g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Borys

Statistics Wizard
To be honest the only criticism is he has no clue how to set up a team when Casemiro is missing. It's not all down to personnel I think.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
In his defence; midfield is and always will be the key. We are without both central midfielders (and first choice no9). That would be huge blow even for managers with bigger depth on the bench.

Gavinb33

People going mad about the subs is laughable, we should've been 3 down with all the starters on the pitch, we were 2nd best all game he tired to do something different it didn't work big deal, we looked completely unlikely to get anything from this game from the 1st minute

Mcking

Jesus what an absolute car crash of a post :lol:
Struggling to move the ball effectively, one or two players carrying the whole team, refusing to use obvious starting lineups, and rewarding mediocre performances in previous games.

We've been no better than we were under Ole, just that we managed to bring in the world class defensive midfielder Ole never had, and had a cup run which have had us all feeling good about the season.

It's his first season though, so more than willing to cut him some slack, but I'm not getting carried away.

Baneofthegame

The one time today I think he's had a huge error in team selection, should have changed it at half time in my opinion. Our midfield today was a complete shambles, Rashford basically left Shaw 2vs1 all game, just nothing worked today.

HookedOnAPhelan

Not good this. Another terrible performance. Becoming a little worried.

We need to get top 4. Without it (even if we win EL) I'll be disappointed.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We've regressed really badly since the Carabao Cup final. I don't think we've put in a really good performance in any game since then. The season's take its toll on us and losing key players in Martial, Eriksen, and Casemiro has really shocked our system. I suspect the players are running on fumes, too.

Some of his tactical decisions today were baffling. I just can't understand why he took Martinez off, seeing as he's the only one in our team who can pass the ball more than 5 yards.
Well Martial was lost since the season started more or less, so I won't count him as a casualty.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
In his defence; midfield is and always will be the key. We are without both central midfielders (and first choice no9). That would be huge blow even for managers with bigger depth on the bench.
That's true but that should never ever justify playing McT at 10. The guy plays CB for his country at times and he'd be a 10 for Utd ? In which world does that make sense ?

edgecutter

He hasn't done anything better than Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. The difference has been Casemiro.
Horrendous post. The guy has won a trophy and actually signed some decent players. Ole left gapping holes and an undisciplined squad with numerous transfer feck ups.

The United

His setup was just ludicrous. We still have Tommy and Fred, who have been playing deep for years. They are not up to the standard, but they would do the job better. He changed the set-up in the second half (by playing the guy who was supposed to play deep in the first place), which made us look a tad better and more settled until he fecked it again up with weird subs.

There is no defense for him, really.

Greck

You have to wonder what happens during training. Why haven't we made any progress in how we play? Why do we always revert to this shit football under every manager? Is it the manager or do we have thick players incapable of learning?
It's the drop off in technical ability of our 2nd team. Casemiro to Mctominay, Eriksen to one of McFred, Varane and Martinez to the ponderous Maguire or passive Lindelof. Our first team has enough red flags as is without having to throw in third stringers.

AFC NimbleThumb

When it goes wrong it really does go wrong. He’s made some great decisions this year but damn that team looked woefully prepared today.

If he perseveres with Wout then I really can’t expect better than today.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
People going mad about the subs is laughable, we should've been 3 down with all the starters on the pitch, we were 2nd best all game he tired to do something different it didn't work big deal, we looked completely unlikely to get anything from this game from the 1st minute
Except the time we looked most likely was immediately before he decided to go insane and take off the two CBs and play whatever the feck we then played. Yes we probably wouldn’t have equalised - it doesn’t change how ridiculous those subs were though - right up there with playing Mctominay as a 10 off Weghorst in WTF ridiculousness.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
It is not the reason we lost today but the midfield with Bruno won’t challenge for anything big, I hope he understands it and the summer should answer us many questions about him.
A minority few, me included have been saying this for some time now.

He needs to find a controlling midfield, or else he will be sacked.

He needs to find that formula either through coaching or through new players. It's simple but very crucial for his time here.

justsomebloke

See people going on about the lineup being all wrong. I'm a bit mystified about what this supposedly obvious lineup he should have used instead is supposed to have been?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
whatever the mistakes of the players, today was on him.
starting mct
subbing off antony -> 0-1
subbing off BOTH CBs??? -> 0-2

not a good performance, many possible reasons, but the way it happened, the loss is on his weird decisions.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
thanks for the league cup but you’ve taken us as far as you can. time for a fresh face and with some new ideas that don’t consist of just playing the tall lads for a laugh.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I've done nothing but defend ETH but please for the love of god I'm at my limit when it comes to Wout Weghorst and I fail to understand what ETH still sees in him after all these games. I understood the loan, why he wanted him, I even defended the move but it's been too many games now where he's done absolutely nothing. If Martial is able to sit on the bench he should start, always. This is a level beyond being stubborn.

