Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Marcelinho87

I don't understand the Flak Murtough and Arnold are getting, at all..

They have taken the reigns from the disastrous Woodward and things are coming together fine, it doesn't happen in seconds, takes ages.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Erik ten Hag getting involved with the u21/reserves is exactly what you want your head coach to do. Because the u21s/reserves are just one step away from first team football, and having the first team head coach guiding the players and coaching staff at that level, can only benefit the young hopefuls who would be better prepared in their understanding of the principles of the head coach at first team level.
Given his own coaching path included a stint with Bayern 2 and his time at Ajax where Jong is a fairly big concern, I think he puts a lot of stock of the internal development pathways.

Really good to see.

Marcus

I can't believe that we finally have a coach who makes our players better. Instead of United being a graveyard for once-promising players. Love it.

AneRu

This is a good thing, a manager who is interested in the reserves means that he is more than prepared to give some of them chances. If one or two make it after Garnacho then we are in good stead in terms of sustainability given that we are broke under the Glazers.

Blends in with the club's ethos too, am only worried if it wont lead to burn out down the road.

Vapor trail

Wait what's wrong with Murtough? These are the people who appointed ETH for god sake, ETH even insulted how the club has been run in his interview and they obviously agreed with him. The worse you can say about Murtough is that he delegates a lot of DoF responsibility to the manager, transfer targets etc, but also this is true before a lot of the shakeup in scouting etc which has come off his own back and it looks to be pretty well regarded.

Look at it this way as well, it wasn't Murtough who spent months chasing De Jong was it, once we moved on to realistic transfers they happened quickly, even if it meant overpaying they got exactly what ETH wanted.
Almost like you are answering your own question. Murtough rallied behind the club getting Ragnick, a footballing hierarchical figure who had minimal first team management experience at the time, that is a poor business decision when the club needed top four. It was cited that Murtoughs previous relations with Ragnick is the reason why his hiring materialised. Nothing more needs to be explained on this basis as Ralf is undoubtedly and statistically the worst manager to have coached United in the clubs recent history. Murtough was said to be a keen supporter of Solskjaer when the momentum for his management criteria was heading south, his lack of discernment is cause for concern. The scatter gun approach United had this summer was also reflective of Murtough's dilligence. Would you see City or Madrid linked with Arnatouvic ? There was absolutely no defined strategy.

The success of ETH is not reflective on Murtough, all things considered the most prominent choices United had for an appointment was Poch who had a dismal period at PSG or ETH who had renown from his time at Ajax. That's two choices of managers not like trying to predict the next breakthrough in the S&P500, stop making out like Murtough picked ETH with some significant wisdom that was not perceivable amongst public perception. ETH was the first choice among many which is well known.

One of the biggest elements that was a strong contributing factor in the failure of managers over the last decade, has been the structure of the club with the key problem being the manager having too much influence. Even if it works periodically as it did with Solskjaer this approach is not sustainable in the long run because the manager cannot guarantee his stay beyond the tide of results (see the issue of recouping the values of Maguire / AWB). The reason why there's been so much deadwood in the squad is a direct result of this very behaviour.

I've seen lots of posts about Murtough both throughout summer and within this season and none of them show any real substance behind anything he's involved with. The re-shaping of the scouting infrastructure cannot be used as a yard stick because United are yet to see the fruit of it.

Weird thing to blame on Murtough, Arnautovic would’ve been a very shrewd signing it has turned out. Not going through with that deal due to fan pressure appears with hindsight to have been pretty fecking stupid. Our chances of top 4 would have greatly increased with him in the squad and I’m sure ETH is gutted it never materialised.

I also doubt any caretaker was doing much with this squad after the embarrassments we’d suffered under Ole, the squad was absolutely shot, as even proven in our first two league games under ETH. We had to fire Ole, but the idea there was some amazing caretaker to come in and turn shit into gold and get us top 4, all whilst we recruited ETH in the background is pie in the sky stuff. In fairness to the club, it was only 2 years prior that RR finished 3rd in the Bundesliga so on paper, it doesn’t seem a terrible caretaker decision at all.

