Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

Votes: 376 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 1,043 73.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

croadyman

Very professional performance but still he wasn't all that happy about it.
Yeah it's very Guardiola mentality in how he wants to control games better. That will come with a sweeper keeper, CM to progress the ball and top class number 9.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not surprised there - the first half was sloppy as hell on the ball, we weren't sustaining attacks, we weren't controlling, the team defence was horrible and we were relying on the last line to keep them out rather than stopping the attacks early. Comfortable win but was still a sloppy game and it would've pissed him off.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Delighted with him. His next challenge will be to get us dominating games especially control over possession / quality possession which has been an issue for the past decade (as has our wank attack). But he’s well on his way to achieving the first objective which was to restore us after a miserable 21/22 season (and start to this season). In my time supporting the club I’ve never seen a United team that was that bereft of effort and confidence and hated by the fans as that one and we’ve gone from that to a decent top 4 challenge, for which I’m relieved. It wasn’t just us being shit at the end of Oles time, the rot had set even deeper and I’m glad we’re out of that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nor should he be. Eventually he’ll want to see us dominate games and pin teams back consistently. I think we need new personnel for it though

croadyman

Of course we can't be satisfied just yet. Manchester United and our fans deserve better after the last 10 years.
I love the fact he isn't satisfied,honestly believe when he finally has that ideal first XI and we give someone a hiding 5 or 6 nil he will still find a fault with performance

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Really hope this man picks up his first trophy with us! At least then we won’t hear mourinho say he was the last one to win a trophy with us.

mu4c_20le

Really hope this man picks up his first trophy with us! At least then we won’t hear mourinho say he was the last one to win a trophy with us.
Hate to break it to you but he's already won loads at Ajax

Strelok

Also this system demands a level of intensity that is in a different stratosphere from what the players have been used to over the last few years. We've seen what it looks like when it comes together, but it's still going to take a little more time for them to be able keep those levels up more consistently throughout a game.
Agree the most important change/improvement made under ETH imo is our intensity, the speed and accuracy of our passes and how fast we move the ball.

The players suddenly look like they know how to pass a ball and know what to do immediately after they receive the ball. That definitely comes from coaching. Compare to the 1-2 seconds our players usually needed to figure out what's next under previous managers this is absolutely massive. It doesn't only help us to counter press better but also to break teams who sit deep much much better.

Our intensity has faded a bit recently especially in the second half and by the end of the match understandably because of the super busy schedule. That can be addressed only by adding more depth and quality imo.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Only thing I really don't like when we play is how carelessly we tend to lose the ball. Maybe that could be due to having too many risk takers in midfield - Erikesn, Casemiro, Bruno

Strelok

Only thing I really don't like when we play is how carelessly we tend to lose the ball. Maybe that could be due to having too many risk takers in midfield - Erikesn, Casemiro, Bruno
Imo yesterday we lose the ball a lot not because of too many risk takers but rather fatigue. We usually lose some ball because of our risk takers but not to the amount of yesterday. For example you could visibly notice the quality of Eriksen's first touch dropped massively yesterday compare to his usual. Never seen his touches so sloppy like that, tbf his touch yesterday had the same quality of Fred's.

ETH's system moves the ball around really really fast thus requires absolute accuracy, speed and top touch from his midfielders. One bad touch will lead to misplace passes or forced passes to players who are in bad positions which will make us to lose the ball.

Real Name

Love how he got completely mad when Bruno had that bad shot from outside in the 1st half. To us fans that's not a big deal but he's obsessed with little details like that one and that's why we're doing so good. Every little detail counts. Someone rightly said how he was surprised Rashford took his goal with his left and surprised the keeper who was expecting Marcus to turn the ball to his right leg. That's what coaching is all about.

Lyng

I don't see why he's rated so highly. Looks good but nothing special to me certainly doesn't warrant the hype
Frenkie is extremely press resistant and fantastic at driving the ball from deep, so he is pretty much tailor made for EtH. Thats why he is so highly rated.

Gurtej

Give this guy:

A proper GK who can play with his feet and also has good distribution. I have never seen DDG kicking a ball that aims at our forward line. 60m

A proper number 9 for his system. I think Victor O would be great. 100m. I think it’s time to let Anthony go as he is too inconsistent and injury prone, but I doubt we will get any good money for him.

As much as AWB has improved, we need another RB as a back up for DD. Net zero replacement fees as I think we will get some decent money for AWB given his recent performances.

Another quick 22-25 years old WC defender: Sell Macquire as he is clearly not part of his plans and keep Lindelof. 40m plus Macquire (40m) should get us one.

Another ball carrying midfielder: We need a De Jong. 70m outlay and I think we can get him if we get top 4.

Another young casemiro as understudy: 30-40m, fund by selling McT. Keep Fred.

total outlay:

250-300m. And if there is a time we can get these, it will be next year with new owners coming in. They would want to make a statement and I think we should strengthen accordingly.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Ten Hag definitely wants to evolve us to a possession based team. The word possession is deceiving though, he wants us to be more controlling in games, not have possession for the sake of it.

