g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Von Mistelroum

It's quite surprising just how our standards have fallen. I can't imagine another top club allowing a manager to embarrass the club over and over, setting new records in incompetence weekly, and just blindly sticking with him regardless.

Keeping EtH next season (and I think we will) would indicate that we do not have the ambition we once had, and that hoping for a few new faces to boost us into top 4 contention is all they really want.

His tactics and substitutions are baffling to pretty much everyone. His complete delusion just puts the cherry on the cake.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Because you can have all the pieces but if you keep insisting on a system that simply isn't sustainable in the PL and you're unwilling to adapt to what's happening then it doesn't matter what help he gets. If he's decided this is how we're going to play no matter what then we might as well not bother with the structure. He's already said we can't possibly play like Ajax, and that we can't play football because he didn't get De Jong, so unless INEOS are going to hand him De Jong we're pretty fecked aren't we?
We adapted today.

Better recruitment alone would be a huge driver of future success. Imagine singing some physically and technically gifted players for CB, CDM, LB and ST for example. How lovely would it be to be able to say “Rasmus, you’re 20 and came to us injured, take your time, learn the system, the league and get stronger while our experienced ST supports.

Or Kobbie, we think you’re great but you’re 18/19 and we don’t want you to be fecked due to overplaying. So we’re happy to rest you while this competent and similar profiled players takes some of your minutes without a huge drop off.

Or Shaw, we know you can’t play 100% of the mins in the PL so here’s an understudy we think is good enough to still provide those overloads but is also happy to tuck inside from time to time.

Look at how many players City turned over to get to where they are today. Was that all Pep’s doing?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You're so desperate for credibility that you've resorted to changing your stance to "trusting whatever ineos does".

Just hiding behind Ineos.
I'm not desperate for shit. If you read my post instead of quoting the opening sentence, you can see what the end goal was.

In this made up scenario, do they give him a new contract or just let him go into next year with one year left on his current deal?
Just going into next season to prove himself. Nothing more.

I think it's unlikely personally, but just wanted to ask.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Do you really think I'm carefully placed on the fence? I'm one of the most staunch defenders of his, but even I see logic behind a sack.

I get idiots tagging me 24/7, I don't think I'm trying to do anything. I think he's still broadly a good coach but that's not enough. People want his career burried in posts :lol:
Have you placed a vote in this current poll?

Atheist

Re: no other qualified candidates available. When Mourinho was about to be sacked, was that a consideration? We ended up going for Ole but I’m lot sure there were many other elite/promising managers available

mu4c_20le

I'm not desperate for shit. If you read my post instead of quoting the opening sentence, you can see what the end goal was.
"If the Ineos hired professionals keep him, then I'm not bloody insane!"

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Better today, didn’t throw the kitchen sink at it like we usually do. We should’ve played more conservatively than we have this season, considerably so.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Have you placed a vote in this current poll?
I genuinely can't remember. I don't place value into polls because it's easy to forget tracking sentiment on a poll. I think I voted once and left it.

KeanoMagicHat

United need 4 points from the last 2 games to avoid worst ever points total, +4 goals to avoid worst goal difference. Most losses ever in a PL season. And somehow the current points total flatters United. Honestly could be 5-6 points worse easily. Yet people will still make excuses for this clown show.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I genuinely can't remember. I don't place value into polls because it's easy to forget sentiment.
It’s easy enough, do you want him here next year or have you seen enough and want him fired?

crossy1686

career ending
Just going into next season to prove himself. Nothing more.

I think it's unlikely personally, but just wanted to ask.
Then I would see that as them wanting to get in the door, sit down and plan together as to who the next manager will be with the aim of replacing Ten Hag as soon as they identify the ideal candidate. I don't think that situation benefits Ten Hag and I don't think it would improve things within the playing squad knowing that the manager is running down his final year, we can't keep starting seasons badly, and for those reasons, along with the diabolical season we've just had, I think they'll fire him after the cup final. Clean break, fresh start. New manager gets a preseason and summer to plan with the incoming structure and INEOS.

