Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Mate, McTominay is not a "scapegoat", he is shite. He is the main reason our midfield is shite. Not because he's a scapegoat, but because he's shite. He would not start for a single top 16 team in the premier league. Not as a DM, not as box to box (his so called 'true position') or as an attacking midfielder. He is shite. He is demonstrably one of the worst midfielders in this entire league. I'm not even going to talk about his lack of technical ability or positional awareness, the lad is literally afraid of the ball. Once again, people shit on him because he's shite not because he's a scapegoat.

The constant affection for this absolute nothing player is baffling.
So let me get this straight, you think he’s shite?

sugar_kane

There is hope with ETH that finally we have a coach with an effective style of play like Klopp and SAF.

The players can be in and out of the team (injuries and etc) but the style of play remains the same. Most importantly still getting results.

Having said that I understand other posters concern on similarity with LVG's start. LVG had a very good preseason and also at the start of the EPL season with great attacking football. He only changed to playing negative football after we suffered heavy defeat by Leicester. And never recovered from there.
Sorry but this is a myth.

We were shite against Swansea, losing 2-1 on the first day of the season at home, then we drew back to back against Sunderland and Burnley, generating 2 shots on target in the latter (which would become a recurring theme of the Van Gaal years)

We beat QPR with a decent scoreline, but with the Leicester result factored in we basically one won game in our opening five league matches.

I vaguely recall that we played quite attacking in the Leicester game, but it certainly wasn't the case that we were playing 'great attacking football' in every game until that defeat.

Trex

There is hope with ETH that finally we have a coach with an effective style of play like Klopp and SAF.

The players can be in and out of the team (injuries and etc) but the style of play remains the same. Most importantly still getting results.

Having said that I understand other posters concern on similarity with LVG's start. LVG had a very good preseason and also at the start of the EPL season with great attacking football. He only changed to playing negative football after we suffered heavy defeat by Leicester. And never recovered from there.
The difference is that we have seen ETH insistence on playing this football at Ajax even against top sides such as Madrid, Juventus and Tottenham.
He's stubborn about his ideologies like Pep.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Depends on the Role they play surely? are Mctominay and Lingard any worse than John O'Shea and Quinton Fortune? or were they just asked to play every week because we're a much worse side?
Neither is fit to lace o'shea's shoes. He was a underrated player, every title winning squad needs players like o'shea.

CarbonStoolBites

We were shite against Swansea, losing 2-1 on the first day of the season at home, then we drew back to back against Sunderland and Burnley, generating 2 shots on target in the latter (which would become a recurring theme of the Van Gaal years)

We beat QPR with a decent scoreline, but with the Leicester result factored in we basically one won game in our opening five league matches.

I vaguely recall that we played quite attacking in the Leicester game, but it certainly wasn't the case that we were playing 'great attacking football' in every game until that defeat.
Yep, that Leicester game became an absolute myth.
Other than the QPR game at home we were absolutely dreadful at the start of the season, got battered by MK Dons in the League Cup as well, I mean…

Neither is fit to lace o'shea's shoes. He was a underrated player, every title winning squad needs players like o'shea.
O’Shea was good for us for sure.
But he played in SAF led teams, whilst McTominay played 3 years under Ole, they’re not the same.
McTominay would be winning league titles in SAF teams. I mean, Cleverley was a starter in 2012-2013, and everyone thought be was crap.
He wasn’t great by any means, but yet under SAF he held his own and didn’t look out of place against Xabi Alonso, Khedira and Ozil.
SAF was special.

Last edited:

Yakuza_devils

I could be wrong but I remember LVG tried to play attacking football right from the start (forget about the results). It was at least entertaining compared to Moyes. The football was good especially during preseason.

It was after Leicester defeat that he totally changed to negative football.

Gavinb33

Agree with all this, wasn't there a win against Everton that wasn't to bad sandwiched in there sometime, but yes LVG was never really attacking outside of a handful of games

sugar_kane

Yep, that Leicester game became an absolute myth.
Other than the QPR game at home we were absolutely dreadful at the start of the season, got battered by MK Dons in the League Cup as well, I mean…
Yeah it was really bad, we ended up with 3 wins out of our first ten and 13 points. Four points worse off than the Moyes season at the same stage, and four points worse off than Ole's first ten games last season.

Don't get me wrong, I was bought in at the time but looking back now can admit all the signs were there that we were going to play miserable, boring football with mediocre results under Van Gaal.

