Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

next_number_seven

Assuming you are not a rival trolling, I get what you are saying, its hard to stay grounded.

But heres the thing, find me a post before the summer which said it was a good squad.

And we are clearly overachieving for the squad we have even after spending 200m on top of a "good squad".
I'm not trolling.

I'm just saying look at the quality of the players he has at his disposal.

He has over 20 international footballers, most very experienced.

I'm excited as much as anyone, just saying it's not genius or a miracle. It's just highly competent.

NotQuiteManc

We don't have to look at past few seasons, just the most recent one, where the club was in total shambles. Nothing seems to work, from top to bottom, players have been called clowns, lazy, PR merchants etc. Frankly, it was looking like United were going the irrelevant Liverpool of old routes. Football cycles, and whatnots.

Even without the Cup, I already feel that he is doing the unthinkable. Turning this joke of a team, club into a force to be reckoned with, again. No more clowning around. Within a season, which hasn't finished yet.

For that, he is a wizard. Our own, bald genius/wizard.

next_number_seven

TROLL DETECTED
It's not trolling.

He has one of the expensively assembled squads in history.

Players like De Gea, Varane, Lisandro, Shaw, Casemiro, Eriksen, Bruno, Rashford are very experienced top level players.

The rest are also experienced international players like Dalot, Maguire, Lindelof, McTom, Fred, Antony etc

mariko48

It's not trolling.

Players like De Gea, Varane, Lisandro, Shaw, Casemiro, Eriksen, Bruno, Rashford are very experienced top level players.

The rest are also experienced international players like Dalot, Maguire, Lindelof, McTom, Fred, Antony etc
Pep and Xavi have more expensive squads and stil lost. What's your point?

Chairman Steve

I think if we had Pochettino, we‘d be in a similar position to Spurs right now. Fighting for Top 4, erratic form and out of all the domestic cups.

waza7111

It's great to have a manager who isn't afraid of making changes at half time and doesn't wait until the 60th minute.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
They said he’d be sacked after ten games. They also said graham potter was the better manager as did some of the pundits including ex players. Also a lot of fans wanted potter over him but this guy is a genius and he’s taking us places!

Djemba-Djemba

The fact there's a few morons that only post in here on the very very fecking rare occasions we don't win to slag off ETH is laughable.

He's the manager we've been hoping to have for 10 years, he's brought the entire club together and made us feel like Manchester United again. If you aren't happy with him then I don't know what to say, you're insane.

Flexdegea

It's not trolling.

You disingenuous with the expensive squad comment, that's not lying but would mean something if there was real actual value attached to performance regarding their real worth, I mean Maguire, 80mil or something, is that meant to be a plus for Hag, like he should be winning everything because he got 80mil Maguire in their and other expensive flops.

Internationals isn't the hit ya think it is, nearly every team around us has the same internationals littered thru their squad.

Robbie Boy

They said he’d be sacked after ten games. They also said graham potter was the better manager as did some of the pundits including ex players. Also a lot of fans wanted potter over him but this guy is a genius and he’s taking us places!
Thankfully we have a very sensible lot on here, who voted overwhelmingly in favour of ETH.

lex talionis

Thankfully we have a very sensible lot on here, who voted overwhelmingly in favour of ETH.
Hilarious how the British media wanked themselves silly over Poch while the fanbase was overwhelmingly in favor of ETH.

Of course there was an element of risk with ETH, but it was a calculated risk with a massive upside. Whereas with Poch there was little chance of a massive upside.

Robbie Boy

Hilarious how the British media wanked themselves silly over Poch while the fanbase was overwhelmingly in favor of ETH.

Of course there was an element of risk with ETH, but it was a calculated risk with a massive upside. Whereas with Poch there was little chance of a massive upside.
Yeah, the Poch option just never appealed to me whatsoever. I do think he's a decent coach, but he wasn't what I wanted.

Robbie Boy

You disingenuous with the expensive squad comment, that's not lying but would mean something if there was real actual value attached to performance regarding their real worth, I mean Maguire, 80mil or something, is that meant to be a plus for Hag, like he should be winning everything because he got 80mil Maguire in their and other expensive flops.

Internationals isn't the hit ya think it is, nearly every team around us has the same internationals littered thru their squad.
We probably had just as many internationals here during Ole's tenure and it means absolutely feck all.

