Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 666 44.9%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 816 55.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

el3mel

I liked our attacking patterns yesterday. There were some beautiful key passes and plays in the front third. We're starting to click up front. Hopefully we keep on improving.

Chairman Steve

Think we saw very clearly how he wants to play going forward and that he's made some decisions during the World Cup:

1. McTominay went forward a fair amount when we had an advantage out wide, and if it was Casemiro there we would have had another goal off of more sober passing. Ten Hag has had time now with Casemiro and seen that he's still got the ability to move forward vertically to defence effect like he did with and without the ball for Madrid, he'll be a Makelele style sitter soon, but probably not for a bit longer (let's say 18-30 months which means in 1.5-2.5 seasons)

2. We're probably buying Gapko and you can think of it as Rashford/Martial/Gapko as forwards, 2 of whom will play, then Antony or Garnacho will provide width (though they play on different sides). So basically our 5 attackers (with Sancho to come back at some point) will rotate and my guess is we won't see much of Gapko as a 9 with Antony on the right since we need wingers who are hungry to get in the box and score goals for balance with Gapko looking to stay out of tussles with center backs and we look to switch play extremely quickly and attack behind and either side of fullbacks and let Eriksen, Bruno and Casemiro join attacks down the middle.

3. Lindelof will be kept over Maguire because he's not a headache, he's calmer on the ball, Ten Hag trusts him more on the ball at LCB (and we probably will sign an RCB since Lisandro is young and durable and Varane is neither) and he doesn't mind being 4th choice CB. We'll sign a proper CB who can pass the ball this summer, though outside chance we move Maguire now if a great offer comes in and we get the extra 10M we'd need to spend to sign a quality RCB away in January. He can always go in the summer of 2024 with a new LCB coming in. If anyone has a firm take on who the next Piero Hincapie is, that would be the type of guy.

4. Frimpong is gonna get signed so we have an extremely attacking RB option that gives us width on the right when Antony isn't on the pitch, so when Rashford is out right but playing more as a striker and Gapko or Martial a tad left of center as the nominal 9. Also for the last 20-30 minutes of games, one of Antony (RW) or Frimpong (RB) will be able to come on when we are chasing a game.
Agreed with all that.

I think ETH has managed to get Rashford to play just as good on the right side as he is on the left side. He deserves a medal for that alone as Rashford has been horrific on the right in the past. I can see a player like Frimpong coming in based on those reasons and provide some width to allow the likes of Rashford to cut in more centrally.

We can all hope that Gakpo follows the Henry-Arsenal path of being that pacey, dribbling left forward being forged into an all-round striker, so I can see him and Martial switching frequently from left forward to striker a lot in the short to medium term.

adamwest

I liked our attacking patterns yesterday. There were some beautiful key passes and plays in the front third. We're starting to click up front. Hopefully we keep on improving.
Bruno was the catalyst here. He's really back to the player we first signed.

Herman Toothrot

The fact Fletcher hold the talks with a new manager speaks a lot. Jobs for the boys FC. Not to mention he got 2 promotions in 6 months.
What does this even mean? Do you think the Glazers have a soft spot for ex-players? Were you unhappy with us getting Ten Hag? Is it unusual for former players to play a role at the club once they've left? From everything I've heard from people who are better informed than me, Darren Fletcher comes across as a super-intelligent football obsessive, it's not like they've given the job to some mad cnut like Evra.

Herman Toothrot

Think we saw very clearly how he wants to play going forward and that he's made some decisions during the World Cup:

1. McTominay went forward a fair amount when we had an advantage out wide, and if it was Casemiro there we would have had another goal off of more sober passing. Ten Hag has had time now with Casemiro and seen that he's still got the ability to move forward vertically to defence effect like he did with and without the ball for Madrid, he'll be a Makelele style sitter soon, but probably not for a bit longer (let's say 18-30 months which means in 1.5-2.5 seasons)

2. We're probably buying Gapko and you can think of it as Rashford/Martial/Gapko as forwards, 2 of whom will play, then Antony or Garnacho will provide width (though they play on different sides). So basically our 5 attackers (with Sancho to come back at some point) will rotate and my guess is we won't see much of Gapko as a 9 with Antony on the right since we need wingers who are hungry to get in the box and score goals for balance with Gapko looking to stay out of tussles with center backs and we look to switch play extremely quickly and attack behind and either side of fullbacks and let Eriksen, Bruno and Casemiro join attacks down the middle.

