Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

LordSpud

I just hope if he does end up staying and dragging the club out of the mud some of you (most) don't celebrate with him.

sparx99

The issue is that the performances are somehow worse than the results.

If we were developing a decent playing style and it was just unsuitable players and the injuries that had cost us a lot of points, I'd be much more forgiving and open to him staying on even if we'd had the exact same results. It'd be understandable and there would be every reason to think that we'd improve and become more consistent as we signed more players and the current players grew into the system (such as Klopp and to a lesser extent Arteta had). But in reality, we're only as high as we are because of individual player quality and the opposition not bringing their finishing boots. Our playing style is unbelievably naive and poor, and it's not an exaggeration to say that we look like one of the worst, if not the worst, coached team in the league. Based on performances and expected points (if the expected goals scored and conceded in each game actually came to pass) we'd be in 15th. 15th! Over the last third of the season the results have started reflecting the performances and we actually are in 15th/16th since mid-February and we'll likely drop even lower over the next two games.
I do agree we look truly awful every week and ETH's press conferences sound deluded when we do win. I don't really buy the xG & xPts stat when used in that way but there is no doubt we are a very poor team.

Trying to understand what we are attempting to do this season feels impossible. As other posters have pointed out I can't think of any team that deliberately stretches vertically in the way that we do. Low block and counterattack or high press and high defensive line have been footballing conventions for a long time. I've seen it mooted and it feels like the only thing that makes sense is this idea that the attacking players are being pushed up to work on the high press (and learn those patterns) with the idea that after signing quicker defenders we will push the defense up next season. There is no real evidence for that outside of us nearly selling Maguire and being linked to Todibo, Yoro and other younger, quicker defenders. Given that it hasn't helped us be solid playing so deep I don't really understand why you wouldn't just push the defenders up and accept the goals from balls in behind instead. Onana could sweep up some through balls anyway.

Even if that was the case it doesn't excuse the poor attacking play. We don't seem to produce quality chances for any of the players and the system just seems to allow the wide players to shoot from whichever ludicrous position they are in.

stevoc

If we aren't good enough to win anything does it matter if we finish 2nd or 8th? If a painful five years of transition is the price then I will gladly pay it. Southgate is just a step backwards.
Well it matters massively for the clubs finances and existing/potential sponsorship deals. More money and CL football to offer means you can attract a higher calibre of player.

We can't just say we'll take a break from competing (or tying to) for 5 years to work on something.

LordSpud

This fanbase needs to get it through their thick skulls that's it's okay for us to keep sacking managers until we land on the right one. It's what Chelsea have been doing for over a decade and they've won more than we have in the last decade.

It's romanticism plain and simple, a desire for us to return to being the club we were under Ferguson. Those days aren't coming back.
For every Chelsea theres a Watford or a Palace.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The thing that is missing here is context, though. You can't compare a team to a player, because a team doesn't remain the same(neither does a player, really). Our team this season, where these statistics are coming from, has been ridiculously different from week to week. So you can't really say that we will revert to the mean, because these stats have come from an anomalous period. If the team was settled this would be a far stronger argument.
Our stats have actually been consistent all season, regardless of the team we had out there. There’s nothing anomalous about it unless you believe the entire season to be anomalous. We have been very open from game 1 until now, with full team healthy and with half of the team out. Haven’t really adjusted aside from select few games here and there.

We are currently 10th or 11th best team in England.

stevoc

I agree with every word you say but there is an inherent contradiction here. If the manager is not the key determinant of success or failure in a well run club, then why do you think he is in a badly run club?
At United post SAF we've basically just wanted every new manager to be Fergie. Be a head coach, head of recruitment and director of football all rolled into one. Because that's what Fergie did for us and he could do that because he was a genius. It's why the clubs structure hadn't modernised by the time he retired. We didn't need people in those other roles, but the mistake the Glazers made was they expected a new manager to be able to do this. But there isn't another Fergie out there and likely never will be. So our success and failure depended entirely on one man the manager.

