Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

justboy68

Got it wrong today. It's hard to fault him though. Eriksen, Casemiro and Martial are all so key to us holding possession and he's had 2 of them out for 3 months plus. Once they are back I am certain we will start dominating games again.
None of those were here last season and the managers got no sympathy. Shouldn't really be any different for ETH to be honest.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This is actually the reason I doubt how much influence a manager has at the end of the day. Had Lindeloff scored and in extra time Sancho would have made the winner, ETH would have been lauded as an absolute genius. Now you concede one extra and it is seen as a ridiculous call. The line between brilliance and insanity is a thin one and the outcome decides for which one we opt but in the end it is almost always pure luck.
A manager has a lot of influence, it's a game of probabilities with these subs. You never ever take off both CBs unless there is an injury crisis or the score has gotten out of hand

sugar_kane

I hope today was the end of the great Wout experiment.

The CB substitution was so weird. Van Gaal esque as someone else on here pointed out. Hope he explains that one.

That aside I think one half of the team is completely spent and the other is nowhere near the required standard. These performances shouldn’t come as a surprise.

He’s had a good, sometimes great, season so far all in all, let’s not lose our shit.

saivet

Been out classed tactically in every away game vs the top 9.
If you go down the table I think there's fundamental issue with our away performances. A few have been comfortable but I don't think we've had any really good away performances in the PL.

10th - Fulham. We needed a minute winner
11th - Chelsea. We needed a last minute equaliser
12th - Palace. Conceded a last minute equaliser
13th - Wolves. Late Rashford winner
14th - West Ham. Away match to come
15th - Forrest. Away match to come
16th - Bournemouth. Away match to come
17th - Leeds. Two very late goals to win it.
18th - Everton. Pretty comfortable 2-1 win
19th - Leicester. Comfortable 1-0 win.
20th - Soton. 1-0 win that I don't remember.

Yakuza_devils

All our progress seems gone now. Where is the ETH style of play? We are back to Ole and Rangnick style. Negative counter attacking play with players seems don't know each other

Delano

Yes, our options without Casemiro and Eriksen are shocking but he had a mare today.

Bizarre line up and in game management.

hobbers

The bottom line is that if he looks towards next season and realises Wout, Martial, Sancho, McTominay and Sabitzer shouldnt be playing any part of it, that's fine.

If he doesn't realise that, he's not going to succeed here.

Matt851

I am fully expecting people to ignore us being the team who played the most games this season with terrible squad depth, that we had many key player injuries/suspensions through the season, the big progress we made in spite of all that, I am expecting all that being ignored and we just blame Ten Hag, easy solution.

Oh yeah, also blame Weghorst, that is given.
We have played the most games but ETH has chosen to play strong teams in games when we arguably wouldn't need to so his decisions have contributed to it. And yes weghorst is an issue, he was supposedly bought as a back up but now plays every minute despite often being mediocre.

He has been making an increasing number of wacky team selections and substitutes and a lot of them have been poor recently. It is possible to think he is the right man for the job and making mistakes

Betson

Heading into his toughest time as manager here , right now we indistinguishable from a Ole or Rangnick Utd team.

He needs to turn this around , these players have a habit of quitting when the going gets tough.

This will test him as a manager.

AndySmith1990

All our progress seems gone now. Where is the ETH style of play? We are back to Ole and Rangnick style. Negative counter attacking play with players seems don't have each other
You have to wonder what happens during training. Why haven't we made any progress in how we play? Why do we always revert to this shit football under every manager? Is it the manager or do we have thick players incapable of learning?

crossy1686

career ending
Andy Mitten said he spoke to Ten Hag last week and he said they don't have time to train due to fixture congestion so it's all video home work and tactics room stuff at the moment with the games being the 'exam'. It's not working Eric, they need double sessions, and right now.

Water Melon

3 points more than last season having spent a fortune in the summer? I do not see a genius coach, nor do I believe new owners will give him carte blanche or allow him to keep his position if we fail to qualify for CL.

Cela shomana

I am fully expecting people to ignore us being the team who played the most games this season with terrible squad depth, that we had many key player injuries/suspensions through the season, the big progress we made in spite of all that, I am expecting all that being ignored and we just blame Ten Hag, easy solution.

Oh yeah, also blame Weghorst, that is given.
So his substitutions made sense to you? Substituting all players who can defend high balls against team like New Castle? playing Mc Tom and Woghs as our Frontline players and Bruno as a 8? Ten Hag is top Manager but today loss is on him

EI Beatle

The performance and his subs really poor, And to think he was talking about the season starts today, he's lucky we have 2 home games next and a trip to Forest

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He'll hopefully learn from days like these.
I doubt it. He has "Pep" inside him. Likes to be smart with formations and lineups. Nothing wrong in that. But there is a difference when you move around the pitch players like Kdb, Rodri, Gundogan, Silva, Walker etc...and when you do it with average players.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Baffling subs and team selection today. Why did Antony go off? What happened to Fred? Why were both centre-backs subbed off at the end? So many questionable choices...
The subs bamboozled us even more, the result should have been 3-0 by then anyway.
How does Weghorst start games and how a top 4 candidate with injury woes and without a ST can only afford 2 mediocre loans is truly unbelievable.

justsomebloke

3 points more than last season having spent a fortune in the summer? I do not see a genius coach, nor do I believe new owners will give him carte blanche or allow him to keep his position if we fail to qualify for CL.
Oh, for heaven's sake. Have you been watching the team play? Of course they're better.