Last edited:

croadyman

I hope who ever takes over would let ETH continue to do his job and even back him more, he has the right ideas and also the tools to implement it. It would be a shame if a Tuchel situation occurs, good thing for ETH he is viewed with high esteem among the fan base, hopefully that would count for something.
Yeah I am praying the owners allow him to carry on this rebuild rather than feel the need to put their own stamp on that side of things

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He's brilliant, the people that proceed him in Murtough and Arnold are where the issues are. If United get competent individuals across the board in the hierarchy it will be brilliant. There's optimism a sale will see the end of Murtough. ETH alongside a very dilligent DOF will be fantastic. City have shown that the structure of the club is more important than just the money. Arsenal are showing this aswell with Arteta / Edu, Pep / Tixi.

More investment around youth prospects relatively unknown will be brilliant. Not just flavour of the month signings similar to the strategy Chelsea are doing it doesn't build a cohesive team.
ETHs statements above literally show murtough in a good light

croadyman

Love him and his shiny bald head. I refer to him as Crystal Maze in my house for anybody who gets the reference.
The best ever presenter and used to scare the contestants by telling them if they aren't out on time this bolt stays firmly in the door

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Just seen someone put on Twitter, the season we get ETH and Casemiro is the season we let pogba go… ‘he’d of flourished with Casemiro behind him’ I commented he’d have to start games first and be fit…

Mr PG

ETH literally saved Man utd and let me explain why.
1. Martinez, Casemiro, Eriksen, Antony, Malacia ...(Martinez would have ended up at Arsenal if not for ETH) ...we had no room for error and had to get the recruitment right.
2. With Arsenal, Newcastle, Tottenham improving massively it was getting to a point they were starting to be more appealing than us football-wise. We were way behind these teams.
3. Getting rid of Ronaldo. Many people don't realize Ronaldo was the problem. Adding a 37 yr old(Who insisted on playing every game) to a counter-attacking team is why Ole's team fell apart. Guaranteeing him starts is why Martial decided to go to Spain and Rashford started sulking...Ole really handled this badly. It says to the other players there's no need to compete for a spot. Don't even get me started about Ronaldo's goals as 9 of his 18 goals in the league came in 3 games...and he can't press either.

Mr PG

I would still go back for Arnautovich btw....I'm still pissed fans broke this deal.

phelans shorts

Almost like you are answering your own question. Murtough rallied behind the club getting Rangnick, a footballing hierarchical figure who had minimal first team management experience at the time, that is a poor business decision when the club needed top four. It was cited that Murtoughs previous relations with Rangnick is the reason why his hiring materialised. Nothing more needs to be explained on this basis as Ralf is undoubtedly and statistically the worst manager to have coached United in the clubs recent history. Murtough was said to be a keen supporter of Solskjaer when the momentum for his management criteria was heading south, his lack of discernment is cause for concern. The scatter gun approach United had this summer was also reflective of Murtough's dilligence. Would you see City or Madrid linked with Arnatouvic ? There was absolutely no defined strategy.

The success of ETH is not reflective on Murtough, all things considered the most prominent choices United had for an appointment was Poch who had a dismal period at PSG or ETH who had renown from his time at Ajax. That's two choices of managers not like trying to predict the next breakthrough in the S&P500, stop making out like Murtough picked ETH with some significant wisdom that was not perceivable amongst public perception. ETH was the first choice among many which is well known.

One of the biggest elements that was a strong contributing factor in the failure of managers over the last decade, has been the structure of the club with the key problem being the manager having too much influence. Even if it works periodically as it did with Solskjaer this approach is not sustainable in the long run because the manager cannot guarantee his stay beyond the tide of results (see the issue of recouping the values of Maguire / AWB). The reason why there's been so much deadwood in the squad is a direct result of this very behaviour.