In a well run outfit the position of manager become less important. It doesn't mean it's still not important to get a top coach who fits the club/players/philosophy but it just means that sacking a coach and hiring a new one become less of a wrench and doesn't cause as much upheaval as it has doen at United the last decade.

erikcred

I just hope if he does end up staying and dragging the club out of the mud some of you (most) don't celebrate with him.
Depends. What does dragging us out of the mud mean? Top-6? Top-4? Title? Tighter defeats against Palace and Bournemouth?

RedC

Our stats have actually been consistent all season, regardless of the team we had out there. There’s nothing anomalous about it unless you believe the entire season to be anomalous. We have been very open from game 1 until now, with full team healthy and with half of the team out. Haven’t really adjusted aside from select few games here and there.
Unless you're talking about a very specific stat like shots conceded here, there is no way all of our major expected stats have remained consistent from game to game this season, regardless of the team selection. That's pretty much impossible with our results list, I would guess.

stevoc

This fanbase needs to get it through their thick skulls that's it's okay for us to keep sacking managers until we land on the right one. It's what Chelsea have been doing for over a decade and they've won more than we have in the last decade.

It's romanticism plain and simple, a desire for us to return to being the club we were under Ferguson. Those days aren't coming back.
Indeed, people waffle on about the time Fergie got in the 80's but they seem to forget that we sacked a manager mid-season who'd won the FA Cup the year before so we could hire Fergie. And the club in fact sacked a series of 5 underperforming managers over the space of 15 years before we found the right man.

Rista

Well it matters massively for the clubs finances and existing/potential sponsorship deals. More money and CL football to offer means you can attract a higher calibre of player.

We can't just say we'll take a break from competing (or tying to) for 5 years to work on something.
This "5 year plan" thing is such nonsense that only we can come up with. Clubs do have long term plans, yes, but nobody plans to be irrelevant for 5 years before it gets better. So we pull off this perfect plan after 5 years and then what, challenge for the league and dominate football forever?

stevoc

Yep United fans shouldn't celebrate the club they support being successful. Makes sense.

Zed 101

If he does stay, and if he does turn it around I will be celebrating, of course I will, that does not make me a hypocrite, it makes me reactive, all I want is for Utd to do well, be entertaining, be successful.... no player or manager comes before the club.

Right now I do not think that ETH has demonstrated he is the right manager to take us forward, if he proves me wrong then we both win there is no contradiction.

Dazzmondo

Why would people not celebrate if the club does well? Hope you never celebrated a player doing well after you criticised one of their performances before

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Still going with the "fans who don't support the manager aren't real fans of the club" rhetoric?

stevoc

This "5 year plan" thing is such nonsense that only we can come up with. Clubs do have long term plans, yes, but nobody plans to be irrelevant for 5 years before it gets better. So we pull off this perfect plan after 5 years and then what, challenge for the league and dominate football forever?
I genuinely don't know. The consensus always seemed to be a new manager given the resources available to them at United. Needed 3-4 years to turn us into title winners. That was the opinion of most fans when we hired Jose, Ole to an extent and certainly when we hired Erik 2 years ago. But now we seem further away than ever, and people not least Ten Hag himself are talking about needing a few years just to get back in the top 4.

croadyman

Most of the stances people use to defend him are bad faith stances and/or arguing against stuff no one ever said

- "he's not the only problem"
- "these same players have let multiple managers down"
- "we've changed managers before, what did that get us?!"
- "next season will surely not be worse than this!" - this one was a favorite mine and an instant classic
- "want him to stay to clear out the deadwood"
- "gave youth a chance"

I'm sure I missed a bunch of the other nonsensical stuff that gets posted here. It's all just fluff really.
Yeah the usual clichés summed up nicely

hobbers

:lol:

Yeah dont worry. If Ten Hag stays and we only lose 18 games next season, instead of somewhere between 19 and 22, I wont be celebrating with him.

