F1 2022 Season

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
It was an easy win for him , never in trouble, Seinz was never catching him , only got close due to DRS, yes it was a decent driver, but better than Leclerc from back of the grid to 5th, not for me.
Many drivers would've made a mistake there under pressure, but Max didn't crack. I also take into account the entire weekend tbh.

Charles p5 was to be expected. I actually think first half of the race he was underperforming. Was stuck behind Ocon for ages, but then finally found his pace after a couple of (v)sc's. Decent drive, but nothing spectacular considering the difference in performance with the cars he was racing.

laughtersassassin

True, but he’s shown he has it in him to win races or hold off people (Hamilton last year), winning this year etc.

I’d be surprised if Sainz wins a race, he just doesn’t seem to have that last 5%/cutting edge that the better drivers do.
Fair but Checo only won a race last year from a Tyre Blowout and Lewis fecking up holding the Brake Magic button.

Sainz could easily get a win if similar happens in front.

pauldyson1uk

Many drivers would've made a mistake there under pressure, but Max didn't crack. I also take into account the entire weekend tbh.

Charles p5 was to be expected. I actually think first half of the race he was underperforming. Was stuck behind Ocon for ages, but then finally found his pace after a couple of (v)sc's. Decent drive, but nothing spectacular considering the difference in performance with the cars he was racing.
OK I can see your points, but its driver of the day, for me Leclerc, I will give you yes driver of the weekend was Max.

laughtersassassin

It was an easy win for him , never in trouble, Seinz was never catching him , only got close due to DRS, yes it was a decent driver, but better than Leclerc from back of the grid to 5th, not for me.
With a Checo DNF. Hardly amazing. Really to be expected.

He did well don't get me wrong but Driver of the day.... Don't think so.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
OK I can see your points, but its driver of the day, for me Leclerc, I will give you yes driver of the weekend was Max.
I’m neither here or there on this but I wouldn’t say Le Clerc was scintillating today, as much as getting to 5th would suggest. He was massively helped by the safety car, albeit conversely he was also mega let down by his team on his pit stop.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Fair it is Dotd, but for me Max got unlucky with the safety cars, but kept his cool and won the race so dotd for me.

Leclerc's final stint was great though I admit.

RepardReece

Seeing some in here say the Ferrari was faster today. Got to completely disagree with that. The only reason Sainz kept pace with Max was due to DRS, and 3-lap younger tyres. Plus Sainz could barely catch Max on 10 lap fresher tyres until Max's started to fall off drastically.

Leclerc did well with the issues he was having with the Ferrari.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Seeing some in here say the Ferrari was faster today. Got to completely disagree with that. The only reason Sainz kept pace with Max was due to DRS, and 3-lap younger tires. Plus Sainz could barely catch Max on 10 lap fresher tires until Max's started to fall off drastically.

Would've been easier to judge with Leclerc battling Max. Carlos is not on that level.

RepardReece

Would've been easier to judge with Leclerc battling Max. Carlos is not on that level.
We've seen that throughout the season so far. The red bulls race pace has just been far quicker.

Albeit Leclerc would more than likely have taken the chance on that second last lap that Sainz bottled.

ArjenIsM3

Rubbish. The Ferrari was faster because he had 3 DRS zones. The fact Max took boatloads of time away from Sainz in non-DRS sections shows this. Of course how much that is Max vs the car is debatable and certainly Max is a huge factor compared to Sainz but I wonder how you can sensibly support what you said.
Well to be honest I'm currently in Italy with a rubbish connection so I missed most of the race (and qualifying) but from what I saw Sainz, who has shown to be nowhere near Max/Leclerc's level, was able to keep on Max's arse for the final 16 laps. Yes he had DRS but normally I would expect Max to be able to push for a few laps and create enough of a gap to get out of DRS but he couldn't despite driving well by all accounts. That combined with the fact that Leclerc was able to match Max's best lap in P2 and the fact that Ferrari was faster last week (before they all broke down in spectacular fashion of course) leads me to believe that the Ferrari is the car to beat on raw pace. They've just not been reliable enough to profit from that. But I could be wrong of course. Was certainly an entertaining GP :)

laughtersassassin

Fair enough and yeah Max did well under pressure.
We all see different things, it was either Leclerc or Max.
Seeing some in here say the Ferrari was faster today. Got to completely disagree with that. The only reason Sainz kept pace with Max was due to DRS, and 3-lap younger tyres. Plus Sainz could barely catch Max on 10 lap fresher tyres until Max's started to fall off drastically.

I think it's a valid question with Sainz being fairly competitive all race.

Max and Leclerc are always miles better race pace than Checo and Sainz so the fact Sainz was very competitive all race makes it a valid question.

Either was it was very very close.

Also both Sainz and Max said the Ferrari was the quicker car this weekend. Not sure how much we value their opinions though haha.

That said think that Saftey car fecked Max over so the fact he still won was brilliant

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
We've seen that throughout the season so far. The red bulls race pace has just been far quicker.