soapythecat

Actually that’s a good question, if on the other hand they end up getting rid of him after FA Cup final will you think they are a bunch of idiots because they cannot, like you, see all the redeeming values in him and recognize that this seasons failures are in no way his fault?
Who’s fault are they then? Must be the Glazers who set the team up in such a poor way every team has had no problem scoring and walking through us with ease, eh?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
United need 4 points from the last 2 games to avoid worst ever points total, +4 goals to avoid worst goal difference. Most losses ever in a PL season. And somehow the current points total flatters United. Honestly could be 5-6 points worse easily. Yet people will still make excuses for this clown show.
I’m not sure who West Ham have next but a win will see them finish above us if we lose our last 2, which is probably likely

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It’s easy enough, do you want him here next year or have you seen enough and want him fired?
As much as I personally want him to turn it around I think someone like Tuchel on a shorter deal is a better way to go. The latter is a lesser risk option, established pedigree and will go back to at least keeping us solid at the back.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Your whole argument is completely flawed.

No previous managers have had this structure in place, yet they performed better than Ten Hag. Therefore why should we want this best in class structure to support a mediocre manager? Why not bring back Mourinho or LVG and let them benefit from the new structure?
It’s not, yours is though because rather than actually accept the situation the entire club has been in, poor and well below par sporting structures, a leaky Old Trafford, poor training facilities (see Ronaldo comments), money being wasted (by our negotiators) you just think the problem is the manger.

Ten Hag had a very good first season. And was the fastest manager to 50 wins in our history. He’s then had an injury ridden second season and performances and results have suffered more recently since not having any half decent CB available.

We need a best in class structure regardless of manger my point is I don’t think that you could even put Sir Alex, Guardiola or any other manger into “modern” United and be near to City in the league because we don’t have the right structure anymore for success.

Most people believed Ten Hag did a good job last season. This one has been rubbish. But how confident are you that it’s solely him to blame?
Fortunately for me, each week, multiple times a week, United play out very public games of football and have lots of coverage of what's happening behind the scenes. He won't be here next season so the point is irrelevant, and then what does that say about my understanding of the situation and INEOS?
So you believe watching 90 mins of football and listening to Sky or whoever else makes you better qualified to understanding the complexities of modern football clubs?

I'm not trying to trap him.

I'm just seeing so many posts that belittle a school of thought that might want to give him time. I'm assuming the same people would belittle more qualified people if they were to ever land on the same conclusion, or, perhaps they would concede there was more at play than they thought.

In other words I want to know how stubborn they really are.
You won’t get a serious answer of “well of course if they decide to stick I’d have to trust their judgment over my own because I’m objectively not more qualified and don’t have access to as much information pertinent to making such a decision” because that would be some semblance of defeat or acceptance or god knows how else it will be labelled.

The reality is none of us know how bad or good he’s done in the full context of the inner workings of the club and none of what any of us believe is of any consequence.

Accepting that this decision will be made one way or another and we have no influence over it is the most rational and I believe least stressful way to look at this.

sepulturite

I genuinely can't remember. I don't place value into polls because it's easy to forget tracking sentiment on a poll. I think I voted once and left it.
You don't need to remember, it says it at the top of the page whether you have or haven't.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We also could be 8 pts better off. If we didn’t concede late goals to Chelsea, late goal to Burnley, late goal to Liverpool, late goal to Fulham. Not to mention a few of them being penalties.

mu4c_20le

If INEOS did keep him, I guess they are insane with me, right?
There is a very slim chance that could happen. There is also a very very slim chance that if we give him time + backing, he could turn into SAF. But we must be realistic.

Id trust them to know what they're doing, but it's going to be VERY questionable if they keep him now.

soapythecat

Adds nothing to the discussion
Seems like the **** are out in force tonight. Must be stoked after only losing 0-1 at OT rather than more than 3. Maybe this is the progress ETH has been telling us we must trust. This time next season…

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Then I would see that as them wanting to get in the door, sit down and plan together as to who the next manager will be with the aim of replacing Ten Hag as soon as they identify the ideal candidate. I don't think that situation benefits Ten Hag and I don't think it would improve things within the playing squad knowing that the manager is running down his final year, we can't keep starting seasons badly, and for those reasons, along with the diabolical season we've just had, I think they'll fire him after the cup final. Clean break, fresh start. New manager gets a preseason and summer to plan with the incoming structure and INEOS.
But we shouldn’t concern ourselves as to whether or not this suits Ten Hag.

