Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Hopefully they will decide to nominate one of the many gay members of the Qatari royal family as a senior figurehead of the new Man United corporate team. Would be a nice gesture of friendship to the millions of gay United fans around the world.

Abraxas

To me the whole Nice thing doesn't matter. That doesn't worry me in the slightest. I'd have no desire to go mad at Nice either, no matter how many billions I had. I think it's more of a side project for them that they're doing sustainably. Maybe even learning the football business with the long term view they'd buy a PL club.

What would concern me is whether they have a tangible plan for investing in the infrastructure of the club. Trading on being British really isn't enough. That's not a huge selling point. It's nice but it's not going to trump everything else if we are not competitive. More like a bonus so I wouldn't be basing the PR around the bid solely on that.

Revan

Assumptionman
Weren’t we buying awful payment in kind loans at one point?

They were at over 16% interest so I’d be blown away if they somehow got that down to 1%.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ited-glazers-debt-explained-b2145746.html?amp

I’d imagine with the wealth of the Qatar bid and INEOS, they’ll get better terms even in the current climate than what the Glazers received in 2015.
Oh, the original debt was in quite awful terms. It was taken in 2005 or whatever when the interest rates were relatively high, and it was considered a risky debt so of course it had crazy interest. However, it was refinanced a couple of times (I believe in 2012 and another time later), when the interest rates were essentially close to 0, so I do not think it would have been 5% or whatever the interest rates are now.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Ineos statement is so disappointing. No mention of squad investment or infrastructure development.

IWat

Hopefully they will decide to nominate one of the many gay members of the Qatari royal family as a senior figurehead of the new Man United corporate team. Would be a nice gesture of friendship to the millions of gay United fans around the world.
I'm not sure if that's serious or a joke :smirk:

mav_9me

Does anyone seriously think these manifestos are gonna make a jot of difference to the Raine Group/Glazers evaluation of the bids? I know why these are being pushed out by the Ineos/Qataris but I feel like fan sentiments on who we want as owners will not matter a jot to Raine/Glazers.
could not agree more. Glazers only care about $$$.

This stuff is to get the fans to welcome them. Basic PR.

Tarrou

Majority ownership”, would open the doors the the reluctant Glazer siblings to hold on to their shares. GET feckED.
I'm convinced all this talk of the divide within the Glazers is horseshit

It's quite an obvious negotiation tactic when you think about it, to give the impression they don't have to/want to sell

lostcauz

Hmmm.., unless I've missed any updates regarding the ineos bid it reads like they won't wipe the debt
And without majority ownership. Why would they put any more money into the club for facilities and the squad.

Castia

That’s not true though.

Likely on for a third 5th place finish in 4 years, dared to go for a new young manager, dared to bring in a new young really highly rated DOF. Currently the form team in France.
Is 5th in the French league after 4 years really that good though?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Majority ownership is a red flag and we all know he’s taking loans out to secure the club. Feck that.

His French side is apparently a complete farce as well. No thanks.

Anybody wanting this over Qatar must be absolutely mental.
Majority ownership means the club is his, under his control. Doesn’t matter who the minority parties are, as long as the Glazers are gone.

Vapor trail

Glazers to INEOS at this point is a sidestep. Ratcliffe is a joke after declaring public interest for years in buying the club this is how he capitalises on that opportunity.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
PSG have had questionable leadership sure, but Nice are a joke. Anyone who thinks Jim is serious is kidding themselves on. Deluded.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Because its still a multi billion euro squad that has a huge amount of talent. It will take a huge investment.

Does every rich owner of a club has to pump money into it and try to turn it into City/PSG?
I'd rather have someone who actually puts his hands in his pockets then someone who does not. Its not as if Ratcliffe is a genius football wise. Nice is a circus act as well

enghuei

Cheats at Tetris
So does this means the Ineos majority (66%) bid of £4B is bigger than the Qatar 100% offer.
Qatar would have to up their offer to £6B to complete the purchase
I believe they “value”the club at £4B, hence they would pay £2.26B for 66.7% of the club.(assuming that’s percentage of the club held by the Glazers).

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
So he was born in London now? Great. What other lies can we make up?
Mate calm down. I just repeated what others wrote and i am not from Britain so got the city wrong. There is no conspiracy against SJR. But his “British bid for British club” is hilarious for a lot of people who dont have clear preference and have reservations for both bid

mono-math

Sports washing, as I understand the term, is describing a PR exercise to change the image of a country in the minds of the population in general, it isn't meant as a description of increasing political influence. I hate to break it to you, but Qatar, Abu Dhabi and Saudi Arabia already have plenty of influence in the corridors of western governments, they have personal relationships with our leaders and already own or have large stakes in assets in most western countries.

I mention soft power as owning United will further entrench their influence and possibly increase it around the world.
Pre world cup bid, hardly anyone knew anything about Qatar. Foreign Direct Investment in Qatar has more than tripled since 2020, and in per capita terms, it is currently 4th in the world for FDI. It has jumped from 10th to 3rd for Middle Eastern and North African countries since 2021.

US companies are investing 5 times as much as they did pre pandemic. You just have to switch your TV on and you'll see visit Qatar adverts on during every single ad break. Who would have visited Qatar 10 years ago? There is a massive campaign going on to make Qatar seem like a lovely place to visit (which I'm sure it is for Westerns) while migrant workers are treated like slaves and native LGBTQ+ people hide "underground". None of this would have happened without the world cup hype or PSG ownership, at least not to this extent. Buying Man Utd is, as you rightfully point out, the next step as they look to, in my view, launder their reputation internationally, and acquire more soft power.

I completely understand why they are doing it. It's helping them diversify their economy and bringing significant foregin investment in to the country. My issue is, based on how they treat a significant proportion of their population, I'm not sure if we should be doing business with them and I certainly don't think Man Utd should be the friendly face of Qatar.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
Here is SUV on boycotting the Qatar world cup:

Here is SUV when Qatar might buy United.

Here is @crossy1686 deriding people who would accept sportswashing at their club.

Here is @crossy1686 explaining that the new owners might actually be opposed to human rights in their country.

Here is @Telsim worried about the deaths of migrants in the world cup.
Mate, no one cares about your quoting anymore, there's nothing we can do about the potential new ownership so I'm going to try to see the positives from here on out. I've never once said I agree with anything that's happening but welcome to the world of Capitalism. It is what it is.

IWat

100% serious.
I hate to break it to you but they still have the the death penalty on the books for acts of male homosexuality for muslims (though it's not used) and 3 years for non-muslims. There's no chance a member of the royal family or anyone of note is coming out as gay.

Status
Not open for further replies.