Possession based teams generally are the best counter pressing teams too, you cant be one without the other.

There are many reasons why we are not looking like a proper possession team yet.

1. We have a game every few days, Ten Hag cannot work much on the training ground
2. We dont have the players in all positions, AWB, McTominay, Wout cannot play that, we need better players in those positions.
3. Our misfiring attack, we are struggling for goals so when we get a goal we seem to then stop playing and protect.

I feel over time, it will come.
I agree that there's a discernable style of play emerging that will naturally improve with time. Was more wondering about evidence of a possession orientated system growing. All 3 goals tonight were break away goals also

romufc

I agree that there's a discernable style of play emerging that will naturally improve with time. Was more wondering about evidence of a possession orientated system growing. All 3 goals tonight were break away goals also
Didn't the fist goal start from our own box?

This is an issue where just because we get the ball forward quick and attack fast at times, it comes across as counter attack.

RopersReturn

As well as dominating games, we also need to start taking cup tournaments more seriously what ever the significance, as it’s important for the team to experience the sense of achievement, essentially a win everything mentality. I’m delighted to say we’re looking good for the Carabou so far which is a start. Next up- the Europa which would ultimately crown a fantastic first season for ETH in charge.

RopersReturn

Just for the record, my ‘Erik ten Halfwit’ post wasn’t serious. I think he’s doing a fantastic job and far exceeded what I expected at this stage.

His use of subs (or lack of) is a bit concerning at times but that’s the only real criticism. Aside from that he’s been a breath of fresh air.
Have you considered it might lack of quality squad depth to cover those positions? He’s reluctant to make changes whilst he’s only got the likes of Maguire and VdB on the bench who he doesn’t think are good enough and who can blame him.

Erictheking7

From the trawler in front of the seagulls.........
Give this guy:

A proper GK who can play with his feet and also has good distribution. I have never seen DDG kicking a ball that aims at our forward line. 60m

A proper number 9 for his system. I think Victor O would be great. 100m. I think it’s time to let Anthony go as he is too inconsistent and injury prone, but I doubt we will get any good money for him.

As much as AWB has improved, we need another RB as a back up for DD. Net zero replacement fees as I think we will get some decent money for AWB given his recent performances.

Another quick 22-25 years old WC defender: Sell Macquire as he is clearly not part of his plans and keep Lindelof. 40m plus Macquire (40m) should get us one.

Another ball carrying midfielder: We need a De Jong. 70m outlay and I think we can get him if we get top 4.

total outlay:

250-300m. And if there is a time we can get these, it will be next year with new owners coming in. They would want to make a statement and I think we should strengthen accordingly.
That's quite a wish list :lol:

RopersReturn

Give this guy:

total outlay:

Simple answer would be to try and wrench Raya and Ivan Toney away from Brentford this summer.

Gurtej

That's quite a wish list :lol:
pep spent 215m euros and 320m euros in his first two seasons…

Chelsea has gone on spending 400m since taken over…

I really don’t see spending 250m plus next year being an issue especially with new owners coming in…

SER19

31 games, 22 wins. Near a final, the entire attitude towards the club transformed and some very difficult player issues dealt with calmly. This is so far going as well as anybody could have reasonably expected

Hard to imagine the darkest end of Rangnick spell was only about 8 months ago.

maxtrash

irrespective … DDG is not the keep we need now….I am sure if there is money and alternative available, most will agree to change ….
there's a lot of criticism regarding footballing capabilities of DDG however stopping shots to me is still the number 1 priority. DDG is among the best in my perception so for me it's not the 1st priority. YMMV

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
there's a lot of criticism regarding footballing capabilities of DDG however stopping shots to me is still the number 1 priority. DDG is among the best in my perception so for me it's not the 1st priority. YMMV
Statistically he's actually been fairly average (relative to the Premier League level of Goalkeepers) with his shot stopping for a while now. He's ranked around for 9th for post-shot xG, which is essentially how likely a keeper is to save a shot, and has conceded 2 more than expected, per 90 he ranks 13th. By comparison, Alisson in first place has conceded 8 less than expected.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
31 games, 22 wins. Near a final, the entire attitude towards the club transformed and some very difficult player issues dealt with calmly. This is so far going as well as anybody could have reasonably expected

Hard to imagine the darkest end of Rangnick spell was only about 8 months ago
It was the most dislikable group of players I think we've ever had and even that has been transformed. Incredible work so far by the boss.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Statistically he's actually been fairly average (relative to the Premier League level of Goalkeepers) with his shot stopping for a while now. He's ranked around for 9th for post-shot xG, which is essentially how likely a keeper is to save a shot, and has conceded 2 more than expected, per 90 he ranks 13th. By comparison, Alisson in first place has conceded 8 less than expected.
yeah but to be fair to dave some of the premier league strikers really kick the ball hard.