Albeit Leclerc would more than likely have taken the chance on that second last lap that Sainz bottled.
As the guys above me explained correctly, to say the Red Bulls have had far better race pace is an exaggeration. There's no evidence for that.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Would have been tyre dependant. Charles couldn't get passed Ocon for ages and was struggling for traction out of the hairpin.

RepardReece

As the guys above me explained correctly, to say the Red Bulls have had far better race pace is an exaggeration. There's no evidence for that.
Alright, take away "far" for slightly. Otherwise agree to disagree.

laughtersassassin

Why on Earth did Ferrari put Sainz behind Verstappen on hard tyres. They already put Leclerc on mediums, put Sainz on mediums too with 20 laps to to and bunched up from the SC and he easily wins against Max on hard tyres.
He didn't have any fresh ones left.

Softs or hards where their options.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why on Earth did Ferrari put Sainz behind Verstappen on hard tyres. They already put Leclerc on mediums, put Sainz on mediums too with 20 laps to to and bunched up from the SC and he easily wins against Max on hard tyres.
The hards arent really hard here anyway, just slightly not as soft.

It wasn't a tyre issue at all IMO.

Adam-Utd

Anybody going to say how Hamilton is finished and Russell is better today?

Adam-Utd

Started four positions ahead, got priority on pit stops and strategy, was also running a lower drag setup.
That doesn't usually matter though does it if it's the other way around ;)

safety car, both 3rd and 4th on the same fresh tyres and Hamilton pulled away by a few seconds.

gormless

Alright, take away "far" for slightly. Otherwise agree to disagree.
I think overall pace is similar. However Red Bull have the greater straight line speed, which is a huge advantage in the DRS era. Been a fair few races where it’s come down to Max either holding off a Ferrari with DRS or going past using DRS towards the end of a race

hobbers

That doesn't usually matter though does it if it's the other way around ;)

safety car, both 3rd and 4th on the same fresh tyres and Hamilton pulled away by a few seconds.
To be honest I didn’t read your post properly, thought it asked how he finished ahead of Russell.

Adam-Utd

To be honest I didn’t read your post properly, thought it asked how he finished ahead of Russell.
fair enough I can see that.

I do think it's interesting though that the 2 races where there hasn't been big bouncing he's comfortably been faster.

Haven't seen him that happy after a race in a long while

The Hilton

Well to be honest I'm currently in Italy with a rubbish connection so I missed most of the race (and qualifying) but from what I saw Sainz, who has shown to be nowhere near Max/Leclerc's level, was able to keep on Max's arse for the final 16 laps. Yes he had DRS but normally I would expect Max to be able to push for a few laps and create enough of a gap to get out of DRS but he couldn't despite driving well by all accounts. That combined with the fact that Leclerc was able to match Max's best lap in P2 and the fact that Ferrari was faster last week (before they all broke down in spectacular fashion of course) leads me to believe that the Ferrari is the car to beat on raw pace. They've just not been reliable enough to profit from that. But I could be wrong of course. Was certainly an entertaining GP :)
The Ferrari doesn't have anywhere near the straight line speed that the Red Bull has - we've seen that a few times this year with the Leclerc/Max battles - and on top of that it's a lot less gentle on the tyres than the Red Bull is. Given that the RB can go faster for longer, and its strength is in overtaking (and defending against overtaking), it's fair to say that it's got better race pace. Added to the lack of reliability, and the country mile between the two teams when it comes to strategy, and the Red Bull is clearly the car to beat.

RepardReece

I think overall pace is similar. However Red Bull have the greater straight line speed, which is a huge advantage in the DRS era. Been a fair few races where it’s come down to Max either holding off a Ferrari with DRS or going past using DRS towards the end of a race
Which is what I'm getting at and why I believe red bulls race pace is better and overall the car to beat
The Ferrari doesn't have anywhere near the straight line speed that the Red Bull has - we've seen that a few times this year with the Leclerc/Max battles - and on top of that it's a lot less gentle on the tyres than the Red Bull is. Given that the RB can go faster for longer, and its strength is in overtaking (and defending against overtaking), it's fair to say that it's got better race pace. Added to the lack of reliability, and the country mile between the two teams when it comes to strategy, and the Red Bull is clearly the car to beat.
This sums it up well.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
fair enough I can see that.

I do think it's interesting though that the 2 races where there hasn't been big bouncing he's comfortably been faster.

Haven't seen him that happy after a race in a long while
I've noticed this as well. I saw some comparison photos of their different setups last couple races and it was quite obvious they both ran completely different setups. Today I read Lewis' setup was similar to George and yes he was faster. Russell still got his top 5 streak going and is doing well, but it will be interesting to see where it goes if they use similar setups more often.

laughtersassassin

Technically speaking Red Bull is more unreliable.

4 mechanical DNFs and one race 30hp down for Perez. Also Red bull have had more issues in practice if my memory serves correctly. Max getting next to no practice in Miami for instance.

Versus 3 Ferrari Mechanical DNFs

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I enjoyed this race. Really wish it was Leclerc battling with Max at the end there though, instead of Sainz.

Max is a fecking impressive bastard though. Consistently excellent.