I've seen lots of posts about Murtough both throughout summer and within this season and none of them show any real substance behind anything he's involved with. The re-shaping of the scouting infrastructure cannot be used as a yard stick because United are yet to see the fruit of it.
That’s a lot of words just to say that you know feck all

BorisManUtd

Win our game in hand and we're 3rd, one point ahead of 4th and five points ahead of 5th.

At the start of the season I'd have snapped your hand off if you'd offered me that position by New Year's Day.
Our game in hand is Palace away, right? Or Leeds at Old Trafford?

phelans shorts

Great insight
You’ve not provided a single piece of evidence for your assertion of somebodies incompetence. The onus of evidence is very much on you (particularly given the successful academy overhaul under Murtough’s lead, the creation of a strong women’s team under Murtough’s lead, the start under this manager hired under Murtough’s lead)

DJ_21

Win our game in hand and we're 3rd, one point ahead of 4th and five points ahead of 5th.

At the start of the season I'd have snapped your hand off if you'd offered me that position by New Year's Day.
Plus we’re still in all competitions. Don’t think anyone expected this to be fair.

DJ_21

Is it true that we’re yet to concede with Casemiro and Varane on the pitch? That’s a mad stat if true.

Shark

@NotShark
For the first time since SAF retired I feel we have a true boss again. As in that manager that's simultaneously highly respected and feared. Everybody knows he's the boss and he's gotten absolutely everything spot on on and off the pitch.

Vapor trail

You’ve not provided a single piece of evidence for your assertion of somebodies incompetence. The onus of evidence is very much on you (particularly given the successful academy overhaul under Murtough’s lead, the creation of a strong women’s team under Murtough’s lead, the start under this manager hired under Murtough’s lead)
You've not provided a single piece of evidence in your assertion to highlight that Murtough isn't incompetent. Successful academy overhaul, who have United signed and successfully implemented into the first team as a result of this development ? Please share articles and reputable sources who can support this claim. I've already covered the management selection the criteria is nothing to write home about.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/2979237/2021/11/26/rangnick-to-manchester-united-how-the-deal-emerged-from-first-phone-call-to-make-up-of-backroom-staff/?amp=1

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...n=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

"He was our number one candidate for interim manager, reflecting the invaluable leadership and technical skills he will bring from almost four decades of experience in management and coaching.

“Everyone at the club is looking forward to working with him during the season ahead, and then for a further two years in his advisory role".

More critique in the media.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/football/61632964.amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/3485344/2022/08/08/manchester-united-erik-ten-hag-marko-arnautovic/?amp=1

This all excludes the failed structure to adequately balance the proceedings of the role of the DOF alongside the manager. Have a look at the article below and see if ETH thought the club had an established scouting infrastructure under Murtough's guidance.

"Manchester United are disregarding most of their scouts’ recommendations and are instead preferring to pursue Erik ten Hag’s own personal targets, according to reports".

This approach has failed under consecutive managers and someone who idolises Phelan thinks John's doing a good job.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ex...ited-transfer-news-Erik-ten-Hag-shortlist/amp

Last edited:

phelans shorts

You've not provided a single piece of evidence in your assertion to highlight that Murtough isn't incompetent. Successful academy overhaul, who have United signed and successfully implemented into the first team as a result of this development ? I've already covered the management selection the criteria is nothing to write home about.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/2979237/2021/11/26/rangnick-to-manchester-united-how-the-deal-emerged-from-first-phone-call-to-make-up-of-backroom-staff/?amp=1

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...n=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

"He was our number one candidate for interim manager, reflecting the invaluable leadership and technical skills he will bring from almost four decades of experience in management and coaching.

“Everyone at the club is looking forward to working with him during the season ahead, and then for a further two years in his advisory role".

