g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Shots fired.

:lol:

He really wants to stay next season. This is the second time after the "common sense" comment where he is basically challenging INEOS to keep him despite everything pointing towards his ineptness. Getting desperate with each passing day. Starting to feel sorry for him. He is simply not good and failing so miserably after getting all the players he wanted must be a big dent on his ego.

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
There certainly has to be a possible result tomorrow that is considered “sack-worthy”.

5-0 loss? 10-0? What do you think the line is and how have we not crossed it yet?
Any result tomorrow is down to players, Glazers and coaches, and has nothing to do with ETH.

Revan

Assumptionman
Any result tomorrow is down to players, Glazers and coaches, and has nothing to do with ETH.
Indeed. If only the players would not be trying to sack him and instead follow his directions, we would win the Cup same as how we won the Cup last season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Indeed. If only the players would not be trying to sack him and instead follow his directions, we would win the Cup same as how we won the Cup last season.
We(they)? He won the cup.

stevoc

Rangnick didn't have a team. He identified a lot of problems but the board didn't give him a dime for that January window.

Noone was willing to perform for him then because they knew he was gone at the end of the season. Same is happening for ETH now
No one is performing for him? How so?

Sarni

Players did not win the cup last season. ETH won a cup and a trophy.

Ole'sgunnarwin

The thing I can't stand about this man is using narrative statistics.

'We kept the most clean sheets last year'
Yes but we conceded 7 vs Liverpool, 6 vs City, 4 vs Brentford etc

'We've only lost three times in 2024, so things are going well.'

I think we've won one in 9 and our performances have been shameful over the past 2 months.

Arsenal are on +60, while we're on -3 and he's painting out that things are going well.

The injuries excuse is nonsense too, there are three teams who've had worse injuries than us and 8/9 of our first choice players have been mostly fit.

Jezpeza

:lol:

He really wants to stay next season. This is the second time after the "common sense" comment where he is basically challenging INEOS to keep him despite everything pointing towards his ineptness. Getting desperate with each passing day. Starting to feel sorry for him. He is simply not good and failing so miserably after getting all the players he wanted must be a big dent on his ego.

No doubt the cultists with a daddy complex will lap it up as some sort of defiance...but this is pathetic.
We are about to have our worst PL season in history. Lowest finish probably, negative goal difference, no european football, record defeats, record goals conceded. Bottom of a champions league group containing FC Copenhagen and Galatasary. Our best available 11 spanked 3-0 at home in the league cup by Newcastle C team. And looking at expected points it should be even worse. We’re lucky to only be this bad.

We’ve been dogshit to watch, cant score, cant defend.

Then we get told we just know nothing about football, he’s amazing and then some cultists chip in with ‘if we had martinez and Shaw available this season we’d have 90 points’.

Cant stand the bloke, he’s a total loser and incredibly arrogant with nothing to back it up. I just think he’s a total narcissist in denial at this point. He should have had his P45 in October yet somehow he is still here. It actually looks at this point like we will have to watch him tank the FA Cup final as well but I am still quietly confident he’ll be sacked within a short time of that game ending

Max_United

Unless we somehow manage to get a result, of course - then it will be 100% credit to EtH and zero credit to everyone else.

I find it amazing how many people are forgetting the primary purpose of this club - to make the Manager look good and further his career objectives. Instead they are focusing on completely unimportant things like results, trophies and playing style.

Rista

You can feel the desperation in those comments. He has recently been doubling down on blaming everyone and everything but himself. Does not sound like a man who's been told he's staying.

Describing domestic cup finals as "great achievements" is absolutely embarrassing. And then he has the nerve to talk about how "massive" club we are.

JPRouve

Scout
In Arteta's first two years they had a half-season of abysmal results and three half-seasons of decent ones.
Beyond that are we talking about clubs that were in a similar situation? If you compare a 5 years period and include each managers first years that's what you get:

United: 6th, 3rd, 2nd, 6th, 3rd.
Arsenal: 2nd, 5th, 6th, 5th, 8th.

