F1 2021 Season

NM

How many passes were there on track? I don't recall one after Schumacher on Amazedhedidntspin
None. closest was Vettel coming out of the pit just ahead of Ocon or Gasly.

Folks that somehow enjoy Monaco should go to the fairground and watch the carousel go round, it's exactly the same spectacle.
I admire how difficult Monaco is to drive, but it's shit as a spectacle.

Tiber

There's serious man love for Lando Norris on Channel 4. It's nauseating.
Lando is the real deal. Deserves every bit of praise he gets.

On the other hand - I usually really enjoy Ted's notebook, but his comments yesterday about 'Maz' really coming on as a driver were nauseating.

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
None. closest was Vettel coming out of the pit just ahead of Ocon or Gasly.

I admire how difficult Monaco is to drive, but it's shit as a spectacle.
All about money.
The GP is the means to an end.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Folks that somehow enjoy Monaco should go to the fairground and watch the carousel go round, it's exactly the same spectacle.
I get the drift of what you're saying and I definitely dont enjoy it as much as other races, but seeing them go thát fast on the blind edging all walls so closely.. Its still baffles and excites me to be honest every year...
Those guys have balls of steel..

The Hilton

I get the drift of what you're saying and I definitely dont enjoy it as much as other races, but seeing them go thát fast on the blind edging all walls so closely.. Its still baffles and excites me to be honest every year...
Those guys have balls of steel..
Yeah don't get me wrong, it's impressive, but then so is the ability to draw perfect circles - doesn't make it exciting viewing for long!

They really, really need to add a decent straight, just one place where DRS can kick in and make it less dull on Sunday.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Yeah don't get me wrong, it's impressive, but then so is the ability to draw perfect circles - doesn't make it exciting viewing for long!

They really, really need to add a decent straight, just one place where DRS can kick in and make it less dull on Sunday.

I agree.. Im not getting in the Monaco is shite train, but I do think indeed it would be a good idea to re-evaluate the track to see it it can be adjusted so that there are at least some take-over possibilities..

F-Red

I agree.. Im not getting in the Monaco is shite train, but I do think indeed it would be a good idea to re-evaluate the track to see it it can be adjusted so that there are at least some take-over possibilities..
It'll never happen, the track doesn't have scope for any changes. The most that can be affected is for some aggressive tyre compounds for the race.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
It'll never happen, the track doesn't have scope for any changes. The most that can be affected is for some aggressive tyre compounds for the race.
Couldnt they broaden the road as some places?

F-Red

It's not feasible given the the dynamics of the place, and the size of the cars. The biggest change to the course they're seeing in years is the area around Portier but it still won't bring overtakes. The key things for overtakes is long straights with deep braking zones, we get that as we come out of the tunnel, but we'll never see those pressure points across the circuit.

Monaco will unfortunately be a boring race forever more.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's not feasible given the the dynamics of the place, and the size of the cars. The biggest change to the course they're seeing in years is the area around Portier but it still won't bring overtakes. The key things for overtakes is long straights with deep braking zones, we get that as we come out of the tunnel, but we'll never see those pressure points across the circuit.

Best thing they could do is make Monaco have their own 1 off kind of machinery. Put them in an F2 car or a classic f1 from the 00's. Look at the size difference between the old and new cars, no wonder they struggle now compared to previous years. Even then over taking was limited!.

I appreciate Monaco for the skill level, but IMO it's not exciting to watch as a race. I can put up with it as a 1 off, I just hope they don't do more and more street circuits in the chase of money over genuine racing.

F-Red

Best thing they could do is make Monaco have their own 1 off kind of machinery. Put them in an F2 car or a classic f1 from the 00's. Look at the size difference between the old and new cars, no wonder they struggle now compared to previous years. Even then over taking was limited!.

I appreciate Monaco for the skill level, but IMO it's not exciting to watch as a race. I can put up with it as a 1 off, I just hope they don't do more and more street circuits in the chase of money over genuine racing.
Whilst overtaking is limited, I can actually see a stronger argument for the sprint qualifying format to try to mix up the field on a Sunday. I'm not sure it'll be the complete answer but it'll add some variation to the weekend at least.

pauldyson1uk

Monaco is only good when it rains, this years was so boring, not even a safety car to spice things up.
There is no real way to alter the track, even if they could it would cost a huge amount of money.
The problem is all the driver love the place, they all want to win it, it will never be removed.
The only thing I can think of, is small cars just for Monaco, so that overtaking and passing could happen, but in reality thats not happening, maybe the big 3-4 teams could do it, but not the rest.
What's the answer ? I dont have a clue really, build a new proper racing track ? but that would take away the glamor.

