Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 430 48.3%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 461 51.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

croadyman

Who cares about rivals laughing at us? This is a United forum and any rival who has an issue with it is free to leave.
Incredible energy you invest to put down our own manager who is clearly taking us into the right direction. You must be still hurt from your hero deservedly losing the EL final recently.
Oh I see he's a Mourinho fanboy

romufc

Agreed. With Martial and Antony out our attacking options were so limited, but bringing Garnacho on against tired legs almost paid off. After Rodri missed that header to make it 2-0 early on i was scared it was going to be a massacre but I thought we contained them pretty well after that. The stupid goals we conceded cost us the game, not the tactics.

Hopefully Inter and Inzaghi were watching that and it gave them food for thought.
I mean how many times have we seen City score early and its 4,5-0 to them. The way we fought back showed good mentality imo. I have seen the usual youtuber's saying same old United, bottlers but I didnt see it that way, I thought we done well and it showed we lacked quality in areas.

I actually heard someone say "I would prefer if we went toe to toe and lost 5-0 instead of shit goals they scored", some fans you cannot win with.

Think Ten Hag with another pre season should make us alot more competitive in big games.

croadyman

On DDG and Mount.
De Gea needs to go I will give you that,however have had just about enough of Mount being slandered by our fanbase. Look we shouldn't pay over £50m but FFS give the guy half a chance before writing off

Alfie092

De Gea needs to go I will give you that,however have had just about enough of Mount being slandered by our fanbase. Look we shouldn't pay over £50m but FFS give the guy half a chance before writing off
Like I said, you're in the minority.

IF ETH wants him and he is his first choice to play the #8 role then I will back it (like most fans then will) but doesn't mean we have to blindly back it and stay quiet without questioning the reasoning as to why Mount of all the options out there in world football? Having seen Mount play several times for both Chelsea and England, including in the flesh live, It's quite clear the skillsets Mount offers as a player in terms of his strengths and weaknesses and by that you can tell the route ETH wants to go down in terms of style of play.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Most agree with me.
I don't agree with the other poster on many things but calling on the Glazers to sack our best manager since Fergie is a bannable offence, especially since the phrasing leads me to suspect a troll

Marwood

Who cares about rivals laughing at us? This is a United forum and any rival who has an issue with it is free to leave.
Incredible energy you invest to put down our own manager who is clearly taking us into the right direction. You must be still hurt from your hero deservedly losing the EL final recently.
It's not putting down ETH to say he's not in the same bracket as Guardiola. It's just an undeniable fact unless you're suffering with incredible bias. It doesn't mean ETH isn't rated.

You'd think United fans would have learned by now to cool their jets on managers and players until we're actually back to where we should be.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
ETH wants Mount and players like DDG to stay. Weak mindset and not ruthless enough. Worry about the style of football he is trying to implement.

Hopefully the Glazers realise he is not the manager we thought he would be and instead sold us dreams.
What dreams has he sold and when were the sales?

Robbie Boy

At least ETH being compared to Pep is much better than the fecking weirdos on here who tried to compare Ole to Klopp.

Last edited:

Stacks

Ye we did quite well I think. I think if we had Antony in this game it could have been a difference maker as we had no width at all. Sancho kept coming in the middle. Garnacho brought width in the 2nd halve. What I like though is that we actually went head to head with them where as previous years we’d sit behind the ball and get hammered. ETH is trying to build a team that takes risk and goes head to head with the best.
he played against them twice and they were comfortable dealing with him. Barely in the games but popped up with a goal during garbage time in one, and the other got subbed at half time before we went on to win

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I don't get this line of thinking. So we spent big money renewing an underperforming goalkeeper, AND we spend big money bringing in a new one?

I thought we had budgetary concerns with regards to squad building?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Doesn't it depend on who he brings in as a rival to DDG. ETH has said he wants another goalie to rival him. If it is a Raya type then he means business. If it is a Heaton type then DDG is safe, even though he shouldn't be.

romufc

I dont know what evidence there is to even condone getting rid of Ten Hag. He has come in a difficult season and done well. Yes, I know we have had some batterings and we don't play the football most people thought we would under Ten Hag.

However; he has shown he learns from mistakes, City beat us 6-3 and the 2 games after that we were tactically better, losing 7-0 is a bad one and I am hoping Ten Hag puts it right next time we go to Anfield.

We have seen improvement and we have seen a tactical plan in some games.

We need to back him this summer then see what we can do.

croadyman

Doesn't it depend on who he brings in as a rival to DDG. ETH has said he wants another goalie to rival him. If it is a Raya type then he means business. If it is a Heaton type then DDG is safe, even though he shouldn't be.
Meaning business is getting Costa not someone who will probably be zero threat whatsoever

croadyman

I dont know what evidence there is to even condone getting rid of Ten Hag. He has come in a difficult season and done well. Yes, I know we have had some batterings and we don't play the football most people thought we would under Ten Hag.

