look at Maguire, Sancho and co you would rather see them offloaded than continue being a burden on the wage bill.

What I am most interested in is how they would wrestle control from the Glazers because lets face it, if someone comes in and invests in the stadium then the leaches wont be going anywhere in the medium term.

Whats also difficult to see is the Glazers selling off their stake and investing the proceeds into the club. Obviously Elliot or any minority bidder will demand that a substantial portion of their investment be used on the club on things like the stadium and squad. If they were to do this that would be the first time they ever put their own money into the club, very uncharacteristic of them and unlikely given that four want out.

I dont think then club necessarily needs benovelent owners even though that would be desirable, a ruthless but competent owner will do finely because this Glazer model hasn't really worked. Arsenal made some painful adjustments over the past three or four years and now look set to reap the benefits.

devilish

Reducing the wage bill will be top on the agenda of most new owners/investors. That could lead to a lean period for a few years as the adjustment is made, which could be difficult to come back from given how other clubs are investing. But when you look at Maguire, Sancho and co you would rather see them offloaded than continue being a burden on the wage bill.

What I am most interested in is how they would wrestle control from the Glazers because lets face it, if someone comes in and invests in the stadium then the leaches wont be going anywhere in the medium term.

Whats also difficult to see is the Glazers selling off their stake and investing the proceeds into the club. Obviously Elliot or any minority bidder will demand that a substantial portion of their investment be used on the club on things like the stadium and squad. If they were to do this that would be the first time they ever put their own money into the club, very uncharacteristic of them and unlikely given that four want out.

I dont think then club necessarily needs benovelent owners even though that would be desirable, a ruthless but competent owner will do finely because this Glazer model hasn't really worked. Arsenal made some painful adjustments over the past three or four years and now look set to reap the benefits.
From what I read avram and Joel has the least amount of shares. Which might be causing trouble as they will end off poorer than the other sewer rats. The Elliott group bids only advantage is that they can buy the club in chunks. That means that they can buy the other 4 siblings now and then buy the rest on a possibly higher fee if United’s price go up. That would keep everyone happy on paper. However as they say, the devil is in the details and Elliott can teach a thing or two to Satan himself. Thus if I was Avram/Joel I would push for a deal with Jassim/SJR now (possibly the former of he can provide access to Qatar). We are heading to a recession and in a recession cash is king. Thus the 5.25b-5.5b might be worth more now then when interest rates was negligible

Telsim

Elliott ruthlessness is legendary. They were one of the very few to go toe to toe against an entire nation and win. Elliott's aggressiveness is at par to their brilliance in making money. Which is why talks of asset stripping United doesn't make sense at all. Manchester United is basically a brand name. Its name is worth far more then its assets. Strategies such as selling OT or not investing on the squad would hurt that big time. Which is why they did their very best at AC Milan to build a stadium something they failed in because no one, not even Elliott, can beat Italian bureaucracy

I'd expect that the Elliott's time with United will be divided in three Phases

Phase 1 - they will wrestle control over Manchester United. Elliott are obsessed with a lean and effective style of management. There's no way that Elliott will invest huge amounts of money in the club without having in place a well structured system in place which would see them making huge profits at a short period of time. Which of course is the exact opposite of what the Glazers are. Thus I believe that they will only invest money in the club if

a- the Glazers agree to a plan which will see them leave the club in 1-2 years time (ie by selling to Elliott)
b- the Glazers would relinquish control over Manchester United and would agree to invest as much money into the club as Elliott do.

Both agreements will be buried with so much small print that the Glazers will end up regretting such deal.

