Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

I‘m starting to wonder if currently he is the worst CB at the club. I’ve never been a major champion of Harry Maguire but week by week he’s actually getting worse than what I previously thought. So much for the signs of life against Spurs. He went straight back to The Walking Dead.

Whats more annoying early in the game he was more interested calling offside than going and dealing with a situation or backing up Varane. Then later again be it being Lazy or just not very good that he doesn’t know the basics of defending. He again tries to call offside instead of getting across to cover Bailly which leads to the goal.

He leaves a massive space between the two instead of getting round on the cover. It’s amazingly how quick and badly he is deteriorating right now.

Siviz

Supports
Swansea
He HAS to be playing injured right? he genuinely looks like he can't run.

There was a moment in the 2nd half where they had a counter attack and instead of trying to pressure the attacker, he just backed off and pointed to Bailly to come and deal with it.
That moment was linked last page (and someone even hilariously attempted do defend it);

Completely stops and moves away from the ball and player.. then proceeds to jog back only to lose track of his man again. World class pointing though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That moment was linked last page (and someone even hilariously attempted do defend it);
Maybe it looks worse as Muriel has just come on and Maguire seems to misread the bounce of the ball, but he looks SO sluggish. I don't remember him ever looking this slow before.

I really do think he's playing with some sort of injury that they're trying to manage, similar to Rashford. Even when he talks lately he just seems devoid of confidence and that aura he had when he first joined.

If Varane isn't injured for long I do think taking him out of the team is for the best at the moment.

NotQuiteManc

Suffering from some sort of injury or plain fatigue or both for the lost of form? Either way, he should rested (dropped) so he can work his way up again because his recent performances are just amateurish at times. Might not be entirely his fault because OGS overplayed many of the players last season, and some suffered lost of form towards the end.

dutchred

Maybe it looks worse as Muriel has just come on and Maguire seems to misread the bounce of the ball, but he looks SO sluggish. I don't remember him ever looking this slow before.

I really do think he's playing with some sort of injury that they're trying to manage, similar to Rashford. Even when he talks lately he just seems devoid of confidence and that aura he had when he first joined.

If Varane isn't injured for long I do think taking him out of the team is for the best at the moment.
If we are going to continue to play 3 5 2 or 3 4 3 we should play
Lindelof Varanne Shaw
Laird ( ASW till Laird is back) Telles

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I know a lot of people are disagreeing with who is more to blame than who between Bailly and Maguire and it's ok. What I don't get is the split seconds wasted by Maguire every time when he lifts his arm by appealing for offsides. Just focus on your job and let the refs do theirs

TSE123

I know a lot of people are disagreeing with who is more to blame than who between Bailly and Maguire and it's ok. What I don't get is the split seconds wasted by Maguire every time when he lifts his arm by appealing for offsides. Just focus on your job and let the refs do theirs
Noticed that as well. He lost 1/2 aa second there.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He does it to the point of comedy. Always raising his arm and it just feels desperate like his defending.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Really needs to pick up his form, been very poor. Can’t drop him this weekend unfortunately.

shahzy

Only in the team due to this nationality and price. Performance wise he's completely shit and Ive said it for over a year that lindelof is clearly better than him. Now it looks Bailly is better too.

This guy has 0 physical attributes for a team that isn't defending on top of their box. All he does is head the ball. What happens when your team doesn't try and sit back in their box and defend? He gets exposed for the woeful physique he has. I've seen geriatrics move faster than him.

But the real question is, which scout thought that would be ok? He should be fired

Apokalips

Bailly looked like a man playing with a point to prove last night. The difference in their defending was so startling there should be no excuse for Maguire still being ahead of him in the pecking order.

When Bailly was going in to tackles, making blocks and clearances it was all so sharp and quick, like he believes he is winning the ball every time and will do whatever he has to to make it. With Maguire it's all so slow, so soft, so weak for such a big lad. I imagine him as the sort of guy will apologise to a striker if be steps on his toe a little bit by accident.

Time and time again he is caught out on the ball and it looked like Atalanta had identified this and rushed to press him every time knowing 'he'll give you it'. Whatever excuses are made for him just coming back from injury or whatever I just don't buy, was he even out that long?

He needs a period out of the team and then to prove himself to earn a spot again but unfortunately I don't think Ole has that in him.
Bailly has always been the most proactive defender, his problem is injuries and sometimes erratic behaviour in being overzealous. He is the only one that actively tries to cut things out early. If he could improve he'd be great next to Varane.