3KDré

None of those were here last season and the managers got no sympathy. Shouldn't really be any different for ETH to be honest.
And last season if we had lost these games we would not be as frustrated as we are now. Because the standards are higher (rightfully so). That doesn't mean we can expect every game for Ten Hag to be spot on. Don't get me wrong, he got it horribly wrong today, and at Brighton, Brentford, Man City and Liverpool and should be held accountable for this. I am just saying, look at all of those games and there is one common denominator - Casemiro was not there (Liverpool he may as well not have been). In every other top team when their CDM is gone they've got someone who is actually a CDM as a backup. We have McTominay - a bottom half PL player.

Biggins

So is Erik without Casemiro basically no better than Ole? :nervous:
Ole had every occasion over 2 seasons to find his Casemiro. In the first transfer window ETH brought 2 cms so clearly he identified this area as priority. Now these 2 cms are suspended/injured and we play like sh*t… go figure!

Valencia Shin Crosses

This is actually the reason I doubt how much influence a manager has at the end of the day. Had Lindeloff scored and in extra time Sancho would have made the winner, ETH would have been lauded as an absolute genius. Now you concede one extra and it is seen as a ridiculous call. The line between brilliance and insanity is a thin one and the outcome decides for which one we opt but in the end it is almost always pure luck.
Nonsense, Lindelof scoring that instead of Varane wouldn't have made a difference, the decision is the same as when managers choose to take off defensive midfielders for more attackers when chasing a game. Unless it's the 90th minute and you have them pinned in, it's idiotic because you just lose control and become much looser at the back. Martinez is also arguably our best distributor in the team when Casemiro and Eriksen are out, and Varane is immense in the air dealing with crosses.

It was a stupid decision no matter the outcome because the reasoning behind it is illogical.

Dan_F

All our progress seems gone now. Where is the ETH style of play? We are back to Ole and Rangnick style. Negative counter attacking play with players seems don't know each other
Yes. Almost like they’ve had no time to actually train at all. Play in the Europa on Thursday, back in Manchester for a cool down and analysis on Friday. Maybe a morning of light training Saturday, then a game Sunday. Repeat that for Monday-Wednesday.

Remember Pep finished 4th in his first season at City, Klopp and Arteta way back from that. Football isn’t easy.

Dannn411

By the way, if we do not make the Champions League this season with Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs having terrible sasons, this season is a failure.

Rajma

It is not the reason we lost today but the midfield with Bruno won’t challenge for anything big, I hope he understands it and the summer should answer us many questions about him.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If you go down the table I think there's fundamental issue with our away performances. A few have been comfortable but I don't think we've had any really good away performances in the PL.

10th - Fulham. We needed a minute winner
11th - Chelsea. We needed a last minute equaliser
12th - Palace. Conceded a last minute equaliser
13th - Wolves. Late Rashford winner
14th - West Ham. Away match to come
15th - Forrest. Away match to come
16th - Bournemouth. Away match to come
17th - Leeds. Two very late goals to win it.
18th - Everton. Pretty comfortable 2-1 win
19th - Leicester. Comfortable 1-0 win.
20th - Soton. 1-0 win that I don't remember.
In most of those games we were not team which dominated. In most of them we were the team which played mostly on counters (but not sitting deep which is on the other hand good thing).

In home games we play nice attacking football. I don't know why we don't do it in away games.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Yeah the drop off is a big concern. Only having 3 more points than our worst ever season is a big red flag for me. We should be absolutely miles ahead of that given the money spent. Regardless of injuries/suspensions.

Away form absolutely shocking and the team is not showing any form of tactical development.

Interesting.

justboy68

Jesus what an absolute car crash of a post :lol:

Starting to come around to the idea that coaches overall make pretty minimal difference, maybe 10% here or there. The post is not a car crash it's entirely possible until proven otherwise.

Lee565

What does say about ten hag if spurs finish above us in a season they sacked conte for not being good enough....

I want to defend ten hag but we aren't looking like a more well drilled side under ten hag as the season goes on but instead we are just getting worse and back to looking as awful as we witnessed in previous seasons

Valencia Shin Crosses

Look I'm not going to get into the histrionics of "WOW we are so bad without Casemiro!" because Ten Hag can't do anything about the options he has there. There's no right answer. But the tactical decision to play Sabitzer (an attacking 8) with Bruno (a fecking 10 with terrible ball retention) as a pivot behind McTominay destroyed any chance we had of growing into the game. Add that with this fecking weird obsession with starting the worst striker in the PL up top and you get a team that can't control shit and will lose possession unnecessarily way too often for the actual threat we pose on the break.

He got it bare fecking wrong today

SB16

We've regressed really badly since the Carabao Cup final. I don't think we've put in a really good performance in any game since then. The season's take its toll on us and losing key players in Martial, Eriksen, and Casemiro has really shocked our system. I suspect the players are running on fumes, too.

Some of his tactical decisions today were baffling. I just can't understand why he took Martinez off, seeing as he's the only one in our team who can pass the ball more than 5 yards.