But Ten Hag fans can celebrate 20+ defeat seasons so long as their guy isnt sacked, or blamed. Lucky them.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Back in the late 2000s when we were winning everything, there was an Arsenal-supporting poster in here named Pete who would waffle on about how his club was in the middle of a "five year plan" and how they would dominate football when this plan finally came to fruition.

Unsurprisingly, it never happened and everyone ridiculed him for it.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Back in the late 2000s when we were winning everything, there was an Arsenal-supporting poster in here named Pete who would waffle on about how his club was in the middle of a "five year plan" and how they would dominate football when this plan finally came to fruition.

Unsurprisingly, it never happened and everyone ridiculed him for it.
Funnily enough, Arsenal's current 5 year plan is going pretty well after 3 years of complete dross

Revan

Assumptionman
You can't just state that these things are luck, if a striker puts the ball wide from 8 yards, that's not luck. If we score a goal from an unlikely position, that's not luck. Luck is not a term that makes sense if you're talking in statistics.
Isn’t that basically the noise/variance?

We obviously were lucky. We were saying this when we were in the fifth place that we were being very lucky, and it is unsustainable. Guess what, it was unsustainable and now we are 8th (might still finish ninth or tenth).

If you play like a borderline relegation team, and find yourself near UCL zone, do not expect to qualify for UCL. Which is what me, Sarni, Skills etc have been saying for 6+ months now.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That kind of logic exposes the issue with discussions online. If ETH stays and squashes the concerns that he has created then anyone that has a brain should update their view to the new context. There is no virtue in having an opinion and sticking to it for the sake of it, there is also no virtue in building your opinion based on the fear of it being outdated in the future.

NK86

If we aren't good enough to win anything does it matter if we finish 2nd or 8th? If a painful five years of transition is the price then I will gladly pay it. Southgate is just a step backwards.
This is not a venture capital backed start up trying to hoover up market share by driving losses over 5 years to try and become a Unicorn. This is the equivalent of an Apple saying let’s stop manufacturing iPhones till we get the best possible phone ever conceived to be ready to go into production.

A. They will lose their best employees and will not be the attractive option for investors that they are now.

B. That best phone will never come to fruition, ever.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

We obviously were lucky. We were saying this when we were in the fifth place that we were being very lucky, and it is unsustainable. Guess what, it was unsustainable and now we are 8th (might still finish ninth or tenth).

If you play like a borderline relegation team, and find yourself near UCL zone, do not expect to qualify for UCL. Which is what me, Sarni, Skills etc have been saying for 6+ months now.
Colloquially yes. Variance with a positive impact equals luck and variance with a negative impact equals bad luck.

Revan

Assumptionman
I genuinely don't know. The consensus always seemed to be a new manager given the resources available to them at United. Needed 3-4 years to turn us into title winners. That was the opinion of most fans when we hired Jose, Ole to an extent and certainly when we hired Erik 2 years ago. But now we seem further away than ever, and people not least Ten Hag himself are talking about needing a few years just to get back in the top 4.
When you lower the standards, they will continue getting lower. From a few years to winning the title, to a few years to top 4, to a few years to mid table.

The standards should be set that any time you did not build a team challenging for the title within the first two seasons, you have already failed. That’s why I wanted Jose out after his second season despite the second place with 81 points. That’s why I wanted Ole out after his second full season despite getting the second place.

Set very high standards, get good managers, sack them (or put them on pip) if they cannot maintain the standards. The opposite of what we have doing: setting low standards and keeping the managers despite failing at them.

hobbers

When you lower the standards, they will continue getting lower. From a few years to winning the title, to a few years to top 4, to a few years to mid table.

The standards should be set that any time you did not build a team challenging for the title within the first two seasons, you have already failed. That’s why I wanted Jose out after his second season despite the second place with 81 points. That’s why I wanted Ole out after his second full season despite getting the second place.