Harry is so horrible and ugly to watch. I have never been a fan and think he is only a good defender, as opposed to great, but this season he has outdone himself and been horrendous. First it was Greece and now its supposedly the Euros, what's the next excuse? Even if those things had somehow affected his basic defending then he should be dropped. His interview post Liverpool match summed him up, I hate that he is our captain.

yamo123x

Big Maguire fans like myself have to admit something isnt right, he doesnt look sharp at all. Something not right.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I‘m starting to wonder if currently he is the worst CB at the club. I’ve never been a major champion of Harry Maguire but week by week he’s actually getting worse than what I previously thought. So much for the signs of life against Spurs. He went straight back to The Walking Dead.

Whats more annoying early in the game he was more interested calling offside than going and dealing with a situation or backing up Varane. Then later again be it being Lazy or just not very good that he doesn’t know the basics of defending. He again tries to call offside instead of getting across to cover Bailly which leads to the goal.

He leaves a massive space between the two instead of getting round on the cover. It’s amazingly how quick and badly he is deteriorating right now.
He's a decent defender. But that's it - decent. If he came in for about £30m and was rotated with the others he would be a perfectly fine addition. But he finds himself in a position where he's been elevated above his ability. He was made captain straightaway and is now undroppable. He seemingly dictates when he does and doesn't play, even when he's injured, and is now a massive liability.

At his best, he's a solid CB. Nothing more. When everyone is fit, he's not the best CB at the club, but he currently has the privileges of what a world-class CB (and captain) would have at a club, without the skill to go with it. That's a problem.

redshaw

Time to drop him was halftime at Leicester. Really one should see he's not ready before that but Ole has continued with him match after match now to disastrous results. Ole spent 12 months trying to play Lingard into form.

There's a few players like Maguire, Shaw, McTom that have needed to be dropped this season.

Harry has played 5 games, how many more does he need to get back to his underwhelming average self?

Pughnichi

He’s both a) been bang out of form and b) clearly rushed back far too quickly

but he was great for us last season. Lauded for not missing matches and putting in regular commanding displays. The vitriol on here re current situation isn’t at all fair and as per your typical fan forum…knee jerk for a and b listed above. B isn’t even his fault…although he should perhaps be more self aware.

I fully expect him and Varane to be a brilliant partnership when they both get regular games together and can build up their form

Valencia Shin Crosses

He's brutally slow, poor on the ball and as a distributor, and is an average reader of the game but has 0 recovery skills or bravery to put in any sort of do or die challenge. So what exactly does he bring to the side besides being a good defensive header of the ball?

He would have been sat on his ass a while back if not for being Ole's favorite man and being English. Even his Euro's performances are lauded even though he played in a super defensive side where he was hardly having to do much besides defend his own box.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It is extremely selfish from Ole then if it's all true. A player will rarely say no to starting games but if the manager cannot be wise enough about these decisions, it's fecking crazy
Reckless short-termism. The worst aspect of his management.

lex talionis

Absolutely bonkers that Ole keeps playing an obviously unfit player, even if that player is Captain. Varane and Lindelof are injured as well, although the extent of The Iceman's knock is not publicly known.

We're going to get hammered by City with or without Maguire, so we might as well -- and yes, this is a horrifying thought -- start Jones with Bailly. How much worse can an allegedly fit Jones be than a crocked Maguire?

Robbie Boy

Decent player, nothing more. Plenty of our squaddie defenders under Fergie were better than him.

C'est Moi Cantona

So is it Maguire's camp giving Ducker the details of him been rushed back too soon, or is it general knoweledge?

Adam-Utd

He's brutally slow, poor on the ball and as a distributor, and is an average reader of the game but has 0 recovery skills or bravery to put in any sort of do or die challenge. So what exactly does he bring to the side besides being a good defensive header of the ball?

He would have been sat on his ass a while back if not for being Ole's favorite man and being English. Even his Euro's performances are lauded even though he played in a super defensive side where he was hardly having to do much besides defend his own box.
This isn't the real Maguire. He's clearly playing injured.

Go back and look at old videos of Maguire even from last year and you'll see he is wooden as feck at the moment. He's pumped full of pain killers i'm sure of it.

the chameleon

This is on Ole! He plays people to the ground. Rashford a couple of seasons ago got a back injury and he kept playing Bruno without resting him or even subbing him.

