F1 2020 Season

stu_1992

Crazy finish indeed. Was needed after a less than exciting race. Hamilton was incredibly lucky to be able to drag that car over the line in one piece. Was a weird decision to not pit him but I guess crazy things were happening so far. Red Bull must be kicking themselves now. I guess they didn't know Lewis was having tyre issues as well, but it could have been a win for Max certainly.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Crazy finish indeed. Was needed after a less than exciting race. Hamilton was incredibly lucky to be able to drag that car over the line in one piece. Was a weird decision to not pit him but I guess crazy things were happening so far. Red Bull must be kicking themselves now. I guess they didn't know Lewis was having tyre issues as well, but it could have been a win for Max certainly.
From what I can make out on my stream Horner is suggesting Verstappen was also reporting vibrations and his tyres that came off had a deep groove and lacerations in them.

pauldyson1uk

From what I can make out on my stream Horner is suggesting Verstappen was also reporting vibrations and his tyres that came off had a deep groove and lacerations in them.
He said that in his after race interview, from what I have read, all the teams were pushing it.
Lewis was fortunate, good luck, good driving take your pick, to finish in the lead.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Wolff and Horner have both explicitly mentioned debris on track in their post-race interviews.

British GP Race 4 Result

pauldyson1uk

1Lewis HamiltonMercedes1:29.2381:28:01.283
2Max VerstappenRed Bull
fastest overall lap 1:27.0971:27.097
5.856 behind
3Charles LeclercFerrari1:29.81318.474 behind
4Daniel RicciardoRenault1:29.48219.650 behind
5Lando NorrisMcLaren1:30.05822.277 behind
6Esteban OconRenault1:29.49126.937 behind
7Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri1:29.60331.188 behind
8Alexander AlbonRed Bull1:28.68932.670 behind
9Lance StrollRacing Point1:30.47537.311 behind
10Sebastian VettelFerrari1:30.53741.857 behind
11Valtteri BottasMercedes1:29.26542.167 behind
12George RussellWilliams1:30.86252.004 behind
13Carlos Sainz JnrMcLaren1:29.94853.370 behind
14Antonio GiovinazziAlfa Romeo1:30.97754.205 behind
15Nicholas LatifiWilliams1:30.50154.549 behind
16Romain GrosjeanHaas1:29.78255.050 behind
1717Kimi RaikkonenAlfa Romeo1:29.9731 lap behind
not classifiedDaniil KvyatAlphaTauri1:32.443did not finish completed 11 laps
not classifiedKevin MagnussenHaasnot available-did not finish completed 1 laps
not classifiedNico HulkenbergRacing Pointnot available-did not finish completed 0 lap
Last updated 2nd August 2020 at 16:32

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Dunno. Thought the Grosjean train was interesting enough. Was a decent race until then. I was enjoying it.

Tyrion

He said that in his after race interview, from what I have read, all the teams were pushing it.
Lewis was fortunate, good luck, good driving take your pick, to finish in the lead.
Actually, I thought people said they were all managing their tyres quite early on. That was the discussion on sky afterwards at least.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
That's how shite F1 is tbh, winning on 3 wheels is a joke.
Why is it a joke.
The winner is the first car across the line. Doesn't matter what condition the car.
He had built up enough of a lead and got the car home.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
They are using softer tyres. Just means that they will definitely have to do 2 stops.
So my wife and I just started watching F1 this weekend after binging the Netflix series. One thing confusing us that we heard in the commentary on multiple occasions "XXX next week on the softer tyres..."

Are they mandated to use a certain type of tyre each race or what? Why are they *definitely* using softer tyres next week?

stu_1992

So my wife and I just started watching F1 this weekend after binging the Netflix series. One thing confusing us that we heard in the commentary on multiple occasions "XXX next week on the softer tyres..."

Are they mandated to use a certain type of tyre each race or what? Why are they *definitely* using softer tyres next week?
Not sure on the ins and outs exactly, but the tyre Manufacturer Pirelli decides on what compounds of tyre can be used at each race weekend. I think the type of track in terms of layout and condition of the track play a factor in this, as well as temperature. Weather generally plays a role too when you factor in wet or intermediate tyres. However this is a strange season where we are getting races back to back at the same track, something that never happens under a regular circumstance so not too sure why the compounds are going to be different next week. My guess is that either the weather will likely be different or perhaps they are just pushing to softer tyres in order to enforce a 2 stop race to change things up from this weekend.

