g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Cristiano Ronaldo image 7

Cristiano Ronaldo Portugal flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

CloneMC16

Hopefully 4 games left and then he's gone in January.

He doesn't want to be here and it's becoming a real struggle watching him play for us. He's so past his best it's tough to watch.

He isn't worth the drama he brings with him anymore.
Sadly, I don't think he's going anywhere. The only team that was willing to pay was some Middle Eastern team. He's played terribly this season. His stock is lower now. No serious team is going to want him. We're going to have to deal with him until the end of the season.

Competent? He's probably the greatest right back in the history of the entire club.

Wasn't the greatest on the ball but worked very well with Becks as a duo. Defensively he was superb and also a great leader.
Gary was our first choice RB for 12+ years. Anybody saying he was only competent is pretty disrespectful. He was a great player for us. He also improved going forward a lot in his later years. His crossing massively improved. Losing him in 07/08 to injury was a big loss. Brown did a good job in his absence, but didn't have the consistent final ball that Gary had.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He wasn't as bad as some made it out. Probably one of his better games recently.
He was OK when he wasn't trying to force a shot. Still his involvement slows us down or leaves us without a CF up front.

But let's face it, he is in the team to score goals. He misses a lot of chances - I don't expect him to score on every occasion but at least make the GK work. Right now he looks non threatening, I think opposition is happy to face him.

djembatheking

Gary Neville is so underrated. He was a very good right back, one of the few undroppable players.
Agreed, Gary Neville was a true legend, brilliant right back . You don`t rack up over 600 appearances for United with SAF as manager without being top class.

Josh 76

He wasn't as bad as some made it out. Probably one of his better games recently.
People need to look at how the team plays when he’s on the pitch. The dynamics of the team structure falls apart. The little things that we take for granted, have a big effect on how we play.

Movement off the ball, hold up play, running with the ball, time of pass, weight of pass, holding position. All these things contribute and Ronaldo is the elephant in the room when it comes to this. Football is not an individual sport, it’s a team game. We are seen this over the last 9 years.

If we want to move onto the next level, Ronaldo is done as a Manutd Player!

Irwin99

I think he actually worked hard in this game. He did a lot of pressing. Especially first half. He caused Fabianski to misplace a few passes that allowed us to win the ball back.

His finishing has all but left him. It's terrible nowadays. He gets opportunities that he would normally force the keeper to make a save. Now, most of his shots go off target. He pisses me off when he chooses not to pass and go for a long range shot that he has little to no chance of scoring.

I also think he tries dropping deep too often. There are quite a few scenarios that he drops deep to get a touch on the ball. He likes to move out towards the left. The ball works its way out wide to Shaw, and since Ronaldo came deep, we have nobody in the box. We end up having to recycle the ball back into midfield.

The absolute shit pass he played when we were countering was extremely frustrating. Rashford was making a run and didn't receive a pass from Ronaldo. He ended up running offside and had to slow his run. Ronaldo then played a terrible pass towards Bruno. Well, I think that's what he was doing. I'm not 100% sure what he was doing.

We kept him on to win some defensive headers during set pieces. He did win a couple, so there was some use for him there.

Overall, having him here is not good for this team. Our players make worse decisions trying to find him when he is in the box. Far more terrible crosses go in when Ronaldo is on the pitch. It's drama for ETH when he does or doesn't start. It can also be a problem to sub him. When he acts like a baby, the media goes crazy over it. The drama isn't worth it for the (lack of) quality he brings nowadays.
Good assessment of both the few positives and the more numerous negatives of having him in the team at the moment.

I wanted him to stay at the club in the summer because I was afraid that Rashford and Martial wouldn't get the goals in the number 9 role but Ronaldo is just not scoring enough. And when you take away the goals from his game there's not a lot else these days. The effort and the runs into the box are there but he's not finding the back of the net which is the only reason you keep him in the side.

Foxbatt

He was OK when he wasn't trying to force a shot. Still his involvement slows us down or leaves us without a CF up front.

But let's face it, he is in the team to score goals. He misses a lot of chances - I don't expect him to score on every occasion but at least make the GK work. Right now he looks non threatening, I think opposition is happy to face him.
Yes he is I agree. And he simply can't play 90 mins. We need to replace him. I don't think he would have played the whole 90 if we had any other option. No Antony and no Martial.
Plus when you add how terrible Bruno was today it's going to show much more.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Yes he is I agree. And he simply can't play 90 mins. We need to replace him. I don't think he would have played the whole 90 if we had any other option. No Antony and no Martial.
Indeed. Ronaldo is just very lucky to get so many minutes. We're so thin up top it's crazy.

