Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SambaBoy

He was poor today, too easily beaten by their winger. He will have to be happy being a squad player because he's never going to be a regular starter in any position apart from when there is an injury crisis.

The good thing is he can cover for CB, LB, DM, CM to a reasonable standard in all positions as he has shown in the past. Definitely worth keeping for that reason IMO.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A bit ironic, would you agree?

At the start of the season, we all thought we're more than good on LB and we feared for RB position.

As it turns out Valencia the Terminator is outstanding whilst our LB's are pretty much poor.
Yeah, didn't think it would turn out like this. I thought we were well stacked at LB, we have Blind, Rojo and Shaw. Rojo is a much better CB, Shaw is having issues this season, form and injuries and Blind hasn't stepped up.

I don't see the harm in trying Young there against teams that will stay back against us though

Hoboman

I'm yet to see his great footballing brain and intelligence on the pitch.

He looks intelligent, his father was intelligent player and Daley is very likeable guy. However, he is not more intelligent than any other average PL defender.

His concentration lapses, positional mistakes and inability to compensate his lack of pace are not traits of intelligent defender.

Dante

Average bang
His passing his intelligent. His defending isn't. A lot of people seem to conflate the two and assume that he's clever when it comes to positioning.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
His passing his intelligent. His defending isn't. A lot of people seem to conflate the two and assume that he's clever when it comes to positioning.
I disagree. I think, in a purely defensive role, he can be absolutely fantastic with his positioning and reading of play. He struggles when he's required to do both. As a fullback in an attacking team you've got to support your winger with the sort of movement that causes issues for the oppositions winger so he can't double up on your winger, you've got to have the confidence and smarts to know when to overlap or find space to make yourself available.

It's that balance I think he struggles with and it's understandable because it's an absolute art. Valencia, who it's no secret I've long been a fan of as a full back, gets away with getting it wrong sometimes because he has the physical attributes to recover the situation. Blind doesn't have that luxury.

The United

Tbf, defending is not easy at all as a team. Because even if you are a smart guy and know what to do in what situation in your head, you still have to rely on others. It is easier to show it more up front than back for obvious reasons.

He was average in this game. But then again players are allowed to have some average game here and there. It is not exactly a shocking thing.

It is good that he is one of them out in game like this and not against lets say pool.

kr0nix

I'm yet to see his great footballing brain and intelligence on the pitch.

He looks intelligent, his father was intelligent player and Daley is very likeable guy. However, he is not more intelligent than any other average PL defender.

His concentration lapses, positional mistakes and inability to compensate his lack of pace are not traits of intelligent defender.
He performed better than Otamendi and a great many other Premier League CB's last season despite having disadvantages in pace and strength. How do you explain this?

Hoboman

He performed better than Otamendi and a great many other Premier League CB's last season despite having disadvantages in pace and strength. How do you explain this?
Probably because LVG's possesion based system with two defensive midfielders helped him a lot?
Don't get me wrong, he has his own strengths, e.g. decent tackling and passing, but he is not so smart. David Liuz plays some fantastic passes from the back and between the lines but nobody calls him intelligent.

Re Otamendi: that was his first season in EPL, with Mangala and even Demichelis playing with him in center of defence, while Kompany was constantly injured.
Despite that he was pretty decent last season and actually very good this year despite playing in Pep's shambolic system with such clowns as Stones and Bravo in defensive line-up.

Reactions: Sultan

tomaldinho1

I've lost a bit of confidence in Blind recently. Used to think he was a great option at LB, ok at CB and solid squad player but he seems to have aged 5 years over the last few weeks. I know he always gets roasted on the outside but his general play seems to have taken a dip? If we weren't short at LB I would think he might be a dark horse for Jan transfer.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
I've lost a bit of confidence in Blind recently. Used to think he was a great option at LB, ok at CB and solid squad player but he seems to have aged 5 years over the last few weeks. I know he always gets roasted on the outside but his general play seems to have taken a dip? If we weren't short at LB I would think he might be a dark horse for Jan transfer.
He's an experienced, smart player and will be useful wherever he plays albeit only our first choice in the event of injury. Several posters have suggested a role protecting the back four (replacing Carrick) & delivering to the two midfielders (When Pogba & Herrera are playing) where speed isn't as important as experience, and I agree with those insightful posters. :yawn:

prath92

Was solid defensively. Shaqiri got no joy that flank. Even crouch tried to target him but to no avail

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Was solid defensively. Shaqiri got no joy that flank. Even crouch tried to target him but to no avail
Thoroughly enjoyed it when he beat him in the air.

