Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 430 48.3%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 461 51.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

saivet

Terrible team selection. No change at HT. Took Antony off who was comfortably our best attacker/midfielder. Bizarre subs right at the end with Martinez and Varane off.

He has to take most of the blame. The players do well, but this wasn't a game where a few players made some key mistakes and we were punished. Newcastle dominated the game for the full 90 minutes and it could have easily been more.

His away record against the top 12 teams is abysmal too. We've only beaten Fulhan thanks to a last minute winner and only one more team to play, in Spurs.

Appletonred

Utd are not looking like a top 4 side, and tbh without a bona fide striker, your not likely to be one.

SuperScoot

The club needs to be sold, and Eth allowed to continue his rebuild. I've seen enough this season to say back the manager, but the squad he's got has overperformed. They've hit a brick wall, it's been so lethargic since the cup final.

Still need a no1 goalkeeper who can command his box, a right back, central midfielder, right winger, and 2x strikers.

ti vu

Don't understand Antony, the double CBs and McTominay sub off. Antony keeps our right wing alive. The sub at the end pretty much welcome Newcastle to cross the ball into our box.

Started Weghorst and had McTominay as 10 to support him in first half was bad enough. The above things basically lost us the game.

Mr. Robot

I think his time is up in all honesty. (Typical RedCafe reply after a loss, right?)

Ten Hag needs better players. We could have prime Fergie and he’d have a hard time getting goals out of Weghorst and a midfield with Scott McAverage.

Give him time and money please, new owners. Sick of the sight of some of these players.

Last edited:

redshaw

Garnacho has also been a big loss, many times he's helped change the game and moving Rashford centrally.

It's back to the tired anguish and grimace on our players faces I've seen in the last few years.

slored1

Baffling subs and team selection today. Why did Antony go off? What happened to Fred? Why were both centre-backs subbed off at the end? So many questionable choices...

SirMonteyne

His "proving himself, taking control" phase is driving him stubborn. I'd swap him with Eddie Howe honestly.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Time to move rashford up top and try any other player on left.

Very very worrying level of performance since cup final. Look as bad as under any previous manager in last 3 league games
This is major concern now. Our progress was amazing till LC final. After that...it is shocking how our form and general play dropped.

justboy68

Imagine if Rashford hadn't turned his fortunes around this season? Casemiro, Martinez, Eriksen also important additions and despite all that we are 3 points better off than this stage last season? :nervous:

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
yes... miracles compared to previous seasons. Definitely can make some questionable choices that don't always work out, but that's part of management.

we all know ETH is very good. Howe had like 5 seasons in the EPL. It's ETH's first. We had 58 points last year, Newcastle of 49. Only 9 point difference.

not to mention, ETH adopted a squad that was pretty much a bunch of overpaid primadonnas that didn't have any standards whatsoever.
The miracle of this season sees us a massive 3 points ahead of last years total after 28 games.
People are going way over the top on the job he has done.

Dinghy

Couldn't give an absolute feck about the Carabou cup if we drop out of top 4. His Weghorst fetish is starting to make me dislike him. People where taking the piss about Ole bringing Josh King here, this guy has has brought Weghorst and started him for 20 consecutive games.

AneRu

The absurd decision to take both CBs off, I hope they question him about it cause I hope there is a sane reason for that
Four of his subs were well off, I mean Antony off for Sancho removed any bite we had off the ball. Removing the CBs was crazy, I dont think there was any justifiable reason for removing them as it could have turned into another rout.

In my view if don't get creative in midfield during Casemiro's absence we will lose ground. Ten Hag needs to decide on trying out Martinez there because we are completely hopeless without Casemiro.

SAFMUTD

Still have faith in him, but his Weghorst fixation is clearly not working. We have been dragged to top 4 battle again, were in poor form. If we don't win against Brentford then we're in real trouble.

The United

The absurd decision to take both CBs off, I hope they question him about it cause I hope there is a sane reason for that
Coaches usually go with changing midfield and attacking players in this situation. He likes to change his backlines in the second halves at times for some reasons. It reminds me of LVG changing FBs when we could not even get a shot for like 80 minutes.

