Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 386 45.6%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 460 54.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He's got to be the most lucky crap manager. Two pens against the run of play so far to keep pressure off him.

Max_United

What I like about him is that he has shown an ability to make players better, especially young players.

Dalot, Mainoo, AWB, Hojlund, Garnacho, McT, even Rashford last season.

Of course there are failures too and these things don't happen in a straight line. But name one player Moyes made better. Or Jose. Or Ole.
The likes of Shaw and Rashford at the start of EtH tenure were much better players than when they made debuts under LvG.

So if you give manager most of the credit for player improvement as you do for EtH then Ole, LvG and JM did well to improve them.

and it should work both ways - then EtH should be critiqued heavily for such a rapid decline of Rashford this season. Otherwise why he gets credit when players are improving or playing well but when they are playing badly or stagnating it is their or someone else’s fault

CM

It's like we're playing on a shot clock countdown. Nothing happening in the middle third on the pitch. Does he know we're allowed to slow the game down?

RedRover

But if the club’s incompetent through and through , how can any manager succeed and meet elite level targets in a club that’s nowhere near elite level run?

And don’t give me “well we could at least play decent football”, that’s not good enough. If we were doing that people would be complaining that we aren’t even close to competing. The club isn’t setup to succeed, so when things start going wrong we fall badly , just like league winning teams whose form collapses the season after winning a league. Negative momentum and loss in form can cripple a team.

This happens to all United managers because the club throws money at the problem without fixing the underlying issues. They are expected to challange for the league “cause 400 million spent” in an environment that a mid table club wouldn’t be happy with. Our club doesn’t help managers , it undermines them, particularly with awful squad balances and pathetic loan alternatives.
So are you saying that no manager could be doing a better job?

I think any sane fan realises how poorly run the club has been, and to some extent that's bought most managers time and some patience. I personally think anyone taking on this job under the old regime (we'll see how the new regime do) had a huge job navigating that. Ten Hag has been given too much say in transfers it turns out and he has to take some of the flak for the recruitment.

It all looked promising before the Carabao Cup final and now it looks very much like the wheels have come off.

The structure of the club isn't responsible for what Ten Hag and his team are doing on the training ground, the openness of the system he's employing week after week, the decisions he makes in game or the deluded ramblings to the press after the City game. That's all on him.

I personally didn't expect him to be challenging for the title after a season, but I expected better than what we're currently getting and some form of a system and style developing, even if it was a bit rough and ready. We don't look like a team in transition but one in regression. There's no obvious indication that whatever he's trying to do is going to work.

For what it's worth I think there's no point sacking him now before the executive structure is sorted, but I personally think it's unlikely he'll be here next year barring a major improvement in performances.

Chumpsbechumps

So are you saying that no manager could be doing a better job?

I think any sane fan realises how poorly run the club has been, and to some extent that's bought most managers time and some patience. I personally think anyone taking on this job under the old regime (we'll see how the new regime do) had a huge job navigating that. Ten Hag has been given too much say in transfers it turns out and he has to take some of the flak for the recruitment.

It all looked promising before the Carabao Cup final and now it looks very much like the wheels have come off.

The structure of the club isn't responsible for what Ten Hag and his team are doing on the training ground, the openness of the system he's employing week after week, the decisions he makes in game or the deluded ramblings to the press after the City game. That's all on him.

I personally didn't expect him to be challenging for the title after a season, but I expected better than what we're currently getting and some form of a system and style developing, even if it was a bit rough and ready. We don't look like a team in transition but one in regression. There's no obvious indication that whatever he's trying to do is going to work.

For what it's worth I think there's no point sacking him now before the executive structure is sorted, but I personally think it's unlikely he'll be here next year barring a major improvement in performances.
I didn’t say another manager couldn’t do better, I said it’s hard to objectively rate our managers when they are having to navigate such below par standards and the teams we are trying to match or surpass give their managers a better run at things. Spending helps when it’s spent well but we never spend well. This idea that ETH transfer Involvement is a huge problem ignores the fact we’ve has issues for a long time with our transfer policy.