Swedish_Plumber

Agree with all this, wasn't there a win against Everton that wasn't to bad sandwiched in there sometime, but yes LVG was never really attacking outside of a handful of games
IIRC even that Everton game we relied on DDG pen save (the first baines had ever missed) and pulled off several blinders on top of that.

Blood Mage

I do think the pace and physicality of the PL is something that Ten Hag will need time to get used to and I hope fans are patient with him because the first couple of months could get ugly. I have no doubt whatsoever that we finally have the right man for the long term though.

It's just important to remember that it's a huge step up from the Eredivisie to the PL and we'll need to curb our expectations at first.

sugar_kane

I could be wrong but I remember LVG tried to play attacking football right from the start (forget about the results). It was at least entertaining compared to Moyes. The football was good especially during preseason.

It was after Leicester defeat that he totally changed to negative football.
The pre-season was really good, and had me excited for the season ahead (so agree with your basic point about not getting too excited this time around either...) but my memory of Van Gaal's first season is that we just never got going, slow sideways passing, unable to break teams down, barely any shots on target.

The reason that three game run of Liverpool, Spurs and City is spoken about so highly is because it was the only high point (FA cup win aside) in two years of drab rubbish.

romufc

I do think the pace and physicality of the PL is something that Ten Hag will need time to get used to and I hope fans are patient with him because the first couple of months could get ugly. I have no doubt whatsoever that we finally have the right man for the long term though.

It's just important to remember that it's a huge step up from the Eredivisie to the PL and we'll need to curb our expectations at first.
I think Ten Hag already knows that the PL is going to be intense. He has also said that is one of the reasons he wanted Steve McClaren in as a coach, he knows the PL from his time here.

Why would we need to curb our expectations? No one is expecting a title winning season first time around. Most fans expect to see a well drilled team and hopefully getting top 4.

TheReligion

Abusive

Ten Hag is a CL proven manager. He’s also a student of the game and known for being meticulous.

He will need to adapt to what the norm of the PL is, of course, but I don’t think it will get ‘ugly’ as you suggest.

I think the clubs pre season schedule is well put together with Liverpool, Palace and Villa in view of this too.

Eddy_JukeZ

Yeah, there is this myth that we played incredible attacking football under Van Gaal until the Leceister debacle.

Our start under him was worse than even Moyes IIRC.

We were 9th after the City defeat(we did have a man down) and the only good performance from those run of games was vs a terrible QPR side.

We didn't start well under him at all. We showed signs of progress at the end of the season until we lost 3 straight games without scoring. That kind of attacking impotency carried over into the next season.

Skills

Snitch
The set up in possession is quite interesting. The two full backs are tucking in and playing the same line as Fred.

It allows Bruno and McTominay/DVB to actually break forward through the middle. Occasionally the FBs will break ahead of the wingers, which means one of the two CAMs have to tuck back.

It's completely the opposite of Liverpool, who use the fullbacks to break on the outside and the midfielders to close the gaps they leave.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
The set up in possession is quite interesting. The two full backs are tucking in and playing the same line as Fred.

It allows Bruno and McTominay/DVB to actually break forward through the middle. Occasionally the FBs will break ahead of the wingers, which means one of the two CAMs have to tuck back.

It's completely the opposite of Liverpool, who use the fullbacks to break on the outside and the midfielders to close the gaps they leave.
Isn't this more or less how Lahm (and Kimmich) ended up in midfield?

Hoof the ball

It also provides great support to blocking out counter-attacks.

Skills

Snitch
Isn't this more or less how Lahm (and Kimmich) ended up in midfield?
I'm not sure, I think Guardiola converted Lahm into a pivot. Kimmich I think was a CM from the off - a bit like TAA I think, except for he's bounced between the two positions according to the teams needs.

adkb

I am so excited in a long long time. We have a good manager, who is stressing on technical ability and formations as his utmost priority. I really do not know if it works out cause this is United and someone is bound to feck up, but I really hope these players give them all that they have. I honestly do not care about winning, but I atleast hope some team sweat while playing us.

flappyjay

The Chelsea love-in on this forum is nauseating.

They were supposed to finish ahead of us in 2019-2020 according to some people. They didn't.

Then after the 2020 window, they were miles ahead of us according to a lot of people on here. They didn't.

Then after the 2021 window, they were predicted to challenge City and Liverpool all the way. They didn't.

And now again, their squad is somehow miles ahead of ours. Pure nonsense.
I like that we have been dismissed, fans and media just pretending we didn't a have a freaky season. By the way they are going about arsenal, spurs and Chelsea you wouldn't believe we had finished above all of them the 2 seasons prior.

