Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 657 44.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 810 55.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
A change is inevitable. I think the lack of options to succeed him had me warming to the idea of him sticking around and nuking the squad but honestly I think he has lost the dressing room and lost his mind - he will be out the door come end of the cup final. Just like the previous Dutch Man Utd manager.
The sad thing is I don't think he's even lost the dressing room. The players are trying out there, they are just being set up to fail.

stevoc

Be interested to know why you feel this squad is Premier League title winning quality.
No, nor have I said that.

I'd be interested to know where you think this squad should be finishing if you don't think it's any good?

FootballAI

It does seem really shitty to sack a manager on the eve of a cup final (unless you're a wretched London club) when he's won the right to be there and I still think the sacking of LvG hours after winning a cup final was disgraceful by the club

However...How in the hell are we going to build momentum for the final when your team's fans hate you, the results and playstyle are pleasing no one, and you've got unhappy players in the squad?
Ten Hag is just a hopeless manager. Not only did he waste our fortune to buy a bunch of non-United quality players at ridiculous price, his tactic and his in-game management has been a total disaster. There is no other word for it.

We are not going to win City with Ten Hag, might as well let him go now. I think there could be a better chance of us winning the cup with a transition manager rather than with Ten Hag whom nobody including players and fans trust nor respect

Dazzmondo

Doesn’t Tuchel prefer playing with a back 3? With all our CBs injured he will not get to play his preferred formation
He plays 4-2-3-1 with Bayern. Tuchel will play whatever formation suits the squad

Skills

Snitch
I blame Ragnick for that, he was the one who would routinely throw them under the bus and whip the fanbase up against them. Got to hand it to him, he figured out most United fans.
Mourinho started that shit. They both realised how stupidly easy the fanbase was to rule up and used it to their advantage. Fair play to them.

Rustyspider13

I'm getting tired of saying it, but we have no plan of attack. Our 'plan' is to win possession high up but our press is shambolic. The frontline go all the way forward to the box without the backline following, leaving the midfield completely open. And since we don't commit everyone to the press it gets broken every time.

Our build up is even more nonsense. When Onana has the ball we lump in forward to Hojlund who isn't good in the air, leading to possession loss. The few times we don't hoof it, our midfielders and FBs/wingers do not provide any movement to make space and break the press.

How has a manager not even tried to address this for an entire season is beyond me. I don't understand it. I'm a rando in front of a computer and even I see it. Why can't EtH?

Adz_99

We aren't going to win the final anyway. His disastrous £400m spending has built a squad with no chance.
I think in a one off game these players could beat anyone with a good manager. Worst case scenario just survive until penalties.

I think we should axe him now. I'm very unhappy with the idea of just throwing the FA Cup away because we want to save a bit of cash.

Castia

We need 10 points from our last 4 games to match the Moyes/Giggs season.

We would also need to score 20 without conceding to match the goal difference

Yikes that’s terrifying

Sad thing about today it’s not even a surprising score. The bar is so low now its beyond sad

stevoc

I've been of the opinion for months that it was pointless to change manager at this stage. So we might as well just wait until June to sack him.

But things are so bad I do wonder if an interim would give everyone a lift as team morale seems to be in the shitter.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I don't know how anyone can say he still has the dressing room with some of the behaviour of our players this season. They do not respect his authority.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Only two reasons I see are lack of quality options, and INEOS will make him play progressive attacking style football similar to his Ajax team.
Well this match is proof they can't force him. Also, there are always options. They need to just sack him and hire someone.

stevoc

Then what is the point, we are so far away, let ETH run down his contract while we get rid of the 20-25 shit players and then the new manager can actually start with a clean slate so that he at least has a hope of succeeding. Anyone coming in this summer will be hounded out again by these players
That would include all of Ten Hags signings.

Redstain

The sad thing is I don't think he's even lost the dressing room. The players are trying out there, they are just being set up to fail.
Exactly he's nowhere near lost the dressing room yet this team performs like an outfit that has.