More critique in the media.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/football/61632964.amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/3485344/2022/08/08/manchester-united-erik-ten-hag-marko-arnautovic/?amp=1
So again you have nothing? You’re really showing your arse on this point.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Long way round the corner by looks of it
Kind of feel the same. Everyone is waiting for them to start dropping points, but they really don’t seem like doing so any time soon!

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I would still go back for Arnautovich btw....I'm still pissed fans broke this deal.
Ffs, how many times do people need to be told we didn't go for him for more than just footballing reasons and even just for that, it should be a hell no.

Vapor trail

So again you have nothing? You’re really showing your arse on this point.
There's plenty of context, you have made baseless opinions with nothing to substantiate your judgements something that is all to familiar when it comes to John Murtough. I have no agenda against the DOF, but how anyone who is capable of thinking critically cannot see the holes in many of his decisions is beyond ridiculous. When new owners transition after an acquisition there's typically a shake up in the hierarchy which is the norm. Can anyone say with reasonable evidence and a sound basis of logic that if Murtough leaves his role it's a 'loss' to United. I certainly don't believe that to the case.

phelans shorts

There's plenty of context, you have made baseless opinions with nothing to substantiate your judgements something that is all to familiar when it comes to John Murtough. I have no agenda against the DOF, but how anyone who is capable of thinking critically cannot see the holes in many of his decisions is beyond ridiculous. When new owners transition after an acquisition there's typically a shake up in the hierarchy which is the norm. Can anyone say with reasonable evidence and a sound basis of logic that if Murtough leaves his role it's a 'loss' to United. I certainly don't believe that to the case.
You’ve only got one thing that we can say is accurate here, that new owners would likely replace him. The rest is totally unsubstantiated based entirely on an agenda.

I’m more than happy to say I don’t know how competent he is, but I’m not the one casting aspersions. The burden is on you and you’ve completely failed to provide anything beyond “but Rangnick!” Which plenty of us thought was a shrewd move at the time, however badly it went and Ralf was as a direct result deservedly shown the door.

Vapor trail

You’ve only got one thing that we can say is accurate here, that new owners would likely replace him. The rest is totally unsubstantiated based entirely on an agenda.

I’m more than happy to say I don’t know how competent he is, but I’m not the one casting aspersions. The burden is on you and you’ve completely failed to provide anything beyond “but Rangnick!” Which plenty of us thought was a shrewd move at the time, however badly it went and Ralf was as a direct result deservedly shown the door.
Which isn't true I've provided context for Ragnick, the scattergun summer approach and Murtough's willingness to continue with Ole beyond his sell by date. All of which can be found online being covered through a multitude of sources.

When you consider who Murtough is the successor of United are not in a position to yield any results other than being positive when it comes to the executive level of leadership. A competent DOF does not exude such poor decisions in planning and execution. If Murtough turns it around in 3-5 years time than fair enough but as it stands he's shown himself incompetent.

FrantikChicken

Which isn't true I've provided context for Rangnick, the scattergun summer approach and Murtough's willingness to continue with Ole beyond his sell by date. All of which can be found online being covered through a multitude of sources.

When you consider who Murtough is the successor of United are not in a position to yield any results other than being positive when it comes to the executive level of leadership. A competent DOF does not exude such poor decisions in planning and execution. If Murtough turns it around in 3-5 years time than fair enough but as it stands he's shown himself incompetent.
The summer was a scattergun approach? How so?

Vapor trail

The summer was a scattergun approach? How so?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sk...ted-managers-intense-first-week-of-pre-season

"Ten Hag ideally wants the bulk of United's transfer business completed before the squad flies out for their pre-season tour on July 8".

https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/11/ques...f-john-murtough-over-man-utd-window-17169090/

"United’s approach in the transfer market is looking increasingly more chaotic as the deadline approaches and, according to The Telegraph, that is prompting questions to be asked of Murtough".

