F1 2020 Season

redshaw

Looking like Ferrari maybe seeing Sainz as a good backup driver to Leclerc

Jack-C20

Speaking to someone today that fancies Vettel to go to McLaren. Apparently Vettel worked with Andreas Seidl at Sauber. Could be nothing but I wouldn’t mind it. Would give McLaren a good reason to push on further. In fairness Ricciardo would give the same boost. I suppose it all comes down to money.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Looking like Ricciardo to McLaren is pretty much done as well. Pretty happy with that, although Sainz was very good last year.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Looking like Ricciardo to McLaren is pretty much done as well. Pretty happy with that, although Sainz was very good last year.
Official now.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sad to see Sainz leave as he was fantastic in his debut season, but you can't turn down Ferrari.

Ricciardo is as good as a replacement as you can ask for. Prefer him to Vettel.

Adam-Utd

Ricciardo is better than Sainz, McLaren have upgraded.
I see people keep saying this but i'm not so sure. I think last season Sainz was massively impressive.

Getting 5th in the championship in a slightly above average Mclaren, some amazing races from the back of the pack and managing to get Mclaren's first WDC point for ages.

Yes Ricciardo has the wins from RB but he at Renault didn't look anything more special IMO. I think Sainz will have a great career at Ferrari.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It makes sense for everyone. Ferrari get a driver that is good but isn’t as good as Leclerc so they can keep him as undisputed no.1. Sainz upgrades his car and has better room to get more podiums.

McLaren get one of the best drivers on the grid and a proven race winner. Ricciardo gets an upgrade and although McLaren say they like to be fair between drivers he would clearly be no.1 there. Helpful for Norris to have someone of his standard alongside him too.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
It makes sense for everyone. Ferrari get a driver that is good but isn’t as good as Leclerc so they can keep him as undisputed no.1. Sainz upgrades his car and has better room to get more podiums.

McLaren get one of the best drivers on the grid and a proven race winner. Ricciardo gets an upgrade and although McLaren say they like to be fair between drivers he would clearly be no.1 there. Helpful for Norris to have someone of his standard alongside him too.
Yup it's one of those moves where everyone seems to get what they want (except Vettel). Surely means it's destined for failure for all parties.

Leg-End

I see people keep saying this but i'm not so sure. I think last season Sainz was massively impressive.

Getting 5th in the championship in a slightly above average Mclaren, some amazing races from the back of the pack and managing to get Mclaren's first WDC point for ages.

Yes Ricciardo has the wins from RB but he at Renault didn't look anything more special IMO. I think Sainz will have a great career at Ferrari.
I'm not saying Sainz isn't great, he has a Ferrari drive at the end of the day! He was impressive last year, particularly on race pace and I think as it stands now hes a great Number 2 at a top team.

Danny is just a bit more proven, race winner, kept Max fairly honest (Max is a generational talent in my opinion), I think his personality fits better at McLaren than Renault. He didn't pull up many trees last year no but he also had a few untimely car issues and still took care of the Hulk with relative ease.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

The true test is how did Ricardo compete against his team mate... flogged the shit out of him...

Member 90887

I struggle to see where Seb can go now. Especially if Renault end up with Alonse like the rumours seem to suggest.

Can only see a return to RB but Marko already said that they can't afford Seb, i think it's more like they want a Number one/Number two structure, if anyone can afford him, it's RB.

Can Mercedes be a potential option ? Bottas has a one year contract + there's the german connection. I'm not sure how it would go down with Lewis though.

Adam-Utd

I'm not saying Sainz isn't great, he has a Ferrari drive at the end of the day! He was impressive last year, particularly on race pace and I think as it stands now hes a great Number 2 at a top team.

Danny is just a bit more proven, race winner, kept Max fairly honest (Max is a generational talent in my opinion), I think his personality fits better at McLaren than Renault. He didn't pull up many trees last year no but he also had a few untimely car issues and still took care of the Hulk with relative ease.
The true test is how did Ricardo compete against his team mate... flogged the shit out of him...
I do rate Ricciardo, I just find many underrate Sainz for some reason. Maybe because he had 2 steady years at TR/Renault but he really grew last year.

Surprising that they've announced this so early though, there's still 1/2 a season of racing to get through (if it happens)

F-Red

So has Maldonado.
Just the one in a very rare day when the Williams looked world beating, but a pointless comparison.