My genuine view here is don’t give him a contract extension but keep him and allow exactly as you describe to happen. Get the best brains available in football together to decide long term strategy and see who is the best manager for that. All the while having an easy to replace candidate in the door whose job will be on the line if he doesn’t do what the new guys want him to do.

It absolutely doesn’t suit Ten Hag but we should never be about one manager at this club. We should have a clear footballing vision that means when we sack Ten Hag or whoever else in future we know the next guy coming in is going to continue the vision not tear it up for tiki takka or giant Fellaini ball or cross gate with Moyes or Ole Ball or whatever chaos ball.

We need a clear and coherent identity and structure that a consistent flow of players from the academy and supplemented by our transfer dealings is well suited to.

And that takes time so id rather not rush the first managerial appointment of that era.

AndyMUFC

Let's see if Amad and Amrabat actually play on Wednesday after having decent games today.

Based on past experience, I suspect they won't if a couple of players are back from injury, and that's another reason why I don't think he really deserves more time.

TheGame

Seems like the **** are out in force tonight. Must be stoked after only losing 0-1 at OT rather than more than 3. Maybe this is the progress ETH has been telling us we must trust. This time next season…
It’s posts like this why this whole thread is a shitshow. As soon as you dare to offer any different opinion, you are called a *******. It’s a fecking cheap jibe and shows certain posters. can’t debate the points raised. Pathetic stuff.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If INEOS did keep him, I guess they are insane with me, right?
If they keep him, and we do badly next season, they are insane. If they keep him, and we start well, then they’re not. It’s a gamble and only they will know if they feel it’s worth taking. Both the people INEOS hired and Ten Hag need to show us they are good enough for a club like United.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
You’re completely missing the point, arguing against a position that doesn’t exist, and lowering the tone and quality of this thread with this post.

Who do you mean by “the ****” let’s tag them or talk to them and see if we can debate their views together because i can’t find anyone “stoked” by tonight’s result. Can you? Please tag them or quote their post.

sepulturite

It’s posts like this why this whole thread is a shitshow. As soon as you dare to offer any different opinion, you are called a *******. It’s a fecking cheap jibe and shows certain posters. can’t debate the points raised. Pathetic stuff.
As I said in another post in here there's a few that need to follow @el3mel out the door.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We also could be 8 pts better off. If we didn’t concede late goals to Chelsea, late goal to Burnley, late goal to Liverpool, late goal to Fulham. Not to mention a few of them being penalties.
We have had way more games where we were lucky to get the points than games in which we were unlucky to drop points. Even in the list above we could have easily lost both Burnley and Liverpool games, should not have got got 4 point away to them and fluked a win at Fulham big time.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You don't need to remember, it says it at the top of the page whether you have or haven't.
I dont think you quite got what I mean, I don't care for polls beyond a quick click. If it's that easy for someone to check, why would they even ask me? They could see it themselves

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If they keep him, and we do badly next season, they are insane. If they keep him, and we start well, then they’re not. It’s a gamble and only they will know if they feel it’s worth taking. Both the people INEOS hired and Ten Hag need to show us they are good enough for a club like United.
This is about the most reasonable and rational response I've heard. I don't need to know whether you're ten hag in or ten hag out, it's just a simple way of looking at a hypothetical. Cheers.

@crossy1686 - this was the rational response.

sepulturite

I dont think you quite got what I mean, I don't care for polls beyond a quick click. If it's that easy for someone to check, why would they even ask me? They could see it themselves
No I mean it's easy for you to check, if you have voted in it there will a little tick next to what you voted, so even if you can't remember voting it doesn't matter because it's easy to check it

TheGame

Yep fully agree. This is the crux of the matter and there will be lots of debate behind the scenes by INEOS on it.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
And that’s exactly how the narrative would go in this hypothetical.

But people are scared to admit that for some reason?

Like Ten Hag could start next season without any injuries and with on paper the best possible signings at CB, CDM, LB and ST and we could be awful and then I’d be like “I think Ten Hag needs replacing” and I’m sure a few on here would give me pelters for it.

But equally the above could happen and we could start looking better and I could say something positive in this thread and be told “You just got lucky” or whatever.

And no one knows which will happen.

So we may aswell relax and just see what happens in the summer.