Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Valencia Shin Crosses

Fair enough.
As mentioned earlier, let's see if we'll see the real Ten Hag team when every player is fit + new recruitments + a proper board that doesn't have a scattergun transfer approach.
Nah I’m good, I don’t need to burn another season “just to see” and then sack the guy that already showed he was incompetent by Christmas.

r0663664

Worships Man City
ETH is the worst manager that we have hired, no teams is afraid of United home and away. Every team even a championship team will feel they have a fighting chance to beat United and that's worrying. It seems United is now an underdog in most game in PL and critics are hardly surprised that we are beaten and that say a lot of ETH. Injuries are just excuses for ETH, he is out of depth at many levels. Keeping him around is just wasting everybody time. Once the FA cup is over, just sack him immediately. I think the FA will be an embarassing defeat with very little possession and shots on goal.

Last edited:

tjb

But I think there always is scrutiny, from the first game. But most people also recognise that it can take a while to instil a style or play and change attitudes. It's not as easy as coming in and everything instantly changing. Pep took a season, Klopp did. Fergie did. But you seem to think they get half a season and if they're not pulling up trees, they're gone?
For me, I remember LVG and what he did for that initial half season with his 352 experiment. The fact that he was allowed to do it with no pressure said a lot. Other big clubs would have had alarm bells ringing, but instead, as a club that doesn't take action we allowed it to play out. We've had managers have disastrous champions league campaigns, but let it play out.

I'm not saying that the team should be steamrolling, but as a club, we should be able to still play good football regardless of how early in the process we are. We shouldn't expect to have consistently bad football for half a season just because we got a new manager. There should be some form of standard even at the very start of their tenure.

Look at the case with ETH last season, we were poor for the majority of the initial part of the season. The players were blamed, Ronaldo's lack of pressing was blamed...why? Because everyone wanted to believe that other parties except the manager were at fault for poor performances. We're at the end of year 2, and it turns out the manager wasn't as sound as we all hoped he was. We believed he would be, not because of any performance he'd shown us, just hope. That shouldn't be good enough for one of the biggest clubs in the world. It shouldn't be acceptable. Benitez was sacked in 2015 at Madrid, because when assessing him from preseason till October, they realized he wasn't the man for the job. Like any business, you genuinely need to assess if the person you've hired is good enough, and if you realize they aren't, you let them go when you've made that conclusion, instead of wasting precious time.

INEOS have put people in place to supervise the manager and hopefully the keep a close watch on our next manager as early as preseason. I'm tired of seeing our managers get free passes when other clubs are attentive. It's time for us to start being serious again, and not bowing down to public opinion.

Rolaholic

Yeah, that's a load of shit.

To a fault, we are the most patient and forgiving fanbase in European football.
It's not even close, other fanbases start calling for the sack as soon as they go on a poor run the 1st time :lol:

United fans are a managers dream

Pep Guard Yolo

Whatever happens, the guy is going to get a huge severance pay and walk into another job that pays extremely well. This is modern day football!

George The Best

Except he wouldnt be facing the same pitfalls because he (hopefully) wouldnt have overworked the squad to death and he wouldnt have saddled the club with Antony and Mount where key futureproof signings were required. And he wouldnt play a god awful system that leads to hideous football and losing 3-0 to Bournemouth, 4-0 to Palace, conceding 25 shots against fecking Fulham and Luton.

But sure the clown behind this twitter account can make out that ETH faced universal problems of all managers rather than those of his own making, if it helps him feel cleverer than other twitter tacticos.
Antony was a huge and expensive mistake. I disagree about Mount though. England International player and there was a strong possibility we could lose Bruno to an attractive bid. Just unfortunate he’s had an injury riddled season. Can still see Mount being an important member of a re-vitalised squad - if we can strengthen this summer.

Judas

Open to offers
This fanbase is so full of shite. No matter what happens, you have the same ones acting outraged, same ones who wanted him sacked, same ones complaining the clubs is acting too slowly. Seen it so many times.

Max_United

It's not even close, other fanbases start calling for the sack as soon as they go on a poor run the 1st time :lol:

United fans are a managers dream
The other day I just randomly remembered Juande Ramos who won 2 Europa Leagues with Sevilla and finished 3rd in the league with them. Then proceeded to win League Cup with Spurs and had a 17 wins 1 draw over 18 games run at Real Madrid. Both Spurs and Real swiftly fired him though when he started significantly under-performing (after just a year at Spurs and half a year at Real). He did nothing of note in his career afterwards

I imagine he would have been given 2 seasons here no matter how bad it got in the meantime. And a significant part of the fanbase would be blaming players and structure and claiming that his success at Sevilla and early success with us proves that he is great.