To suggest Ricciardo is a downgrade or equal to Sainz is odd, Sainz hasn't actually achieved anything in the sport yet. Capable driver, but has the potential to be another Perez.

Adam-Utd

Just the one in a very rare day when the Williams looked world beating, but a pointless comparison.

To suggest Ricciardo is a downgrade or equal to Sainz is odd, Sainz hasn't actually achieved anything in the sport yet. Capable driver, but has the potential to be another Perez.
Yet again read my post, I never said I don't rate Ricciardo but he'd have to have a VERY special season to beat what Sainz managed last year. He drove to absolute perfection in some races, (Austria,Brazil) to be precise.

My main point was winning a race isn't the tell tale of a good driver, consistency and good race craft is more important, which Sainz showed in abundance.

What i'm saying is Sainz is going to be very, very good at Ferrari where as Ricciardo will probably only reach a par level, you reach a stage where you're car limited specially in the modern setting.

ChaddyP

I think ferrari going with Sainz over Ricciardo has more to do with getting a partner for Le Clerc than getting the best driver available. I personally think Ricciardo would and should be a number 1 for a top team where as Sainz would be a better number 2 at a top team. With Sainz i think its more obvious that Le Clerc will be number 1 where as with Daniel it wouldnt be so clear and You may end up with what happened with him and Verstappen. Thats my theory anyway.

F-Red

Yet again read my post, I never said I don't rate Ricciardo but he'd have to have a VERY special season to beat what Sainz managed last year. He drove to absolute perfection in some races, (Austria,Brazil) to be precise.
Sainz didn't really do anything special last year, he was just consistently finishing in 7th and 8th and two good drives where the latter was in the most bizarre of circumstances - he still finished behind a Torro Ross remember. Ricciardo has moved to get out of the Renault seat as i think he can see them exiting the series in the next year. McLaren with a Mercedes engine in 2021 will certainly push them further up the grid. McLaren have improved their driver line up no doubt.

My main point was winning a race isn't the tell tale of a good driver, consistency and good race craft is more important, which Sainz showed in abundance.
I got your point, Maldonado's race win was littered with luck and some strong team calls over that weekend which put the Williams on rails. Winning multiple races is a sign of a good driver, Ricciardo has won multiple races in the same season, some even back to back races. Which makes him a significant step up from Sainz who is still a midfield driver.

What i'm saying is Sainz is going to be very, very good at Ferrari where as Ricciardo will probably only reach a par level, you reach a stage where you're car limited specially in the modern setting.
Make no mistake, Ferrari have a number one driver. Sainz is going to be a clear number two, but a number two that has a better chance of winning races. For Ferrari signing Sainz over Ricciardo means it'll be a less stressful environment as Ricciardo would have put Le Clerc under pressure. However they've gone for stability rather than a race winning pairing, and certainly the cheaper option.

F-Red

I think ferrari going with Sainz over Ricciardo has more to do with getting a partner for Le Clerc than getting the best driver available. I personally think Ricciardo would and should be a number 1 for a top team where as Sainz would be a better number 2 at a top team. With Sainz i think its more obvious that Le Clerc will be number 1 where as with Daniel it wouldnt be so clear and You may end up with what happened with him and Verstappen. Thats my theory anyway.
I think that logic is what Ferrari were looking at as well. They didn't want a pairing that would be the same as what they've had for the 2019 season.

Adam-Utd

Sainz didn't really do anything special last year, he was just consistently finishing in 7th and 8th and two good drives where the latter was in the most bizarre of circumstances - he still finished behind a Torro Ross remember. Ricciardo has moved to get out of the Renault seat as i think he can see them exiting the series in the next year. McLaren with a Mercedes engine in 2021 will certainly push them further up the grid. McLaren have improved their driver line up no doubt.
Exactly the point. In a very tight midpack with Renault, Racing Point and Alfa he won it head and shoulders clear.

Being a Mclaren fan I obviously paid more attention to his drives, but saying he didn't do anything special is very unfair. He had a string of 5th placed finishes in a row and practically relegated Pierre Gasly back to Torro Rosso.

Anyway yes it's fair to say he will be the "number 2" behind Leclerc, but I suspect he will give him a much harder fight than Vettel managed.