The subs were also crazy today. Maybe I saw a different match but I thought Antony was our best player today (I know, it's not hard) and to take him off and let Bruno or Rashford stay on after two of the worst performances I've seen out of them this season I felt was wrong on ETH's part. Also want to point out that I felt for Antony today because he was looking to create something multiple times and Weghorst just does not create any space, barely makes any runs for Antony to pass into except for that one moment in the first half where he smashed it in the side of the net.

I never expected us to win today because we always play like a mediocre team whenever Casemiro is unavailable, but today was a new low. We weren't a threat ONCE in the entire game. The passing was ridiculously bad. The midfield was all over the place. This felt like a 2021/2022 fixture.

I'm still optimistic we'll get top 4 but I am a bit concerned about the football that is currently being played. We always applaud Erik for being able to adapt and improvise, I expect him to do the same when we miss a couple of players. Again, never expected us to win, but we didn't even try.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He hasn't done anything better than Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. The difference has been Casemiro.
It’s consistently amazing how some of you just cannot control the urge to type out your most primal thoughts without ever taking a second to think.

Zen

What's the record like with BOTH Casemiro and Eriksen?

Get In Scholesy

See people going on about the lineup being all wrong. I'm a bit mystified about what this supposedly obvious lineup he should have used instead is supposed to have been?
I agree with this, it’s a reflection on the squad really. However I would have gone with Fred aside from McTominay, and maybe had a different set up with Bruno more up the pitch.

BarstoolProphet

Looks like the players mentally checked out after the cup final and he seems unable to fix it. Not helped by injuries and suspensions of course.

Mcking

Horrendous post. The guy has won a trophy and actually signed some decent players. Ole left gapping holes and an undisciplined squad with numerous transfer feck ups.
I don't want to sound like I'm discrediting winning a trophy, but the stars did align for us in the Carabao, and I'd rather not be counting trophies at this stage.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
That's true but that should never ever justify playing McT at 10. The guy plays CB for his country at times and he'd be a 10 for Utd ? In which world does that make sense ?
He had problem by not having first mc duo. That is one side of medal. Other side of the medal is that that problem he resolved unbelievably bad. I already said that playing McT on no10 is THE worst decision which any manager did since Fergie left. Playing McT/Wout combo deserves football Oscar for stupidity.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
That 3-3-1-3 didn't work against Real Sociedad and didn't work today. Hopefully we won't see it again for some time.

I queried some of his decisions but had they come off we'd be blowing smoke up him. All I will say is I would have liked to see changes at halftime. C'est la vie.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
To be just 3pts ahead of where we were this time last season under a temporary manager in Rangnick isn't good enough.

Thankfully the league cup win will buy him some time but we need another 8/9 good players if we think we can challenge for the league.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'd go with midfield three, McTominay Sabitzer Fred. Rashford up front, Antony/Bruno on the right and Sancho on the left.

He's naive if he thinks he can just replace Casemiro with Sabitzer / McTominay and unchanged team setup/instructions.

Who didn't see Newcastle running through out midfield today?

ScholesyTheWise

A minority few, me included have been saying this for some time now.

He needs to find a controlling midfield, or else he will be sacked.

He needs to find that formula either through coaching or through new players. It's simple but very crucial for his time here.
I also belong in the camp that's far from enamored with Bruno. Can appreciate him immensly for what he has to offer,
but can also see the pretty damning downsides he has to his game.

I won't be the saddest person on earth the day we move forward from him;
which doesn't mean he'll be easily replaced.

Olecurls99

It’s consistently amazing how some of you just cannot control the urge to type out your most primal thoughts without ever taking a second to think.
How many times have we been bossed this season? We're 3 points better off than last year. Where's the amazing coaching and "system" "style" we were all promised?

redNATION

He’s learning the hard way why most teams write off the league cup and sometimes even the fa cup and europa league. This isn’t eredivisie, you can’t just turn up and win against “lesser” teams, even teams at the bottom will out run and out fight you if given the chance.

I’m glad he won a trophy but if continues to imagine we can win fa cup, europa league and finish 3rd then he is seriously deluded.

It’s already falling apart and we’ve not even got to the final of the remaining cups. Needs to make a decision now on what he wants because otherwise we’ll fail on all remaining fronts if this continues.