F1 2020 Season

pauldyson1uk

Surely it wasn't Gerhard Berger he said. I grew up as a little Ferrari fan in the 90s so I'll always have a soft spot for Berger and Alesi, but thinking he was better than Senna?
He must have said Prost.

Edit: Having had a rewatch, their tribute still stands up 10 years later. And it was Gilles Villeneuve
what a clown of course it was Gilles , sorry my mistake,

hp88

Have a look on his channel, upload a few classics over the past week.

I was a bit too young to fully appreciate Senna's talent but watching documentaries, youtube clips etc and listening to the vast number of F1 drivers who hold him as the best ever makes it very difficult to argue otherwise. Schumacher is my F1 hero if you will but you'll never hear me say that he was better than Senna.
Schumacher was my F1 hero too but Senna had something else about him. An unexplainable aura.

I was at Donington in 1993 and will forever be glad i saw that.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I was a bit too young to fully appreciate Senna's talent but watching documentaries, youtube clips etc and listening to the vast number of F1 drivers who hold him as the best ever makes it very difficult to argue otherwise. Schumacher is my F1 hero if you will but you'll never hear me say that he was better than Senna.
My position has always been that Senna was the fastest driver in F1. The fact that he use to regularly beat Prost in qualy by over a second was evidence enough. However, he always struggled to maintain that pace through races and more than a few times came unstuck due to lapses in concentration. Monaco 88 is one such event.

Schumacher on the other hand was the complete package. Could setup cars, drive around issues, qualify and his in race management, especially on used tyres' is the best there's ever been.

People regularly forget that Michael on used tyres before pitstops or on cold tyres after pitstops, use to destroy his competitors. Much like Senna's ability to extract 100% from a car, the ability to generate a laptime on worn rubber or cold tyres where there is a lack of grip is extraordinary.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
My position has always been that Senna was the fastest driver in F1. The fact that he use to regularly beat Prost in qualy by over a second was evidence enough. However, he always struggled to maintain that pace through races and more than a few times came unstuck due to lapses in concentration. Monaco 88 is one such event.

Schumacher on the other hand was the complete package. Could setup cars, drive around issues, qualify and his in race management, especially on used tyres' is the best there's ever been.

People regularly forget that Michael on used tyres before pitstops or on cold tyres after pitstops, use to destroy his competitors. Much like Senna's ability to extract 100% from a car, the ability to generate a laptime on worn rubber or cold tyres where there is a lack of grip is extraordinary.
Prost never bothered with pole times when it came to Senna.

He used to let Ayrton obsess over going faster on Friday/Saturday one lap masterpieces and work on his race setup then strategise what he'd do as the fuel wore off and the tyres got old during the race.

Has taken a review of a bunch of old races to make me appreciate the genius of Prost to be honest and I think he's vastly underrated. His and Senna's drastically different approaches on and off the track made it the biggest and best rivalry of all time IMO.

There's no doubt that Ayrton had that 'thing' inside of him that took him to another level mentality wise. The fact that other drivers had to decide whether they wanted to crash because Ayrton wasn't going to move made sure he beat practically everyone before the race started.

1994 was the first season I started watching as a 4 year old and I burst into tears watching Imola unfold without really knowing why. Something about Murray Walker's tone during the broadcast made me realise what had happened and I felt it massively. Will never forget that being so young.

Watching Senna tributes, the documentary and old races plus reading a lot about him made me realise what Senna was like. The TG tribute is a great bit of film:

I grew up as a Damon fan hating Schumi but then grew to appreciate just how mega he was. 1998 when he needed to do about 25 quali laps in a row to make the strategy work was astonishing. He had a machine like ability to just hang a car on its limit lap after lap.

I remember Berger and Alesi complaining that Schumi's Benetton was undrivable when they tested it come the end of 1995 wheras Schumi could live with a car being completely loose. It's why his teammates never got near him, even before team orders were introduced.

Last edited:

Jack-C20

Anyone watch the virtual race? Was a bit messy and disorganised but a pretty good laugh. Wish a few more drivers got involved though.

pauldyson1uk

The Azerbaijan GP has become the eighth Formula 1 race to be called off due to the coronavirus crisis.

The Baku round was scheduled to take place on June 7 but has now been postponed indefinitely.

Time to call the season I think, next race us Canada, no way that's happening.
Best thing is to call the season start next year with the same card.

Leg-End

It just depends on how long they have to wait for the all clear, if it's 6 months from now then sure the season will probably be cancelled but for now postponing races is the right move and just see what happens, the same for any sport.

If we end up with a 10 race season with quickfire back to back weekends is anyone going to say no? I know I wouldn't.

hobbers

Lando had over 100k on his twitch channel last night watching that race, albeit he disconnected and the AI ended up driving half the race for him before he'd reconnected

Shamelessly asking for prime subs as well :lol:

pauldyson1uk

It just depends on how long they have to wait for the all clear, if it's 6 months from now then sure the season will probably be cancelled but for now postponing races is the right move and just see what happens, the same for any sport.

