Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

Votes: 376 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 1,043 73.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm starting to turn now. That's the way that City despatch of lower midtable teams, just an even no-stress, inevitable march to victory. Sick of Rashford and Bruno and he has made them his untouchables.
These two are why we can't possibly play possession football. Or "control" the ball like Ten Hag initially said was the aim.
He's had to ditch it and try and make us a big transitional team but we don't look that either now.

He's got time, getting the first choice defence back will help. But that might be in 5-6 weeks when the season will be shot away. League wise at least.

Pirlo'sBeard

We know how this ends. He's not helping himself continuously playing underperforming players. If he doesn't drop big players and try something new, he'll be gone before Christmas.

CM

Honestly if we drop EtH before any changes are made at the top of the club and continued lack of investment in facilities I'm not sure why anyone can for one sec think it will get better after what ...5 managers?
Maybe it won't but what are we waiting for with him exactly? We've been tragic all season and only look like getting worse. The only player who had made significant progress under him was Rashford last season and even he has returned to his form of the season prior. He isn't getting the best out of any of these players.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
The reasons that I will sack Erik is mainly transfer decisions and stubbornness. He set us back almost 400 million by benefiting his old club, agent and players. He insistence of playing Rashford, Bruno, McTominay and Lindeloft is amazing.
You are sacking noone :lol:

Lentwood

It's even more frustrating watching this team than it was under LvG, under Jose and under Ole for me.

I feel like ETH has a better, bigger, more rounded squad than those managers had, with individuals who are working hard and pulling in the same direction for him - yet despite this we're so awful to watch, the only thing you can say is we look a badly coached side

LInkash

Hell no, today we actually had a few decent chances. That 2-0 was worse than the 7-0. We didn't even bother running :lol:

Except it wasn't. Ole ball at its worst had us being thumped 4-0 to a relegated Watford side, before we talk about how we fare against City.
That was towards the end of his reign, when Ole tried to do something different to his usual Ole ball - tried to take the next step up/also accommodate Ronaldo.

Peak Ole ball was effective and made perfect use of our players.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You might be right but this doesn’t feel a lot better. Same old shit with no progress being made. You still believe in ETH?
Yeah, I don't think he would have enjoyed picking that team today. He doesn't have the players he wants to implement the style, but a lot of that is on him of course for poor transfer management.

Thing is, transfers shouldn't be his remit as much as it has been. I blame the structure for this. I want him to focus on coaching and management. Hes been poor this season of course, but somewhat stabilised results before today.

We are in an era of knee jerk moans but he will probably still be the quickest United manager since Fergie (or in United history?) to hit 50 PL wins. So there's enough goodwill to give him time to see whatever patch this is out.

the_cliff

I've been a big defender of him but he's got 140 mill of his own signings on the bench (Mount and Antony).

RedStarUnited

Yet again, he set the team up well and they looked good for the first 15-20 minutes, and then fell apart. I honestly don't know whether to take that in an optimistic or pessimistic direction, but that's the reality of the way we have played this year. Credit him for setting us up well, or criticise for his total inability to react and adjust to the flow of a game?

The transfer policy/signings aspect of his reign are absolutely unforgiveable.
Or maybe teams take 20 minutes to figure us out and batter us from there on.

Cpl Hicks

Honestly if we drop EtH before any changes are made at the top of the club and continued lack of investment in facilities I'm not sure why anyone can for one sec think it will get better after what ...5 managers?
This and this only.

Ollie Derbyshire

If these performances continue when the takeover nonsense is completed they’ll get rid of him for a fresh start. He’s not implementing any philosophy and the players he’s brought in and generally been awful.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That was towards the end of his reign, when Ole tried to do something different to his usual Ole ball - tried to take the next step up/also accommodate Ronaldo.

Peak Ole ball was effective and made perfect use of our players.
And an adapted version of Ten Hag ball had him finishing on more points than Ole ever did with a cup. What's your point? I'm talking about Ole at his worst vs Ten Hag at his worst.

Zlatanator

If you sack him now, we just might stay in hunt for all trophies. If you sack him a month later, we will be out of atleast 2 competitions.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He should walk away to protect his reputation, gotta feeling Carrick is next in line....
Yes, he’s an amazing manager who has done wonderful job and should protect himself now because we have let him down so badly.

Teams who are worst coached than us in the PL:

Bournemouth

I think every other team in the league, all 18, can keep the ball better than us and move the ball through the first two thirds cleaner.

binary bot
Clubs change managers when it's not working, yes. Sticking with a manager that evidently is not up to it because "we have changed managers before" makes no sense.
The worry is that we’re changing manager to let the next one repeat much of the same mistakes.

ETH has had some shockers but a lot of them he shouldn’t have had the opportunity to make.

I think a lot of people were hoping this would be the last manager under the current owners / leadership. But it looks like that could be another 2-3 years yet.

the club is rotten and we’re in a terrible predicament now, I don’t think there’s a wrong decision anymore

padr81

Supports
Man City
Don't kill me for this view, I like him but he has to go.

he's gone from trying to play progressive attacking football to being absolutely soul destroyed, stumbled past 2 teams that United have the quality to paste in the last week and his tactics today were baffling.
I know it's a makeshift back 5 but Bruno on the right was a shocker, it allowed Grealish, Bernardo and Gvaridol to do as they pleased, it removed Bruno from getting on the ball and knocking in through passes one of the few things he excels at, he played McTominay as they weird kind of Frank Lampard role and left Amrabat with an ancient Eriksn to try and stop an attacking midfield of Grealish, Bernardo, Foden and Alvarez.