The last season is each managers first season. Is it fair to state that the core of each squad wasn't at a similar level and that expectations should not be the same?

Revan

Assumptionman
I find it amazing how many people are forgetting the primary purpose of this club - to make the Manager look good and further his career objectives.
Amen to that.

In order to achieve that, we should be very patient. For example, if we are patient enough to fire all the players and EtH‘a staff several times until we get the best in class in everything, EtH might win us matches. So all we need is patience and trust in the manager, so he can give us the chance to observe his greatness.

Let’s trust the manager instead of being knee-jerk and calling for heads.

Marching On!

These Arteta comparisons have to stop.

Arsenal was his first managerial appointment, and he was what, 37? Guys like Alonso are the exception, of course it’ll take time for him to settle in.

This isn’t Ten Hags first rodeo. He’d already managed 326 games at Utrecht and Ajax before coming here at 52. You’d think that experience would count for something, that it would give him the knowledge to know how to either set up basic tactical structures within the team, or if they’re absent, be able to resolve them.

He’s done neither. He’s becoming more and more unlikeable with every interview he does as he absolves himself of all blame ready for his next job.

It’s not a prerequisite but let’s be honest, Spanish managers are cut from a different cloth. Name me a Dutch manager in the last 15 years who has been at the top of the football world?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The thing I can't stand about this man is using narrative statistics.

'We kept the most clean sheets last year'
Yes but we conceded 7 vs Liverpool, 6 vs City, 4 vs Brentford etc

'We've only lost three times in 2024, so things are going well.'

I think we've won one in 9 and our performances have been shameful over the past 2 months.

Arsenal are on +60, while we're on -3 and he's painting out that things are going well.

The injuries excuse is nonsense too, there are three teams who've had worse injuries than us and 8/9 of our first choice players have been mostly fit.
He takes the fans for idiots (although many lap this stuff up).

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
We are about to have our worst PL season in history. Lowest finish probably, negative goal difference, no european football, record defeats, record goals conceded. Bottom of a champions league group containing FC Copenhagen and Galatasary. Our best available 11 spanked 3-0 at home in the league cup by Newcastle C team. And looking at expected points it should be even worse. We’re lucky to only be this bad.

We’ve been dogshit to watch, cant score, cant defend.

Then we get told we just know nothing about football, he’s amazing and then some cultists chip in with ‘if we had martinez and Shaw available this season we’d have 90 points’.

Cant stand the bloke, he’s a total loser and incredibly arrogant with nothing to back it up. I just think he’s a total narcissist in denial at this point. He should have had his P45 in October yet somehow he is still here. It actually looks at this point like we will have to watch him tank the FA Cup final as well but I am still quietly confident he’ll be sacked within a short time of that game ending
That he is still here despite us having a dog turd of a season has given him a false sense of security. He thinks that he has been able to sell the injury excuse despite a 100 other things amplifying his incompetence. INEOS' middle of the season takeover is the only reason he is still here and gets to spout his nonsense without any reservations. Otherwise he'd been fired 5 times by now. Can't wait for the season to end. Have to keep reminding myself it's only 2 more weeks. Two more weeks.

crossy1686

career ending
He should get one more year. Otherwise, it's just another cycle and another manager these players have gotten sacked. The players need to be sacked, not the manager.
I love how this only applies to United and yet West Ham, Forest, Bournemouth, Sheffield United, Palace and maybe Chelsea have all sacked their managers but only at United is it the players who are to blame.

Rista

I love how this only applies to United and yet West Ham, Forest, Bournemouth, Sheffield United, Palace and maybe Chelsea have all sacked their managers but only at United is it the players who are to blame.
You can tell from these responses people are still desperately hoping for another Ferguson. Anything else is inconceivable. People can't imagine it's mostly a normal cycle in football. We've been badly run, mostly recruited poorly including the managers, we've had some ups and downs throughout these years. But people still have this idea that you find that one manager, the messiah, and you're set. And whenever bad results happen, it's obviously the players letting the manager down. It just can't be that the manager is doing a bad job because he did well once 5 years ago for another club. Same posters who say "he can't be a bad coach when he had a good last season" want Rashford kicked out of the club.

