g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

F1 2017 Season

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Why not have a safety car leave the track before a certain point, in which a VSC runs until a cut off point, which all cars know they can take off....
Rather than all this slowing down and speeding up rubbish.

Seems like this could easily be avoided with changes
Personally think the Safety Car was called out today to spice the racing up. First time I think it was right with a recovery truck on track but debris could have been cleared up with a VSC because the track is so long.

Moiraine

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/40400301
... The stewards examined data from his car and found that he had maintained a more or less constant speed, had not lifted off the throttle or braked, and had behaved no differently at that restart at that point on the track than at the other two restarts.

1 person at fault for both events.
This

Cool, so it's definitive then. Hamilton a saint confirmed.
Looked a bit different on tv but what do I know.
And make no mistake, Vettel was an absolute tool for hitting Hamilton from the side. Should have been penalized more. First collision was absolutely Hamilton's fault, just like the Tunnel incident between Schumacher and Montoya few years back in Monaco

Fully Fledged

Lewis Hamilton, once a cock always a cock. He knew what he was doing, he broke whether Lewis fanboys (buzz word of the weekend) agree or not. Stupid from Seb to do what he did afterwards. You can't react like that and deserves his punishment.
It is obvious to anybody that has ever driven a car let alone a race car that Lewis didn't change his speed at all. This is what the experts that have seen the car data have said and what anybody with a pair of eyes should be able to see.

For some reason some people out there hate Lewis. Why I don't know but they let that bias get in the way of the facts

F-Red

Personally think the Safety Car was called out today to spice the racing up. First time I think it was right with a recovery truck on track but debris could have been cleared up with a VSC because the track is so long.
The issue with deploying VSC instead of a normal safety car was that the speed of cars potentially interacting with debris was more dangerous under VSC conditions. They only have to drive to a time, not behind a much slower car.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
The issue with deploying VSC instead of a normal safety car was that the speed of cars potentially interacting with debris was more dangerous under VSC conditions. They only have to drive to a time, not behind a much slower car.
They could have driven around the debris in such an event. The repeated SC's dropped the tyre temps and caused situations that created more debris!

Fully Fledged

They could have driven around the debris in such an event. The repeated SC's dropped the tyre temps and caused situations that created more debris!
It also backed cars into each other rather than making them keep the same gaps that they had when the incident started. On a normal track that isn't a big problem but on a tight track like that it was only asking for trouble.

pauldyson1uk

Hamilton controlled the speed, as has been proved, he kept at a constant speed. If he'd sped up, there was a strong chance of catching the safety car, so he's done next to nothing wrong. Vettel misjudged it completely and had a paddy which needed harsher punishment.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Basically Vettel has expected Hamilton to get on the accelerator as he's gone round the turn, anticipated to try and stay close and Hamilton hasn't changed pace at all.

All Seb's fault, assumption is the mother of all feck ups after all.

His subsequent action was all heat of the moment bollocks but it shouldn't be let off so lightly cause it's happened before to awful effect in other formulae/series (can't exactly remember which but I remember someone having a massive crash on the Hangar Straight at Silverstone after they went chasing after someone after an incident and crashed into them on purpose).

Seb refusing to acknowledge what he'd done in post race interviews tells you everything you need to know, he's a proper little bitch at times.

pauldyson1uk

I will post the league later , when it is updated, again there is a couple of teams with no points added for the race.
Might look to another site for next season , this season it has been a mess so far.

EDIT : The guy running it is aware and has got back to me , will post when it is sorted.

Last edited:

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Annoyed that I missed this race now after reading about it all. Sounds like an entertaining race for once.

Krits

What a crazy race.. Was flying during it.. had to watch it in parts. Finally finished it at 3:30 am IST (after a drunken night out).

Even when I was out and about I was still thinking about what will happen next (Had watched till the second safety car). Then while going from one pub to another watched a bit in the cab. RED FLAG! WOH!. Hamilton with Issues!. Closed my stream at that point.

Get home to see the rest. Most dramatic race I've seen in ages.

The whole Vettel Vs Hamilton thing. Vettel fecked up there. But I'm glad he only got a 10 sec Stop/Go. Still in a good position in the championship and increasing a lead on a circuit that was just so good for the Mercs. When Hamilton was behind Vettel I was so sure he would pass him at some point easily. But just goes to show the Ferrari is a great race car and once the Mercs don't have that Quali god mod setting they don't have that much more power.

Feel bad for stroll though, should have got second.

Untied

It is obvious to anybody that has ever driven a car let alone a race car that Lewis didn't change his speed at all. This is what the experts that have seen the car data have said and what anybody with a pair of eyes should be able to see.

For some reason some people out there hate Lewis. Why I don't know but they let that bias get in the way of the facts
But maintaining a constant speed through the exit of a corner when you would expect the car to be accelerating actually has the same effect as brake testing someone

Maybe that's a legal way of achieving the same effect, but the defense that "he kept a constant speed" rather ignores the reality that you wouldn't normally keep a constant speed when exiting a corner

RedFish

But maintaining a constant speed through the exit of a corner when you would expect the car to be accelerating actually has the same effect as brake testing someone

Maybe that's a legal way of achieving the same effect, but the defense that "he kept a constant speed" rather ignores the reality that you wouldn't normally keep a constant speed when exiting a corner
The driver in front dictates the pace behind the safety car, and as you would have seen before now, often speeds up and slows down, swerves side to side to heat up tyres etc., etc.

It's up to the driver behind to not be a bell end and drive into the car in front because he/she wasn't paying attention.

In any case, the problem is with Vettel's reaction. That's inexcusable and Hamilton's right in labelling him a disgrace.

GloryHunter07

They were driving under the safety car, drivers are braking and swerving all over the place.

If Hamilton did that during a normal race with no safety car he should've been punished.

Fully Fledged

The second tweet said that he had done the same thing on the last 2 Safety Cars. Therefore he was driving consistently.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
It was Vettels fault in the end, but I still feel coming off a corner you should at least accelerate some.
Vettel is fighting for a championship and doesn't want Hamilton to gain any advantage.

The fault with the system to be honest is how the safety car is worked.
There is clearly better ways to implement the start from a SC.

There should be a line on the track after the safety car leaves, which is the point which all drivers know they can accelerate and up to the point between the safety car leaving and that line, a VSC is deployed so all cars are at a constant speed.

Giggsy92

The restarts are fine as they are, there's no need for a rule change just because one driver can't manage them properly.