However; he has shown he learns from mistakes, City beat us 6-3 and the 2 games after that we were tactically better, losing 7-0 is a bad one and I am hoping Ten Hag puts it right next time we go to Anfield.

We have seen improvement and we have seen a tactical plan in some games.

We need to back him this summer then see what we can do.
Those leeches need to back him

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Meaning business is getting Costa not someone who will probably be zero threat whatsoever
Well yes. He might want to rotate the position more. Get a goalie who suits his style but does not have the deficiencies regarding commanding his area. DDG is fine against some teams, but others have the capabilities to exploit his weaknesses more. Problem we have is despite these weaknesses he managed to win the Golden Glove conceding very few goals at home.

croadyman

Well yes. He might want to rotate the position more. Get a goalie who suits his style but does not have the deficiencies regarding commanding his area. DDG is fine against some teams, but others have the capabilities to exploit his weaknesses more. Problem we have is despite these weaknesses he managed to win the Golden Glove conceding very few goals at home.
Yeah unfortunately it gives him leverage

klsv

ETH wants Mount and players like DDG to stay. Weak mindset and not ruthless enough. Worry about the style of football he is trying to implement.

Hopefully the Glazers realise he is not the manager we thought he would be and instead sold us dreams.
You just said you'd start Mount over Bruno in another thread. If this is sarcasm, I have to give you credit. If not, you should choose another team to support, maybe a new sport to follow.

nickm

And what else?

But surely there's a bigger question mark as things stand about ETH i.e. hasn't yet won a major title in one of the top leagues/top European competitions.

I like ETH but he's got it all to prove still and is 53.
He came to first team management later than Guardiola and has been doing it really for about 6 years compared to 15. Different career paths. I am not sure what the point of comparing them is.

el3mel

He's not too good to take over a sleeping giant. Until he takes a serious challenge, it's hard to put him in the same bracket as the likes of SAF and the other greats. The man has had the three easiest jobs any manager could ask for.
It's not his fault he's so good that only elite clubs can hire him. This argument is redundant and just ridiculous.

Guardiola has nothing to prove to anyone.

Acquire Me

There's no world in which Ten Hag is currently comparable to Guardiola, one of the best managers in the history of the sport. Delusion at its finest. You can think there's something special in him without making our rivals laugh at us.
I really don’t care if you or them think I am delusional. I am not comparing him with silverware and honours. I am saying I think he is the real deal and I know many agree. It’s just stupid and unfair to compare them with those criteria.

el3mel

I really don’t care if you or them think I am delusional. I am not comparing him with silverware and honours. I am saying I think he is the real deal and I know many agree. It’s just stupid and unfair to compare them with those criteria.
Then you shouldn't have compared them to start with.

romufc

It's not his fault he's so good that only elite clubs can hire him. This argument is redundant and just ridiculous.

Guardiola has nothing to prove to anyone.
Yep, he has shown what he can do given the backing.

You could also argue, managers that given the smaller clubs and over achieving cannot make the step to winning trophies.

When you hire Pep, it signals intent that you are looking to win silverware. Its not a 3/4 year project either, its 1 year and dominate.

Alfie092

You just said you'd start Mount over Bruno in another thread. If this is sarcasm, I have to give you credit. If not, you should choose another team to support, maybe a new sport to follow.
And in that thread I said I'm not the biggest fan of Mount! But at the same time I would start him ahead of Bruno, in particular in the big games. Lesser games, Bruno.

nickm

On DDG and Mount.
The one thing I've learned about fans is we know jack shit about signings.

"Everyone agreed" that Fergie was mad to let Ince, Hughes and Kanchelskis leave and rely on Beckham, Scholes etc.
"Everyone agreed" Dwight Yorke was an uninspired signing.
"Everyone agreed" Ronaldo coming back was a brilliant idea.
"Everyone agreed" Michael Carrick was an underwhelming, over priced signing to replace Roy Keane.

Alfie092

"Everyone agreed" that Fergie was mad to let Ince, Hughes and Kanchelskis leave and rely on Beckham, Scholes etc.
"Everyone agreed" signing Michael Carrick was an underwhelming signing to replace Roy Keane.
Doesn't mean the manager is always right over the fans. All we are doing is giving our opinions, not like we are the actual decision-makers.

If it was down to me, I admit, I would be horrendous and would hire the most suitable candidate for the job to make the big decisions.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

"Everyone agreed" Michael Carrick was an underwhelming, over priced signing to replace Roy Keane.
That’s 4 examples out of hundreds of signings in 30 odd years. A well informed football fan can certainly have well informed opinions on potential signings.

How many football fans on the internet are well informed, well, that’s another story…..

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
It's not putting down ETH to say he's not in the same bracket as Guardiola. It's just an undeniable fact unless you're suffering with incredible bias. It doesn't mean ETH isn't rated.