Cecc

The amount of overreaction here.... What did you expect him to say. You guys are looking way to much at these press conf. Every manager is facing stupid, boring questions week after week out it happing from time to time someone to say something which is not liked by the fans. It doesn't matter. What matters is the team start performing on the pitch. I hope we have a good game today.

Sarni

You can tell from these responses people are still desperately hoping for another Ferguson. Anything else is inconceivable. People can't imagine it's mostly a normal cycle in football. We've been badly run, mostly recruited poorly including the managers, we've had some ups and downs throughout these years. But people still have this idea that you find that one manager, the messiah, and you're set. And whenever bad results happen, it's obviously the players letting the manager down. It just can't be that the manager is doing a bad job because he did well once 5 years ago for another club. Same posters who say "he can't be a bad coach when he had a good last season" want Rashford kicked out of the club.
It’s as if there’s something special about the club which is going to turn struggling, mediocre managers into world class coaches if only they are given plenty of time. The single biggest issue I have with this notion is that it diminishes Ferguson’s achievements, implying they were not a result of his work, talent and character but were simply a result of the time being allowed to him, and any coach - including EtH or Moyes - will be able to get similar results if you do the same with them.

MadMike

He should get one more year. Otherwise, it's just another cycle and another manager these players have gotten sacked. The players need to be sacked, not the manager.
How some people cannot wrap their heads around a squad changing over time and not being the same players really baffles me. Like once you put on the red jersey, you’re Johnny United the same player since 2013 or something.

The players who have performed the worst are the ones he has signed. These players have not got anyone else sacked at United. And if they are to be sacked, the person responsible for bringing them and coaching them needs to go with them.

There is no rational arguments for ETH keeping his job, only emotional/irrational ones.

Sarni

How some people cannot wrap their heads around a squad changing over time and not being the same players really baffles me. Like once you put on the red jersey, you’re Johnny United the same player since 2013 or something.

The players who have performed the worst are the ones he has signed. These players have not got anyone else sacked at United. And if they are to be sacked, the person responsible for bringing them and coaching them needs to go with them.

There is no rational arguments for ETH keeping his job, only emotional/irrational ones.
Actually the players he had inherited - mainly Maguire, McTominay, Bruno and Rashford (last season) - are the ones keeping him in the job.

despairingfool

Arsenal, Newcastle, Brighton, Man City remaining. We've lost to all these teams 6 times this season. I don't see us winning any of them. Yet ETH will blame injuries. Bit farcical to blame injuries when you send Sancho, Pellestri, DVB out on loan, cancel Reguilon loan deal and continue to play Antony and not give Amad a sustained chance. And play suicidal tactics leaving the midfield wide open. And buying Onana, mount, Antony for vast sums of money when they've been utter crap. He has only himself to blame for the poor squad he has assembled and falling out with players eg Sancho. Can a journalist not corner him on this? It hasn't worked out, sack him immediately. Get an interim in for the rest of the season. We're 8th FFS.

Chairman Steve

If we were playing well but still getting the same results, I could understand the dilemma. But we’re not.

We’re playing horribly and actually getting worse despite having much less games to worry about. You’d think when we’re down to basically one game a week after the embarrassing way we got knocked out of Europe, they’d go back to the drawing board and work on stuff, but if anything the team look worse.

ETH has massively stagnated this year after spending millions and having more time with the squad. It’s been really worrying since that opening game against Wolves. That game raised massive red flags that should have been immediately addressed. The entire football environment saw how awful we were and commented on it, yet here we are in May and we’re still playing that same kamikaze way.

The whole injuries thing to me has gone past the point of bad luck, and moved into questioning the coaching now. The injuries are way too occurrent to be just bad luck.

He really isn’t doing himself any favours by persisting with this style of play, even with INEOS now hovering above, which makes me think he knows he‘s a goner but is doing it so he can say that we didn’t fully adapt to his ways.