RuudTom83

Tried Amad upfront instead of Hojlund for 30 minutes...which should keep the crowd happy that bash EtH for not playing Amad.

Not much a manager can do if the team gives away a penalty in the last 10 mins every match...braindead players doing braindead things.

The Mitcher

I don't know how anyone can say he still has the dressing room with some of the behaviour of our players this season. They do not respect his authority.
Three players, mate. One of those just liked tweets. The rest have been thoroughly professional doing what he asks whilst he throws them under the bus.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I blame Ragnick for that, he was the one who would routinely throw them under the bus and whip the fanbase up against them. Got to hand it to him, he figured out most United fans.
I remember the excuse being used here even back in the Moyes and LVG days, although probably not as much as during Mourinho vs Pogba/Shaw/Martial and then later in the Ole/Rangnick season

lsd

The Oracle
Only two reasons I see are lack of quality options, and INEOS will make him play progressive attacking style football similar to his Ajax team.
I don't understand the lack of quality options as a reason to keep him. There is no quality at all in Ten Hag any replacement is an improvement.

He is the last manager you could use as an argument that there are no better options out there

TsuWave

A change is inevitable. I think the lack of options to succeed him had me warming to the idea of him sticking around and nuking the squad but honestly I think he has lost the dressing room and lost his mind - he will be out the door come end of the cup final. Just like the previous Dutch Man Utd manager.
He hasn't lost the dressing room. The players are actually trying and fighting. He's just shit and the players are limited, and he's seemingly incapable of adapting/adjusting to make the most of the tools available to him - which, is a bare minimum requirement at this level.

Delano

I honestly wanted him to succeed, but he's so stubborn it's unreal. We produce the same performance week in, week out.

I'm honestly bored of talking about it at this point. His formation this season doesn't work for these players, and he won't change. So, there's only one outcome.

The Mitcher

Tried Amad upfront instead of Hojlund for 30 minutes...which should keep the crowd happy that bash EtH for not playing Amad.

Not much a manager can do if the team gives away a penalty in the last 10 mins every match...braindead players doing braindead things.
He got booed for subbing Mainoo off and then got booed at full time. I hope INEOS were watching and listening.

Yakuza_devils

Why always only Man Utd keep their manager until too late and too obvious that the manager need to get sacked? If we changed the manager earlier in the season we could still get Top 4. It was the same under Arnold and now no difference under SJR. Could we be more decisive? It was obvious that ETH need to get sacked months ago. It was the same with Ole case previously.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag speaking to Sky Sports:

"Strong start to the game. Loads of chances then we lost in control in second part of first half. Burnley came back in the game and had some chances. Second half was all ours and we are in a winning position and we give the game away at the end.

"Very frustrated, shouldn't happen. You put yourself in difficult positions. Over many phases of the game we did very good so at the end we have to take the three points and the clean sheet. We gave it away again at the end.

"We put ourselves in a winning position by playing some good football - creating loads of chances and then to give it away in the end in the final minutes it's so unnecessary."

Is that down to bad luck or mentality? "Both - bad luck and we are not lucky with the refereeing in recent weeks. We've conceded so many penalties, this one is justified but other ones. If you make [Aaron] Wan-Bissaka in the final a penalty then what is this [Alejandro Garnacho penalty claim]. Where is the consistency?

"We have to look in the mirror. We made a mistake, but you take responsibility and they should understand what it means for a team and for a manager."

Ole'sgunnarwin

I'm getting tired of saying it, but we have no plan of attack. Our 'plan' is to win possession high up but our press is shambolic. The frontline go all the way forward to the box without the backline following, leaving the midfield completely open. And since we don't commit everyone to the press it gets broken every time.

Our build up is even more nonsense. When Onana has the ball we lump in forward to Hojlund who isn't good in the air, leading to possession loss. The few times we don't hoof it, our midfielders and FBs/wingers do not provide any movement to make space and break the press.