Then he subs off his no.9 (who did look ok and best of Uniteds front 3 imho) waits till the game is dead to bring on any players with a chance of getting you back in the game. Not to mention United played the last 10 minutes like a team who were angry and had downed tools at the same time.

Good manager but it hasn't worked out I feel and he's so desperate he's making things worse.

RedRocket9908

These poor performances arnt down to the Glazers or anyone upstairs they are down to the manager who has spent 400m and made us worse than we were under Moyes, Erik is simply unable to get any kind of performance out of a side assembled at massive expense and his ridiculous\bizarre team selections, tactics, and subs dont help.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Why play Lindelof left back when we have Reguilon?

Why play Evans at centre half when he's
our 5th choice?

Why play Bruno out on the right when he plays through the middle?

Why is Rashford starting instead of Garnacho when he's out of form?

Why is McTominay starting ahead of Mount when we paid 60m for him.

What is going on?

sdb4884

Times up Erik, the players you've brought in just haven't been good enough & your tactics have failed big time. I don' know where we go from here but he's not our guy unfortunately.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Clubs change managers when it's not working, yes. Sticking with a manager that evidently is not up to it because "we have changed managers before" makes no sense.
Changing managers because one has had a bad patch whilst ignoring all context makes even less sense.

The Mount signing alone - for £55m with a £250k per week contract - is a sackable offence by itself, before you even get onto the mountain of other issues.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Don't kill me for this view, I like him but he has to go.

he's gone from trying to play progressive attacking football to being absolutely soul destroyed, stumbled past 2 teams that United have the quality to paste in the last week and his tactics today were baffling.
I know it's a makeshift back 5 but Bruno on the right was a shocker, it allowed Grealish, Bernardo and Gvaridol to do as they pleased, it removed Bruno from getting on the ball and knocking in through passes one of the few things he excels at, he played McTominay as they weird kind of Frank Lampard role and left Amrabat with an ancient Eriksn to try and stop an attacking midfield of Grealish, Bernardo, Foden and Alvarez.

Then he subs off his no.9 (who did look ok and best of Uniteds front 3 imho) waits till the game is dead to bring on any players with a chance of getting you back in the game. Not to mention United played the last 10 minutes like a team who were angry and had downed tools at the same time.

Good manager but it hasn't worked out I feel and he's so desperate he's making things worse.
Bit of a shame you're a City fan (well, obviously not for your mental health) but you pretty much express what all of us think.

Someone

Something
It's a shame but I think his time is up. He's unable to influence the players at this moment. We've regressed from last season, and the team now lacks character and substance. This isn't a man who has the dressing room.

In another universe he could've been successful, had he signed the right players and not just those he's familiar with. A complete waste of hundreds of millions on more of the same.

We won't sack him now though, we know how we act as a club. We'll wait till it gets much much worse, till we're out of all competitions and with no hope of a CL spot.

cobyahk

I don't think ETH wanted hojlund over kane or arambrat over rice , he wanted these players but like every window , glazers don't deliver, we need 500 mil every window if we need to improve , city is doing that they changed players every season since 2009 till they got what they wanted

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He has made as big a mess as Ole. So much deadwood signed. The next manager is screwed already. The combined deadwood of the last two managers is insane. Not to mention the likes of Shaw,Lindelof,Martial etc who were here before them.

flappyjay

I want sacked but I know its just an endless cycle. If he goes Murtough has to follow.

city-puma

I miss Ole and Fred.
we lost creativity in the midfield.
The players have been trying so hard but the whole team was disjointed. It’s almost always individual playing. By the end, the team was exhausted and well beaten. I don’t know what else our players can do under ETH. I am hugely disappointed.

Swedish_Plumber

He’ll be gone and we’ll have (insert saviour here) in for the start of next season. Maybe some lampard type standing in as caretaker but then he’ll do well. So we’ll scrap (insert saviour here) and stick with TempBoss. And the merry go round continues.

It’s about as predictable as it gets. We’re run by absolute morons who have no idea how to actually help build a successful football side.

Ten hag has been terrible these last few months, but it’s a result of poor transfer strategy and keeping players who we all know cannot play a progressive style.

It will not change getting someone else in.

Piskin

No more excuses for Ten Hag, that today was clueless & gutless. He is awful managing on the line in games. The Ajax collapse against Spurs in the CL semi-final in 2019 was telling.. His signings have been mostly awful and we have yet to see a discerning style of football. City toyed with us today but Liverpool will go for the jugular in a few weeks.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The best football we've played since Sir Alex was under Ole, and nothing I've watched in the last year or so will convince me otherwise.
One penalty's difference in the Europa League final is all that separates ETH and him. And I'd take Ole's football over this awful, joyless nonsense any day of the week.
Yep. And a very hollow Carabao.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
He has made as big a mess as Ole. So much deadwood signed. The next manager is screwed already. The combined deadwood of the last two managers is insane. Not to mention the likes of Shaw,Lindelof,Martial etc who were here before them.
Given the way the owners have completely screwed our FFP obligations and the debt, the next manager may not have much to spend....