Balljy

It will never happen, but Prince Albert of Monaco was talking about changing the layout a couple of years ago to move it onto some reclaimed land. I saw some examples of what would happen if it went over to the land and it included a long straight over the water followed by some passing areas, before heading back over the water back to the existing track. I am pretty sure the cost would be extreme though.

Monaco Could End Up Changing The Track Layout In Future - WTF1

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
The problem isn't Monaco, it's the same problem as every other circuit. The cars are way too big these days and impossible to follow.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Its the cars. F1 is too big and powerful for the track. Watch the Formula E highlights from two weeks ago and its probably the most exciting race I've ever seen at Monaco.

Adam-Utd

The problem isn't Monaco, it's the same problem as every other circuit. The cars are way too big these days and impossible to follow.
Its the cars. F1 is too big and powerful for the track. Watch the Formula E highlights from two weeks ago and its probably the most exciting race I've ever seen at Monaco.
Bingo. Just watch the f2 races from the same day, lots going on.

It'll never be a high number overtaking track due to the nature of the circuit, but at least it gives them a chance to send it on some corners.

Ah well. Onto Baku! that should prove at least a bit more exciting with the drag strip straight :lol:

Abizzz

Monaco is only good when it rains, this years was so boring, not even a safety car to spice things up.
There is no real way to alter the track, even if they could it would cost a huge amount of money.
The problem is all the driver love the place, they all want to win it, it will never be removed.
The only thing I can think of, is small cars just for Monaco, so that overtaking and passing could happen, but in reality thats not happening, maybe the big 3-4 teams could do it, but not the rest.
What's the answer ? I dont have a clue really, build a new proper racing track ? but that would take away the glamor.
Smaller cars for everywhere. Smaller tires and wings to go with the now tiny engines. It would make driving a lot more difficult too. All other tracks would benefit from it as well in my opinion.

ChaddyP

Why cant we just accept Monaco is more about qualifying than the actual race. Its a one off, it is completely different than any one race. If you view it as a spectacle and show case and not an actual wheel to wheel race where there's action every minute then maybe you will be less disappointed.

I would be more interested in binning Hungary which is similar but without the prestige

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Bingo. Just watch the f2 races from the same day, lots going on.

It'll never be a high number overtaking track due to the nature of the circuit, but at least it gives them a chance to send it on some corners.

Ah well. Onto Baku! that should prove at least a bit more exciting with the drag strip straight :lol:
Personally I also never understood why drivers right racing around Monaco right on the edge is boring, but blasting past someone on a straight thanks to DRS is seen as entertaining.

Also not to mention quali in Monaco is without the best of the year.

stu_1992

Personally I also never understood why drivers right racing around Monaco right on the edge is boring, but blasting past someone on a straight thanks to DRS is seen as entertaining.

Also not to mention quali in Monaco is without the best of the year.
Unless someone puts it into the wall to red flag the session just as Q3 is warming up. :p

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing

:eek:

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I love Monaco.

Yeah there's no overtaking but watching the cars go within millimetres of the barriers is brilliant.
It's a very unique track that is generally won on a Saturday.

It's nice to have a calendar with varying types of track personalities
But races aren't supposed to be won on Saturday, they're supposed to be won on Sunday.

redshaw

Maybe the new rules coming can help cars get a slipstream again out the tunnel section at Monaco or even at the first corner. We used to see overtakes and close attempts there.

Adam-Utd

Maybe the new rules coming can help cars get a slipstream again out the tunnel section at Monaco or even at the first corner. We used to see overtakes and close attempts there.
In theory yes it "should" if it works how they expect.

If you look at how Perez was closing down Norris, he should have been able to get passed him fairly easily - but once he hit the turbulent air his pace advantage was cut down to a minimal amount. With the new cars the idea is way less turbulent air so that they can follow a lot closer, then get within a striking distance without losing all grip.