Phase 2 - maximising United's potential as quickly as possible but in a sustainable way. That would probably be achieved

a- sacking the people on top and bringing people who are in line to their mentality. At Milan they brought Gazidis, Maldini and Massara. Gazidis has ample experience in managing a club on a budget having managed Arsenal at a time when they building their stadium. Massara is a seasoned sporting director having worked his way from Palermo to Roma and then Milan. While Maldini's experience with Milan is unique. He's a second generation legend at the club (the Maldinis had involved since the 50s) with his son also playing with AC Milan. On top of that he was turned into a bit of an outcast by the Berlusconi admin as he was no yes man. Someone like him know exactly what is going on in AC Milan youth academy (ie one of the finest in Italy) something the other two do not. All of them has one thing in common. They believe in a club that is sustainable and they can make each euro count. If Elliott join us then I can see them bringing Gazidis in as CEO, Overmars/Rangnick/Mitchell as DOF and a possible return of Nicky Butt as technical director

b- get rid of high earners who are not delivering the goods. That means Sancho, Maguire, DDG and Martial would go with the likes of VDB and Fred following suit

c- United will invest heavily on kids. ETH will be expected to promote the likes of Pellistri and Diallo, Greenwood would return in the squad and they will buy a number of players who have a high ROI

d- they will invest in the stadium.

e- they will back a European super league

Phase 3 - selling the club

Once the club finances are in order and United's path to success is paved then I see Elliott trying to sell United. They will be less desperate to sell then the Glazers are and they might even entertain a structured fee (ex fee + majority stake in Newcastle/PSG) which in turn would free Saudi/Qatar to buy United.
Good post. I suppose it's about time we start looking for the silver linings of an Elliot ownership, and if there are any. They seem to be well poised to win the process at this point. In fact, I believe the talks are well underway. I find solace in that they will also feck over the disgusting leeches in the fine print, and could probably oust them in due time. Elliot aren't the type to run a football club long term, which will see them sell down the line. I just wonder who will be left to buy it by that point?

Señor Sloppy

Elliott ruthlessness is legendary. They were one of the very few to go toe to toe against an entire nation and win. Elliott's aggressiveness is at par to their brilliance in making money. Which is why talks of asset stripping United doesn't make sense at all. Manchester United is basically a brand name. Its name is worth far more then its assets. Strategies such as selling OT or not investing on the squad would hurt that big time. Which is why they did their very best at AC Milan to build a stadium something they failed in because no one, not even Elliott, can beat Italian bureaucracy

Phase 1 - they will wrestle control over Manchester United. Elliott are obsessed with a lean and effective style of management. There's no way that Elliott will invest huge amounts of money in the club without having in place a well structured system in place which would see them making huge profits at a short period of time. Which of course is the exact opposite of what the Glazers are. Thus I believe that they will only invest money in the club if

a- the Glazers agree to a plan which will see them leave the club in 1-2 years time (ie by selling to Elliott)
b- the Glazers would relinquish control over Manchester United and would agree to invest as much money into the club as Elliott do.

Both agreements will be buried with so much small print that the Glazers will end up regretting such deal.

Phase 2 - maximising United's potential as quickly as possible but in a sustainable way. That would probably be achieved

a- sacking the people on top and bringing people who are in line to their mentality. At Milan they brought Gazidis, Maldini and Massara. Gazidis has ample experience in managing a club on a budget having managed Arsenal at a time when they building their stadium. Massara is a seasoned sporting director having worked his way from Palermo to Roma and then Milan. While Maldini's experience with Milan is unique. He's a second generation legend at the club (the Maldinis had involved since the 50s) with his son also playing with AC Milan. On top of that he was turned into a bit of an outcast by the Berlusconi admin as he was no yes man. Someone like him know exactly what is going on in AC Milan youth academy (ie one of the finest in Italy) something the other two do not. All of them has one thing in common. They believe in a club that is sustainable and they can make each euro count. If Elliott join us then I can see them bringing Gazidis in as CEO, Overmars/Rangnick/Mitchell as DOF and a possible return of Nicky Butt as technical director

b- get rid of high earners who are not delivering the goods. That means Sancho, Maguire, DDG and Martial would go with the likes of VDB and Fred following suit

c- United will invest heavily on kids. ETH will be expected to promote the likes of Pellistri and Diallo, Greenwood would return in the squad and they will buy a number of players who have a high ROI

Once the club finances are in order and United's path to success is paved then I see Elliott trying to sell United. They will be less desperate to sell then the Glazers are and they might even entertain a structured fee (ex fee + majority stake in Newcastle/PSG) which in turn would free Saudi/Qatar to buy United.
You're taking for granted that Elliott will retread their AC Milan route.