3. Lindelof will be kept over Maguire because he's not a headache, he's calmer on the ball, Ten Hag trusts him more on the ball at LCB (and we probably will sign an RCB since Lisandro is young and durable and Varane is neither) and he doesn't mind being 4th choice CB. We'll sign a proper CB who can pass the ball this summer, though outside chance we move Maguire now if a great offer comes in and we get the extra 10M we'd need to spend to sign a quality RCB away in January. He can always go in the summer of 2024 with a new LCB coming in. If anyone has a firm take on who the next Piero Hincapie is, that would be the type of guy.

4. Frimpong is gonna get signed so we have an extremely attacking RB option that gives us width on the right when Antony isn't on the pitch, so when Rashford is out right but playing more as a striker and Gapko or Martial a tad left of center as the nominal 9. Also for the last 20-30 minutes of games, one of Antony (RW) or Frimpong (RB) will be able to come on when we are chasing a game.
Excellent post. I enjoyed reading that, thank you.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Ajax were braindead for leaking those fake stories, it's as if they forgot their former manager was involved in the transfers at their club.
People like you are braindead for forgetting that people like to embellish their involvement in things. Sure Ten Hag was consulted and he got some players he wanted (mostly rubbish ones), but it was Overmars making the calls and overseeing everything, not Ten Hag.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
People like you are braindead for forgetting that people like to embellish their involvement in things. Sure Ten Hag was consulted and he got some players he wanted (mostly rubbish ones), but it was Overmars making the calls and overseeing everything, not Ten Hag.
Firstly, insult the post not the poster, don't blame me because your club came out of it looking like petulant children. They didn't embellish anything, they lied to the media that selling Antony came out of nowhere and that selling him was never in their plans, ten Hag obviously knew that was bull shit because he was consulted on the matter as he was the Ajax manager, hence why he called them out in it in the quotes listed above.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Ajax were braindead for leaking those fake stories, it's as if they forgot their former manager was involved in the transfers at their club.
Yeah, this makes them look quite bad in retrospect.
Jeez, is this tone necessary?

Also, what was embellished? Are you denying any involvement of Ten Hag in Ajax's transfers? I would say it's very likely that Ten Hag was aware of what was happening at least at a high level, which is all he would have needed to get the information leading to the comments in those tweets.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Yeah, this makes them look quite bad in retrospect.

Jeez, is this tone necessary?

Also, what was embellished? Are you denying any involvement of Ten Hag in Ajax's transfers? I would say it's very likely that Ten Hag was aware of what was happening at least at a high level, which is all he would have needed to get the information leading to the comments in those tweets.
Yes that tone is necessary and being aware isn't the same as being involved.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
But being aware(made aware) is enough to know whether the DOF was expecting to sell a player or not.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Being involved can mean a vast variety of things. Are you claiming that Ten Hag had absolutely zero say (didn't even give his opinion ever) in Overmars-led transfer dealings at Ajax?

Also, the tone is absolutely unnecessary, both because personal insults are not accepted and because the original comment remains valid if you replace 'involved' with 'aware'.

JustKatie

I think he's been excellent. Instantly stamped his mark, cut out players who aren't performing, released Ronaldo who was a disaster this season, sent Sancho to get himself fixed mentally and physically or leave, dropped underperforming players, gave nondescript answers to the press regarding players, got the team working better as a team, brought in players that have worked great for the team.
I love him

Reactions: oates

Waynne

What does this even mean? Do you think the Glazers have a soft spot for ex-players? Were you unhappy with us getting Ten Hag? Is it unusual for former players to play a role at the club once they've left? From everything I've heard from people who are better informed than me, Darren Fletcher comes across as a super-intelligent football obsessive, it's not like they've given the job to some mad cnut like Evra.
Is Darren Fletcher the best in class in his position? Is there no one else available with the experience at an elite sporting organization that can carry out the same duties/tasks?