Longshanks

People need to look at how the team plays when he’s on the pitch. The dynamics of the team structure falls apart. The little things that we take for granted, have a big effect on how we play.,

Movement off the ball, hold up play, running with the ball, time of pass, weight of pass, holding position. All these things contribute and Ronaldo is the elephant in the room when it comes to this. Football is not an individual sport, it’s a team game. We are seen this over the last 9 years.

If we want to move onto the next level, Ronaldo is done as a Manutd Player!
Yep totally agree, the attacking structure just falls apart aswell as our ability to retain possession and keep teams penned in whenever Ronaldo plays.

city-puma

Gary finally spoke out a lot of us keep saying, "There were also moments last year, when Ronaldo was available, he'd pass it to him like he was subservient to him. I feel now he's willing to take [responsibility] and then play him in when he needs to."

steffyr2

Sadly, I don't think he's going anywhere. The only team that was willing to pay was some Middle Eastern team. He's played terribly this season. His stock is lower now. No serious team is going to want him. We're going to have to deal with him until the end of the season.

Gary was our first choice RB for 12+ years. Anybody saying he was only competent is pretty disrespectful. He was a great player for us. He also improved going forward a lot in his later years. His crossing massively improved. Losing him in 07/08 to injury was a big loss. Brown did a good job in his absence, but didn't have the consistent final ball that Gary had.
Oh, are we supposed to be respectful of players who have done great things? How about being respectful of Utd players in general, not just those who have won titles and awards? Have you read the threads and posts in this forum? Do you ever read the game day thread?

Anyway, I think it would be nice if we were consistently respectful of the players who were great for us, as well as those who are working hard for us now. Doesn't happen.

CloneMC16

Oh, are we supposed to be respectful of players who have done great things? How about being respectful of Utd players in general, not just those who have won titles and awards? Have you read the threads and posts in this forum? Do you ever read the game day thread?

Anyway, I think it would be nice if we were consistently respectful of the players who were great for us, as well as those who are working hard for us now. Doesn't happen.
People can do as they wish. Saying Gary was only 'competent' is downplaying how good he was for us. I honestly have no idea why you've quoted me to say this.

Our players are held to high standards. When they don't perform, they will be criticised. I only see an issue when people hold agendas. They refuse to give praise when a player they don't like plays well.

Gavinb33

He just doesn't know how to be a proper number 9 and it kills us in lots of ways.

I do hope he leaves soon but I think I've resigned myself to seeing him until the end of the season which will lead to more games like this one.

Luka Mora

He wants to leave because deep down he knows he can't stat pad in the premiership at his level anymore. We won today and he still looked pissed off because he didn't score. That's all his main goal is to rack up stats for himself in a desperate attempt to stay relevant. When that doesn't work he has to create drama off the pitch to bring the centre of attention back to himself.

I'm just wondering where are all the legions of ''we'll be relegated without Ronaldo'' brigade have disappeared to. I have an inkling even they know he's finished and done.

Geet uP!

Delano

Worst player on the pitch every time he plays and the team plays better without him. That's the reality right now.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I can't understand why he always pass the ball backwards. He can't pass the ball forward these days. Amazing.
The skeptic in me thinks it's because he wants to buy himself time to get on the end of finishing moves. All the selfish traits we're seeing now have always been there, he was just so goodwe all overlooked them. Now that the talent has faded, what's left is his true character.

BorisManUtd

Not sure there will be any interested clubs in January but surely club will let him go if there are and replace him with Gakpo or whoever.

Stats really show how underwhelming Ronaldo's been this season so far. 2 goals (one was a penalty) and 1 assist in 5 EL games against teams like Omonia and Sheriff, while he scored 6 goals in 5 CL group games last year. Just 1 league goal though he started in 4 games. We knew we were getting older version of Ronaldo when we was coming last year but he was much better than now so decline has been very evident over last 6 months or so.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

Not good enough. He is simply finished as a top level footballer.

Just doesn't offer anything and he weakens our defending from the front foot.

Luka Mora

Not good enough. He is simply finished as a top level footballer.

Just doesn't offer anything and he weakens our defending from the front foot.
Viva Ronaldo, Viva Ronaldo
Running down the wing, hear United sing
Viva Ronaldo!
Viva Ronaldo, Viva Ronaldo
Running down the wing, hear United sing

JeffFromHK

He is finished as a top player.
he should accept a rotational verteran role in the squad (like Larsson in 06-07), have a good rest for his last World Cup, and then leave on good terms to weaker leagues with Champions League football

MinGin

We should be done with seeing or hearing ''Ronaldo scores that'' after someone (mostly Rashford) else misses a chance now
Maybe he can score that chance at that moment, but no way he can catch the ball before that moment, especially he cannot spirits for a long moment before that moment.

Asleepdemand

He just can't do anything now, offer nothing to the team. We need to get rid of him ASAP and find another striker

MinGin

Bruno decision making is always terrible (maybe the whole team) when Ronaldo is on the field.