JPRouve

Scout

In theory there are rational arguments but unfortunately his actions and his recent interviews destroyed them. In principle any manager can get it wrong, they all have at some point but the key for more time is to recognize your short comings and pledge to fix them. When a manager blames everything other than the things he controls and pretend that his decisions are not an issue then what are we left with? What exactly is the benefit of keeping someone that is unwilling to have a positive impact, if I need to change everything why not also change him and bring someone that is more than a personal shopper?

Since we use Klopp as one of the benchmarks, the reason he has been given time and a lot of resources is because he tries to make good use of both, he adds value.

johndurham49

That he is still here despite us having a dog turd of a season has given him a false sense of security. He thinks that he has been able to sell the injury excuse despite a 100 other things amplifying his incompetence. INEOS' middle of the season takeover is the only reason he is still here and gets to spout his nonsense without any reservations. Otherwise he'd been fired 5 times by now. Can't wait for the season to end. Have to keep reminding myself it's only 2 more weeks. Two more weeks.
Agreed. I do feel ETH should shoulder the blame though I also feel the players should be able to also motivate themselves wearing our red jersey. I feel there's not just management issues, there's something not right that hasn't really been in existence since SAF left. Our style of play dropped rapidly and under good managers. What that something is I don't know. Our current team have some potentially good youngsters including Mainoo, Garnacho, Hoijlund, etc but there's no good, experienced players in the team/squad they can look to for inspiration as Andy Cole has stated recently. I feel under ETH we had a 'false' first season and everyone thought (as we did under Ole after the PSG game) this was a turning point. It's turned out to be a second season slump (yep we've had incredible injuries but even so...) like, for instance, Brighton. At the moment I really wish, before every game, that we can do something special but it never emerges (especially after we go one goal up)...
The answer? I don't know. But some blame has to go with ETH. However, we need to be careful who we bring in to replace (if this is going to be the case) ETH. It could just keep running on and on if that 'something' that isn't right' isn't addressed
Who we get in to replace has to, in my humble opinion, make forward steps in doing what SAF did (one of the reasons he was still in his position after 4 years of drought) and that's to look at the club not just the first team. We have some great young starlets who could do a job given the chance but we need top address this from management
I have supported us since '76 and have not seen issues as big as this in that time and I'll always support us whatever happens but some positive changes need to happen and I'm afraid that means replacement in players and in management

stevoc

It’s as if there’s something special about the club which is going to turn struggling, mediocre managers into world class coaches if only they are given plenty of time. The single biggest issue I have with this notion is that it diminishes Ferguson’s achievements, implying they were not a result of his work, talent and character but were simply a result of the time being allowed to him, and any coach - including EtH or Moyes - will be able to get similar results if you do the same with them.
That's exactly what it does, there was someone in here last week or the week before implying just that. Ferguson wasn't that special on his own, United gave him the time and platform to become as good as he did. Completely ignoring the fact he was very successful before coming to United.

NLunited

Guardiola adjusted for every single squad that he has had. His Barcelona, Bayern and the various versions of City squads all work differently. The only thing that they have in common is the 6 seconds rule, everything else is tailored to what his players are good at and to weaknesses that he needs to hide. The same is true for Klopp, Klopp went from an aggressive gegenpress with an extremely high line to heavy possession because it was the best way to maximize his players, he also went from having a preference for a single creative hub to creating a system where creation is shared which is a stark difference to his Dortmund days or the first year with Liverpool.

That's why in my opinion it's a very bad idea to compare ETH to actually elite managers because they all expose the issue with ETH. In spite of the fact that they all have a style attached to their name or a tactical setup, every single one of them has adapted quickly and heavily to their players, their only obsession is to maximize what they have. And we are talking about people that actually had success with their previous setups.
Umm no not at all. Pep replaced his players quickly and Klopp still plays the same style generally.

We have an injury riddled squad that isn‘t capable of playing any style convincingly at the moment. Except for plan Z (zombie football).