The Hilton

I agree. It is bad this has come out. Rumour is that INEOS informed "the club" / The Glazers last week and it has leaked after that.

Lets remember, the same thing happened pre the 2013 FA Cup final. New broke that City were going to replace Roberto Mancini. So its not just MUFC that cant keep news in.
Of course we're not the only club that leaks, but if I remember correctly we were mocking City for those leaks and how classless it was. For comparison with another club we like to claim superiority to, Liverpool were able to keep Klopp's retirement under wraps this season until they chose to announce it. If they're able to be professional about managerial changes, I'd expect us to be able to also. Apparently we still aren't there yet.

stevoc

Of course we're not the only club that leaks, but if I remember correctly we were mocking City for those leaks and how classless it was. For comparison with another club we like to claim superiority to, Liverpool were able to keep Klopp's retirement under wraps this season until they chose to announce it. If they're able to be professional about managerial changes, I'd expect us to be able to also. Apparently we still aren't there yet.
Buut surely you see the difference in these situations?

Liverpool wouldn't need to talk to multiple managers/agents/representatives about Klopp resigning. And the word was that Klopp only went public with his decision when he did because it was about to be leaked. The same thing happened to Ferguson in 2013.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/alex-ferguson-fuming-announce-retirement-earlier-expected-181504

You can't keep these sorts of things secret in this day and age. It's virtually impossible, United can't control what agents or people connected to them tell the press.

Judas

Open to offers
Didn't manage to keep the Slotty news quiet though, did they? I'm expecting barely anyone knew the Klopp news, it's not a fair comparison.

gaffs

The days of United operating better than Liverpool, City or any other club for that matter are long gone. Hopefully that changes in the near future.

Plus, we dont know where the leaks are from. ESPN reported ETH has known since the Arsenal game. Could his side have leaked it? Perhaps build in a ready made excuse?

IIRC, Liverpool and Klopp were forced to announce his leaving because news was about to break.

Judas

Open to offers
He's going to talk so much shite about the club when he gets the boot, even though he knows he's toast. People on here will fall for it because they love nothing more than to slag off the club they apparently support.

MJay

‘No, we already did and on Sunday I will go on holiday — I deserve it,’ replied Ten Hag. ‘It is not necessary (to have assurances), we’ll go for next season.

‘Of course, we are together. Since January, (Ineos) have been part of this club and they want us to win trophies.’

Looks like he really does not know, or they straight up lied to him. With how unpredictable and crazy this season has been, what are the chances this was an end of season, successful attempt to properly weed out the leaks at the club for a fresh start next season, with or without ten Hag? The differences in the journalists' stories are a bit wild, some saying Poch was 100%, now I am reading Poch does not want to speak to United until he agrees on the compensation with Chelsea, the different styles involved with Tuchel being favourite then Mckenna being favourite with strangely specific and slightly bizarre (meeting with Berrada?) information. Of course the main story of him being sacked regardless coming from the loser at the Guardian. Kinda like Wagatha Christie, on steroids..

Blood Mage

This fanbase is so full of shite. No matter what happens, you have the same ones acting outraged, same ones who wanted him sacked, same ones complaining the clubs is acting too slowly. Seen it so many times.
Football fans in being clueless feckwits shocker. Which is why we'd better hope that Ineos are hiring people who know what they're doing and won't just pander to the fans.

astracrazy

He's going to talk so much shite about the club when he gets the boot, even though he knows he's toast. People on here will fall for it because they love nothing more than to slag off the club they apparently support.
Fall for what? What exactly are you scared of hearing apart from the truth?

The clubs a shambles, as pointed out by every manager we have had since Fergie. Every single one hasn't had a good thing to say since leaving, surprisingly even Ole.

It's a bit of a trend.

Judas

Open to offers

The clubs a shambles, as pointed out by every manager we have had since Fergie. Every single one hasn't had a good thing to say since leaving, surprisingly even Ole.