Edit: But yes Pirelli decide what compounds are available each weekend, and teh teams have to use what's available to them. So if Pirelli don't make the hard tyres available this weekend, then they will have to use softer tyres next week.

SambaBoy

Like many I've decided to start watching F1 after the netflix series. It's quite boring watching the full race isn't it? Hamilton just goes off into the lead, a few overtakes in the middle, some of the back crash out and that's it from what I've seen so far. The opening race was good, but rare apparently in terms of what happened. The last lap was good yesterday, but without that, it would have been a bore fest. Minus the last lap, is that generally what the races are like to watch? Does it get more exciting on different tracks, I suppose Monaco would be exciting considering what the track is like?

stu_1992

Like many I've decided to start watching F1 after the netflix series. It's quite boring watching the full race isn't it? Hamilton just goes off into the lead, a few overtakes in the middle, some of the back crash out and that's it from what I've seen so far. The opening race was good, but rare apparently in terms of what happened. The last lap was good yesterday, but without that, it would have been a bore fest. Minus the last lap, is that generally what the races are like to watch? Does it get more exciting on different tracks, I suppose Monaco would be exciting considering what the track is like?
Honestly Monaco, beyond the prestige of it, is probably the most boring race on the calendar. Its almost impossible for overtakes to happen as its too narrow for the cars of today. So sometimes the real race is on the Saturday qualifying. Unless someone puts it into the wall or has some other issue, it's hard to pass anyone. So I don't think that would be a good example.

Right now we're just in the unfortunate position of having a massively dominant team at the front. It's been the case for a few years now, but even worse this season seemingly. I agree yesterday's race wasn't all that until the end, but usually the most fun is to be had in the battles for the positions behind the Mercedes cars or further down in the midfield. Hopefully new regulations will bring the entire field closer together. But right now I'm watching for the drama that happens further down the grid.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Because we are having 2 races at the same track back to back, they're just doing something to spice it up a little, that's all.

If they all had the same setups and same tyres it would be a bit too easy.

Mercedes are the class of the field this year unfortunately, last year Ferrari kept them honest and won a few races themselves, it was much more competitive.

Certain tracks are better for "all action" races. Unfortunately some tracks are designed with older cars still in mind, and the modern day f1 cars are just too fast and can't get close enough around corners to overtake properly. They hope that with the rule changes due in 2022 overtaking will be easier.

Monaco is literally the most boring track for "action" as there is zero room to overtake anywhere. The excitement comes more from the cars being centimetres away from the barriers and at risk of crashing almost every corner. But for the average viewer Monaco is really boring tbh.

BTW, for people wondering why they had tyre issues this weekend - it was purely down to the safey car coming out twice.

The 12 or so laps spent behind the safety car effectively removed the need for an exta pitstop. Usually Silverstone would always have 2 stops, but the teams thought they could stretch it out by driving sensibly. Obviously that was a bit closer than they expected.

Next race could end up having 2 or 3 stops which would make things livelier.

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Mercedes are the class of the field this year unfortunately, last year Ferrari kept them honest
By allegedly being dishonest with their fuel flow

Merc really have been a class apart for a while

6 back to back constructor and driver titles.... looks like being 7 this year

Ferrari managed 6 constructors with 5 driver titles in the Schumacher era

Ford managed to have 7 winning engines over multiple constructors consecutively 1968 to 1974

But nobody can match what merc have done and given how they have continued to churn out great cars year after year I wouldnt rule it out that when the rule changes come in that they are not still top of the pile

Lewis is a great driver and being partnered with such a great team its hard to see them not both winning it again this year

Adam-Utd

By allegedly being dishonest with their fuel flow

Merc really have been a class apart for a while

6 back to back constructor and driver titles.... looks like being 7 this year

Ferrari managed 6 constructors with 5 driver titles in the Schumacher era

Ford managed to have 7 winning engines over multiple constructors consecutively 1968 to 1974

But nobody can match what merc have done and given how they have continued to churn out great cars year after year I wouldnt rule it out that when the rule changes come in that they are not still top of the pile

Lewis is a great driver and being partnered with such a great team its hard to see them not both winning it again this year
Indeed, but that's what f1 is all about really, finding loopholes in the rules and flexing them to your advantage. Similar to the DAS system Merc have this year.

Mercedes have been ruthless and they deserve every title they've earnt, it could have been easy for them to become complacent.

