Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infra-red

Judging by the architecture its not Qatar and apparently its Mercedes too
Mercedes F1 = Ineos.

Ineos are the principal partners of Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 and also own a third of it (Mercedes also own one third of the team, as does Toto Wolff).

stevoc

Surely it has to be good news for Qatar? If the 11th hour bid wasn’t sufficient then I can’t see why it hasn’t been dismissed by now. It was already an age between the last bids before the new bid went in.
Surely it has to be bad news for Qatar? If the 11th hour bid was sufficient then I can’t see why it hasn’t been accepted by now. It was already an age between the last bids before the new bid went in.
Surely it has to be no news for Qatar? If the 11th hour bid was/wasn’t sufficient then I can’t see why it hasn’t been accepted/dismissed by now. It was already an age between the last bids before the new bid went in.
I agree 100% with the 3 of you.

Top posting.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Allowing the club to spend a proportion of its own income is the absolute bare minimum expected. In fact that sentence sounds ridiculous reading it back.

The focus on the transfer spending seems to have really played into the Glazers hands when it comes to deceiving football fans. Their stewardship of the club has been about as bad as you could imagine. They’ve not Invested anywhere near enough in the club as a whole, but have managed to convince a few by throwing large transfer fees about without adequate structure or planning in place (see Jamie Redknapp).
I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me or making a different point. The Ronaldo spend was what typified the Glazer rule. It gave fans a short term buzz, pushed up share prices and did nothing at all for the football. It was badly spent money from a football perspeective but well spent from a marketing point of view. They turned us into a footballing joke. One worry about the Qataris is that they did the same to PSG but on a bigger scale. City may be plastic cheats but they are also incredibly well run plastic cheats.

Chumpsbechumps

I wonder if the part of Yankers dragging this out is until the FA cup final. In the unlikely event that United win , they get to be on the podium to congratulate the players.

They can then convince themselves they left as some kind of not completely useless sh*tbags. I’m not sure this is the case but it’s as good a theory as any other as to why they are hanging on like a bad stench.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I wonder if the part of Yankers dragging this out is until the FA cup final. In the unlikely event that United win , they get to be on the podium to congratulate the players.

They can then convince themselves they left as some kind of not completely useless sh*tbags. I’m not sure this is the case but it’s as good a theory as any other as to why they are hanging on like a bad stench.
In 18 years at the club when have they ever tried to soak the glory in front of the cameras?

RORY65

Even if they did announce a preferred bidder the deal wouldn't likely be done for weeks so it's not that, they've never seemed that fussed anyway although I'm sure like everyone they do have ego's that would like to bask in some shared glory.

I imagine it's that they expected there to be a Qatari state bid that would blow them away and a bid of that scale hasn't arrived and so they're still unsure what decision to make.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Well tbh it was the period between 2008-2013 that really allowed the rot to set in, yes we won because of SAF, but when he left we had a team with players over 30 in almost every position, they didn't invest the 80m we got from selling Ronaldo and since then we've been playing catchup because of that lack of investment
But overall we have to admit that we have spent more than enough to be competitive for the league.

We have been awful spending money ultimately

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Zero chance a multi-billion dollar deal gets dragged out unnecessarily for a trivial reason like this.

McTerminator

Oh come on now.

We've been playing catch-up because we spent a lot money really, really poorly.

Yeah, the transfer business after the Moscow final was mostly disappointing. But in 2023, we can't keep blaming Obertan and Owen for our persistent mediocrity.
He’s right to point to it though.

We have spent lots of money poorly since, but we had to spend and gave ourselves no leverage due to the period the poster refers to.

It also allows people to ruin the narrative that we have spent more than City post SAF, ignoring the state of the two teams when he left and our complete inability to sell players for a decade.

Cloud7

Nonsense! This is a multi billion pound business deal with strict NDA’s attached! Really it has nothing to do with the fans so not sure why you’d expect constant communication as to what’s going on!
To be fair, off the top of my head the only top club that has been sold during my retrievable memory is Chelsea, and there seemed to be constant updates during that period, so perhaps that is what this is being compared to

Joseunited

I know he's a knob jockey but Goldbridge has just said that we will have £200m+(before player sales) to spend on players this summer!!Quoting one of his many "sources".

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ratcliffe owns a third of Mercedes F1. Bought in about the same time Red Bull started winning.
Respect for Ratcliffe as a business man but in sports he's like the reverse Midas

Big Ben Foster

Supports
I know he's a knob jockey but Goldbridge has just said that we will have £200m+(before player sales) to spend on players this summer!!Quoting one of his many "sources".
He's full of shit. FFP restricts us to roughly £100m before sales this summer, but player sales can increase that amount significantly (e.g., a £20m sale can potentially unlock up to £100m in additional permitted spending).

Siorac

He’s right to point to it though.

We have spent lots of money poorly since, but we had to spend and gave ourselves no leverage due to the period the poster refers to.

It also allows people to ruin the narrative that we have spent more than City post SAF, ignoring the state of the two teams when he left and our complete inability to sell players for a decade.
The problem with all this is Liverpool. They were in no better state than us before Klopp arrived. Once they lost both Suárez and Sterling, they were a desperately poor team. And yet they managed to turn it around spending a lot less than what we did.

Both periods - the underinvestment during the late Fergie years and the incredible wastefulness afterwards - are ultimately on the owners. No doubt about that. It's just at this point, lack of investment in the playing squad ceased to be a problem long ago and more investment in it doesn't guarantee anything. It's necessary, sure, because that's how football works but we can't just say "we haven't spent enough on players so we should throw more money at it".

CodeRed

He's full of shit. FFP restricts us to roughly £100m before sales this summer, but player sales can increase that amount significantly (e.g., a £20m sale can potentially unlock up to £100m in additional permitted spending).
I actually didn't know that regarding the sales. I was wondering about the FFP restrictions as we are in this crazy position than we could go on a massive spending spree dependent on who our owner may be.

Regarding Mr Goldbridge, I actually quite like him. Yeah I know....don't hate me. Well he's done well making a living out of something he loves and is passionate about. So fair play to the bloke. Also during lockdown I was so broken with work and the channel was my only pleasure and grace which was soothing when i had some spare time.....even though some of it was utter bollox. At least he doesn't spend 30 mins at the beginning saying hi to each member like on that other United channel with someone called Sam.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I know I'm utterly sick of going back and forward with pointless discussion now, I just check in now and then.
Same here. Given it’s the most important determining factor for the clubs next couple of decades at least I should be glued. But feck all is ever happening so I just pop in once in awhile to confirm that feck all is still happening.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
I actually didn't know that regarding the sales. I was wondering about the FFP restrictions as we are in this crazy position than we could go on a massive spending spree dependent on who our owner may be.

Regarding Mr Goldbridge, I actually quite like him. Yeah I know....don't hate me. Well he's done well making a living out of something he loves and is passionate about. So fair play to the bloke. Also during lockdown I was so broken with work and the channel was my only pleasure and grace which was soothing when i had some spare time.....even though some of it was utter bollox. At least he doesn't spend 30 mins at the beginning saying hi to each member like on that other United channel with someone called Sam.
I don't mind Goldbridge. Never watched his channel but some of the clips I've seen on YouTube are hilarious (usually of him losing in FIFA or Fall Guys).

Status
Not open for further replies.