Dele Alli is England's best young midfielder playing in Turkey

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I'd say that he's not just about goals and attacking movement. He's also an aggressive tackler, very mobile and energetic (a true box-to-box CM), a decent passer of the ball and shows real commitment and passion. And for a 19 year-old whose jumped straight from League 1 to playing for Spurs, he has so much composure that you'd think this was his 3rd or 4th season in the Prem.

Barring injury, I think it's a certainty he'll be in the England Euros squad ... and very possibly as a starter.
Nothing possible about it, he should start pure and simple. He's got a big player mentality already.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
1 word answer to the thread title: Yes.

He's not great defensively but he's so much better than Ross Barkley it's not even funny. Time for the amount of press and praise they get to be reversed permanently.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea

He's not great defensively but he's so much better than Ross Barkley it's not even funny. Time for the amount of press and praise they get to be reversed permanently.
Ross Barkley is good too.

Norris

What a goal!! Pereira tried to do the same against southampton, but that was a fantastic goal. This guy has got something.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton

Do you mean so much better defensively than Barkley or overall?

I'd love someone less lazy than me to compare them in key midfield stats this season because I feel Barkley would trump him in most of them except the defensive ones where I admit he is not great.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Ross Barkley is good too.
He is having a great season. 7 goals 7 assist in 22 games and has been very good controlling the game from deep at times. Even last week against yourselfs his passing was off which is becoming rarer but he was still heavily involved in most of our attacks and caused havoc.

redmeister

Do you mean so much better defensively than Barkley or overall?

I'd love someone less lazy than me to compare them in key midfield stats this season because I feel Barkley would trump him in most of them except the defensive ones where I admit he is not great.
But wouldn't overall stats for the season not be unfair as Ali is a 19 year old in his first Prem season on a massive upwards trajectory? You've got to give him a while to settle in surely. It's not like Barkley who has played at Everton, in the Prem for several years.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
But wouldn't overall stats for the season not be unfair as Ali is a 19 year old in his first Prem season on a massive upwards trajectory? You've got to give him a while to settle in surely. It's not like Barkley who has played at Everton, in the Prem for several years.
True Barkley has played 2 full Premier League seasons more than Ali. I'm not the one making daft hyperbolic comments though when its very touch and go regarding who could go on to become the better player out of the 2. I'd love to see the 2 of them in midfield with Carrick in the summer if only to a entertaining England team in my lifetime.

NessunDorma

Biggest disparity between Barkley and Alli is in dribbling. Barkley is much more likely to go past a man than Alli is.

birdy2121

James Maddison at Coventry has looked better than Ali in that league and is a few years younger. I would go for him for top dollor before Liverpool or Tottenham steal another English talent from under our noses.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Cant believe we missed out on him all because of our owners not stumping up an extra few grand. He's looks a proper old fashioned midfielder.

redmeister

James Maddison at Coventry has looked better than Ali in that league and is a few years younger. I would go for him for top dollor before Liverpool or Tottenham steal another English talent from under our noses.
They are both 19. Last year when Ali was 18, he scored 16 goals in that division. Maddison has been injured for much of this season.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Biggest disparity between Barkley and Alli is in dribbling. Barkley is much more likely to go past a man than Alli is.
Barkley dribbles more often, it is a huge part of his game. Alli doesn't dribble as much but he can still beat men for fun when he wants.. he has a more deceptive style. In fact his entire game is about subtlety which makes him so hard to pick up.. and predict what he is going to do next with the ball.

NessunDorma

Barkley dribbles more often, it is a huge part of his game. Alli doesn't dribble as much but he can still beat men for fun when he wants.. he has a more deceptive style. In fact his entire game is about subtlety which makes him so hard to pick up.. and predict what he is going to do next with the ball.
Barkley's successful with 61% of his take-on attempts, Alli only 29%. Can't honestly say i've watched Alli close enough yet to properly know his game, but the stats at least suggest Barkley is better at beating a man.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
I'm genuinely envious of Tottenham's team/first-team set up.
This has never happened for me. Even when they had van der Vaart, Modric, Sandro, Bale... and were playing great stuff, they still only had Redknapp, and everyone knew they'd sell the key players eventually.

