F1 2018 Season

gaucho_10

About Lewis, who will inevitably win his 5th world championship. If it wasn't for Rosberg's monumental effort that made him WC, and also arguably simultaneously retired him, this would have been Lewis' 5th title in a row. Compare the effort it's taken compared to the dominance of Vettel in that incredible RB. I think looking back Seb was quite lucky he had that car, though not devaluing his 4 in a row....
So going by your logic Vettel was lucky to be at Red Bull back then, but Hamilton wasn't lucky to be in that Mercedes for last 5 years. You think he'd be challenging for titles in some other car?

RedFish

So going by your logic Vettel was lucky to be at Red Bull back then, but Hamilton wasn't lucky to be in that Mercedes for last 5 years. You think he'd be challenging for titles in some other car?
Oh don't get me wrong, Hamilton of course is fortunate to have such a car underneath him, but it hasn't been the fastest car this season, and yet he has driven the feck out if it, when quite frankly he has no right to.

If you ask me if Vettel would have been capable of doing what Hamilton has done this season, then the answer would an emphatic no.Ask me if Lewis would have able to win the championship in this season's Ferrari, then it would have to be a resounding yes .

gaucho_10

Oh don't get me wrong, Hamilton of course is fortunate to have such a car underneath him, but it hasn't been the fastest car this season, and yet he has driven the feck out if it, when quite frankly he has no right to.

If you ask me if Vettel would have been capable of doing what Hamilton has done this season, then the answer would an emphatic no.Ask me if Lewis would have able to win the championship in this season's Ferrari, then it would have to be a resounding yes .
I think Hamilton is a better driver then Vettel, but Ferrari don't have a better car this year. Mercedes downplaying their dominance is just them doing exactly that.

There were few races when Ferrari was more dominant in engine performance (others started questioning their energy level deployment at that time as there was sudden increase in power clear in GPS data) and as soon as FIA fitted a sensor on their battery system all of their performance advantage was suddenly gone. That says it all really.

Hamilton made the right move going to Mercedes when he did, so fair play to him. That car has been so dominant from day one in the hybrid era that 16 out of 20 drivers on the grid would have won all of the last 4 championships in it. If Hamilton was driving a Ferrari or a Red Bull for last 4 years there's absolutely no chance he would have won a title.

Last edited:

TheBest

SPNTBP
I think Hamilton is a better driver then Vettel, but Ferrari don't have a better car this year. Mercedes downplaying their dominance is just them doing exactly that.

There were few races when Ferrari was more dominant in engine performance (others started questioning their energy level deployment at that time as there was sudden increase in power clear in GPS data) and as soon as FIA fitted a sensor on their battery system all of their performance advantage was suddenly gone. That says it all really.

Hamilton made the right move going to Mercedes when he did, so fair play to him. That car has been so dominant from day one in the hybrid era that 16 out of 20 drivers on the grid would have won all of the last 4 championships in it. If Hamilton was driving a Ferrari or a Red Bull for last 4 years there's absolutely no chance he would have won a title.
Imo clearly Ferrari have had the better car till singapore but the margins were very small. There have been races where merc was clearly better and the other way round as well.
I think merc being a better team plus vettel/Ferrari cocking up is how we ended up here.
It does seem like with ferrari engine advantage gone and with merc figuring out tyres, Mercedes is the faster car now. Would have been an interesting end to the season with lewis chasing after seb in a slightly faster car without those cockups.
Anyways circlejerk will keep on changing every week, latest being Ferrari was not the fastest car.
As for the bolded part, he would atleast be leading this year. Even last year he would have probably done better.

Leg-End

Looks like Mercedes have moved up the road 3-4 tenths. Let’s not re-write history though, Ferrari had the car to beat for a massive chunk of the season, PU tricks or not.

RedFish

Vettel would still be in the lead in the championship if he weren't racing Lewis. With Hamilton there has been no margin for error and Seb couldn't handle the pressure.

pauldyson1uk

FFS still going on about team order from the last race ! , its a team sport at the end of the day, dont see the problem.
Batterygate ! Maybe there is a spy in the ferrari camp or maybe other teams have developed batteries along the same line ! until their is 100% proof nobodies knows, has for the sensor causing the problems , that is bollocks !

Hephaestus

Would probably have been better for Mclaren if they hadn't forgotten to submit their tyre allocation.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Bad call from Ferrari but Vettel still had a chance in the dry and screwed it up. Poor all round. Doubt they had the car to compete anyway.

Giggsy92

Silly strategy from Ferrari but Vettel should still have put it on the second row. Didn't look like they had the performance to challenge Mercedes anyway, I really hope we get the full story of what's been going on with that engine some day.