It's a bit of a trend.
Fall for Ten Hag being a victim, or feeling sorry for him. The bloke didn't do his job, he failed. I have no sympathy for him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah if we blindly follow the club line we must be traitors :lol:
What the actual feck sort of a narrative is that. The club has been a shit show and that's a mutually exclusive statement to how bad Ten Hag has been in one season.

astracrazy

Fall for Ten Hag being a victim, or feeling sorry for him. The bloke didn't do his job, he failed. I have no sympathy for him.
I don't have sympathy either, but I don't think we need to look at his performance, or any other ex managers, to see the club is a shambles and has been for a long time.

He will only be joining a line of ex managers who have said the same.

The irony is, we are some how even managing to feck up his sacking on the eve of a cup final....which feels a little bit like we have been here before (LvG). I seem to remember LvG was lied to or lead to believe he was safe as well. Seems this club has learnt nothing.

Shark

@NotShark

It's a bit of a trend.
Which manager is the one that got away? None of them whatsoever. Some of you go on as if being a shambles as a club doesn't also equate to making poor managerial appointments.

Judas

Open to offers
Yeah if we blindly follow the club line we must be traitors :lol:
What the actual feck sort of a narrative is that. The club has been a shit show and that's a mutually exclusive statement to how bad Ten Hag has been in one season.
That's not the "narrative" I'm talking about honey. I'm talking purely about the failure and flop that has been Ten Hag this season. I have zero time for his excuses, we've heard it all at this point.

astracrazy

Which manager is the one that got away? None of them whatsoever. Some of you go on as if being a shambles as a club doesn't also equate to making poor managerial appointments.
What a ridiculous perspective.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That's not the "narrative" I'm talking about honey. I'm talking purely about the failure and flop that has been Ten Hag this season. I have zero time for his excuses, we've heard it all at this point.
You literally said that was the narrative. That people will fall for hypothetically critical words from an ex manager, and you insinuated questioning their support.

I dont need Ten Hag to tell me shit, the club has been a shit show for the last decade. Acknowledging this doesn't make me any less of a supporter of Manchester United.

askMeNice

Can't stand his face near the sideline, one thing that amazes me is first Anthony, then Bruno, now eth PR team talking about fight, pride etc few days before a game. Be silent, crave for blood, die for the shirt when it's necessary, not go public and talking """" like I love the club, we need to fight....prove it, prove it all on the field, you had a year/two and now you play a victim, it's sad, desperate craving, football and all within gas gone to ****, it almost unreal seeing fans/supporters support and crying about this man when it's clear obvious he had plenty opportunity to neglect everything bad, wtf has happened to us? We feel desperate, sad, about this man? He's gonna get millions and still we judge ourselves and say he needs time, for what? What do you see he implemented? We are too soft, too much soft and got unwanted feeling about others because we still hope we will find another Fergie, no, we won't no matter how much we crave and need to stop giving so much opportunity, it's time, 2 years are enough... thanks eTh and wish you all best but it's time to move, and the players...the last opportunity to show themselves before they got a boot in their a***es, we are much much more than this atm .. United!!

Shark

@NotShark
What a ridiculous perspective.
What's a ridiculous perspective? If you can sign piss poor players like Antony as a shambles of a club, you can simultaneously sign mangers out of their depth like David Moyes and the guy getting sacked tomorrow.

Judas

Open to offers
You literally said that was the narrative. That people will fall for hypothetically critical words from an ex manager, and you insinuated questioning their support.

I dont need Ten Hag to tell me shit, the club has been a shit show for the last decade. Acknowledging this doesn't make me any less of a supporter of Manchester United.
We all feel that way! I said the narrative of him not knowing he was cooked and a goner, I never mentioned anything about the state of the club? You did.

EDIT - I see where you're getting confused, but that's not what I meant babe xx

Laurencio

I really hope we've already told him he's going if we're about sack him because if not yikes.
Yeah. If we sack him without having told him anything during the review meetings, and he is expecting to go on a relaxing holiday and continue managing us next season, then that is not a good look at all.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Yeah. If we sack him without having told him anything during the review meetings, and he is expecting to go on a relaxing holiday and continue managing us next season, then that is not a good look at all.
It would be juvenile shit.

If he’s been told he’s going, and he’s still fronting up like this to avoid drama, fair go.

He’s a lovely fella that’s had a properly awful season and deserves to go. Nothing but respect for how he’s conducted himself off the touchline though.

The club need to fully rest on who has information and how they handle it though. This week has been a disaster.