4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeanoMagicHat

Does no one at this club have the balls to tell him to feck off from taking free kicks?
Nope, and Eriksen is right there. Ronaldo is a manipulative and intimidating figure though, take free kicks off him and you’ll probably have his PR team write 5 articles about you. He is toxic.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Indeed, massively disappointed by ETH after today
Yeah, the same. This week i realised how i am delighted of having him as a manager and i was so optimistic about this season.
This was huge kick in the nuts. He made 180 turn regarding Ronaldo. From standing his ground to being weak as some novice.
If i don't know better i would say that someone from upper positions told him; play him or you are sacked (I KNOW that it is not the case here but it is strange though)

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Leaving drama and squad morale aside, my trust on ten Hag is reduced by a lot when he starts Ronaldo on back to back games and lets him play 180 minutes, the only reason I can think for that is that he's been instructed from above to give him minutes, and the plan is that somehow he would have good enough games for another team to be interested in January, which, honestly, would be stupid as the World Cup will be the best chance for that.

If we look at football reasons, Ronaldo hurts the whole team plan in 3 of the 4 phases of play:

Defending - He basically never tracks back, 90% of the time he won't be closer than 50 meters to his own goal under any circumstance, he's a non factor in defense.

Transition to defence - As he never tracks back, he already throws 50% of this phase to the bin, on top of that he's usually the only player to not pressure the rival team build up, which leads to him being totally absent from this phase while making the work of everyone behind him harder and of worse quality. He also has this annoying habit of standing still pointing at other players who they should be pressing while he does nothing, that's not something you want any of your players to do.

Transition to attack - Which used to be his best asset for years, now that he's lost the pace he won't burn anyone on a counter, meaning 90 minutes of wasting one of the 3 channels to counter and getting worse and worse as the game leads to the end, he's also not involved in build up play because, as mentioned in the Defending phase, he's not close to the ball once it's recovered, his only contribution to this phase is basically heading a ball for a second play for Bruno/one of the wingers.

Attacking - The only phase you will get something good from Ronaldo nowadays, that being if you ignore that he won't dribble and will spend half of the time offside. You could understand him being a starter if he was banging goals for fun... which he isn't, as from the Juve days he's been one of the worst players in top European leagues on shot conversion to goals, which is not something bad if you have a team capable of working with a 10 men unit behind him that can feed him... which is also not the case.

His attitude on the pitch is not good at all, engaging in stupid fights against the rival defenders, questioning and throwing hissy fits for any referee call against his interests or always moaning that the ball isn't reaching him as he'd like. The most clear example I can think of is comparing him to Lewandowski.

On one hand you have a 34 y/o player that left a top European team almost at the end of his prime to play for a troubled club that crashed out of the UCL stage (setting on fire his expectations for a Ballon d'Or), yet at a semi-testimonial match like yesterday and already winning 2-0, he's sprinting 20 meters to press the keeper after 80 minutes.

On the other, you have a 37 y/o player that puts no effort on anything that can't directly contribute to his goal tally, for example in today's 3rd goal where he's chillin 5 meters offside, pulling Van de Beek to press his men, who puts the whole midfield in jeopardy and ends up breaking the team in two halves, he sticks up like a loose thread in the team plan, and any time the rival team manages to pull from his thread, the whole team starts falling apart.

Now, he's not the sole reason games like today happen, but he's the main trigger, in a team playing on the edge, the licenses he takes on the pitch ends up making everyone around him a worse player overall, and that's something players like Garnacho, Shaw, McTominay or Van de Beek among many others can't afford if you want them to push for a top 4 finish right now.

Coming from me, this will be just taking as a rant piece against Ronaldo, but we faced the same issue once Suarez became unable to do anything that a top tier striker should be doing at the highest level, and became only worse when Messi joined that dynamic, leaving a team to fence for themselves with just 8 outfield players regardless on how good the attacking productivity of 2 players were on any given day.

I think the points are there for anyone to see, I can notice the trend, most fans seem able to do so too, then why is EtH not able to? As good an idea as working to bring a player like Ronaldo to the best level you can get from is, it's worthless if you're throwing 3 points on a weekly basis to have him in the best shape once it's too late, especially when he's leaving by the end of the season.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Look at all these other big clubs bowing to a 38 year old legend.. oh wait

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Leaving drama and squad morale aside, my trust on ten Hag is reduced by a lot when he starts Ronaldo on back to back games and lets him play 180 minutes, the only reason I can think for that is that he's been instructed from above to give him minutes, and the plan is that somehow he would have good enough games for another team to be interested in January, which, honestly, would be stupid as the World Cup will be the best chance for that.

If we look at football reasons, Ronaldo hurts the whole team plan in 3 of the 4 phases of play:

Defending - He basically never tracks back, 90% of the time he won't be closer than 50 meters to his own goal under any circumstance, he's a non factor in defense.

Transition to defence - As he never tracks back, he already throws 50% of this phase to the bin, on top of that he's usually the only player to not pressure the rival team build up, which leads to him being totally absent from this phase while making the work of everyone behind him harder and of worse quality. He also has this annoying habit of standing still pointing at other players who they should be pressing while he does nothing, that's not something you want any of your players to do.