Trex

I like that we have been dismissed, fans and media just pretending we didn't a have a freaky season. By the way they are going about arsenal, spurs and Chelsea you wouldn't believe we had finished above all of them the 2 seasons prior.
ETH is somehow flying under the radar compared to Mourinho and Ole, Mourinho was labelled favourite alongside Pep, while Ole was called tactically naive every single day both view created pressure.
The media believes the current squad can't amount to much and our signings so far aren't attention grabbing, that might change if we get De Jong though.
Currently it is expected we'll finish around the same spot we did last year but i feel we'll surprise a lot of people both with our performance and results.
ETH won the league in his first full year at Ajax after they hadn't won it in three years and reach the UCL semi final as well.
I'm not saying we're going to win the league so soon not with Pep and Klopp around but i can see us having a season that will surprise a lot of people next year.

sugar_kane

Absolutely all aboard the EtH bandwagon but my only niggling doubt is the doomed, never ending pursuit of De Jong and (to a less extent) his towing the company line re: Ronaldo.

Both of the above are a huge distraction and give the media loads of ammunition against us, cranking up the pressure for the season ahead.

Anyone can see they are lost causes, and even if they work out (De Jong signs, Ronaldo stays) the media agenda is already set (ie, neither player wants to be at United) and will be there as a problem until they leave.

We don’t need any clouds like that around the club right now, everyone needs to be focussed and positive. It’s clear it doesn’t take much for this group of players to crumble or for the dressing room to turn sour.

EtH just needs to publicly move on from both De Jong and Ronaldo. There are shades of Fabregas/Moyes in the former - thinking he’s the solution to our biggest problem and chasing him all summer even though it’s clearly not going to happen.

Trex

Absolutely all aboard the EtH bandwagon but my only niggling doubt is the doomed, never ending pursuit of De Jong and (to a less extent) his towing the company line re: Ronaldo.

Both of the above are a huge distraction and give the media loads of ammunition against us, cranking up the pressure for the season ahead.

Anyone can see they are lost causes, and even if they work out (De Jong signs, Ronaldo stays) the media agenda is already set (ie, neither player wants to be at United) and will be there as a problem until they leave.

We don’t need any clouds like that around the club right now, everyone needs to be focussed and positive. It’s clear it doesn’t take much for this group of players to crumble or for the dressing room to turn sour.

EtH just needs to publicly move on from both De Jong and Ronaldo. There are shades of Fabregas/Moyes in the former - thinking he’s the solution to our biggest problem and chasing him all summer even though it’s clearly not going to happen.
I don't think we should give up the De Jong chase, the thing ETH knows his tactics and he knows the right profile and quality required. I think there's a deal to be donegoing by all credible journos it should eventually happen, Barca want him gone, we want him here, a deal has been agreed.
At a point a compromise will be reached between all parties, the British journos are the ones to be worried about if he comes and the reliable ones are saying privately he'll be open to the move ones he is settled by Barca.
About Ronaldo i think its smart to be diplomatic giving there is no offer on the table for him, once there is a suitable offer am sure he'll go, and knowing Ronaldo am sure he'll force this move eventually and will be replaced.

MUFC OK

Whether this is the case or not, it does feel like ETH was interviewed and appointed on the back of fan sentiment. Unless all reports of Poch being favourite were a wind up from journalists.

I'm absolutely confident this man will be our best appointment post Sir Alex.

Glorio

I wish the "fans" would be quiet. Football needs to take some lessons from tennis
I know it's all innocent excitement, but you wonder why they keep screaming players names as though they expect the player to switch off from training and respond to them :houllier:

Giggsyking

Mate, McTominay is not a "scapegoat", he is shite. He is the main reason our midfield is shite. Not because he's a scapegoat, but because he's shite. He would not start for a single top 16 team in the premier league. Not as a DM, not as box to box (his so called 'true position') or as an attacking midfielder. He is shite. He is demonstrably one of the worst midfielders in this entire league. I'm not even going to talk about his lack of technical ability or positional awareness, the lad is literally afraid of the ball. Once again, people shit on him because he's shite not because he's a scapegoat.

The constant affection for this absolute nothing player is baffling.
I have a feeling that you dont like Mctominay.

Adamsk7

Love this one. The training seems so much more fast paced and it's great to have the manager always shouting his advice, along with VDG and McClaren.

On a side note, it seems like Zidane gets injured.

Mickson

Love this one. The training seems so much more fast paced and it's great to have the manager always shouting his advice, along with VDG and McClaren.

Wouldn't read too much into that. People get "injured" every training.

flameinthesun

Really loving how all the sessions seem to be done at a high intensity and pace.