Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The United

Blind needs to get further up field so that the defenders can't always push him out wide. He doesn't do that - he sits far too deep. Valencia offers support all the time and is 10 times the attacking threat Blind is as well as defending more. Blind's best bit of play always happens around the halfway line. His link up play there and passing are very good.
If you watched the first half, he did has plenty to forward runs even when rashford was not ahead of him. He did it fine.

Like I said, we don't have the right winger attacking like we have in left side. We usually 'overload' the left which we don't do on right wing often which gives tony spaces to run into and make his devastating runs.

Our right side wingers tend to play/drift inside more. Different ways of playing on each wings. Pay attention.

Rossa

If you watched the first half, he did has plenty to forward runs even when rashford was not ahead of him. He did it fine.

Like I said, we don't have the right winger attacking like we have in left. We usually 'overload' the left which we don't do on right wing often which gives tony spaces to run into and make his devastating runs.

Different ways of playing on each wings. Pay attention.
I do pay attention. I don't think he offers anything going forwards. We'll have to disagree on this one. Now back to watching the match.

Devil may care

We are using fullbnacks as the attacking width but he's so slow we can't stretch the defense on the left with him there.

TheSweeper

For the love of God play him in midfield or CB in games he has time to dictate things. He is literally playing the position that got his career started & not the best for him nor us.

Even if he is rubbish - there are very few midfielders who play the deep lying dictator that he automatically becomes one of the better options available & yet he is always at LB or the subs.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
For the love of God play him in midfield or CB in games he has time to dictate things. He is literally playing the position that got his career started & not the best for him nor us.

Even if he is rubbish - there are very few midfielders who play the deep lying dictator that he automatically becomes one of the better options available & yet he is always at LB or the subs.
How about just don't play him

AR87

I do pay attention. I don't think he offers anything going forwards. We'll have to disagree on this one. Now back to watching the match.
He doesn't in the style that Mourinho wants, that's for sure. He was excellent in his attacking contributions under LVG, but we were also much more possession oriented and not looking to transition nearly as quick.

The United

I thought he had a decent game.

It is hardly full backs's faults when we couldn't create pretty much nothing up front.

TheSweeper

We are trying to get the best out of Ibrahimovic more than the team. He is being used as a LB only because of his ability to cross. Whether thats from deep or overlapping makes no difference since blind has 10x better cross than Shaw or darmian.

Move this guy to CDM & CB - give LB to young if we need crosses. It's a very lazy tactic from Jose as much as bringing fellaini on & hoffing balls to the penalty box

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Shaw is so much better for a game like this. Needed some speed and directness on the left near the end but Daley's sat there blowing out his arse whipping in crosses from the halfway line because he can't physically get further forwards.

Rossa

I thought he had a decent game.

It is hardly full backs's faults when we couldn't create pretty much nothing up front.
You must love him. I actually have him above average rating for this forum for the whole season, but he was abysmal today. His clearances were sloppy; his defending when challenged by Markovic was horrible, and that one time when he let a player past him inside the box in the second half was downright pathetic. It's like he doesn't react to challenges at all. Simply put, he is much too slow and lacks all kinds of agility and athleticism to play fullback in a team trying to play with a little pace. It worked under LVG because the game went so slow.

Rossa

He doesn't in the style that Mourinho wants, that's for sure. He was excellent in his attacking contributions under LVG, but we were also much more possession oriented and not looking to transition nearly as quick.
We probably need a new LB. I'm not sure how Blind can fit into Mourinho's plan. He's too weak and slow to play CB - the same goes for LB, and I'm not convinced of him in midfield either.

Bojan11

Shaw is so much better for a game like this. Needed some speed and directness on the left near the end but Daley's sat there blowing out his arse whipping in crosses from the halfway line because he can't physically get further forwards.
Hasn't Mourinho said that with Valencia bombing forward the left back needs to stay back. Hence why he isn't picking Shaw.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Hasn't Mourinho said that with Valencia bombing forward the left back needs to stay back. Hence why he isn't picking Shaw.
That much is obvious.

He wasn't bad in the 2nd half. Had only Rooney and Rashford to play off of and Rashford is a difficult player to work with as a full back. Can't overlap him because he wants to have the option to dribble left and right. Get to close and he'll heel the ball to a Hull player.