If we end up with a 10 race season with quickfire back to back weekends is anyone going to say no? I know I wouldn't.
No your right I would take it, 10 Race mini season would be exciting stuff.

klayton88

If anybody is looking for some F1 to watch there are tonnes of full races on YouTube. Just search F1 full race. I'm currently watching this:

pauldyson1uk

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52189430

This is brilliant from Mercedes and I'm sure the other teams will be doing their bit too.
The new 'continuous positive airway pressure' device was reverse-engineered from a previous model in less than 100 hours and received regulatory approval last week.

The revised design consumes 70% less oxygen than the earlier model.
The Mercedes effort is part of a wider scheme undertaken by all seven UK-based F1 teams, featuring three different work streams, aimed at boosting the supply of critical-care equipment in hospitals across the country.
Mercedes said that 40 machines that would normally produce F1 pistons and turbochargers were now being used for production of the CPAP devices, and the entire Brixworth facility had been repurposed to meet this demand.

Well Done all the teams involved.

hp88

Not sure how some of the cash strapped teams are going to survive this, drivers have taken pay cuts to ease the situation but I am guessing some of the factory staff may start getting laid off or put on furlough for a couple of months.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Anyone been watching the virtual races? the game is a complete mess, most of the drivers hate it. No idea why they don't go for a proper sim racing game. Lando can't even get in the lobby half the time.

pauldyson1uk

Ferrari boss Mattia Binotto has said F1's most famous team will be "flexible" so that the sport can fit in as many events as possible in 2020 - even if that includes double-race weekends.

Although the season has been ravaged by the coronavirus crisis and will not be starting until the end of June - at the earliest - after the Canadian GP's postponement, F1 still hope to reschedule the delayed races and debate has therefore stirred about how the usual Grand Prix structure could be changed to deal with a more intense calendar.
Shortened weekends and those with races on both the Saturday and Sunday have both been mooted as options, with F1, the FIA and the 10 teams in regular discussions about when, and how, the season could be restarted.

Double race weekends would be epic, but would take some organisation

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Ferrari boss Mattia Binotto has said F1's most famous team will be "flexible" so that the sport can fit in as many events as possible in 2020 - even if that includes double-race weekends.

Although the season has been ravaged by the coronavirus crisis and will not be starting until the end of June - at the earliest - after the Canadian GP's postponement, F1 still hope to reschedule the delayed races and debate has therefore stirred about how the usual Grand Prix structure could be changed to deal with a more intense calendar.
Shortened weekends and those with races on both the Saturday and Sunday have both been mooted as options, with F1, the FIA and the 10 teams in regular discussions about when, and how, the season could be restarted.

Double race weekends would be epic, but would take some organisation
Would be cool. Could they not do an F2 style season? Have a sprint race and a full race.

F-Red

F1 will want double fee's from the race promoters, probably won't happen as promoters won't pay it.

F-Red

I hope they dont, this situation warrants some give and take by them, teams and promoters.
There won't be much, they can't agree much as a sporting series. They will probably back to back a lot of the races, with a higher proportion of races in Europe.

mariachi-19

Not sure how some of the cash strapped teams are going to survive this, drivers have taken pay cuts to ease the situation but I am guessing some of the factory staff may start getting laid off or put on furlough for a couple of months.
Williams have apparently just taken a $50 million loan off of Latifi's oldman... leveraged their factory and the world championship winning cars as collateral....

feck me, I admire what she's trying to do, but Claire Williams needs to swallow her pride and turn the team into a Mercedes factory support team or she will lose everything.

At this stage they dont look even remotely close to winning titles again in the next 10 years so this bullshit about refusing to buy equipment off other teams is only sinking them faster. Better for sponsors to see you actually challenging for points, rather than being the laughing stock of the grid because you got left behind 10 years ago.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Williams have apparently just taken a $50 million loan off of Latifi's oldman... leveraged their factory and the world championship winning cars as collateral....

feck me, I admire what she's trying to do, but Claire Williams needs to swallow her pride and turn the team into a Mercedes factory support team or she will lose everything.

At this stage they dont look even remotely close to winning titles again in the next 10 years so this bullshit about refusing to buy equipment off other teams is only sinking them faster. Better for sponsors to see you actually challenging for points, rather than being the laughing stock of the grid because you got left behind 10 years ago.
Looks like anyone can get their son into Williams if they have a bit of cash.

mariachi-19

Looks like anyone can get their son into Williams if they have a bit of cash.
It is sad that such a great team has been withered down to a child's play thing. Seriously, you consider how great that team was/is, the people who have worked for them, race for them, won championships, races and podiums for them (Jones, Rosberg x2, Prost, Senna, Hill, Mansell, Villeneuve, Rubens, Montoya, R. Schumacher) and its now back of the field in the same place Minardi was in the early 2000's.

Sir Frank was once the F1 equivalent of Sir Alex. He didn't care who you were or what you had done for the team, if your time was up, your time was up. Sacking Hill after the 96 WDC because he thought Jacques was the future (he wasn't wrong as Jacques won him a wdc but he wasn't right as Jacques subsequently turned to shit when he didn't have far and away the best car on the grid) and it was my understanding that Sir Frank turfed Prost at the end of 93 rather than Alain just walking away. Ruthless win at all costs mentality and while Williams fell off after 97, they were never that far behind and still won races and competed for championships in 2001 and 2003.