I can see how poor we are playing , even today. But we are missing half our defence and don’t have a striker on the pitch. Maybe we could be doing better but at this stage I think results Trump performances until end of season. That won’t be good enough next season, particularly if ETH is retained (which looks unlikely).

Swedish_Plumber

Goes on about standards a lot for a man happy to see his players jogging about being second best to everything and allow them to do so without fear of being subbed.

GMoore23

So Ten Hag has confirmed he was told he’d have both his LBs available by the medical staff.

Now imagine you’re a manager and you get told by qualified professionals that something is going to be the case. Do you against medical advice completely ignore them and keep an extra player?
He got Shaw back and threw him right back into the thick of things without easing him in. Even played him with a knock so it's the managers own fault he's injured again.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If this is the type of football people enjoy then fair, but besides the poor results, his football are more boring than he is.

dubplate warrior

Does ETH not have a mind of his own then?

Anyone with half a brain cell could have told you that Shaw constantly has injury problems & relying on Malacia not to have anymore setbacks after two knee operations in the space of six months was a massive risk.

As usual with ETH it’s everyone else’s fault. He’s in self preservation mode and looking for excuses at every turn.
Difficult to manage big squads, also could have been FFP constraints. Its never black and white.

Shark

@NotShark
He simply has to go. Doesn't matter who we're playing, they're walking through our midfield. He's had more than enough time to figure out solutions. Liverpool are going to have a field day next week.

Suv666

Its been obvious he’s not the man for the job for a long time now. I guess we’ll persist till the end of the season but he shouldn’t be in charge next season.

dubplate warrior

I think no matter how strong our line up is the way we're set up means we'll be walked through.

I'm really disappointed because I thought we would eventually work towards being a possession based team. This is crap.

DownRiver

That Everton game is one of the worst games I have ever seen in which any team has ever won.

Habs

If this is the type of football people enjoy then fair, but besides the poor results, his football are more boring than he is.
We’ve seen this exact type of football with towards the end of LVG, Mourinho and Ole. Clearly we are rubbish, there’s no denying that but it seems to happen with every manager we hire.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We are a mid-table quality team. We should be grateful that we are 6th in the league.
Yep. It's sheer good fortune that so many results like today have fallen our way. Awful again but we'll take it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You're right. It's a great win for poundland Ole
We didn't really run under Ole when times were hard. Ole actually got thumped 4-0 vs Everton if I'm not mistaken, when he has his high as caretaker :lol:

PlayerOne

We’ve seen this exact type of football with towards the end of LVG, Mourinho and Ole. Clearly we are rubbish, there’s no denying that but it seems to happen with every manager we hire.
The most exciting thing about the match is the final whistle

Last edited:

AndySmith1990

How is this any different to Solskjaer, other than Ole was more likeable? We're moments FC, playing an even worse version of counterattacking football, minus a midfield.

How can anyone look at this football and think yeah, Ten Hag will eventually be standing in old Trafford lifting Premier league and champions league trophies? No one can be that deluded surely

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
How is this any different to Solskjaer, other than Ole was more likeable? We're moments FC, playing an even worse version of counterattacking football, minus a midfield.

How can anyone look at this football and think yeah, Ten Hag will eventually be standing in old Trafford lifting Premier league and champions league trophies? No one can be that deluded surely
Well this is Ten Hag's worst. If you want to compare to Oles worst, where we were overly tinkering with tactics, didn't have as many injuries and had players outright stop running, it should be obvious.

PlayerOne

We didn't really run under Ole when times were hard. Ole actually got thumped 4-0 vs Everton if I'm not mistaken, when he has his high as caretaker :lol:
Ole was a much bigger risk taker than ETH is. After all the money spent, we have gone back to playing a worse version of Ole ball.

And this is coming from someone that never wanted Ole here full time

The Hilton

I didn't blame ETH. I explicitly stated that the responsibles are either the Murtough, the owners, ETH or the all of them. And not the medical staff which was the point made initially.
Of course the medical staff are at least partly to blame, given that the decision was made based on their incorrect assessments of the health of Shaw and Malacia.