You'd think United fans would have learned by now to cool their jets on managers and players until we're actually back to where we should be.
So what? Maybe it should be a bannable offence on the Caf if ETH is compared to Pep. It clearly hurts some United fans’ feelings.
People are compared all the time, yes even put in the same bracket regularly. Bloody Arteta has been compared the entire season to Klopp and Pep, and ETH has achieved much more in his career than Arteta.
Are people allowed to compare Klopp or Tuchel to Pep as you know one has won so much more than the others but also under completely different circumstances?
Every United manager has and will for decades be compared to the most successful United manager ever. So what? Should we write an essay every time this happens?
It’s alright to state Pep has achieved much more than ETH or is better, but with some posters there is a trend. They can’t take anything positive being said about ETH and even on the rare occasion they give him credit it is backhanded with but the 7-0, 6-3, 4-0, blah blah.
On a similar note I rate Rooney and RvP equally, both brilliant players despite one having crucial contributions towards a grand total of 1 PL title and the other towards 5 PL and 1CL titles. No contest in terms of achievements.
Maybe I am as crazy thinking this as the poster who compared ETH to Pep.

evil_geko

Doesn't mean the manager is always right over the fans. All we are doing is giving our opinions, not like we are the actual decision-makers.

If it was down to me, I admit, I would be horrendous and would hire the most suitable candidate for the job to make the big decisions.
There is one thing to have doubts over signing and expressing them, another thing to say bullshit like "he doesn't fit our team (thinking you know who fits our team better than the man actually planning the tactics)" "flop (before even kicking the ball)" "terrible player (while admitting to watch him several times ffs)".

And then posting thing like ETH being weak minded just because he wants the player you don't like? That is not "different opinion", that is bunch of bollocks.

Acquire Me

Then you shouldn't have compared them to start with.
Jesus, just give this a rest. It’s perfectly fine to say I believe that he will become very successful as a manager and that I think he is on the same level. Fine I give you that we can’t compare them head to head with criteria as silverware and honours, but that was never my intention in the first place.

I might be wrong as well, maybe it turns out that he never got that elite manager level. But tbh, it’s something mad and crazy over him. Also this is his first really big club and he did not take over a club who was thriving.

I think he has done fantastic in his first season against a lot of bad odds.

Anyhow, I’m done now :) I rate the guy more than you and we can go on without discussing this topic more.

Alfie092

There is one thing to have doubts over signing and expressing them, another thing to say bullshit like "he doesn't fit our team (thinking you know who fits our team better than the man actually planning the tactics)" "flop (before even kicking the ball)" "terrible player (while admitting to watch him several times ffs)".

And then posting thing like ETH being weak minded just because he wants the player you don't like? That is not "different opinion", that is bunch of bollocks.

Never called Mount a bad player, he would in fact be a quality squad player, used in a rotational role but yes, I can express my concerns if he is the only midfield signing we make based on what I believe he offers and as I have previously stated, if Mount is the only midfield signing, I will back the decision, like any new signing even if I do not feel over the moon about it and give them a chance before I reassess. Like a lot of fans, we are wrong about certain players and sometimes we are right about it too even before they have signed.

And calling ETH weak minded for potentially handing DDG a new contract and retaining him as our #1 is weak minded IMO, when he is basically out of contract and we can easily get rid, like most top clubs would have! Majority of the fanbase want a new #1 GK.

manutddjw

I 100% believe Ten Hag is the one to lead us forward, my main concern isn't with him, it's with the club. I can easily see this being a repeat of Jose's and Ole's second season where we looked to be on the right path and then we decided to not back the manager.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He seems sometimes too versatile for his own good even though it’s beautiful to watch when it works.

He should have seen that Sancho as a LW didn’t work all season and was performing better as a RW - he used Sancho’s versatility and put him back in his worse position.

Weghorst at 10 as well.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Never called Mount a bad player, he would in fact be a quality squad player, used in a rotational role but yes, I can express my concerns if he is the only midfield signing we make based on what I believe he offers and as I have previously stated, if Mount is the only midfield signing, I will back the decision, like any new signing even if I do not feel over the moon about it and give them a chance before I reassess. Like a lot of fans, we are wrong about certain players and sometimes we are right about it too even before they have signed.

And calling ETH weak minded for potentially handing DDG a new contract and retaining him as our #1 is weak minded IMO, when he is basically out of contract and we can easily get rid, like most top clubs would have! Majority of the fanbase want a new #1 GK.
Weak minded because he has to juggle a limited budget across a few positions we need strengthening in and to top it off, EtH has himself recently stated how he wants his GK to play which suggests he sees it exactly as we do but knows we might not have the budget. Weird reasoning to want him sacked.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
he played against them twice and they were comfortable dealing with him. Barely in the games but popped up with a goal during garbage time in one, and the other got subbed at half time before we went on to win
Ye but this was a different game and a different situation. There was bare space for him to do stuff out wide plus he’d of been able to hold the ball up and run with it better then the likes of sancho for example.