I'm personally really enjoying the midfield fight this year though. Between Racing point, Mclaren and Renault and Ferrari it's going to be an interesting battle to see who's the 3rd best team this year.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Not sure on the ins and outs exactly, but the tyre Manufacturer Pirelli decides on what compounds of tyre can be used at each race weekend. I think the type of track in terms of layout and condition of the track play a factor in this, as well as temperature. Weather generally plays a role too when you factor in wet or intermediate tyres. However this is a strange season where we are getting races back to back at the same track, something that never happens under a regular circumstance so not too sure why the compounds are going to be different next week. My guess is that either the weather will likely be different or perhaps they are just pushing to softer tyres in order to enforce a 2 stop race to change things up from this weekend.

Edit: But yes Pirelli decide what compounds are available each weekend, and teh teams have to use what's available to them. So if Pirelli don't make the hard tyres available this weekend, then they will have to use softer tyres next week.
Which is fecking stupid.

Just give all the teams a fixed amount of different tyres and let them play around with how they're going to use it over the season.

Now we're stuck with this rubbish where even tyres selection is basically the same for every team's pit strategy.

Adam-Utd

Which is fecking stupid.

Just give all the teams a fixed amount of different tyres and let them play around with how they're going to use it over the season.

Now we're stuck with this rubbish where even tyres selection is basically the same for every team's pit strategy.
They'd all end up choosing the same tyres anyway :lol:

They force them to use a softer compound so that pit stops become more regular, otherwise they'd all just use the hardest compound and go slow looking after the tyres until the end of the race. This is what happened in the late 2000's basically when tyre compounds were always very durable.

Adam-Utd

It'll be interesting to see who thinks Albon deserved a penalty for his clash with Magnussen?

BIGbadBOO4

It'll be interesting to see who thinks Albon deserved a penalty for his clash with Magnussen?
I think that the driver penalty depends on the effect on another driver. It ended Magnussens race so he got a 5 sec pen. If the incident does not affect the other driver then nothing seems to be done.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Why is it a joke.
The winner is the first car across the line. Doesn't matter what condition the car.
He had built up enough of a lead and got the car home.
Nobody's saying Hamilton's win is not deserved; but it's a sign of how boring F1 has become (that's what 'a joke' refers to) that he can drive half a lap on three tires and still win 6 seconds ahead of Max.

F-Red

Nobody's saying Hamilton's win is not deserved; but it's a sign of how boring F1 has become (that's what 'a joke' refers to) that he can drive half a lap on three tires and still win 6 seconds ahead of Max.
It's more telling about Red Bull than F1. Red Bull were too cautious.

Zlaatan

Parody Account

Pirelli developed five different compounds of dry tyres (C1-C5 with the C1 being the hardest and C5 the softest) for the season and then for each race they select three of them for the teams to choose from, with every driver being forced to use at least two different compounds during the race. The selected compounds are labeled hard (white lettering), medium (yellow) and soft (red) to make things a bit easier.

This past weekend the C1, C2 and C3 compounds were selected and because of how the race unfolded in the beginning with the two safety cars almost all drivers ended up pitting very early and using the hard tyre (C1) for the rest of the race. The reason the commentators said the drivers will be using softer tires next weekend is because the C1 won't be available since Pirelli have chosed to use the C2, C3 and C4 compounds instead to try to shake things up.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur

Because we are having 2 races at the same track back to back, they're just doing something to spice it up a little, that's all.

If they all had the same setups and same tyres it would be a bit too easy.

Mercedes are the class of the field this year unfortunately, last year Ferrari kept them honest and won a few races themselves, it was much more competitive.

Certain tracks are better for "all action" races. Unfortunately some tracks are designed with older cars still in mind, and the modern day f1 cars are just too fast and can't get close enough around corners to overtake properly. They hope that with the rule changes due in 2022 overtaking will be easier.

Monaco is literally the most boring track for "action" as there is zero room to overtake anywhere. The excitement comes more from the cars being centimetres away from the barriers and at risk of crashing almost every corner. But for the average viewer Monaco is really boring tbh.

BTW, for people wondering why they had tyre issues this weekend - it was purely down to the safey car coming out twice.

The 12 or so laps spent behind the safety car effectively removed the need for an exta pitstop. Usually Silverstone would always have 2 stops, but the teams thought they could stretch it out by driving sensibly. Obviously that was a bit closer than they expected.