Mcking

He hasn't done anything better than Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. The difference has been Casemiro.

Malone_Post

We’d finally gotten a bit of control of the game with a proper formation and players in their actual positions, after that first half disasterclass. Then he just threw it all the bin.

Absolutely baffling decision. He’s had a complete disaster of a day. Two weeks preparation for that? Top 4 has just become a huge battle.

3KDré

Got it wrong today. It's hard to fault him though. Eriksen, Casemiro and Martial are all so key to us holding possession and he's had 2 of them out for 3 months plus. Once they are back I am certain we will start dominating games again.

croadyman

Yeah and needs questioning about Wan Bissaka & Fred not starting, also Pellistri should have come on with Sancho & Martial

Telsim

Losing the plot. Shocking decisions lately. And when I hear shit like he is considering Weghorst for the summer, I'm starting to have doubts.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I’d take average. We are a fecking shambles against anyone decent away from home. I’d be interested to know the Xg of the away games against the top 10 sides - I’d imagine it is truly horrific.
Today’s is brutal. 3.57 vs 0.43. There won’t be many worse. An absolute paddling.

The United

yes... miracles compared to previous seasons. Definitely can make some questionable choices that don't always work out, but that's part of management.

we all know ETH is very good. Howe had like 5 seasons in the EPL. It's ETH's first. We had 58 points last year, Newcastle of 49. Only 9 point difference.

also, Newcastle was 5th in week 2 and we were dead last.. we are now tied and we're doing better for a while.We have had a few key players out which affected us.

not to mention, ETH adopted a squad that was pretty much a bunch of overpaid primadonnas that didn't have any standards whatsoever.
We don't really know that yet. At least for us.

Swedish_Plumber

Needs to get a response midweek or else we could implode. The players showed that they’re still totally capable of giving up at anfield.

Goes to show just how poor we look without rashfords goals/when he’s not playing well. We’d be nowhere near the top 4 without them.

El Jefe

The question needs to be asked how much of our improvement is actually due to just having Casemiro. I'm all in on ETH but he missed the bulk of the away games against the top half sides and we've looked very poor in almost all of the games. Even in the games where we do have Casemiro it's not like we're controlling games.

This team is just not built for possession football and the less you have the ball the more you invite attacks, especially against the better sides. Our squad is fundamentally flawed and I really hope he has plans to change this in the summer or he won't be too different from the other managers that struggled here.

Fooza

Losing the plot. Shocking decisions lately. And when I hear shit like he is considering Weghorst for the summer, I'm starting to have doubts.
He's off his rocker if he ends up keeping WW

LARulz

QUOTE="croadyman, post: 30353753, member: 112250"]
Yeah and needs questioning about Wan Bissaka & Fred not starting, also Pellistri should have come on with Sancho & Martial
[/QUOTE]

Wan Bissaka was ill

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
This is actually the reason I doubt how much influence a manager has at the end of the day. Had Lindeloff scored and in extra time Sancho would have made the winner, ETH would have been lauded as an absolute genius. Now you concede one extra and it is seen as a ridiculous call. The line between brilliance and insanity is a thin one and the outcome decides for which one we opt but in the end it is almost always pure luck.

Rustyspider13

Bad game from him. Normally I can see the logic in his decisions but taking off both CBs, who were comfortably our best players, is illogical. We were getting back into the game too. Felt like he wanted Pellistri on but didn't want to sub Rashford off so went full attack. The next two PL games will be vital. He needs to find a way to stop opponents, even if it comes at the cost of our attack. Because right now, we're conceding way too many chances.

Olecurls99

The miracle of this season sees us a massive 3 points ahead of last years total after 28 games.
People are going way over the top on the job he has done.
And this after spending 225m. Where's this wondrous coaching? Somebody tell me

Skills

Snitch
Anyone else feel like we're a bit like Bielsa's Leeds? The structures a but suicidal, especially if we even lose one match up it goes tits up.