BuzzKillington

Is Darren Fletcher the best in class in his position? Is there no one else available with the experience at an elite sporting organization that can carry out the same duties/tasks?
What are the duties tasks he carries out? Who are these other people you think are better suited and what do they bring to the role? and which specific tasks that Fletcher currently does would they be better at and why?

Waynne

What are the duties tasks he carries out? Who are these other people you think are better suited and what do they bring to the role? and which specific tasks that Fletcher currently does would they be better at and why?
You're the one bigging up Fletcher in this technical role so surely you must know what his tasks are?

You have the following as sporting directors:
Michael Edwards
Michael Zorc
Txiki Begiristain
Giuseppe Marotta

Who are vastly more experienced in their roles and you're telling me a club like United won't look for this wealth of experience in such an important role? Hence the question by many, what is Darren Fletcher's credentials in such a position at any elite club and how has he landed in such an important role at the club? What experience does he have?

Herman Toothrot

Was a footnote Barcelona midfielder with a questionable doping record the ideal candidate for several key roles at the club? Was a mild-mannered goalkeeper the best-in-class marketing director available to smash it at one of Europe's most iconic clubs? Should Bobby Robson's translator have ever been given the light of day?

The answers will shock you.

Everything I've heard about him, from the people who have backed him and how he presents himself, I've no problem with Fletcher. He's always struck me as an intelligent guy whos been there and seen it all. I don't know how much influence he has, but if it helped bring in Ten Hag, then all good, yeah?

croadyman

What makes you certain on us signing Frimpong

croadyman

Agreed with all that.

I think ETH has managed to get Rashford to play just as good on the right side as he is on the left side. He deserves a medal for that alone as Rashford has been horrific on the right in the past. I can see a player like Frimpong coming in based on those reasons and provide some width to allow the likes of Rashford to cut in more centrally.

We can all hope that Gakpo follows the Henry-Arsenal path of being that pacey, dribbling left forward being forged into an all-round striker, so I can see him and Martial switching frequently from left forward to striker a lot in the short to medium term.
Would love to think Gakpo could make that conversion which Henry managed after a few seasons at Arsenal

Lost bear

I think he's been excellent. Instantly stamped his mark, cut out players who aren't performing, released Ronaldo who was a disaster this season, sent Sancho to get himself fixed mentally and physically or leave, dropped underperforming players, gave nondescript answers to the press regarding players, got the team working better as a team, brought in players that have worked great for the team.
I love him
Agreed. He's an excellent manager. Already.

Bert_

The fact Fletcher hold the talks with a new manager speaks a lot. Jobs for the boys FC. Not to mention he got 2 promotions in 6 months.
Doesn't matter if you rate him or not, he is the technical director. Who else was supposed to do the interviews? The tea lady?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It's like you telling lies about your car to impress a girl in front of your mechanic. Ten Hag knows 100%, in fact he was most likely the first person who knew Antony wanted to leave.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You're the one bigging up Fletcher in this technical role so surely you must know what his tasks are?

You have the following as sporting directors:
Michael Edwards
Michael Zorc
Txiki Begiristain
Giuseppe Marotta

Who are vastly more experienced in their roles and you're telling me a club like United won't look for this wealth of experience in such an important role? Hence the question by many, what is Darren Fletcher's credentials in such a position at any elite club and how has he landed in such an important role at the club? What experience does he have?
Marotta isn't a Sporting director and the rest of the names you've mentioned are/were (Zorc) sporting directors.

And Fletcher doesn't have anywhere near the authority on the football side of the club in comparison to the names you've mentioned, who have the authority to oversee the multiple departments on the football side of the club.

Fletcher's role which has again been highlighted in recent weeks, is one where he oversees the progression of the youth players and decides which of the younger players should train with the first team.