Now they have a younger team, a better manager, and I can't see any of them leaving them any time soon.
I really really like Pochettino. But I can't even see how things could align for him to become United manager.

And, as a side issue, I still maintain that United's regular first eleven isn't any better than Tottenham's.
Actually, I'm not even sure it's as good as Redknapp's old first eleven.
Similar team quality - van Gaal underachieving, whilst Pochettino's overachieving.

Spurs: 41 goals in, 19 goals out.
United: 28 goals in, 21 goals out. :(

They are actually going to be getting quite good in the next few years, I feel.

Edit: Complete mish-mash of a post, I've just realized. :D

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What an unbelievable goal that was.

This kid has been quality every time I've seen him. He's got skill, he's got goals, he's got an engine and he's got bite. Terrific signing.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The strike is great but more than anything it's awareness he showed just before by flicking the ball over the speeding defender that impressed me the most.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Wow. I'd have that kid over any of our hopeless batch of midfielders.
Wowowow

Spurs have so many great young Players right now! I think I read we are trying to poach their youth development head?

izec

Comparing Barkley with Alli doesnt make much sense. Barkley plays as a 10 most of the time, while Alli is a box to box CM.

izec

Alli has been playing as a #10 lately.
Could well be, but the stats above show this season, which isnt really representative for their positions. It is quite clear where their strengths are, from watching them and the stats back it up quite well. Alli is much more flexible and can play in various formations, while Barkley lacks the defensive side of the game.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
As #10 Alli contributes greatly to the defence, while Barkley doesn´t do it equally. Everton is also an unbalanced team. They are great going forward (which buffs their numbers) at the expanse of their defence.
I never really got the hype around Barkley, but he surprised me this season. He is a good player, but if he wants to play for a top club (=cl club), he needs to further improve.
Overall I fancy Alli any day of the week so. Depending on the system he has the skill set to play both as #8 and as #10. He lacks the ability to control games, but he still might develop that.

Robbie Boy

James Maddison at Coventry has looked better than Ali in that league and is a few years younger.
I see you done some good research here. They are both 19, with Alli being a whopping 7 months older. Alli had two full League 1 seasons under his belt when he had just turned 19 and had scored 24 goals; he was also voted the League 1 YPOTY last season and made the team of the year. Maddison has looked good but how you can say he's looked better that Alli is beyond me.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I think Alli/Barkley in a midfield three will be scary a few years down the line. Only worry is whether they can play together, unlike Lampard/Gerrard.

m1y2

I think Alli/Barkley in a midfield three will be scary a few years down the line. Only worry is whether they can play together, unlike Lampard/Gerrard.
Lampard and Gerrard were quite similar to each other while Barkley and Alli are not, they also seem much more dynamic than the former, Id'd only be worried if whoever is the manager give them deeper role which imo doesnt suit them much even though they are not worst defensively, particularly Alli.. Eric Dier or another defensive midfielder could be easily throw in to provide the balance and you have an exciting midfield three:-)

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Lampard and Gerrard were quite similar to each other while Barkley and Alli are not, they also seem much more dynamic than the former, Id'd only be worried if whoever is the manager give them deeper role which imo doesnt suit them much even though they are not worst defensively, particularly Alli.. Eric Dier or another defensive midfielder could be easily throw in to provide the balance and you have an exciting midfield three:-)
Hart
Clyne---Smalling---Stones---Shaw
Carrick/Dier
Alli---Barkley
Chamberlain---Kane---Sterling

Is actually a really good team. Also has potential to be one of the best IMO.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Hart
Clyne---Smalling---Stones---Shaw
Carrick/Dier
Alli---Barkley
Chamberlain---Kane---Sterling

Is actually a really good team. Also has potential to be one of the best IMO.
Agree with this, but in the summer we'll end up with this dream lineup:

Hart
Clyne - Cahill - Smalling - Baines
Milner - Henderson - Barkley
Vardy - Rooney - Sterling​