g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

F1 2023 Season

pauldyson1uk

I think we should wait for Q3. AM are definitely much further up but the lap times are still back from last years quali and this years cars are expected to be faster. Ferrari perhaps and Red Bull will have more in the locker. No doubt AM too, but I would still sadly expect AM to be back from RB. It’s way too early to start thinking about an actual title challenge.
I have always said Q3 is the first place you should be seeing what the cars can really do.
Early indicator are saying RB are the fastest with Ferrari followed close by AM.
Ferrari ae said to be very high on tyre deg and on this track that could be a killer for them.
I am hoping Mercedes have been sandbagging and have a rocket car, but I doubt it.

pauldyson1uk

I know, but I am. The videos we see of him struggling while driving and then not being able to get out of the car properly are disturbing considering what he's doing (driving 200 mph + around other cars doing the same). We know that it only takes one tiny lapse of concentration or a mistake to cause a massive accident. It's negligence by all involved to let him race.
I one vid I have seen is quite disturbing, , 3 helping him out, holding his wrist in what looks like a splint.
How did he pass the test ? way was he given a second chance.
Yeah thinking more, letting him race is irresponsible.

pauldyson1uk

Even after the radio messages during FP2 I was giving Lance the benefit of the doubt, he has passed the test at the second attempt.
But the vid is damming, there is no way in an accident he could save himself.

pauldyson1uk

The vids that Sky have just shown are even worse for Lance, takes both hands off the steering wheel, not feeding the wheel , he is pushing the wheel.
When does his team say enough, stop and let it heal.
I know I keep harping on, but I think he is an accident waiting to happen.

JuriM

Passed the extraction test on his second attempt so I'm guessing he's good to go but yeah the guy's fighting the pain barrier whilst in that car.
If it's so bad already, it's going to get worse only in race.

United Hobbit

Is Stroll safe to drive with his hand not working properly?

Sky's feature of choosing a driver to ride on board with and having access to their radio sounds a good idea

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
He'll be wanting to drive as who knows when or if he'll ever have a car this fast again. Can't blame him, but agree that their hand should be forced. No pun intended.

United Hobbit

I know Lance is having hand issues and is bordering on unsafe and hasn't done much testing, but he's quite a way off Alonso. It'll be interesting if it stays that way especially if AM are challenging for podiums and wins - could he end up compromising them?

I like Rosberg's commentary glad he's there more often

United Hobbit

I have a prediction dilemma

McLaren are terrible, Lando must be so frustrated there's not a better seat available

United Hobbit

What McLaren? Not included them, it's the top I'm having trouble with

Why are they so bad?

Hope it stays this close in the races and through the season

redshaw

Stroll shouldn't be driving. He might have to react quickly and end up using his hands instinctively to grab the wheel and end up further injuring it or worse causing a collision by being tentative. Over a race he could end being a mobile chicane if the strain is too much.

Norris

Cheers @pauldyson1uk and @altodevil . Did the superbru one, but running into issues trying to pick the team for the F1-Fantasy league. I see no option to submit. Something I am doing wrong or the window closed?

dinostar77

Q3 is going to be interesting, i suspect RB and Ferrari probably have a engine map or two that will get maximum out of the battery.

The temperatures on track will be different as well so who knows.

Bahrain GP 2023 FP3 Timesheet

pauldyson1uk

Bahrain GP Practice Three Timesheet
DriverTeamTime
1) Fernando AlonsoAston Martin1:32.340
2) Max VerstappenRed Bull+0.005
3) Sergio PerezRed Bull+0.106
4) Lewis HamiltonMercedes+0.215
5) Charles LeclercFerrari+0.284
6) George RussellMercedes+0.391
7) Lance StrollAston Martin+0.579
8) Carlos SainzFerrari+0.605
9) Oscar PiastriMcLaren+0.705
10) Pierre GaslyAlpine+0.724
11) Esteban OconAlpine+0.776
12) Zhou GuanyuAlfa Romeo+0.840
13) Lando NorrisMcLaren+0.862
14) Kevin MagnussenHaas+1.041
15) Nico HulkenbergHaas+1.083
16) Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri+1.135
17) Valtteri BottasAlfa Romeo+1.289
18) Logan SargeantWilliams+1.325
19) Alex AlbonWilliams+1.542
20) Nyck de VriesAlphaTauri+1.742

goalscholes

So apparently the best way to win is to steal an insider at RB and copy their front axel and aero design, then use Mercedes rear suspension, engine and power unit.

As a blend between the two designs, AM is really useful data for RB and Mercedes, as it shows which parts are giving the most advantage. I wonder if it’s performance in testing has inspired Merc to make more radical changes in the first update package.

ArjenIsM3

Alonso on pole would be epic for F1
Stil think RB have been holding back a tad, dont see anything other than Max on pole
Not sure. Things haven't gone as smoothly for Red Bull as they did last week. Especially for Max who had some issues with the car in FP1. Then in FP3 they had issues getting the hard compound to work. If the cars are on par now I'd fancy Dan Fallows and Aston Martin to gain an advantage on Red Bull with the 40% extra wind tunnel and CFD time. We'll see in an hour or two who's where!

Kazi

As much as I love Fernando, I have to be honest.. I think he’s too old to consistently challenge this year even if his car’s pace is comparable to Red Bull

Abizzz

As much as I love Fernando, I have to be honest.. I think he’s too old to consistently challenge this year even if his car’s pace is comparable to Red Bull
Hmm I'm the opposite. Never really liked him but think he still has it in him if his car is competitive across the entire season. Think the experience and knowledge of ~20 years in the sport might be a deadly combination with his natural talent.

dinostar77

Interesting, RedBull have had to raise the ride height of the car between testing and this weekend for it to remain within the legality box for the plank.

hp88

Interesting, RedBull have had to raise the ride height of the car between testing and this weekend for it to remain within the legality box for the plank.
Odd thing to do really unless they were planning on running with that setup at the races.