I think it's extremely important to understand the sporting director model and not solely focus on one individual who is the sporting director. Liverpool fans made that mistake with Michael Edwards and wanted him sacked due to him not having the experience in such a role in their view. Some Liverpool fans even started a petition to get him removed after he was blamed for the failed Van Dijk transfer which ended up with Soton reporting Liverpool to the FA.

redNATION

I love him
If he’s backed by the club properly, I think he’ll be our Pep/Klopp. With those two coming to the tail end of their stints and us potentially getting a new owner, there’s finally some light at the end of the tunnel given the clear opportunity for us to move back to pole position in the league.

croadyman

If he’s backed by the club properly, I think he’ll be our Pep/Klopp. With those two coming to the tail end of their stints and us potentially getting a new owner, there’s finally some light at the end of the tunnel given the clear opportunity for us to move back to pole position in the league.
Yeah just hope our new ownership will see he is building something and keep him on

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Yeah just hope our new ownership will see he is building something and keep him on
That's the worry. New owners like their own hires. Wouldnt surprise me of Arnold and Murtough loses their jobs when the new owner comes in. New beginnings/Era and all. May not be immediate but the current management will be given a very short string.

And even if they keep ETH, there are no guarantees that ETH will have the same support he is getting with the new CEO and DOF etc.

Boeley got rid of a CL-winning manager within months of winning Big Ears and offering little support to Tuchel before the sacking. Is Potter that much better than Tuchel? Its just politics.

croadyman

That's the worry. New owners like their own hires. Wouldnt surprise me of Arnold and Murtough loses their jobs when the new owner comes in. New beginnings/Era and all. And even if they keep ETH, there are no guarantees that ETH will have the same support he is getting with the new CEO and DOF etc.

Boeley got rid of a CL-winning manager within months of winning Big Ears and offering little support to Tuchel before the sacking. Is Potter that much better than Tuchel? Its just politics.
Yeah hard not to feel concern about that

croadyman

If its ME owners, they will throw in as much money as possible to get a name-brand manager. Thrown £20m at a Zidane. Perfect synergy from a 360 perspective ie experience, demographics etc.
We might get lucky and they adopt a similar stance to Newcastle with Howe and fully back Erik from the start

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Wasnt Howe like 3rd or 4th choice after a whole bunch of the brand-name managers turned them down?
I think its different, we aren't Newcastle. We're Man Utd.

We already have an elite manager, a good team and the biggest fanbase in the world with revenues other clubs dream of.

We need a stadium revamp, infrastructure, a new hierarchy and some investment into the squad.

I don't think ETH will get the sack, anyone outside looking in, and if the investors come in and get a consultant in they'll know that ETH isn't part of the problem.

sglowrider

I think its different, we aren't Newcastle. We're Man Utd.

We already have an elite manager, a good team and the biggest fanbase in the world with revenues other clubs dream of.

We need a stadium revamp, infrastructure, a new hierarchy and some investment into the squad.

I don't think ETH will get the sack, anyone outside looking in, and if the investors come in and get a consultant in they'll know that ETH isn't part of the problem.
Its sounds all logical. But new management doesn't always think in those terms. It's all about making a splash.

They will need a new CEO to look after and manage their investment, understandably so. Arnold/Murtough are all part of the previous regime, tainted some might say. And indirectly ETH (a hire of the previous fecked up ownership) or at worse they just drip dry him and not support him like what happened to Tuchel.
It wont be unsurprising if this happens. Seen it enough in the corporate world whenever you have a new CEO come in, he brings in his own team -- with even 180 degree change in direction.

sglowrider

No it isn't. It's not hard at all. Why would you spend your time worrying about in theory scenarios that may never ever happen?
What makes you think it may never ever happen? Happened at Chelsea only a few months ago. Besides such theoretical discussions are pretty common in a forum is it not?
Or am I missing something here?

Zen86

New owners won’t axe him for the sake of it, but his position will certainly be under review and if he doesn’t deliver on their expectations he won’t have much leeway. It’s a shame as he deserves time, new owners don’t typically exhibit much patience for appointments by the old regime though.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
New owners won’t axe him for the sake of it, but his position will certainly be under review and if he doesn’t deliver on their expectations he won’t have much leeway. It’s a shame as he deserves time, new owners don’t typically exhibit much patience for appointments by the old regime though.
They won't just come in and put his status as under review when he's our best manager after Fergie. The fans will get the pitchforks out, not the brightest idea. Whoever buys the club must be willing to support Ten Hag for at least one season.