That particular route was only trodden as Plan B, because their Plan A - to reap the returns of their exorbitant loan to Li - failed when Li couldn't make his repayments to schedule.

Most likely is that Elliott's involvement with Manchester United will simply amount to even more crippling debt for the club to shoulder. Elliott may have a small amount of input into how the club is run, but it's very unlikely they'll take over the reigns completely as they did at AC Milan.

devilish

You're taking for granted that Elliott will retread their AC Milan route.

That particular route was only trodden as Plan B, because their Plan A - to reap the returns of their exorbitant loan to Li - failed when Li couldn't make his repayments to schedule.

Most likely is that Elliott's involvement with Manchester United will simply amount to even more crippling debt for the club to shoulder. Elliott may have a small amount of input into how the club is run, but it's very unlikely they'll take over the reigns completely as they did at AC Milan.
The club is at its last wheels. We are losing money. Further debt on higher interest rate will cripple us and therefore the Glazers hold on United further. In such circumstances its quite evident that either the Glazers will have to sell quickly or the club's expenses will spiral out of control. Let us not forget that at the beginning Elliott was thought not to be keen to go in bed with the Glazers and would have preferred investing with someone else instead. So what changed their mind? Could their bid include an exit clause for the Glazers?

Last edited:

croadyman

Yeah the last paragraph of that makes me want them to stay as far away from the club as possible

MF1138

All the pros for Elliott making a deal with the Glazers look like cons for the Glazers. I think Elliott are only their last resort in the event that Jassim or Ineos aren't offering enough. Having Elliott around also makes them look less like they have to sell... but a deal with them would be a big risk and I only see it happening if the rest are offering way below asking price.

croadyman

Keep hoping Jassim/Ratcliffe will offer around £5.5bn. Come on you leeches surely that is close enough to £6bn. Not heard anything more about NFL hosting a game in Qatar from the usual sources, so guess there was nothing in that story.

Yakuza_devils

The Glazers are so lucky to inherit Man Utd worth billions from their Dad. Man Utd makes them super rich with zero efforts put in from the Glazers. They live happily in Florida and can't be bothered what happened to Man Utd during their ownership.

I would have thought that they will look into repaying the club's fans by selling to a buyer which will be good for Man Utd in long term while also making some good money.

As thing stands, they will sell to whoever pay the most and don't give a feck what happened to Man Utd. How much money is enough for the Glazers?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I would have thought that they will look into repaying the club's fans by selling to a buyer which will be good for Man Utd in long term while also making some good money.

As thing stands, they will sell to whoever pay the most and don't give a feck what happened to Man Utd. How much money is enough for the Glazers?
You aren't a paid-up member of the Salford Socialist Party, are you? Otherwise, I hardly think those are considerations any billionaire would think of unless they are on their deathbed.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Re bolded part. Surely if it was as simple as that, all clubs would be doing it?

devilish

Re bolded part. Surely if it was as simple as that, all clubs would be doing it?
It's not simple at all. Take Casemiro or when RVP was signed for example. Their signings elevated the team to the next level. However its possible to avoid such cheat codes if the team plan correctly and the mentality is stuck firmly that this is a business first and a football club second. Sir Alex rarely signed 29-30 year olds for significant money.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
There was a photo of the overflooding toilets in OT making its rounds on social media which to me symbolises the Glazer ownership really succinctly.