How has a manager not even tried to address this for an entire season is beyond me. I don't understand it. I'm a rando in front of a computer and even I see it. Why can't EtH?
Great post, that's exactly what I see too. It's so basic.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I've been of the opinion for months that it was pointless to change manager at this stage. So we might as well just wait until June to sack him.

But things are so bad I do wonder if an interim would give everyone a lift as team morale seems to be in the shitter.
I just don't see why it's not worth a shot. We are basically handing City the FA Cup at this rate. At least with an interim there's hope that we'll put up a fight. We could actually end this abomination of a season on a high.

The Mitcher

I remember the excuse being used here even back in the Moyes and LVG days, although probably not as much as during Mourinho vs Pogba/Shaw/Martial and then later in the Ole/Rangnick season
Yeah you may be right. But it really got worse under Rangnick imo.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
So will this be a load more journos banned who dare to question what he is doing? His press conference will be held in a broom cupboard soon.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If this new management has any clue then they will sack him immediately.
CL next year is gone (not mathematically, but whatever), so there's that.

As in: no point really.

But we are still in the FA Cup final - against City. Winning that one would be pretty sweet - for everyone involved, I'd imagine: fans, owners, sponsors.

And I personally believe the possibility of us beating City in the FA Cup final (they can't do the treble, thank feck, but they will probably do the double if we don't beat them) is non-existent under ETH.

So, yeah.

Sack him now (take the hit financially), gamble on an interim - but for the love of Satan, do not consider that interim as anything beyond an...interim.

The Mitcher

Mourinho started that shit. They both realised how stupidly easy the fanbase was to rule up and used it to their advantage. Fair play to them.
Mourinho only targeted certain players, still bad. Unlike Ragnick he knew how to spin it, because there was a kernal of truth to them.

Robbie Boy

Not mad on an interim this late in the season. But feck it, what's to lose. At least there's some kind of chance of beating City in the final with one.

Skills

Snitch
Quality control
The problem is the fanbase is just of a really, really low quality. They need to be fed a narrative to actually make sense of this sport. Without the narrative they're clueless.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I’d honestly take Jose for a few matches at this point. He would figure out a setup that doesn’t lead 49 yard spaces at least.

Pronewbie

Peep
This season beginning from our pre-planning/pre-season has been absolutely horrific. This is a manager completely out of his depth in many facets of the game where the club is also weak at. The new off-the-pitch appointments should help dramatically I'm just not sure he should be staying. The only thing saving him is the seemingly lack of other candidates.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We need 10 points from our last 4 games to match the Moyes/Giggs season.

We would also need to score 20 without conceding to match the goal difference
We need 4 points in our last 4 games to match the Ole/Rangnick season. With Palace away, Arsenal at home, Newcastle at home and Brighton away. There's quite a strong chance this ends up being our worst season in PL history (we also topped our CL group that season before going out against Atletico).

Son

Notice he plays poorly or looks poor when paired with McTominay. Seems better with Mainoo.

Casemiro was never known for pace. Everyone keeps slating him for his performances this season when it’s more likely that it’s an impossible job to cover that much ground when your 8 and 10 bomb forward and your CBs are so deep. Ten Hag has tried to mitigate that by pinching Dalot in, but then we get done by balls into the channel. The tactics are a fecking mess for abilities / attributes of our players. Seriously, I cannot understand why Ten Hag still has a job. After two seasons and a new GK, we still can’t play through a high press consistently. feck me.
The only players who could get a tune out of this system would be a prime Kante or Essien (maybe) as they I assume could just about cover enough ground.

I assume that’s why he brought in Amrabat but at a higher level technically than international football the guy is found wanting. Then gets played as a wing back regardless or not at all :lol:

It’s just an absolute disaster the space left in front of the defence. Then the players like Casemiro get the blame.

Like you said put peak Casemiro in the same situation and wish him luck he’d need it.