Transition to attack - Which used to be his best asset for years, now that he's lost the pace he won't burn anyone on a counter, meaning 90 minutes of wasting one of the 3 channels to counter and getting worse and worse as the game leads to the end, he's also not involved in build up play because, as mentioned in the Defending phase, he's not close to the ball once it's recovered, his only contribution to this phase is basically heading a ball for a second play for Bruno/one of the wingers.

Attacking - The only phase you will get something good from Ronaldo nowadays, that being if you ignore that he won't dribble and will spend half of the time offside. You could understand him being a starter if he was banging goals for fun... which he isn't, as from the Juve days he's been one of the worst players in top European leagues on shot conversion to goals, which is not something bad if you have a team capable of working with a 10 men unit behind him that can feed him... which is also not the case.

His attitude on the pitch is not good at all, engaging in stupid fights against the rival defenders, questioning and throwing hissy fits for any referee call against his interests or always moaning that the ball isn't reaching him as he'd like. The most clear example I can think of is comparing him to Lewandowski.

On one hand you have a 34 y/o player that left a top European team almost at the end of his prime to play for a troubled club that crashed out of the UCL stage (setting on fire his expectations for a Ballon d'Or), yet at a semi-testimonial match like yesterday and already winning 2-0, he's sprinting 20 meters to press the keeper after 80 minutes.

On the other, you have a 37 y/o player that puts no effort on anything that can't directly contribute to his goal tally, for example in today's 3rd goal where he's chillin 5 meters offside, pulling Van de Beek to press his men, who puts the whole midfield in jeopardy and ends up breaking the team in two halves, he sticks up like a loose thread in the team plan, and any time the rival team manages to pull from his thread, the whole team starts falling apart.

Now, he's not the sole reason games like today happen, but he's the main trigger, in a team playing on the edge, the licenses he takes on the pitch ends up making everyone around him a worse player overall, and that's something players like Garnacho, Shaw, McTominay or Van de Beek among many others can't afford if you want them to push for a top 4 finish right now.

Coming from me, this will be just taking as a rant piece against Ronaldo, but we faced the same issue once Suarez became unable to do anything that a top tier striker should be doing at the highest level, and became only worse when Messi joined that dynamic, leaving a team to fence for themselves with just 8 outfield players regardless on how good the attacking productivity of 2 players were on any given day.

I think the points are there for anyone to see, I can notice the trend, most fans seem able to do so too, then why is EtH not able to? As good an idea as working to bring a player like Ronaldo to the best level you can get from is, it's worthless if you're throwing 3 points on a weekly basis to have him in the best shape once it's too late, especially when he's leaving by the end of the season.
Don't let emotions get the best of you.

EtH started Ronaldo because he has nobody else. Martial was fresh off injury return and could barely play, let alone start. As much as this loss sucks, small part of me hopes that maybe this can be a clear signal for our fecking owners just how much we need a striker in January. We would have been 3rd in the league now if we had a good striker.

El Jefe

We're fecked until he leaves. We just need to hope he leaves after the during the World Cup break but I don't see it as amother teams have been witching these awful performances.

He's so poor and I honestly can't think of anything he offers the team at the moment.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'd ask Sir Alex to sit him down and tell him he's done. Fergie might be the only person he listens to.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
He isn't leaving european football until Messi leaves Europe as well, he cares too much about his record in the CL...he doesn't want to lose it to Messi though.
He is gonna be jumping from team to team until Messi is gone from european football, so his CL record is safe.

Remember this is a man who doesn't celebrate teammates's screamer in a CL final cause he wanted to score that goal himself... can't remember seeing something like this before in history of Football.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona

EtH started Ronaldo because he has nobody else. Martial was fresh off injury return and could barely play, let alone start. As much as this loss sucks, small part of me hopes that maybe this can be a clear signal for our fecking owners just how much we need a striker in January. We would have been 3rd in the league now if we had a good striker.
As bad as he's played in most games this year, Elanga on the right wing is an improvement over Rashford, if we look at the whole team perspective he's not a great player, but he adds a little to all aspects of the game.

And the same for Rashford, he's not a player that can lead the line vs Real Madrid on the UCL final, but he's been way better than Ronaldo any time he's played as a striker this year.

As much as I could understand that Ronaldo might need to play today due to rotations, you have a better combination available with Garnacho, Rashford and Elanga which, in my opinion, are an improvement to the overall level of the team. Playing Ronaldo is the hail mary of expecting a individual player to win a game, but if you want to play that card it's better to use him as a substitute.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

If he has to start it's one thing, why is he still allowed to take FKs on the edge of the box ? How can that be justified ? Cause it's an automatic wasted opportunity

Greck

The injuries cover him starting but not finishing. When Martial and Elanga came on his role was over. We just sacrificed a midfielder to prevent a tantrum. Even the starting role is highly contentious when Rashford starts the game on the right. If we're committed to making Rashford worthless let it be in the position we actually won games this season, at CF.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Like playing with 10 men with him starting.