F-Red

Exactly the point. In a very tight midpack with Renault, Racing Point and Alfa he won it head and shoulders clear.
Just to be clear, he didn't win anything last year. He finished 6th in the championship, which is the 5th loser. Finishing 7th & 8th isn't anything to shout home about, and certainly if you talk to any racer or anyone in F1 they won't be hailing that as 'special'.

Being a Mclaren fan I obviously paid more attention to his drives, but saying he didn't do anything special is very unfair. He had a string of 5th placed finishes in a row and practically relegated Pierre Gasly back to Torro Rosso.
He did nothing to relegate Gasly. A combination of himself, and Verstappen sorted that one out.

Anyway yes it's fair to say he will be the "number 2" behind Leclerc, but I suspect he will give him a much harder fight than Vettel managed.
I admire the optimism, but he won't be challenging anywhere near as hard as Vettel was.

Adam-Utd

Just to be clear, he didn't win anything last year. He finished 6th in the championship, which is the 5th loser. Finishing 7th & 8th isn't anything to shout home about, and certainly if you talk to any racer or anyone in F1 they won't be hailing that as 'special'.

He did nothing to relegate Gasly. A combination of himself, and Verstappen sorted that one out.

I admire the optimism, but he won't be challenging anywhere near as hard as Vettel was.
He finished 5th :lol:

We shall revisit this next year ;)

pauldyson1uk

Ricciardo is better than Sainz, McLaren have upgraded.
I would say the same , I like Ricciardo , watched him in the Netflix program, did not find him smug, but can see why some did.
I think he would have been better at Ferrari , him and LeClerc would have made a good team.
Sainz is a decent driver, defiantly Number 2 at Ferrari, I will put money on Ricciardo getting more points then him next season.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I think Sainz will surprise a lot of folk. He wasn't that far off Verstappen a few years back.

F-Red

So is Ocon number one at Renault?
For this year (if they do any running) definitely, for next year it depends on who they bring in alongside him next year. I'd be surprised if Renault make it to the new regulations if im honest.

F-Red

I wonder if they regret letting Hulk go.
Doubt it, although there is a slim chance they may have a talk with him. I think they'll try to get some cash in via a pay driver in their ranks. The Alonso rumours i think are just that, he'll command money & emotional energy that i don't think Renault have.

F-Red

Two races behind closed doors for Silverstone this year. Surprised they got to that decision.

Could be a bit of a clusterf*ck of a season in terms of consistency.

pauldyson1uk

Silverstone has agreed terms with Formula 1 to hold two races on consecutive weekends in July and August.

The grands prix will be held on July 26 and August 2. A contract is not yet signed but expected soon, Sky Sports F1 understands.

Silverstone had already confirmed it will run any race behind closed doors to fans and that the events would be subject to government approval and all required safety conditions.

F1 is also within close discussion with the UK government about its logistical and safety plans.

The sport plans to start the season with a similar double header at the Red Bull Ring in Austria on July 5 and July 12.

It will be the first time in history that venues have staged two grands prix in the same season.

The sport is putting in place extensive and rigorous measures to allow the behind-closed doors events and racing to be resumed safely, with F1's motorsports chief Ross Brawn recently telling Sky F1 that it would in effect create a "bubble of isolation" around the sport and travelling personnel.

The season would then break for a week before heading to Silverstone for the first of two events.

Ambitious plan , hope they pull it off.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
My only concern is that Mercedes usually dominate at Silverstone winning all but one since 2013 and last year wasn't even a race.

macheda14

My only concern is that Mercedes usually dominate at Silverstone winning all but one since 2013 and last year wasn't even a race.
The one thing with that is if they dominate the first race, what do they do for the second race? Same again won’t cut it because it gives other teams the opportunity to completely change strategy. But then why would you not stick to the same strategy if you win the first race. I think it will make for really interesting viewing.

Hephaestus

The double race at Austria will likely make up for that, Mercedes won it 4 years in a row but Red Bull and Ferrari were quicker the last two years and 2017 was extremely close as well.

F-Red

The one thing with that is if they dominate the first race, what do they do for the second race? Same again won’t cut it because it gives other teams the opportunity to completely change strategy. But then why would you not stick to the same strategy if you win the first race. I think it will make for really interesting viewing.
A week between races is a long time in F1.