Next race could end up having 2 or 3 stops which would make things livelier.
Pirelli developed five different compounds of dry tyres (C1-C5 with the C1 being the hardest and C5 the softest) for the season and then for each race they select three of them for the teams to choose from, with every driver being forced to use at least two different compounds during the race. The selected compounds are labeled hard (white lettering), medium (yellow) and soft (red) to make things a bit easier.

This past weekend the C1, C2 and C3 compounds were selected and because of how the race unfolded in the beginning with the two safety cars almost all drivers ended up pitting very early and using the hard tyre (C1) for the rest of the race. The reason the commentators said the drivers will be using softer tires next weekend is because the C1 won't be available since Pirelli have chosed to use the C2, C3 and C4 compounds instead to try to shake things up.
Thanks all, extremely useful information as I indulge in another sport!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It's more telling about Red Bull than F1. Red Bull were too cautious.
Well, certainly Mercedes's dominance in general is on all equally rich teams that are so far behind. But in this specific case, if Red Bull don't pit Verstappen and Hamilton doesn't get the flat, we could blame Red Bull for not attempting to get fastest lap. It's a tough call, given that Bottas did get the flat just before. Or is that not what you meant?

F-Red

Well, certainly Mercedes's dominance in general is on all equally rich teams that are so far behind. But in this specific case, if Red Bull don't pit Verstappen and Hamilton doesn't get the flat, we could blame Red Bull for not attempting to get fastest lap. It's a tough call, given that Bottas did get the flat just before. Or is that not what you meant?
I felt Red Bull could have rolled the dice a bit more, easier in hindsight, but the data was there with Bottas in terms of being pitted and Hamilton having very similar life left in the tyres that the same issue would happen to him. Max was cruising most of the race, and probably had much more life left in his tyres. Even nursing them home without pitting on the final lap would have given him a chance for the race win.

Second safety car played havoc with the strategies with most, combined with 2019 Pirelli tyres that the majority of teams nominated for the 2020 season.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I felt Red Bull could have rolled the dice a bit more, easier in hindsight, but the data was there with Bottas in terms of being pitted and Hamilton having very similar life left in the tyres that the same issue would happen to him. Max was cruising most of the race, and probably had much more life left in his tyres. Even nursing them home without pitting on the final lap would have given him a chance for the race win.

Second safety car played havoc with the strategies with most, combined with 2019 Pirelli tyres that the majority of teams nominated for the 2020 season.
Yeah, I guess. It's a trade-off between a good chance to get one extra point because of the fastest lap, or a small change to get seven extra points because of a flat for Hamilton.

F-Red

Some questions being vocalized now about Leclerc's ability to perform so close to RB while Vettel was far behind:

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/6459...ormance-mystery-how-leclerc-was-so-fast-.html

Did seem a bit suspect but even if Ferrari is pulling more shady stuff..would FIA even care?
They ran a very low down force package for this weekend hence the improvement in speed, Leclerc was able to get more from it & his qualification position helped him more in the race. Seb had very little running time until FP3 and couldn't dial the car in, combined with poor qualification and he was constantly fighting all race. It was all down to setup.

There's nothing shady at Ferrari this year sadly, if there was then I'd be surprised as to why they're falling back in terms of performance. You would notice that Haas and Alfa Romeo would be performing better if Ferrari had anything shady still going on.

pauldyson1uk

Renault have won their protest over Racing Point's 2020 car, with the latter fined €400,000 and deducted 15 points.

Racing Point have had 15 points taken away from their total in the Constructors' Championship and fined a total of €400,000 for using their car at last month's Styrian GP - the race where Renault first lodged its protest against the brake ducts on their rivals' car.

Renault also protested their rivals after the last two events in Hungary and Britain. Racing Point have been reprimanded for using their car in those events.
Facebook is going mental, saying Mercedes should get punishment also.

F-Red

OK, my take upon reading the FIA document.

It appears the issue is with the rear brake ducts, they used the same front brake ducts in last years car which isn't an issue as they were available to use as a customer part last year. The rear brake ducts were only put on this years car, based on CAD drawings which they obtained as customer part from Mercedes in 2019 (technically fine in the rules), but using them on this years car is the issue.

No requirement for Racing Point to change the parts or design, on the basis they can't delete a design philosophy in an engineers head and the car is legal from the technical point of view. The sporting regulations of using parts on a 2020 car which is the penalty (fine and points per car). I expect them to appeal.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
"We got it from photos!" If that's the entire punishment it's a bit of a joke.