The United

You must love him. I actually have him above average rating for this forum for the whole season, but he was abysmal today. His clearances were sloppy; his defending when challenged by Markovic was horrible, and that one time when he let a player past him inside the box in the second half was downright pathetic. It's like he doesn't react to challenges at all. Simply put, he is much too slow and lacks all kinds of agility and athleticism to play fullback in a team trying to play with a little pace. It worked under LVG because the game went so slow.
I love good passers. I can't lie.

But then again I hardly criticize any players without a reason. He is playing within his ability. Obviously if he has the speed and strength of tony, it would have been great.

Also he was the last person to have a block. He had a few forward runs which were ignored in 2nd half too after I argued with you.

Actually, good passers can pass slow or fast. He does not have his speed but the ball will go fast anyway due to his passing. It is lazy way to say he does not suit jose's style.

binary bot
Our left backs attacking threat has effectively been nullified this season. Seemed to happen after the Shaw mistake at Watford. Who ever plays on the left now gets doubled up on and there's feck all overlap.

The United

People don't get it. I have been saying it in a few posts today already.

We have certain ways of playing on both wings. We are not like under SAF who tbf had good wingers/fbs to do it on both sides.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
I thought he did ok tonight too @The United .

Rashford was poor and failed with 9 passes in front of him and failed with 4 dribbles ahead of him too. He then had to put up with no effort, support or output from Wayne Rooney in the second half.

He made 8 clearances (100%), 3 aerial duels (100%), created 2 chances and provided decent crosses.

What more do people want from him when the players are giving that sort of performance in front of him?

Rossa

I love good passers. I can't lie.

But then again I hardly criticize any players without a reason. He is playing within his ability. Obviously if he has the speed and strength of tony, it would have been great.

Also he was the last person to have a block. He had a few forward runs which were ignored in 2nd half too after I argued with you.

Actually, good passers can pass slow or fast. He does not have his speed but the ball will go fast anyway due to his passing. It is lazy way to say he does not suit jose's style.
I actually think his passing is overrated. He's not close to having the vision or quick thinking of Carrick. Sure he has some silky smooth over the top of the defense passes at times, but I still think he hoofs it quite a lot from the LB position, much more so than Valencia, and his passing just isn't good enough to make up for his other flaws.

He runs forward now and then, but how often does he do anything with it? Gary Neville wasn't fast, but he was able to get into good crossing position time and time again. Evra, even when playing injured during that last season of Ferguson got into those positions (though not back into defense again). What's stopping him? To me, it looks like he takes too long to decide - both in attack and in defense. His reactions are too slow along with his feet.

Why is it lazy to say he doesn't suit Mourinho's style? He isn't technical enough to emulate a player like Fabregas and he isn't physical enough either. He is neither here nor there in the team. Not good enough in attack to justify his shortcomings in defense and not good enough positionally to make up for his lack of speed.

The United

I actually think his passing is overrated. He's not close to having the vision or quick thinking of Carrick. Sure he has some silky smooth over the top of the defense passes at times, but I still think he hoofs it quite a lot from the LB position, much more so than Valencia, and his passing just isn't good enough to make up for his other flaws.

He runs forward now and then, but how often does he do anything with it? Gary Neville wasn't fast, but he was able to get into good crossing position time and time again. Evra, even when playing injured during that last season of Ferguson got into those positions (though not back into defense again). What's stopping him? To me, it looks like he takes too long to decide - both in attack and in defense. His reactions are too slow along with his feet.

Why is it lazy to say he doesn't suit Mourinho's style? He isn't technical enough to emulate a player like Fabregas and he isn't physical enough either. He is neither here nor there in the team. Not good enough in attack to justify his shortcomings in defense and not good enough positionally to make up for his lack of speed.
His passing is fine. Not on Carrick's level and many are not. Get Carrick to play on LB and see how he could do. We haven't seen much of blind passing from the middle. His passing from CB was as fine as any.

FBs can overlap but if the wingers or whoever get the ball can't see the pass on or can't pass in tight angles, then it becomes useless. You are bringing G.N? He played with Beckham and under saf who uses width like no other manager. Our wingers atm are more like kick and run or dribblers who just does not stand and pass it to the overlapping FBs like we used to do in the past.