Wing Attack Plan R

It's weird seeing the GOAT have trouble with linking passes and having no control over his shots, like against West Ham today. I'd say he put himself about more in this game than he has in the past several times he's played. The problem is our style changes to suit him, instead of it being the other way around. We keep trying to land crosses onto his bonce or play him in between the defenders, when what we need is a player who takes the ball facing goal and beats his man. Ronaldo can't seem to beat his man - any man - any more, which means he has to be slipped in, but his pace isn't what it used to be so he has less time to compose and shoot. It's a knock-on effect. What's worse is when he drops back so he's the lowest up the pitch of our 4 attackers, and he tries a couple short passes - those passes don't get us up the pitch and don't get anyone in position for a run or a cross, they just waste time.

I'm glad Ronaldo tried harder against West Ham. I think if we had a fit Martial, Martial plays ahead of him, no question. At this point, I'd think a more fluid #9 would suit us better, even if that's an academy kid pushed into the first team. Rashford burst into the first team because we were out of options, I think we should look to our prospects.

And I think we should be doing everything humanly possibly to move him on in the January window.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Do you support Al Hilal because they tried to sign him? :lol:
It's so funny after he spent the summer sulking and whoring around himself to CL clubs across Europe the only legit offer came from Al Hilal :lol: . Still waiting for the "truth" he promised to reveal though. Seeing his performances so far this season maybe the Saudi Arabian league is his current level. He struggled to score versus teams from Moldova and Cyprus ffs.

bringbackbebe

He's truly terrible. Slows the play down, can't dribble, finishing is questionable, aerially done for. Just keeps moaning. Bruno will have more goals and Casemiro will have more assists if we replace Ronaldo with a proper striker who fits our system.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That's a big problem. He's just not got the mobility and sharpness needed in this team and ends up being a passenger for much of the game - which hurts our control big time.

We need to part ways asap as amicably as possible. A stop gap will do for now.

zenith

We will for sure be in the mix for the top 4 in January. In such a situation, can we really afford to let him go, especially when martial is so unreliable.

Maybe a clever loan signing to help replace him, cause I reckon of he has a good world cup he'll feel even more entitled and if he has a bad one then the stroop will be amazing

Ladron de redcafe

Anyone else find him going over and speaking/making it blatantly obvious he's not speaking to certain pundits absolutely infuriating? he's so intent on making everything about himself. I cannot wait until he leaves.

add the fact he's been fecking shite for 95% of his minutes.
I don't know about infuriating. It's cringe inducing and definitely funny to watch an adult embarass himself by behaving like a 9-year-old.

Bondi77

His fitness level is up and he covered a lot of ground today and he wasn't throwing his arms in the air so that impressed me.
If he buys into the team ethic for the season then it bodes well for us because we all know he is not too shabby when it comes to finishing.

Real Name

Anyone else find him going over and speaking/making it blatantly obvious he's not speaking to certain pundits absolutely infuriating? he's so intent on making everything about himself. I cannot wait until he leaves.

add the fact he's been fecking shite for 95% of his minutes.
He's incredibly thins skinned, wants the whole world to celebrate him all the time.

Lyng

Bruno decision making is always terrible (maybe the whole team) when Ronaldo is on the field.
Its mostly Bruno. I am curious to see against Villa how we look with Ronaldo without Bruno. I have a feeling Ronaldo is better without Bruno in the team. (we already know Bruno is better without Ronaldo)

Strelok

Its mostly Bruno. I am curious to see against Villa how we look with Ronaldo without Bruno. I have a feeling Ronaldo is better without Bruno in the team. (we already know Bruno is better without Ronaldo)
Just curious why? You think he'd be better with less service for him?

The team performance might be better because we'd stop wasting our possession on Ronaldo but I can't think of any logic or scenario that Ronaldo would be better without Bruno. Ronaldo is always demanding everyone to pass to him for a reason. He can't create for himself or beat a man anymore. Without any service you probably won't even notice he's playing.

Chief123

Would love to hear Keane’s views on performances like these. Especially after his digs at Rashford away at Chelsea… “Ronaldo would have probably scored that chance”.

Lyng

Just curious why? You think he'd be better with less service for him?

The team performance might be better because we'd stop wasting our possession on Ronaldo but I can't think of any logic or scenario that Ronaldo would be better without Bruno. Ronaldo is always demanding everyone to pass to him for a reason. He can't create for himself or beat a man anymore. Without any service you probably won't even notice he's playing.
My theory is that he will get better service. Bruno tries to pass it to Ronaldo regardless of position and movement, meaning that the service he gets is often useless and / or misplaced.
A Donny or Sancho in the 10 role will distribute the balls more effectively and smart and thus create chances closer to goal that are easier to convert. Ronaldo might get less passes but the ones he would get would be easier to convert and closer to goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.