MUFC OK

He’s dropping too deep for some reason, could be the managers instructions but he should be playing on the last man.

MUFC OK

We're fecked until he leaves. We just need to hope he leaves after the during the World Cup break but I don't see it as amother teams have been witching these awful performances.

He's so poor and I honestly can't think of anything he offers the team at the moment.
Literally set up garnachos goal the other night?

dove

From someone who has refused to come on as a sub and was dropped from the squad, to being untouchable in the space of a couple of weeks even though he is useless and destroys the team. Unfortunately it seems like he has won a battle against ETH and if he doesn't leave in January, we are screwed.

Idxomer

Someone should make a compilation of all the times he wanders into an offside position and then take ages to get back, it would be a hilarious watch.

Strelok

From someone who has refused to come on as a sub and was dropped from the squad, to being undroppable in the space of a couple of weeks even though he is useless and destroys the team. Unfortunately it seems like he has won a battle against ETH and if he doesn't leave in January, we are screwed.
Agree on everything except the part he has won the battle. We'll see next wk if Martial is not injured again.

LARulz

He isn't leaving european football until Messi leaves Europe as well, he cares too much about his record in the CL...he doesn't want to lose it to Messi though.
He is gonna be jumping from team to team until Messi is gone from european football, so his CL record is safe.

Remember this is a man who doesn't celebrate teammates's screamer in a CL final cause he wanted to score that goal himself... can't remember seeing something like this before in history of Football.
Nobody will take him

Irrational.

From someone who has refused to come on as a sub and was dropped from the squad, to being untouchable in the space of a couple of weeks even though he is useless and destroys the team. Unfortunately it seems like he has won a battle against ETH and if he doesn't leave in January, we are screwed.
He is a curse upon the club - there has to be a way of fecking him off. Like Ole, he has ruined his legacy and is actively harming it the longer he stays. Ironically, he was signed by thsat very man.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Like I'm always asking, which team is gonna take him? I can't see any in January even though I wish I were wrong.

Another whole season with him is just gonna take us down Not one good game since he's been starting again. The club really needs to take this loss and hopefully not be influencing ETH about keeping him as a starter. I'll wait to see what happens when all our attackers are back and fit.

dove

Agree on everything except the part he has won the battle. We'll see next wk if Martial is not injured again.
But why else would he play full matches? Obviously it’s not because he plays well and improves the team.

Strelok

But why else would he play full matches? Obviously it’s not because he plays well and improves the team.
Yeah that's one of my biggest questions after the match too. It looks really worrying but let's hope. If he wins we're really screwed. Probably ETH too.

Tbh this brought me so much the nightmare of last season. After the Everton match I knew Ole would got sacked if he keeps starting Ronaldo. I even said that here I think. It's the fastest way to lose the respect of your players and lose the dressing room. Once a manager loses the respect of his players there's simply no return.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Who would go on for him? Ten Hag has pretty clearly shown that Ronaldo isn't a key player for him. He's clearly shown that Ronaldo is in fact our 5th choice attacker. When 3 of those are out injured though... what do you do?

bosnian_red

As bad as he's played in most games this year, Elanga on the right wing is an improvement over Rashford, if we look at the whole team perspective he's not a great player, but he adds a little to all aspects of the game.

And the same for Rashford, he's not a player that can lead the line vs Real Madrid on the UCL final, but he's been way better than Ronaldo any time he's played as a striker this year.

As much as I could understand that Ronaldo might need to play today due to rotations, you have a better combination available with Garnacho, Rashford and Elanga which, in my opinion, are an improvement to the overall level of the team. Playing Ronaldo is the hail mary of expecting a individual player to win a game, but if you want to play that card it's better to use him as a substitute.
Garnacho on his debut and Elanga who is a championship quality also youth player... let's be real, no manager would ever play both of them ahead of Ronaldo.

Strelok

Who would go on for him? Ten Hag has pretty clearly shown that Ronaldo isn't a key player for him. He's clearly shown that Ronaldo is in fact our 5th choice attacker. When 3 of those are out injured though... what do you do?
Martial as the #9 instead of his probably first game in his entire career as a #10 ?

bosnian_red

He's won a battle by getting all the others who would start ahead of him, ill or suspended.

phelans shorts

The irony of this is I would be much more comfortable with Rashford up front against Real Madrid than I would against Aston Villa

bosnian_red

Martial as the #9 instead of his probably first game in his entire career as a #10 ?
He brought him on to be part of a front 2 where we essentially went 424 but with a floating forward which was Martial/Rashford. Again. Would you have left Van de Beek on? We needed 2 goals. Look, I think Ronaldo is tumescent and is the worst striker in the league. But it's not a weird decision at all to leave him on the pitch when we need 2 goals, and the only other option would be to put Fred or McTominay on.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
ETH has to put the teams development first which is hampered by a slow past it 37 year old CF.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Definitely deserves a 10 match ban for whatever he did to Mings right? Come on FA, do your job.

Status
Not open for further replies.