Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I am fussed much about Europa league given that we achieved top 4 to get into champions league. I know it's a big source of debate here. Hopefully we never play in Europa league again!
It’s probably in our best interest not to be in that final anyway when we have the FA cup this weekend. Means we have a full week to prepare but if we don’t win the FA cup then this would have been another trophy we could have had.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Not sure if this has been mentioned before but:

United away to top 10 - 4 points, 1 win.
City away to top 10 - 9 points, 2 wins.

I'd wager, bar Arsenal, the rest were just as bad.

EliasRavelino

Supports
Sevilla
For the first time since Sir Alex, there is a belief that we have the right man for the job. Despite the ups and downs, I never doubted EtH’s capabilities to manage this team. He needs to be backed in the summer so that we don’t waste the one appointment we have got right in the last decade. He is not a miracle worker, no one except SAF was/is, and if we don’t get the right players in, we may in for a tough season next year.
Talking of SAF, I wonder how much assistance and advice he has given to EtH this season, do they get along? does anyone with inside knowledge of the club know? I remember right back at the start of the season - the day CR7 eventually returned for pre-season - Sir Alex was spotted at the training ground and media people put 2 and 2 together to suggest that was something to do with Ronaldo. But the club said "No" and in fact Sir Alex and Bryan Robson were there with another person (who's name escapes me) because they were setting up a footballing consultancy/think-tank thing to help the new Manager.

I wonder how much 'help' it provided over what must be considered a decent season for United, getting top-4 being the key to attracting better players and also helping smooth through the take-over. Or will EtH have told them that he would rather Manage the club himself, without back-seat drivers, even ones as legendary as SAF and Captain Marvel.

It is a shame there wasn't one of those Netflix documentaries set at Man United this last season, it would have been very entertaining, especially around the time of the World Cup break and the whole Ronaldo/Piers Morgan drama which I think the club and EtH handled really well.

Reactions: Cheimoon

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Talking of SAF, I wonder how much assistance and advice he has given to EtH this season, do they get along? does anyone with inside knowledge of the club know? I remember right back at the start of the season - the day CR7 eventually returned for pre-season - Sir Alex was spotted at the training ground and media people put 2 and 2 together to suggest that was something to do with Ronaldo. But the club said "No" and in fact Sir Alex and Bryan Robson were there with another person (who's name escapes me) because they were setting up a footballing consultancy/think-tank thing to help the new Manager.

I wonder how much 'help' it provided over what must be considered a decent season for United, getting top-4 being the key to attracting better players and also helping smooth through the take-over. Or will EtH have told them that he would rather Manage the club himself, without back-seat drivers, even ones as legendary as SAF and Captain Marvel.

It is a shame there wasn't one of those Netflix documentaries set at Man United this last season, it would have been very entertaining, especially around the time of the World Cup break and the whole Ronaldo/Piers Morgan drama which I think the club and EtH handled really well.
EtH said this about his relationship with Sir Alex in the recent Times interview:

"After Sir Alex left, the culture changed over the years. One of the biggest qualities Sir Alex had was to have high standards.

”I wanted to bring it back in, so that everyone in this organisation lives the highest standards and the football players too.

“I talk to Sir Alex regularly. He gives his opinion and I’m happy to have that opinion. With all his experiences and his intelligence it’s really valuable to talk with him. From Sir Alex, I learn a lot because he’s such a legend. It gives me inspiration, how to manage."

“Definitely [whether he shares Ferguson's mentality when it comes to winning and losing]. If you want to be that winner, you have to feel a loss a long time in your stomach. You can’t lose. If you lose, you question everything and I start with myself and look in the mirror.”

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
“You don’t control games by relying on one player, you do so by employing a better system and a good chunk of that is what you do off-the-ball - fans only care about what players do on-the-ball” - spot on.
I was banging this drum for years now.

Last edited:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He's finished with 3 points less than Pep finished with City in his first season, and Ten Hag's starting point was way worse. And at least one more trophy than Pep managed too.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Great interview in NL with ETH. "I don't think of City. I think of United because we have a final to win."

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He has a massive job in the summer. Getting battered and dominated every time we come up against someone half decent won't be tolerated next season.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He’ll get a clear picture here of what’s needed in the summer. Clearly he sees the keeper is a big issue.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He’ll get a clear picture here of what’s needed in the summer. Clearly he sees the keeper is a big issue.
I think he already knows what's needed. After more than 50 games played, I don't think this one changes anything.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Tactically outplaying Pep in this first half..

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Might be a bit of Captain Hindsight but Eriksen should have been off at half time.

Both goals he just let Gundogan wander around unmarked on the edge of our box. We got away with it once but second time is too much.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
He did well, set the team up as best as he could against a much superior opponent. Give him the right players for next season and I'm sure we'll be challenging again

L1nk

I love the man but if he chooses to keep and play DDG next season, especially after this final, then so be it on his head because it will eventually cost him

luke511

Playing Fernandes out of position vs playing him and Garnacho in their natural positions from the start is a persistent headscratcher. Choosing Weghorst over Pellestri to replace Sancho is also quite baffling.

el3mel

Ultimately, entering the season depending on Martial killed us. It's a near miracle we finished 3rd when you think about it. With Martial injured literally all the time he had no other options than to play Eriksen in this final because the only other relative is playing Weghorst.

Should have never depended on Martial to start with.

Hopefully the club have learned their mistake and sign a reliable striker this summer, otherwise good luck with the exact same problem when it matters the most next year.

Irwin99

Tactically i thought EtH did well today, we just haven't had the quality.

No lack of effort, just a lack of quality.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He couldn’t have done much more with the players available. Unlike many claim, I don’t feel we are miles away from competing at the highest level. We are a gk, a good striker and a cm (who can keep and pass a football at a high level) away.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
ETH did well today. We just need a proper attacking forward and DDG needs to be second choice goalkeeper if he stays

Manncunian

He couldn’t have done much more with the players available. Unlike many claim, I don’t feel we are miles away from competing at the highest level. We are a gk, a good striker and a cm (who can keep and pass a football at a high level) away.
Agreed.

PoTMS

How can you keep both Eriksen and Sancho on after that first half?