Set very high standards, get good managers, sack them (or put them on pip) if they cannot maintain the standards. The opposite of what we have doing: setting low standards and keeping the managers despite failing at them.
The standard for any United manager is - they deserve at least 3 seasons and are fine so long as they meet certain minimum requirements (which are now, pathetically, win a cup or qualify for Europa most of the time)

The standards at any top club are - they get a season and if they haven't improved the football and results, then they're fecked off sharpish. And if they improve the team in the first season, they still have to improve again in the second.

Valencia Shin Crosses

That kind of logic exposes the issue with discussions online. If ETH stays and squashes the concerns that he has created then anyone that has a brain should update their view to the new context. There is no virtue in having an opinion and sticking to it for the sake of it, there is also no virtue in building your opinion based on the fear of it being outdated in the future.
This. People act like if ETH stayed and won the title or something next year all of us that want his ass on the street wouldn't be jumping for joy and thrilled at seeing the club back on top. Only simpletons take such absolute stances, anyone with a brain should be able to update their opinion based on new information.

RedC

It's not luck though, is it? You know far more about stats than I do, but a continuously changing environment is an awful thing to try and extrapolate from if you want actual decent information. If we were talking about a more normal season here I would be happy to entertain this train of thought, but unless everyone thinks we will perennially have the sort of injuries and player rotation we've had for a large part of this season, then what is the point of discussing it? This is why these stats are only so useful in a massively dynamic game such as football, the context is lost in them.

Cerberus

It's actually pretty interesting how many people would trust the new DoF and for some reason, Ten Hag too, to sell the entire team and buy a new one. Setting aside the fact that this doesn't happen in reality because it's stupid and unfeasable, but still after this abomination of a season there are still people willing to give Ten Hag a chance to oversee what would be the biggest rebuild in world of football.
It truly doesn't make sense. If you look at the kind of team ETH has been trying to create, it's going to immediately clash with any recruitment head or DoF that has a basic understanding of the Prem. Are we all forgetting about when he pushed to have key transfer decisions and refused to work with Rangnick or when he committed to the idea of playing with two #8's last summer and pushed to sign Mount?

For whatever misguided reason, he's clearly very confident in what type of team he thinks will achieve success and I don't see how he's just going to sit there and accept Ashworth or Wilcox telling him that De Jong lacks the defensive awareness and physicality for a Premier League midfielder. It just seems like a huge conflict waiting to happen. Giving him another season under the new structure is pointless when he's clearly devoted to his transfer philosophy.

Revan

Assumptionman
It's not luck though, is it? You know far more about stats than I do, but a continuously changing environment is an awful thing to try and extrapolate from if you want actual decent information. If we were talking about a more normal season here I would be happy to entertain this train of thought, but unless everyone thinks we will perennially have the sort of injuries and player rotation we've had for a large part of this season, then what is the point of discussing it? This is why these stats are only so useful in a massively dynamic game such as football, the context is lost in them.
Dunno. I watched United games and I thought we were clearly very lucky to be in the position we were. I also saw the xPts/xG and that basically confirmed what I thought, that we were lucky and it was unsustainable. That’s why I was very confident to predict that we will end in mid table when people were saying that we are just x points away from UCL zone.

I still think we are lucky to be where we are. We should be in bottom half of the table. Heck, if we were unlucky instead of lucky, we might have got relegated.

NLunited

Sorry what?

I'm not saying the performance wasn't different or better than the palace game.

I'm obviously referring to Ten Hag claiming the players finally listened to his instructions which is obviously nonsense.
How would you know? It is actually more probable that against Palace, the players didn‘t follow instructions correctly. Casemiro and Evans were caught 1v1 without anyone covering for them.

Palace let us have the ball and picked us off after we lost it. We were a shambles defending those situations because player’s weren’t following instructions.

NLunited

Nah, an exact timeline is irrelevant. We need to change the way we do things no matter how long it takes. Do that and eventually we should get it right. Could be 2-5 years.

How long it takes depends on many things. Which signings we are able to get in, how the manager settles in and how the club overall improves (or not).

We have to make sure we do it right.