If a blind is playing on the middle and if another blind overlaps like he did in this game, he might have found him a few passes.

About crossing/hoofing the ball, yeah that's our style atm. So he goes with the flow. It is not like he can't pass on the ground and he can do some defense splitting long balls from deep as well.

People mentioned too much about jose's style/player depends on who they want to criticize. Smalling was jose's player when he is on fire. Then, not anymore coz he can't pass and he was in a bit of shit form. I mean really.

Last edited:

The United

I thought he did ok tonight too @The United .

Rashford was poor and failed with 9 passes in front of him and failed with 4 dribbles ahead of him too. He then had to put up with no effort, support or output from Wayne Rooney in the second half.

He made 8 clearances (100%), 3 aerial duels (100%), created 2 chances and provided decent crosses.

What more do people want from him when the players are giving that sort of performance in front of him?
Yeah, well they want to focus on 'slower/weak' players or elbow man first whenever we have a shit result. It is why I am always here and there to balance some shit out.

People who watched the game can't not see the fact that our wingers especially rashford today would always try to dribble or use his speed to break out. If it was mata, he might use overlapping fbs a bit more as he does with tony the other side.

Fracture90

His crossing is held in high regards here on caf, shame he never brings it to the pitch with him.

Every ball he sends in is either too close to the keeper or cleared away by the first defender.

ti vu

That's for L'pool game (not our default tactic) where Mourinho played Darmian who I said in his thread that his discipline is his best asset. Pay attention on game when we try to dominate the opponent and play expansive, Mourinho used Blind more to make use of that attacking ability. However, Blind despite being better attacking than Darmian is not brilliant.

Shaw doesn't play is not due to he's too attacking or too suspect in defense (he used to be good before the leg break, and a nuisance for any attacker in 1 vs 1), but rather he doesn't perform well enough and seems to have problem with his injury and fitness. If anhything, Shaw impressed more as a defender as a United player than an attacking left back.

Last edited:

Godfather

He is an awful left back simple as. Decent defensively but provided feck all going forward. Rashford was often quite isolated. His crossing wasn't nearly good enough either.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Always thought LB was his best position but he has really struggled this season. Doesn't do enough going forward, looks even slower than useual and his crossing has gone to shit.

Left-back has become such a big issue for us.

TheSweeper

He is an awful left back simple as. Decent defensively but provided feck all going forward. Rashford was often quite isolated. His crossing wasn't nearly good enough either.
Tbh overlapping strikers like Rashford & Martial on the wing is harder than overlapping Mata or mkhitareayn on the right. The strikers are far from defined & need more of that side to dribble from.

Blind can cross better than anyone no matter how poor he is. Just play him centrally.

Godfather

Tbh overlapping strikers like Rashford & Martial on the wing is harder than overlapping Mata or mkhitareayn on the right. The strikers are far from defined & need more of that side to dribble from.

Blind can cross better than anyone no matter how poor he is. Just play him centrally.
Crossing alone doesn't make him a good leftback. He has no pace, no physical power, can't beat players and doesn't nearly overlap enough.
He has a decent footballing brain, a good left foot and that's about it.

Janson

Not good enough for that position simply. I didn't see any mistakes in particular but he just isn't good enough, attacking nor defending.

Ixion

I must have watched a different game because I didn't think he did anything particularly awful. There were certainly worse players on the pitch than Blind, not sure why he's getting stick.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Posters here are going to go around in circles criticising every leftback we play. You would have throught it would be pretty obvious by now that Jose's teams tend to play lop sided, one fullback is attacking, the other more defensive.

The reason why we aren't seeing Shaw, Blind or Darmian make run after lung bursting run is because they have been told not to. They play reserved an tuck in when needed alongside the centrebacks while Tony is given freedom to play as offensively as he can.

prath92

two exceptional passes to mata. mata should have scored at least one. all in all a good cameo as usual

TheSweeper

I don't have twitter - can someone message him & ask him to talk to Jose about playing a game in midfield?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I don't have twitter - can someone message him & ask him to talk to Jose about playing a game in midfield?
No but I left a message on his MySpace page, fingers cross he listens.

Status
Not open for further replies.