Feeling the offensive side of his game is suffering slightly by being played leftback, under Mourinho leftbacks are generally discouraged from going forwards and instead are the to concentrate more on defensive aspects.

Giggsy92

His crossing has been useless lately, really hope Shaw can find some form because right now we have zero threat from that position.

Zoo

I thought he was solid. I still don't understand why he didn't play at home against Liverpool.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I mis read your original post, but why would a left back be discouraged from going forward and a right back encouraged to go forward?
Because the right back is very good at it and gets a licence to do it, as a result. The other three defenders have to make up for it.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I mis read your original post, but why would a left back be discouraged from going forward and a right back encouraged to go forward?
It's how Mourinho tends to play, one attacking fullback and one defensive. Valencia is the nominated attacker so whoever is playing leftback must play more reserved. The left back will often tuck in to make a back three or cover across the line.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
His crossing has gone to shit tbh. He doesn't seem to offer anything going forward.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Same reason our left back in 07/08 was encouraged forward but our Right Back was very rarely found too far forward.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
It's nothing to do with Jose. Blind is getting forward as he always does but his crossing and passing hasn't been of the quality it usually is with him.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I thought he was solid. I still don't understand why he didn't play at home against Liverpool.
From what I gather, Mourinho alternates him with Carrick as the outlet from deep, just not in the same position. Carrick + Darmian, no Carrick = Blind at leftback.

Rossa

I cannot believe people say he offers something going forward. He looks completely lost out there. The way he actually stood the ball out when Pogba did his job and chased down Markovic looked like a 10 year old playing football for the first time. When the ball is loose he either looks completely disinterested in winning it or he's just much too slow. Was he always THIS slow? Has he crossed the ball once?

Rossa

In all fairness his our best attacking left back. Darmain would be worse and Shaw has forgotten how to attack.
It isn't in fairness. He hasn't gotten into one attacking position and is too slow and cumbersome to make the overlap. Rashford is completely left on his own up front.

Roboc7

In all fairness his our best attacking left back. Darmain would be worse and Shaw has forgotten how to attack.
That is true, but young could play there in these types of games. Even when blind does get forward and into decent positions it's all in slow motion so there just isn't any threat.

Eddy_JukeZ

Seems to have lost some pace? Even though he never had any, but he's looked slow out there this season.

The United

It isn't in fairness. He hasn't gotten into one attacking position and is too slow and cumbersome to make the overlap. Rashford is completely left on his own up front.
He did plenty of overlappings. We just haven't used much of left wing. Players like Pogba chose to play into the middle of crowd every single time instead of going to wide a bit more to mix up.

BlahRules

Shaw this season has not shown any attacking impuetus. Darmain is a defender playing as a fullback. At this moment Blind is our best fullback.

Rossa

He did plenty of overlappings. We just haven't used much of left wing. Players like Pogba chose to play into the middle of crowd every single time instead of going to wide a bit more to mix up.
He overlaps at times, but he doesn't get into good positions. When Rashford has the ball he is always at least 15 yards behind and thus offers him no support. Even when he manages to overlap he does absolutely nothing with it - his crosses are not very good and he is so easily caught.

Rossa

Shaw this season has not shown any attacking impuetus. Darmain is a defender playing as a fullback. At this moment Blind is our best fullback.
It still makes him rubbish, and I actually think that Darmian made more of an attacking effort, albeit without any threat, the last couple of games he played at LB.

The United

He overlaps at times, but he doesn't get into good positions. When Rashford has the ball he is always at least 15 yards behind and thus offers him no support. Even when he manages to overlap he does absolutely nothing with it - his crosses are not very good and he is so easily caught.
It depends on a lot of things. When pogba and zlatan choose to stay on the left side, the LB does not need to overlap the furthest obviously.

And no one is going to overlap rashford when he is running with full speed. We usually overload on the left which slow things down a bit at times whereas the right wing has usually empty space for tony to run into which works for us.

Shaw with a lot of pace usually plays that way too. I am guessing it is how we like to play.

Rossa

It depends on a lot of things. When pogba and zlatan choose to stay on the left side, the LB does not need to overlap the furthest obviously.

And no one is going to overlap rashford when he is running with full speed. We usually overload on the left which slow things down a bit at times whereas the right wing has usually empty space for tony to run into which works for us.
Blind needs to get further up field so that the defenders can't always push him out wide. He doesn't do that - he sits far too deep. Valencia offers support all the time and is 10 times the attacking threat Blind is as well as defending more. Blind's best bit of play always happens around the halfway line. His link up play there and passing are very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.