Hindsight plays down how much of the summer business was in disarray with target selection, the times the signings materialised and when you consider the period of the Brighton / Brentford results within that space the club was linked to FDJ, Rabiot and Casemiro it exemplifies poor planning. So much of our success this season is on how astute ETH is as a manager. I don't think for a second that sheds any light on his superiors.

FrantikChicken

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sk...ted-managers-intense-first-week-of-pre-season

"Ten Hag ideally wants the bulk of United's transfer business completed before the squad flies out for their pre-season tour on July 8".

https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/11/ques...f-john-murtough-over-man-utd-window-17169090/

"United’s approach in the transfer market is looking increasingly more chaotic as the deadline approaches and, according to The Telegraph, that is prompting questions to be asked of Murtough".

Hindsight plays down how much of the summer business was in disarray with target selection, the times the signings materialised and when you consider the period of the Brighton / Brentford results within that space the club was linked to FDJ, Rabiot and Casemiro it exemplifies poor planning. So much of our success this season is on how astute ETH is as a manager. I don't think for a second that sheds any light on his superiors.
This proves nothing. We were in for Casemiro for a very long time, it just came to light in the media late on, so to us it seemed random. I’m pretty sure Fred himself said he knew about it for a long time but was obviously not allowed to say anything.

The media loves to write about us and link us to every player under the sun. If you choose to believe everything they write then that’s on you.

At the end of the day, the only facts that we know are true are the following:

- we signed players ETH wanted, for positions he believed need strengthening.

- every single signing has so far been exemplary and has not only improved the squad, but the first 11. I can’t remember the last time we had such a window?

EDIT:
https://www.managingmadrid.com/plat...cided-long-before-it-was-officially-announced

“I found out long before both clubs announced it,” Fred said. “A few months before, we had already spoken, he and I”

Grande

He's brilliant, the people that proceed him in Murtough and Arnold are where the issues are. If United get competent individuals across the board in the hierarchy it will be brilliant. There's optimism a sale will see the end of Murtough. ETH alongside a very dilligent DOF will be fantastic. City have shown that the structure of the club is more important than just the money. Arsenal are showing this aswell with Arteta / Edu, Pep / Tixi.

More investment around youth prospects relatively unknown will be brilliant. Not just flavour of the month signings similar to the strategy Chelsea are doing it doesn't build a cohesive team.
Hm, do you know anything about Arnold and Murtaugh than what is commonly known (known, not opined)?

From what I can see, Arnold has been involved with a finacial side of the club that has been running magnificently, and then as a CEO overseen Ten Hag take over and been responsible for securing Lisandro Martinez, Casemiro, Antony and Christian Eriksen (plus Malacia and Dubravka) in one window, which certainly isn’t bad, and taken a few positive steps in regard to improving the disastrous relations between club and fans. That looks pretty well so far to me.

Murtaugh has been responsible for structureing the Academy, which has improved since then; the women’s team, which has a wonderful development; the data analytics side, which is too early to see results from but which certainly was important to do; and started onrestrictureing the scouting system, which ditto can be said about. He has backed Solskjær to second place and EL final, removed Solskjær after two months of dismal form, brought in an intermediary which many had wanted as both sporting director and manager previously, to kickstart a much wanted modernizing of direction, gotten probably the best available candidate for new manager ahead of all other clubs, and has been sporting director behind getting in Varane, Sancho and the above mentioned players. I think it’s fairly well indicated that Tonaldo happened against his wishes and over his head. Everything hasn’t worked, but most certainly has, and I’d argue we are looking better as a club going forward than we did when he began in his current position.

Looking further down, it seems you want to criticize him for Solskjær without giving him credit for Ten Hag, which is strange, as he inherited Solskjær (and fired him) while he chose Ten Hag.

bosskeano

what's up wiht the dick swinging contest going on???? No one should be able to question the job ETH has done both on and off the pitch. He's brought back some discipline and structure throughout the entire club from first team to youth team.

as many have said, it's something that's been lacking since Fergie was here.