Reckless man-management.

Valencia Shin Crosses

This isn't the real Maguire. He's clearly playing injured.

Go back and look at old videos of Maguire even from last year and you'll see he is wooden as feck at the moment. He's pumped full of pain killers i'm sure of it.
I've watched Maguire for years now and even at his best there were weaknesses that we were constantly discussing here in who to partner with him to help him out. His best performances with us and England have always been when we are defending deep and he can deal with a bunch of crosses into the box, which he does well. But people talk about Bailly and errors, when Maguire every game has at least one shocker of an error and it's just recently that they have started to get punished more. Not to mention he's painfully mediocre on the ball and even last night was made to look like fecking Smalling on the ball when watching his partner that doesn't get a game progress the ball up the pitch.

It's really bizarre, because we paid a world record fee for an average CB that never actually complemented how Ole thought he wanted his teams to play (on the front foot, dominating games high up the pitch).

I think what pisses me off the most still is that yet again we have a "captain" that shows 0 bravery or heart in games but because he's the "captain" he's always undroppable. Fecking no one should be undroppable especially from a teams as hot and cold as ours tends to be. But Ole seems to think Maguire is Sergio Ramos for some reason and has to start every game no matter how bad he is.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Its Harry PR. He has been awful even before his injury. And its been 2 weeks since he is back. Only after when questions started being asked, this piece came out. Why didnt anyone cover this after Leicester game?

Mooseman

A lot of talk of Maguire was great last year.
I couldnt help but took a look at the average rating in this forum for the 20-21 season.

The defense:
  • Maguire 52 Appearances 5,9 average rating
  • Shaw 47 Appearances 6.3 average rating
  • Lindelof (with back injury) 45 Appearances 5,9 average rating
  • Wan bissaka 54 Appearances 5,9 average rating
  • Bailly 21 Appearances 6,0 average rating
Thats ok for Maguire but not in any means great compared to the other cb.

(My personal opinion is that his ratings was even higher than deserved because of a common belief that he was the one we should build upon, aka he needed better partners in defence - not his fault)

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

I've watched Maguire for years now and even at his best there were weaknesses that we were constantly discussing here in who to partner with him to help him out. His best performances with us and England have always been when we are defending deep and he can deal with a bunch of crosses into the box, which he does well. But people talk about Bailly and errors, when Maguire every game has at least one shocker of an error and it's just recently that they have started to get punished more. Not to mention he's painfully mediocre on the ball and even last night was made to look like fecking Smalling on the ball when watching his partner that doesn't get a game progress the ball up the pitch.

It's really bizarre, because we paid a world record fee for an average CB that never actually complemented how Ole thought he wanted his teams to play (on the front foot, dominating games high up the pitch).

I think what pisses me off the most still is that yet again we have a "captain" that shows 0 bravery or heart in games but because he's the "captain" he's always undroppable. Fecking no one should be undroppable especially from a teams as hot and cold as ours tends to be. But Ole seems to think Maguire is Sergio Ramos for some reason and has to start every game no matter how bad he is.
There's been plenty of CB's who lack pace before.

He's always been a bit slow to turn and accelerate but not to this level, his top speed once kept him up with Sane ffs.

Lets be honest he got injured, came back too quickly and hasn't looked the same since. He isn't fit.

Something is very wrong at this club because we keep rushing players back. We have a huge squad but won't trust the squad players?!

Look at the performance Bailly put out yesterday and he must be sitting on the bench thinking WTF do I have to do to get a match? if he put in even half of that sort of performance Maguire did against Leicester he'd be sold instantly.

It's the same in midfield too. Pogba put in a bad performance, but no doubt as soon as he's unbanned he's back in the team.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He's very prone to bad decision making and blunders. I thought the 1-6 Spurs game where he wrestled Shaw to the ground for Spurs to score was a one off but he's proven over and over since then that he's prone to spectacular mistakes. I don't know how he is captain.

Yes, some might say the armband means nothing but when your perceived leader is out there blundering his way on the field giving away free goals while being generally looking mentally vulnerable and timid, it affects how the team is perceived and how other sides approach games against us. Fergie's United used to beat teams mentally before kick off. Now, everyone and their mums think they've got a chance against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.