The other issue is though the cars will be the same size, and actually around 30kg HEAVIER than the current cars. As much as I admire F1 in their pursuit of new hybrid technology, it's really not helped the racing.

Norris

Interesting, but you'd think that the chances of the wheel gun not perfectly aligning with the ridges of the Nut would be fairly common.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Interesting, but you'd think that the chances of the wheel gun not perfectly aligning with the ridges of the Nut would be fairly common.
There was a discussion of that in a Radio-Canada article today. The author pointed out that Wolff blamed Bottas for not parking exactly at the right spot, but then three out of four wheel crews anyway managed perfectly. Also, the fastest stop ever is one of Verstappen's in Brasil, and he was also parked slightly off the perfect spot for that one.

Bottas last weekend:

Verstappen in Brasil 2019:

Link: https://ici.radio-canada.ca/sports/...s-hamilton-toto-wolff-red-bull-max-verstappen

Adam-Utd

The issue is he pushed the trigger before engaging onto the nut.

Usually you'd have the socket fully engaged into the nut before pressing the trigger, but on this occasion he had already activated it before being attached. This socket already spinning just essentially grinded the nut to pieces.

It seems unfortunately the wheel gun man gets a nudge in the back just before he leans in, and probably causes him to hit the trigger by accident.

You can see it in this video here. Note this was already after a few attempts, but you can see how the nut is damaged.

Norris

Cheers for the replies lads. Yeah, so then just a combination of things that went wrong for Bottas then.

pauldyson1uk

Formula 1 boss Stefano Domenicali has tabled the idea of awarding bonus championship points to drivers who achieve a maximum level of domination during a Grand Prix weekend.

Staring at this summer's British Grand Prix at Silverstone, Formula 1 will trial at three venues its innovative Sprint Qualifying format where the winner will be awarded three points while second place will be worth two points and third place worth one point.

As the sport seeks new ways to incentivize drivers and improve the show for the fans, Domenicali has suggested that F1 could introduce a 'Grand Slam' of sorts, whereby a driver that qualifies on pole and wins the following day after leading every lap while also setting the fastest lap would be eligible for extra points.

Historically, such an accomplishment has been a rare occurrence in modern F1, even for seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton who carried out the feat only six times over the course of his 98 career wins in F1.

I am not opposed to this idea, it is rare and extra points for it is not a bad idea.
In a tight season, could make all the difference.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Formula 1 boss Stefano Domenicali has tabled the idea of awarding bonus championship points to drivers who achieve a maximum level of domination during a Grand Prix weekend.

Staring at this summer's British Grand Prix at Silverstone, Formula 1 will trial at three venues its innovative Sprint Qualifying format where the winner will be awarded three points while second place will be worth two points and third place worth one point.

As the sport seeks new ways to incentivize drivers and improve the show for the fans, Domenicali has suggested that F1 could introduce a 'Grand Slam' of sorts, whereby a driver that qualifies on pole and wins the following day after leading every lap while also setting the fastest lap would be eligible for extra points.

Historically, such an accomplishment has been a rare occurrence in modern F1, even for seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton who carried out the feat only six times over the course of his 98 career wins in F1.

I am not opposed to this idea, it is rare and extra points for it is not a bad idea.
In a tight season, could make all the difference.
It doesn't lead to more spectacle though, does it? I mean, if you manage to come out first after pitting during the race, then it means that you were really far ahead. Essentially, this bonus point would serve to confirm that it was a boring weekend in terms of race leadership.

dinostar77

https://www.grandprix247.com/2021/05/29/reader-writes-f1-2022-a-new-performance-level/

Interesting article, brake management could be as important as tyre management next season. Especially as you are limited to one set of pads and discs for the the entire GP weekend.

Tyre blankets are gone next season so heating up those tyres is gonna be down to the driver. Gonna make pitstops for tyre changes more perilously for being at the mercy of an overcut from your rival.

Think 2022 could be a genuine changing of the grid order for teams. But also you need a driver who will be able to adapt to the new cars and the requirements for racing them.

Leg-End

Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about the brake regulations, if we end up with cars poodling home just to save brakes or a real lack of significant running in practice sessions just so teams can save brakes for the race (once they get on top of these new cars) I don't see how that's positive but I guess we will find out.

The overcut will be massive next season though, unless they work out how to fire them up quickly (which I doubt) then it will be all about who dares to pit first.