It's not just what ETH has achieved on the pitch - which has been incredible - it's his overall work in galvanising the whole club. The man has been an overwhelming success and has surpassed any expectations that were set for him this season.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

Just goes to show though… us fans tend to know what’s best for our club. Or should I say the majority. There was quite a few on here that wanted poch but I think that was the fans who only watch the premier league.

Eli Zee

Is this accurate?

"73.2% - Erik ten Hag's win percentage this season is currently the highest in Manchester United's entire history dating back to our first competitive season in senior football as Newton Heath LYR FC in 1883."

https://ibb.co/KySNHMz

Flexdegea

We probably had just as many internationals here during Ole's tenure and it means absolutely feck all.

It's not just what ETH has achieved on the pitch - which has been incredible - it's his overall work in galvanising the whole club. The man has been an overwhelming success and has surpassed any expectations that were set for him this season.

100%

Anyone firing expensive squad at him like he assembled it and with zero context is TROLLING in my eyes.

Something new every week to throw shit at but to be fair they running low on complaints since the subs groan been put too bed

Robbie Boy

100%

Anyone firing expensive squad at him like he assembled it and with zero context is TROLLING in my eyes.

Something new every week to throw shit at but to be fair they running low on complaints since the subs groan been put too bed
The subs groan looks rather silly in hindsight :lol: :lol:

maxtrash

It's not trolling.

funny thing is that the worst player of United was actually the star player against Messi in the World cup :-)
The bar is quite high here

Suedesi

When did you guys start to believe we had the right man in charge? For me, it was the run of 4 games after the Brentford loss where we won them on the bounce.

What I liked about him then was his pragmatism. Even now, we're not watching an EtH team fully in terms of style. He wants control, high possession stats, complete domination in all of the thirds of the game.

We're not there yet, we were far from there way back in September, yet we beat Liverpool, Arsenal and a couple of tricky away games after that horrendous start.

What I thought then is that we have a guy willing to sacrifice his philosophy to get the best out of what he has at his disposal. Winning footballing games is the number one priority, and he'll find a way to win no matter what.

I guess in a way that sounds like Mourinho, but for me that's where the similarities end. He has earned the respect of the group instead of throwing them under the bus, he has instilled standards and belief instead of talking about the next transfer window, he's working with and improving what he has, not exiling players. The way he handled those opening losses, and the 6-3 humiliation vs City and the reaction to that, it's when I started to really believe.

Our best performance this season was the 2-0 win at home to Spurs. That game was utter domination, and if Rashford was in the form he's in now, that game ends probably 4 or 5 nil. When he gets the players he wants, I think that Spurs game is the benchmark as to what we can expect.

Right now, I think we're slightly overachieving, but he's unlocked the fighting spirit and never say die attitude of this squad. That's carrying us brilliantly through a gruelling season with the spirit and character of born winners like Casemiro, Varane and Martinez. I can't wait to see what we can do with another transfer window and a proper pre-season with a settled squad under our belts.

I remember under Ole (and I'm not using this as an excuse to bash Ole) but we were fighting on all fronts multiple times like this season. I almost wanted us to drop out of the cups because I didn't feel like we'd win them and be able to finish top 4. And that's where the extra games sap the squad completely, when you've given it all to a certain point, and all of a sudden you are out of the cups and facing an uphill battle for CL football.

Now, I want us fighting until the bitter end in every competition because I think we can will all of them. And if you have that belief, and can actually win the competitions, that trumps the demands of the extra games.

How good it feels to be excited once more.

I've kept tabs on him since 2019 - and been on the ETH train ever since.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/a-serious-look-at-eric-ten-hag.446654/

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
I feel like ten Hag's squad management experience with Ajax is key to what he's done with our players so far, and his squad building experience is going to be critical for our continued success. I hope we do assemble a scouting team that is up to par with his standards.
Henk Veldmate is the one you want. Employed by Ajax in 2016 and responsible for every Latin/South American gem since then.

Last edited:

OmarUnited4ever

In the summer of 2021, Spurs hierarchy interviewed Ten Hag and thought that he came off as lacking charisma, and opted to name Nuno.

Thank You Spurs.

always_hoping

Mad to think its already a week ago since knocking Barcelona out of Europe and since then United played another two matches winning both.

wolvored

Yea, I don't know how are nominations selected but it's weird :lol: Conte took charge of 2 games in February, 1W and 1L. How is he nominated?
They roll a dice and whoevers name is on the matching raffle ticket number is nominated

florisW

Supports
Ajax
It's not trolling.

You can’t make a blind man see.