Alonzo

My ideal scenario is now:
glazers sell minority stake to Elliot.
In the medium term, glazers breach clauses
Elliot assumes full control
Glazers get completely fecked
Elliot steadies ship
Sells United at a profit

yes, it’s not putting the short term interests of the club at the forefront,and it’s petty, but i don’t care. The thought of that family being financially ruined (relatively, of course. But it would be seriously damaging to all of the rats) is too good to pass up.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Elliot steadies ship
Sells United at a profit

yes, it’s not putting the short term interests of the club at the forefront,and it’s petty, but i don’t care. The thought of that family being financially ruined (relatively, of course. But it would be seriously damaging to all of the rats) is too good to pass up.
Are you a Liverpool fan?

Thiagoal

Elliot steadies ship
Sells United at a profit

Ever heard the phrase ‘cutting off your nose to spite your face?’

Tarrou

Elliot steadies ship
Sells United at a profit

ideal :lol: :lol:

Roboc7

I just can’t see Eliott spending all that time and money when they’ll be struggling to make much of a profit at the end of it.

The Glazers seem to be struggling to get anyone above about 5bn and the two interested parties are not solely interested in making money like Eliott would be.

Buying Utd, sorting out the debt and investing in stadium is 8bn or more and club probably still needs further development investment in training ground etc. Hard to see where the profit is even if hold onto club for a long period of time.

I’m loving my life

Elliot steadies ship
Sells United at a profit

Masochism? I’ve seen it all now

devilish

I just can’t see Eliott spending all that time and money when they’ll be struggling to make much of a profit at the end of it.

The Glazers seem to be struggling to get anyone above about 5bn and the two interested parties are not solely interested in making money like Eliott would be.

Buying Utd, sorting out the debt and investing in stadium is 8bn or more and club probably still needs further development investment in training ground etc. Hard to see where the profit is even if hold onto club for a long period of time.
The Elliott group stayed with Milan for 4 years and would have probably stayed more if the Italian government gave them the nod to build a stadium. However yes, they will be on the look out to leave if the right price is met. We would have a similar situation to what we had with Edwards who allowed ample investment into the club but was always searching for a way out.

AneRu

Plus the fact that ousting the Glazers could take years, tge club is not just going to fail to meet repayment terms and the Glazers aren't that idiotic to risk losing the club for nothing having walked away from 5b. Unless Elliot are just content to park a couple of billion in United for a decade gambling on valuation growth, angling for a bigger sale down the line I don't see it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
At this point I just want the Glazers and these Elliot clowns to bugger off

Big Ray

From all I’ve heard, I think the Qataris are going to finish the deal. That’s what my guts telling me anyway

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Elliot steadies ship
Sells United at a profit

All while we go bankrupt, relegated so the proper fans can build ip the club again

Alonzo

Masochism? I’ve seen it all now
Haha. I mean, not really - in that scenario, i said ‘medium term’ being a season or two, and Elliot come in and don’t asset strip, steady the ship, and then sell, probably for around the same price as being floated now, maybe less. It wouldn’t matter, they would’ve put far less in so would still be making a killing. In that specific context, I’d take a year or two delay on being in this spot, if it meant the rats get fecked. Payback for 18 years.The thought of them being so well rewarded for their negligence and incompetence sickens me

a lot has to go right for this, but i did say ‘ideal’ , not realistic, and definitely not likely.

failing that, SJR all day. I do not want state ownership.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Elliot steadies ship
Sells United at a profit

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Let me see; I think I shall murder someone because I enjoy having sex with cuffs on.

That sounds like a good solution.

Alonzo

yea, ideal. It would put us in the same spot we are now, just in a year or two, with the parasites having blown their chance to exploi us on exit. ‘Ideal’ also includes no lasting damage to the club (hence “steady the ship”), basically what they did at AC Milan, and then an exit strategy. If thisminority sale happened, i would expect SJR to be interested again in a couple years. Not sure if you just deliberately applied your narrative to a set of words that didn’t have that narrative inherent in them, or you just can’t read.

it would basically put us 2 years back, and end up in the same spot, just with the glazers not getting their£6b

Status
Not open for further replies.